That which must not be spoken: Stastny's future

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Id love to have him at 5.5 a year, but I have a feeling there is someone out there that would be willing to go to 6.5 even 7 especially if he has a good year statistically

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Id love to have him at 5.5 a year, but I have a feeling there is someone out there that would be willing to go to 6.5 even 7 especially if he has a good year statistically

Well yes, but If he were to put up say 40-45 point in this shortened season, then another 70+ next year, I would certainly hope the Avs are willing to throw him 6.5-7M again.

I still think Stastny has the ability to be a 70+ guy. He had a bad 2012 calendar year, but that's pretty much it. He was close to a PPG the year we drafted Landeskog before the All-Star break before hell broke lose that season. And he was pretty good down the stretch last year for us.

He could also just as easily be at 5-6 points right now rather then 1. Every shot McGinn has had that hit the post or been robbed on has been set up by Stas. He could easily have another 4-5 assists on McGinn goals right now.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Thornton wants to be comfortable more than he wants a cup. He'll probably re-sign there if they'll let him I guarantee you.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Sign ROR first then worry about Statsny imo, i like what someone said about using the money for a D-man.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It will just depend on what happens with ROR and Duchene. If ROR signs and plays well and Duchene can be consistent with his play, then Stastny becomes expendable, if one of those doesn't happen then Stastny will be needed on the team and I think will be re-signed to at least a 2-3 year deal to see how Sgarbossa does. No matter what, we should be pretty solid at C cause even if Staz isn't scoring, he's still solid in his own zone and can create chances.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
If Avs screw up the O'Reilly situation Stastny would have Avs over a barrel, so they would most likely have to give him a raise to stick around if he wants to maximize his salary. And that would kinda defeat the whole purpose of trying to keep O'Reilly's salary low in the first place. They would have been better off giving ROR $5M and trade Stastny this summer.

Ideally O'Reilly signs a reasonable contract and Stastny buys in and re-signs for $5.5M.

Yup, yup... Hopefully we'll get both. Although i dont know how much i like ROR now. Feels like he's doing everything for money (like any human would) but though he'd atleast prefer Avs over KHL.. :/ money talks...

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Stastny has been overrated since day 1 of his career in the NHL. He is worth $5 million/year and if there's any sign he won't sign for that amount I would trade him for anything and sign more skilled players in the offseason.

Yeah, he was ESPECIALLY overrated when he broke the rookie record for consecutive games with at least 1 point and finished SECOND in rookie scoring (after MALKIN) with 78 points in 82 games. That point total for a rookie, is STILL the 2nd highest in the last 6 years.

Yeah, you're right, overrated since day 1. :shakehead

I'd prefer almost every one of those options to Stastny. I'm a known Stastny hater, though, so my opinion lacks any credibility or sense of objectiveness.

Don't sell yourself short, it's not just cuz your a Stastny hater.

Of course! Jumbo Joe, the guy that's had THE TEAM in place for 5+ years but can't elevate his play in the playoffs to take his team to the next level. If anything, he's worse in the playoffs. Yeah, let's get THAT GUY and pay him $7M+, great plan!

Thornton wants to be comfortable more than he wants a cup. He'll probably re-sign there if they'll let him I guarantee you.

This.

First things first, the Avs must decide if they want to re-sign him and if he wants to re-sign with the club.

If that answer is no, from either side, I believe he'll be traded this summer. [That may FORCE the Avs to keep RoR long-term which isn't necessarily a bad thing]

If the answer is yes, I would expect a long-term deal anywhere from $5M to $5.75M which would be reasonable and along the same lines as guys like Zajac, Grabovski, Sharp and Mike Richards. I'd say that's about the right range.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Stastny currently is overpaid, I don't think it's much of a question.

He's gotta be paid like a 50-60 point center and not the 70+ guy we pay him now.

It's sort of sad, I have to think it has to do something with our personal, system, or something that causes a lot of players to degrees so quickly. I mean Svatos went from a 30 goal guy to out of the league a few years later, Wolski, etc..

marioni

Apr 3, 2011

If Stastny can get back to his best, Avs will be the ones offering those 6.5 per year..

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Stastny currently is overpaid, I don't think it's much of a question.

He's gotta be paid like a 50-60 point center and not the 70+ guy we pay him now.

It's sort of sad, I have to think it has to do something with our personal, system, or something that causes a lot of players to degrees so quickly. I mean Svatos went from a 30 goal guy to out of the league a few years later, Wolski, etc..

I don't think you'll get much of an argument from anyone. I still believe that it's possible for him to get back to the level he was once at though.

I see it quite simply this way:

- coaching staff / systems
- lack of quality wingers
- scoring is DOWN league-wide

2011-12 - 208 GF - 88PTS (20th) | 79GP 21G 32A 53PTS
2010-11 - 227 GF - 68PTS (29th) | 74GP 22G 35A 57PTS
2009-10 - 244 GF - 95PTS (12th) | 81GP 20G 59A 79PTS
2008-09 - 199 GF - 69PTS (28th) | 45GP 11G 25A 36PTS
2007-08 - 231 GF - 95PTS (10th) | 66GP 24G 47A 71PTS
2006-07 - 272 GF - 95PTS (14th) | 82GP 28G 50A 78PTS |

As you can see from the stats above, when the Avs are poor as a team, his stats are affected. SHOCKER. You could make the argument that we have a worst team because he's not producing but that's IF you want to pin the entire teams misfortunes on one player.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think you'll get much of an argument from anyone. I still believe that it's possible for him to get back to the level he was once at though.

I see it quite simply this way:

- coaching staff / systems
- lack of quality wingers
- scoring is DOWN league-wide

2011-12 - 208 GF - 88PTS (20th) | 79GP 21G 32A 53PTS
2010-11 - 227 GF - 68PTS (29th) | 74GP 22G 35A 57PTS
2009-10 - 244 GF - 95PTS (12th) | 81GP 20G 59A 79PTS
2008-09 - 199 GF - 69PTS (28th) | 45GP 11G 25A 36PTS
2007-08 - 231 GF - 95PTS (10th) | 66GP 24G 47A 71PTS
2006-07 - 272 GF - 95PTS (14th) | 82GP 28G 50A 78PTS |

As you can see from the stats above, when the Avs are poor as a team, his stats are affected. SHOCKER. You could make the argument that we have a worst team because he's not producing but that's IF you want to pin the entire teams misfortunes on one player.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
if it means we get ROR back, i want him gone, he has look so uninspired this season, i've been defending this guy for a while.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It'll come down to the time his contract ends, and the decision will be based on his own play and very much the play of Duchene and O'Reilly.

Plenty of similar players have hit free agency in recent memory.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I see we're still blaming others for Stastny's short comings.

1) this is the coach that stastny had hit BEST stastical year. So clearly that's not the issue.
2) he's played with everyone not named landeskog. Duchene, Hejduk, Stewart and jones he has sucked with all of them. Remember this guy made gags a 30 point scorer, he has the ability to make everyone better and he's just not doing that anymore.

Huis Clos*

I see we're still blaming others for Stastny's short comings.

1) this is the coach that stastny had hit BEST stastical year. So clearly that's not the issue.
2) he's played with everyone not named landeskog. Duchene, Hejduk, Stewart and jones he has sucked with all of them. Remember this guy made gags a 30 point scorer, he has the ability to make everyone better and he's just not doing that anymore.

Jones and Stewart have had their best seasons playing with Stastny. Hejduk hasn't been the same for quite some time. Care to make anything else up?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Jones and Stewart have had their best seasons playing with Stastny. Hejduk hasn't been the same for quite some time. Care to make anything else up?

Yes, he had a good season with Stewart but before Stewart was traded he sucked ass with him. Same thing with Jones he had good seasons with jones but not lately. That was my point, I should've clarified my bad. In my defense these arguments are recycled I figured everyone memorized them by now. ;)

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If Stastny's production and play continues on this same pace (as it has through 4 games), I don't see management re-signing him. I think it was a longshot that he was coming back in any event, but the ROR situation may have changed the dynamics.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
What can we get for him? Look at what Buffalo got for Derek Roy... I doubt he could get us that 1st pair d-man everyone wants.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Yes, he had a good season with Stewart but before Stewart was traded he sucked ass with him. Same thing with Jones he had good seasons with jones but not lately. That was my point, I should've clarified my bad. In my defense these arguments are recycled I figured everyone memorized them by now. ;)

He was fine with Stewart until Stewart got hurt. Then Sacco paired Stewart with Duchene when he came back then they traded him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad