That which must not be spoken: Stastny's future

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I doubt he'll sign anywhere for less than $5.5 M unless there's a huge drop off. I don't know what the ROR contract will be or Landeskog's. We're not tight up against the cap but will it be worth re-signing Stastny to $5 M+ even if we do have the space and he wants to re-sign?

We all acknowledge that he's a solid player and a top 6 centreman when he's been on his game. Early to judge the season but is it worth keeping him around or trading for a top pairing D instead and relying on Duchene/ROR for the middle?

I'm a little worried about it because I haven't really been impressed with Stastny so far though it's just 3 games in. I know he's a player you never really notice but still...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is answered by ROR's status. If the relationship with ROR can be repaired, you keep him and get rid of Stastny in the summer or by next year's deadline. Otherwise you have to keep Stastny until you have a prospect ready to step into that role.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think he will be much easier to negotiate than ROR. He knows his point production has dropped since a couple of years ago and I think he will take a hometown discount to stay, TBH.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs screw up the O'Reilly situation Stastny would have Avs over a barrel, so they would most likely have to give him a raise to stick around if he wants to maximize his salary. And that would kinda defeat the whole purpose of trying to keep O'Reilly's salary low in the first place. They would have been better off giving ROR $5M and trade Stastny this summer.

Ideally O'Reilly signs a reasonable contract and Stastny buys in and re-signs for $5.5M.

At this point everything is up in the air. My tea leaves aren't telling me anything.

There hasn't been a cup winner in ages that hasn't been strong down the middle. That's why we and everyone else have to be willing to pay for good centers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The biggest problem with our center situation is that all 3 are top 6 level players, and none of them have proven they can play wing in case we want to strengthen the top two lines or give the players the minutes they deserve (like the Sharks do with Pavelski).

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Stastny has been overrated since day 1 of his career in the NHL. He is worth $5 million/year and if there's any sign he won't sign for that amount I would trade him for anything and sign more skilled players in the offseason.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
If I'm Sherman, I'm beating down his door July 1 saying we want to make him an Av for life -- 5.5m, 8 years, NMC. "I know it's a little below your market value, but we've paid you a bit over your performance the last few years, and we want the flexibility to build a winner around you." His example in taking a discount will also go a long ways towards providing a team first example, provide even more flexibility going forward, and opportunity to win cups.

You hope to land below 6m/yr. Even if it gets up to 6.5m, it's probably ok.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
Stastny has been overrated since day 1 of his career in the NHL. He is worth $5 million/year and if there's any sign he won't sign for that amount I would trade him for anything and sign more skilled players in the offseason.

Your shtick is old, man.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Who exactly would that be? Out of centers this upcoming year brings us Getzlaf (will be re-signed or traded and re-signed), Elias (old), Connolly (ugh), McDonald (old). 2014 brings Malkin (re-signing for sure), Thornton (maybe but will be 35), Sedin (re-signing), Bergeron (possible, but highly doubt Boston would let him go), and Pavelski (if the Sharks don't re-sign Thornton, he will be re-signed). The markets are always really thin for good good centers.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Who exactly would that be? Out of centers this upcoming year brings us Getzlaf (will be re-signed or traded and re-signed), Elias (old), Connolly (ugh), McDonald (old). 2014 brings Malkin (re-signing for sure), Thornton (maybe but will be 35), Sedin (re-signing), Bergeron (possible, but highly doubt Boston would let him go), and Pavelski (if the Sharks don't re-sign Thornton, he will be re-signed). The markets are always really thin for good good centers.

I'd prefer almost every one of those options to Stastny. I'm a known Stastny hater, though, so my opinion lacks any credibility or sense of objectiveness.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd prefer almost every one of those options to Stastny. I'm a known Stastny hater, though, so my opinion lacks any credibility or sense of objectiveness.

You may, but NONE of them are realistic for this team. Any 35+ is just too old. The others are too valuable to their teams to not have their clubs do anything they can to keep them. If you don't have ROR you end up replacing Stastny with somebody like Cogliano.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd rather have a $5-6 M dman than Stastny at that cap hit tbh assuming we have Duchene/ROR.

In terms of being strong down the middle, let's just hope that Sgarbossa or Hishon can do something.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You may, but NONE of them are realistic for this team. Any 35+ is just too old. The others are too valuable to their teams to not have their clubs do anything they can to keep them. If you don't have ROR you end up replacing Stastny with somebody like Cogliano.

Tim Connolly produces as much as Stastny does now, Joe Thornton would be a great addition I see him putting up high point totals until he is 40, otherwise Pavelski, if Bergeron is available he would be a better option. If none of these are possible go with RoR at no.2 and bring up Hishon. This is all if Stastny demands anything north of $5.5 million, and IMO that is high.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Tim Connolly produces as much as Stastny does now, Joe Thornton would be a great addition I see him putting up high point totals until he is 40, otherwise Pavelski, if Bergeron is available he would be a better option. If none of these are possible go with RoR at no.2 and bring up Hishon. This is all if Stastny demands anything north of $5.5 million, and IMO that is high.

Big difference--Tim Connolly is one more head ding away from calling it a career. And you're not getting ANY of those other guys.

Honestly, if he wants to stay, I'm sure the Avs will figure something out. Yes, the previous GM overpaid him, we can all agree on that, and that's one of the reasons he's now the previous GM.

However, if a team does end up forking over big $$$ for his services, best of luck to him. No hard feelings.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Connolly :laugh: The guy is so bad that he can't stick with the Leafs right now. Not to mention he has surpassed 60 points ONCE in his career. Thornton will be looking for a cup... doubtful he comes he if he has anything left by then. Pavelski will be re-signed in San Jose. Couture and Pavelski will be their 1-2 punch when Thornton leaves. Bergeron will be re-signed by Boston.

Hishon still isn't playing, yet you think he can step in to that role :help:. ROR has an unsure future here. You could have at least said Sgarbossa will be ready.

If ROR isn't on the team, you have to go all the way up to 6.5m for Stastny. He isn't worth it, but it is better to overpay a 60 point #2C by ~1m than to have a slightly cheaper 40 point #2C.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
If I'm Sherman, I'm beating down his door July 1 saying we want to make him an Av for life -- 5.5m, 8 years, NMC. "I know it's a little below your market value, but we've paid you a bit over your performance the last few years, and we want the flexibility to build a winner around you." His example in taking a discount will also go a long ways towards providing a team first example, provide even more flexibility going forward, and opportunity to win cups.

Agreed with this.

Huis Clos*

False. Connolly is coming off of a 36 point season. Additionally, Stastny's career PPG is much higher than Connolly's career mark.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I think he will be much easier to negotiate than ROR. He knows his point production has dropped since a couple of years ago and I think he will take a hometown discount to stay, TBH.

I agree with this. 5.5 at most seems fair.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Joe Thornton? Joe Pavelski? Patrice Bergeron?

Thornton aside who's older and would be on the decline, are you telling me you'd consider building Stastny trades around either of Pavelski or Bergeron? Ask Sharks and Bruins fans how that would go.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd rather have a $5-6 M dman than Stastny at that cap hit tbh assuming we have Duchene/ROR.

In terms of being strong down the middle, let's just hope that Sgarbossa or Hishon can do something.

I have high hopes for Sgarbossa now, given what he's done in the AHL this year. Before the lockout he was facing some tough competition, lots of young NHLers down there, and he was still playing real close to a ppg. Now that the NHLers have left he's doing even better(4 Pts in 2 Games I think, 3 last night).

At this point I think its very realistic Sgarbossa develops into a 55 Point C with a decent gritty 2 way game(Sound strangely familiar to a Russian fried of our).

Hishon is a huge question mark. If he can start playing again and stay healthy, no doubt he's a top 6 player. Kid has ridiculous puck skills and playmaking ability. Problem is health and at this point I wouldn't bank on anything with Hishon.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
If it's a choice between ROR or Stastny, I'd take ROR. I think re-signing Stastny could be troublesome, especially if Duchene breaks out offensively and we sign ROR long-term. Stastny and O'Reilly will be perpetually competing for the #2 center spot. In such an event, we'd end up paying an uncomfortably large salary for our #3 center.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Giving Stastny 6.5M/yr until the age of 36 or 37 would be a disaster.

Around 5M/yr for 5 years would be nice. There have been quite a few ridiculous contracts handed out so he'll probably get more than that on the open market but maybe he'll take a bit less to stay. If he refuses to take a paycut, I would definitely trade him.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Until someone steps up and proves they can be a playmaker, Stastny remains quite valuable to the team. Right now, there's a lot of questions with O'Reilly and Duchene. And while Stastny hasn't had the production of late that we'd all like to see, we at least know his capabilities.

Basically, this conversation needs to wait until we see if Stastny can ever get close to what he used to be, how far Duchene progresses, and what happens with O'Reilly. Too many variables at this point.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Giving Stastny 6.5M/yr until the age of 36 or 37 would be a disaster.

Around 5M/yr for 5 years would be nice. There have been quite a few ridiculous contracts handed out so he'll probably get more than that on the open market but maybe he'll take a bit less to stay. If he refuses to take a paycut, I would definitely trade him.

I agree with your contract terms and with the idea of trading him if more is demanded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad