Post-Game Talk: That was all Eberle, right? Nilsson 2-1 Dal OT

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
What did Fayne do? I only really saw the penalty (which was a good call, if one that wasn't made consistently against the white sweaters).

He really hasn't panned out. I had moderate hopes that he would be a decent 4-5 and PK guy, but he just seems to float his way through the game

He lost his check off the draw which resulted in the 1st goal. He has been terrible this year. Very scary. On one of the PK, he had a chance to ice it and shot it right to a dman. Where is Davidson?

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I like that Khaira doesn't panic and throw away the puck when pressured along the boards, Oilers still do way too much of that. A number of times Khhaira made the smart, simple play to get the puck out of trouble.

Very, very impressed with Khaira. He plays the KISS game and uses his size. Size wins in the west. I bet he can scrap if need be as well. I like what TM is doing. He is putting sandpaper with skilled guys. I have said that for years is what is killing the Oilers. Someone has to go get the puck in the corners. Look at the Isles big line in the 80's. Bossy-Trottier-Gillies. Bossy-sniper, Trots-set-up man, Gillies-sandpaper. Same as McJesus-Yak-Pouliot.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

LETS GO OIL!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hopefully this is a sign of a few things to come.

1. We won a game we shouldn't have. How many of those have we had the past 5 years with our CFL(although this year the Esks got a few finally) or NHL team?

2. Eberle. By all accounts he's one of the top candidates to be traded before next season. Regardless if he stays or goes, the fire he showed after he scored is what this team needs.

3. Nilsson. Gave us more than we could ask for. Made a smart play in OT by keeping the play going. Granted we were the stronger teams on the draw last night, he holds that puck for a draw and the game could be a lot different. That and well he's the only reason we really won so all the credit in the world to him for that game.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tuned in to the game in the second but man, really liking Khaira's play. Eberle looked like he had some close calls but really glad he could put in the GWG. Sekera was a beast on defense and Drai was on the last shift of the game but the guy who stole it for us was definitely Nilsson.

yeah khaira plays a very simple game for sure.... always finishes his checks, goes into the corners, doesn't have the worst hands in the world (although they aren't good), and his skating (while not a plus) hasn't been a travesty or anything... seems like a guy that with a 100-150 more NHL games could be a reliable 3rd/4th liner

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He lost his check off the draw which resulted in the 1st goal. He has been terrible this year. Very scary. On one of the PK, he had a chance to ice it and shot it right to a dman. Where is Davidson?

fayne has been an absolute TRAINWRECK this year... davidson has been miles and miles better than him... fayne needs some more time in the pressbox... sadly, this guy is signed for another 2 years after this one :( thanks again macT

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
fayne has been an absolute TRAINWRECK this year... davidson has been miles and miles better than him... fayne needs some more time in the pressbox... sadly, this guy is signed for another 2 years after this one :( thanks again macT

I don't know that it was that bad of a signing even after seeing Fayne this year. I never thought he was that guy that can play on the top pairing or anything, but he should've at the very least been a very solid #4 for us.

It's not like the guy is old by any means. Not really sure what the hell is wrong with the guy though.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

It's astounding how many of MacT's guys are just dog **** this year. Pouliot is looking junky now too. I mean I know he's banged up atm, but I haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Was a passenger on the McDavid line, and fell into the abyss once McDerbs got injured.

I can't see how Chiarelli doesn't fire MacT in the summer. The damning evidence against him is just piling up like crazy.

Scrivens
Nikitin
Ference
Fayne
Pouliot
Purcell
Screwing the Oilers over on Petry
Dallas ****ing Eakins love in

I probably missed some, but what a freaking **** show.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I don't know that it was that bad of a signing even after seeing Fayne this year. I never thought he was that guy that can play on the top pairing or anything, but he should've at the very least been a very solid #4 for us.

It's not like the guy is old by any means. Not really sure what the hell is wrong with the guy though.

You can see the anger and disappointment in his reaction after he got caught on the wrong side of his man for the goal against. He knows he's making those mistakes, yet he keeps making them.

I don't know if it's attention to detail or if he's got something going on at home that's leaking over to his on ice performance, but something has him discombobulated these days.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
very, very impressed with khaira. He plays the kiss game and uses his size. Size wins in the west. I bet he can scrap if need be as well. I like what tm is doing. He is putting sandpaper with skilled guys. I have said that for years is what is killing the oilers. Someone has to go get the puck in the corners. Look at the isles big line in the 80's. Bossy-trottier-gillies. Bossy-sniper, trots-set-up man, gillies-sandpaper.

so true.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Glad that Eberle hasn't been completely invisible the last two games and has finally decided to help the team. The usual suspects who make every excuse under the sun for him and think he can do no wrong though thinking that a shootout goal and an overtime goal in two games where he played horribly in regulation means that previous criticism against him was unwarranted makes me chuckle though.

A double standard is making excuse after excuse for players that are mired in poor stretches and blaming it on every other factor than their play on the ice. This is the exact lack of accountability previous management and coaches have had leading these players to develop bad habits that encouraged this type of lackadaisical play. The scoring chances Eberle is missing are shocking, his lack of ability to be an offensive catalyst is even more shocking considering a pylon has a better two way game.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Glad that Eberle hasn't been completely invisible the last two games and has finally decided to help the team. The usual suspects who make every excuse under the sun for him and think he can do no wrong though thinking that a shootout goal and an overtime goal in two games where he played horribly in regulation means that previous criticism against him was unwarranted makes me chuckle though.

A double standard is making excuse after excuse for players that are mired in poor stretches and blaming it on every other factor than their play on the ice. This is the exact lack of accountability previous management and coaches have had leading these players to develop bad habits that encouraged this type of lackadaisical play. The scoring chances Eberle is missing are shocking, his lack of ability to be an offensive catalyst is even more shocking considering a pylon has a better two way game.

You're aware Eberle's poor play cost resulted in him losing his spot on the Hall-Draisaitl line to Jujhar, right?

There might be a double standard from the fans regarding their favourite players, but for the time being it looks like the coaches are more than willing to move guys up and down the lineup based on their current play rather than draft pedigree, cap hit or whatever.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Nilson...wow!

30th place teams plays the 1st place team. I don't care how we got the two points, just that we did. Excellent job! We lost too many games so far that maybe we should have won. Nice for the tables to be turned for a change.

As bad as this team seems to have been, we're now 5 points behind 3rd in the Division and 9 behind 1st with just under 60 games to go and the team playing better. I am optismistic!

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Very, very impressed with Khaira. He plays the KISS game and uses his size. Size wins in the west. I bet he can scrap if need be as well. I like what TM is doing. He is putting sandpaper with skilled guys. I have said that for years is what is killing the Oilers. Someone has to go get the puck in the corners. Look at the Isles big line in the 80's. Bossy-Trottier-Gillies. Bossy-sniper, Trots-set-up man, Gillies-sandpaper. Same as McJesus-Yak-Pouliot.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

LETS GO OIL!

Has to be skilled sandpaper ala Pouliot.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

LETS GO OIL!

Enjoyed seeing Khaira on the Drai/Hall line. Man, that line is a wrecking ball for opponents. They just crush through walls. Even against one of the most dominant lines in the league they looked like gold. They even physically had the upperhand. We don't need somebody really fancy in that spot, just somebody that can support puck possession, not give the puck away, and add to the physical dimensions of that giant line.

I don't know that we've ever had a line like that in Oil Country. Virtual Redwoods. That's 622lbs of beef on the hoof and averaging 6 foot 2 on that line. With all of them exceedingly strong for their weight. Theres no D pair in the world that can handle that sheer physicality.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's astounding how many of MacT's guys are just dog **** this year. Pouliot is looking junky now too. I mean I know he's banged up atm, but I haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Was a passenger on the McDavid line, and fell into the abyss once McDerbs got injured.

I can't see how Chiarelli doesn't fire MacT in the summer. The damning evidence against him is just piling up like crazy.

Scrivens
Nikitin
Ference
Fayne
Pouliot
Purcell
Screwing the Oilers over on Petry
Dallas ****ing Eakins love in

I probably missed some, but what a freaking **** show.

Its like dry heaves coming out. Get it out pal, get it all out. you'll feel better ;)

Been der, dundat.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Enjoyed seeing Khaira on the Drai/Hall line. Man, that line is a wrecking ball for opponents. They just crush through walls. Even against one of the most dominant lines in the league they looked like gold. They even physically had the upperhand. We don't need somebody really fancy in that spot, just somebody that can support puck possession, not give the puck away, and add to the physical dimensions of that giant line.

I don't know that we've ever had a line like that in Oil Country. Virtual Redwoods. That's 622lbs of beef on the hoof and averaging 6 foot 2 on that line. With all of them exceedingly strong for their weight. Theres no D pair in the world that can handle that sheer physicality.
I agree.

I'm hoping Khairas love for laying the body gets Hall hitting like he is able to. When Hall decides to lay a hit he can completely destroy guys.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

This is why we cannot trade this year pick. Instead look to move the guys that are easy to play against

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
:laugh:

It just bugs me that he's still in the organization after all this damage he's caused. Demotion is not enough.

Eakins face or MacT shocked face on a dart board isn't nearly enough. not even printed toilet paper is having the desired effect...;) Although the flush is somewhat satisfying.

ps for sensitive members of the crowd I am only joking..

But I mean really, a face like this is a natural, you know. What a complete gobsmacked appearance. That and the Lowe balloon clown hat and Tambo and Eakins in any picture...

Theres no words...

B3_jEy1CEAIvW4f.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
like Nilsson from the hilights I saw--Unless the wheels fall off of Nillsson--I do not see Talbot being on this team next year

That depends. If Nilsson outplays him but Talbot is a good trooper and still gives us respectable goaltending as a backup he could still return unless the plan is to move Brossoit up to the big club next season. Either way whether it's Talbot or Nilsson, I'm hoping that one of them can be a solid presence while Brossoit breaks into the NHL whether that's next season or the following one.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Fayne problem is like Ference. We get mediocre guys from good heavily stuctured teams who come to this mess and struggle.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
:laugh:

It just bugs me that he's still in the organization after all this damage he's caused. Demotion is not enough.

Chia kept him around because he wanted someone with experience that knew the lineup to get him familiar. Someone who could give him valuable advice like "Nikitin is a top 4 D" and "Purcell, Fayne and Pouliot are Corsi gods" and "you can check off your goalie box as soon as you sign 2 goalies with good stats after half a season worth of games on their resume".

What would Chia have done without MacT? I wouldn't want to find out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Eberle went for an X-ray on his foot...might be broken.if that's the case we are missing over half our top 6.... The ****

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
couple of wins and we're back in the thick of things....8 pts separates 4 from 14th in the west.:laugh:
It's December and the Oilers are still in it, they can push for a play off spot!! I still believe.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad