Post-Game Talk: That was all Eberle, right? Nilsson 2-1 Dal OT

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I totally missed the game, had a buddy over jamming.

Great that the Oilers won. Good to hear that Nilsson played rather well.

A couple of questions.

How was the D?

Why is everyone being hard on Ebs. Did he have a really bad game? Or are people pissed off that he got a star? I myself am an Eberle supporter, but is he faltering as much as when he just got back. He is putting up points when we need them apparently.

I thought Fayne had a really rough night.

Gryba kept his puck handling to a minimum and everyone was better for it.

Klefbom and Schultz were quiet and that's a good thing.

Nurse battles like a MoFo. He is getting beat more often than you want to see from a guy playing the minutes he does, but then you remember he's 20 and you smile.

Sekera earned his paycheck tonight.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Eberle was drafted 22, and there isn't a single forward drafted ahead of him that you'd rather have except obviously Stamkos.

When I draft 1OV, I don't expect to get a "cheap, mediocre player".
Draft position matters for a single day of the year. And if you want to compare you compare to the same draft class. Some draft classes are much better than others.

I'm not a Yak defender at all but stuff like that is ridiculous.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Draft position matters for a single day of the year.
Single day? Excuse me. This team (and its fans) went through an entire season of putrid hockey and shame to have the chance to draft Yakupov.
And unless we have no capspace, salary only matters to Katz. Since we aren't suffering a cap crunch, salary is the meaningless point in this discussion.
And if you want to compare you compare to the same draft class.
Exactly as I did.
I'm not a Yak defender at all but stuff like that is ridiculous.
No, what's ridiculous is giving a first overall pick a pass because his "mediocre" play makes him "cheap".

McDeathbyCheerios*

Single day? Excuse me. This team (and its fans) went through an entire season of putrid hockey and shame to have the chance to draft Yakupov.
And unless we have no capspace, salary only matters to Katz. Since we aren't suffering a cap crunch, salary is the meaningless point in this discussion.
Exactly as I did.
No, what's ridiculous is giving a first overall pick a pass because his "mediocre" play makes him "cheap".
Where am I giving him a pass.

I'm saying its easier to get mad at RNH and Eberle then Yak cause its the norm for Yak.

I'm not giving him a pass at all. I don't get where you are getting that at all.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Eberle was drafted 22, and there isn't a single forward drafted ahead of him that you'd rather have except obviously Stamkos.

When I draft 1OV, I don't expect to get a "cheap, mediocre player".

The Oilers would have been much better off if they had not won the draft lottery in 2012. It would have allowed the Blue Jackets to select Ryan Murray 1OV and that would have lessened the expectations on Yakupov.

Seriously, go back and look at that draft. Who is the best player in that draft class right now?

Galchenyuk? You're not drafting him 1OV after missing basically his entire draft year with an injury.
Trouba? Rielly? Lindholm? Geez could you imagine the backlash if the Oil went off the board and selected a Dman with that pick...

What a cluster**** that draft turned out to be.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Where am I giving him a pass.

I'm saying its easier to get mad at RNH and Eberle then Yak cause its the norm for Yak.

I'm not giving him a pass at all. I don't get where you are getting that at all.
You replied to me. I replied to you. I never used the pronoun "you" at all.
I was making a general comment.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The Oilers would have been much better off if they had not won the draft lottery in 2012. It would have allowed the Blue Jackets to select Ryan Murray 1OV and that would have lessened the expectations on Yakupov.

Seriously, go back and look at that draft. Who is the best player in that draft class right now?

Galchenyuk? You're not drafting him 1OV after missing basically his entire draft year with an injury.
Trouba? Rielly? Lindholm? Geez could you imagine the backlash if the Oil went off the board and selected a Dman with that pick...

Exactly. Yak would of been 6-10 at best in most of the recent drafts.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Would have taken Murray, we needed a dman and he was the most highly touted.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Oh, I don't disagree with that. And McCheerio probably has it right when he says that expectations on Yak are unrealistic.

None of that takes away from the way Eberle has crushed his draft position and pretty much everyone in the draft class.

Yak fans on this site (not McCheerio or you) chose to make it an Eberle vs Yakupov thing. They should have to live with the realities of that comparison.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

That entire first round is just strange. I don't blame the Oilers for taking the best player available to them at the moment. We would probably be just as disappointed if we'd taken Ryan Murray with that pick. He's a really nice kid IRL and all, but he'd get chewed up in Edmonton because of his size and style of play.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013

Yak coming out of junior is a very different prospect than Yakupov after 3 seasons in the NHL.

I'm obviously biased towards him because I'm a fan, but I'll admit he hasn't really lived up to his expectations. Nobody in his draft year really has, to be frank.

Galchenyuk? He has 23 more points over his career on a superior team. Murray has been injured more often than he's been contributing at an NHL level. We now have the 4th overall on our team as well. The only forward taken in the top 15 who looks to be objectively better than Yakupov has been Forsberg, playing on a much better team, and discounting the fact that Yakupov looked like an elite goal scorer in his rookie year.

Yes, at the end of the day, it's too bad that we drafted first overall in a weak, weak draft year, but there's no re-writing that Yakupov was by far the consensus pick at the time of that draft.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Mark Fayne was horrible tonight. One of the worst games he's had as an Oiler and I feel lucky to have been in attendance for it. He got walked by Seguin early and then Benn got a breakaway minutes later that was his fault as well iirc. It kind of became a running joke that every bad play was Fayne, because half the time you were right.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Would have taken Murray, we needed a dman and he was the most highly touted.

That's easy to say now but the truth is Murray wasn't ready to go to the NHL as an 18 year old and if the Oil had selected him 1OV and then sent him back to junior they would have been lynched for doing so.

Murray spent most of his draft +1 season in the press box, injured. Yakupov slid down the ice on his knees and led the Oilers in goals as a rookie.

Hindsight is 50-50, but I have a hard time believing many teams would have done it differently if they were in the Oilers shoes.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Oh, I don't disagree with that. And McCheerio probably has it right when he says that expectations on Yak are unrealistic.

None of that takes away from the way Eberle has crushed his draft position and pretty much everyone in the draft class.

Yak fans on this site (not McCheerio or you) chose to make it an Eberle vs Yakupov thing. They should have to live with the realities of that comparison.

Only a fool would compare Yakupov to Eberle. They might play the same position and be about the same height, but they're absolutely polar opposites to each other. Hell they even address the puck from different sides.

Apples to Oranges.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
That's easy to say now but the truth is Murray wasn't ready to go to the NHL as an 18 year old and if the Oil had selected him 1OV and then sent him back to junior they would have been lynched for doing so.

Murray spent most of his draft +1 season in the press box, injured. Yakupov slid down the ice on his knees and led the Oilers in goals as a rookie.

Hindsight is 50-50, but I have a hard time believing many teams would have done it differently if they were in the Oilers shoes.

Its not hindsight at all, there was lots of talk that the Oilers might select Murray at #1 because its what they needed. What is hindsight is mentioning the injury of Murray, and how can you prevent injury exactly.

I bet Columbus would not trade Murray for Yakupov today, even with the injuries Murray has had, and with Yakupov sliding down the ice leading the team in goals at 30% shooting percentage.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Fayne was the most visible 8 minute player I've seen this year, and not in a good way. He tried his best to lose the game for us but Nilsson wouldn't let him.

Yup, he was absolutely brutal tonight. There is no way he should see the ice again for quite some time.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

You could not be more wrong. Cap hit matters. Period.

RNH and Eberle have not provided good value for their contracts this season due to their lackluster play. Yak has also under-performed when you look at his draft status, but taking his contract into consideration (which is more important), he's been good value. Now, if he finds his game, he will be performing above the level that the Oilers are paying him for. That's a steal.

This talk of draft position is the meaningless stuff. Draft position is the past, whereas cap, cap hits, salaries are the present and future that teams have to deal with on a daily basis.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Oilers win a game they should have lost.
McDeathbyCheerios defends Yakupov.
Hell freezes over.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Jujhar Khaira went from a fringe fourth line prospect to getting a shot beside Hall and Draisaitl. Even if it's just for a game it's amazing where hard work and doing all the little things can get you.

and the fact that everyone else sucks on our team haha. JK, but im happy the big man got his shot on the top line, didn't look too out of place as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad