Post-Game Talk: That got ugly

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Sorry, not my job...
But Caps are already above the Wings, Florida will be soon and even Van has a chance to overcome
In other words, you can't find any as I figured. These teams are all near us in the standings, but you seem to be arguing that they are overcoming injuries to the same extent we have and are doing a better job at it. You're not making the argument you think you are, but whatever you say.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
In other words, you can't find any as I figured. These teams are all near us in the standings, but you seem to be arguing that they are overcoming injuries to the same extent we have and are doing a better job at it. You're not making the argument you think you are, but whatever you say.
LOL... I'll make it easy...

CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps Look at the LTIR column and tell me what you see, if you choose to do so.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Only healthy guy(who ever it is) walking around the locker room.
giphy.gif

Half of the guys looks like they are injured and the other half looks exhausted. And the schedule doesn't get any easier...

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
LOL. "A bunch of bubble teams have just as many injuries as another bubble team (the Wings) and that proves we suck" is your argument but you refuse to back it up.

Gotcha.
I said injuries is not an excuse to suck. Good teams overcome injuries. Bad teams struggle.
Wings are a bad team still, despite spending 20 million on "Depth"

Ducks just beat Oilers in regulation for their 8th ROW win. Funny as hell.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They were 14-13-3 through 30 GP last year and 13-11-6 this year.

Thanks for looking it up, I think that explains why fans aren't happy. Even with injuries, the roster looks better right now than it did last season at the 30 game mark.

Blash > Lalonde, at least so far

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think we were all pretty content with the team at this point last year. The wheels started to fall off in January/February which is what I think cost Blashill the job.

Exactly when Ned started shitting the bed. Lalonde has a better option than Greiss. (Can't blame the goalie for this game though.)

Line combinations today (ES &PP) were more confounding than anything Blash ever threw out on the ice. I think your average 10 year old fan could have thrown together better lines.

Reactions: Ulysses31
Oct 18, 2006
Thought Ras was the most noticeable forward. Made things happen and was a beast down low.

Veleno had a strong game after being awful against Minnesota. Berggren had his toughest NHL outing. Soderblom picked up his first assist and looked good. Suter had a great first period then fell out of the game. We need more from Raymond but I understand he’s sick.

Copp was woeful, just really bad. Seider, after perhaps his best game of the season against the Wild, reverted back to his season self and was invisible. Doesn’t seem to be playing with any enjoyment or confidence.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Detroit's injuries aren't as bad as what other teams are going through for the talent they've lost. The problem is Detroit has a playoff caliber 2nd line and 2 defensemen and the rest is filler. You can't blame injuries when your team so lacks talent that an injury or two is enough to derail the team.
Honestly I thought you were making the exact opposite argument.

BECAUSE the Wings are still thin on talent, that's exactly why some key injuries are really going to impact their play.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Exactly when Ned started shitting the bed. Lalonde has a better option than Greiss. (Can't blame the goalie for this game though.)

Line combinations today (ES &PP) were more confounding than anything Blash ever threw out on the ice. I think your average 10 year old fan could have thrown together better lines.
The wheels coming off the back half of last season had a lot bigger reasons than just Ned. The whole team was scrambling defensively, not trusting one another, not having any system, and they could never right the ship.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
You just described the last 10 games, lol.
theres been some puck watching and running around for sure, but not to the level of the back half of last season.

The Wings won 14 of their 41 games in the back half of last season.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Honestly I thought you were making the exact opposite argument.

BECAUSE the Wings are still thin on talent, that's exactly why some key injuries are really going to impact their play.
My argument is that the team isn't deep enough to move out of the rebuild, and adding filler players that can't step up just puts Detroit in the worst spot possible. Too good to draft the best talent, too bad to even be called a bubble team.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
My argument is that the team isn't deep enough to move out of the rebuild, and adding filler players that can't step up just puts Detroit in the worst spot possible. Too good to draft the best talent, too bad to even be called a bubble team.
“The red wings are Not deep enough so we shouldn’t sign depth”

The problem with some of you is think building a team is a linear process. That’s almost never how it happens. Look at the avs, going back to 2007 their 1st round picks have been

2007: 14th overall - Shattenkirk - later traded for Johnson who has been with the team ever since
2008: N/A
2009: 3rd overall - Matt Duchene
2010: 17th overall - Joey Hishon
2011: 2nd overall - Landeskog
2012: N/A
2013: 1st overall - Mackinnon
2014: 24th overall - Connor Bleakly
2015: 10th overall - Ratanen
2016: 10th overall - Tyson Jost
2017: 4th overall - Makar
2018: 16th overall - Martin Kaut
2019: traded Duchene and acquired a 1st that turned out to be 14th overall
2019: 16th overall - Newhook

The reality is, even in the best case scenarios a rebuild is absolute roller coaster and can take up to 16 years with significant progress and major setbacks all along the way.

You need to incrementally add talent and chip away at the process. There is rarely a linear path baring insane amounts of luck.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
“The red wings are Not deep enough so we shouldn’t sign depth”

The problem with some of you is think building a team is a linear process. That’s almost never how it happens. Look at the avs, going back to 2007 their 1st round picks have been

2007: 14th overall - Shattenkirk - later traded for Johnson who has been with the team ever since
2008: N/A
2009: 3rd overall - Matt Duchene
2010: 17th overall - Joey Hishon
2011: 2nd overall - Landeskog
2012: N/A
2013: 1st overall - Mackinnon
2014: 24th overall - Connor Bleakly
2015: 10th overall - Ratanen
2016: 10th overall - Tyson Jost
2017: 4th overall - Makar
2018: 16th overall - Martin Kaut
2019: traded Duchene and acquired a 1st that turned out to be 14th overall
2019: 16th overall - Newhook

The reality is, even in the best case scenarios a rebuild is absolute roller coaster and can take up to 16 years with significant progress and major setbacks all along the way.

You need to incrementally add talent and chip away at the process. There is rarely a linear path baring insane amounts of luck.
It definitely is but their Norris caliber d-man and their franchise center weren't drafted when they were a bubble team.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It definitely is but their Norris caliber d-man and their franchise center weren't drafted when they were a bubble team.
Arguably they were. They drafted 24th, 10th 10th in the 3 seasons between drafting their two franchise players.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Arguably they were. They drafted 24th, 10th 10th in the 3 seasons between drafting their two franchise players.
Cherry picked where they drafted 2nd overall before getting MacK and 10th isn't a bubble position, that's pretty firmly outside in 14-15 where they were last in the central division.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Hope we win before 1/14/23 against Jackets. Those games will be tough

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Cherry picked where they drafted 2nd overall before getting MacK and 10th isn't a bubble position, that's pretty firmly outside in 14-15 where they were last in the central division.

The only one cherry picking is the person that wants to ignore certain seasons.

Bottom line is rebuilding is not linear. There will be up and down seasons in the process

Reactions: SoupNazi

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
at least everyone sucked together?
Except maybe Hronek. He is maybe the most improved player from the last season.

This was an ugly loss.

Why can't we discuss the game in this thread?

What can we learn from this game and the Sens?
Their PP looks amazing, our sucks. Is their PP the best in the league last 10 games?

The major difference between this team and last season's team is that last season at one point we were the best home team in the league, but we couldn't win on the road. This season we are much better on the road, but we struggle at home. We have 1 point in last 5 games at home.

Before these late losses we were 3 in division, 5 conference, 8 league.
Now we have fallen to 19th in the league. 11 places.

I don't like our PP. I don't like the soft goal allowed by Husso. Husso has been our MVP but i have seen some weak and weakish goals. Not many but this team can't afford them.

Are Raymond and Seider struggling as we expected?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for looking it up, I think that explains why fans aren't happy. Even with injuries, the roster looks better right now than it did last season at the 30 game mark.

Blash > Lalonde, at least so far

To be fair though, Blash had two tremendous rookies playing very well and this year they have both struggled. They are big in whether we do well or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad