Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
No, he most certainly does not. If he had any type of shot - wrist, snap, slap - he'd be an effective player.

You shouldn't need a Flyers skill comp to tell you if he has a heavy or effective shot. Can you even remember a time the guy has taken a slap shot? He even admits he never takes them. Having a heavy slap shot and then never taking a slap shot, but labeling the guy as having a heavy shot? It'd be like describing a knuckle ball pitcher who had a fastball clocked at 103, but never throws a fastball, as a flame-thrower.

The only shot JVR takes is a wrist shot, and if it had any sort of heat, accuracy, or release he'd be scoring at a ridiculous pace, because with his skating, size, and reach, he almost routinely gets clear shots from the left wing.

So say what you mean man. He quite clearly has a shot. As you said, its his slow release/hesitation that's an issue. Give him more than two freakin games.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
So say what you mean man. He quite clearly has a shot. As you said, its his slow release/hesitation that's an issue. Give him more than two freakin games.

Kinda did. Funny you didn't quote the part where I mentioned the trade will ultimately prove irrelevant for both teams. That was the basic gist of what I wanted to post.

The part I was unclear about initially I clarified. Having a heavy slapshot that you never use...I wouldn't even make mention of it. He takes wrist shots. They're not effective.

What I wasn't saying is these two games are the sample size for determining how well the players are doing on their new teams. From what I've seen it looks like both players are essentially the same players they were on their old team.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Kinda did. Funny you didn't quote the part where I mentioned the trade will ultimately prove irrelevant for both teams. That was the basic gist of what I wanted to post.

The part I was unclear about initially I clarified. Having a heavy slapshot that you never use...I wouldn't even make mention of it. He takes wrist shots. They're not effective.

What I wasn't saying is these two games are the sample size for determining how well the players are doing on their new teams. From what I've seen it looks like both players are essentially the same players they were on their old team.

This is true and at the same time completely unremarkable, no? I personally didn't expect the Flyers to trade for Luke Schenn and get Scott Stevens. I'm willing to give him a little time to see what all he can do.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Wow, and Flyer fans are supposed to be tough! It's only two games, if he scores 6 goals in 40 games this year then feel free to rip him.

As far as Schenn, I've read in here that he looks more mobile than last year. :amazed: Thought he looked real slow. Hopefully he gets better. He has to perfect his positioning, because he's not quick enough to cover a mistake. I'm hoping he becomes a long term solution, we can use it back there.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
One of the few Flyers I enjoyed watching when he was on top of his game. Hopefully he turns it around in Toronto.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I haven't followed JVR since his trade to Toronto...have they played him at center like they were considering in the offseason? Maybe the crackpot idea is what got Burke fired :sarcasm:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
ya you can have JVR BACK if you want... i hope schenn sucks for u guys

k forgive my ignorance. what's your early impressions? cause i do NOT like jvr so far..........
Why would you even post this here? People like you make us look bad on these boards.

It's been TWO games. Let him adjust to a new team, especially in a lockout year. Take it easy.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Like the one guy who knows what he's talking about said, the trade will probably prove equally useless for both teams.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
This is what I want to know. The guy spends most of his time playing like he's smaller than Briere.

He has been playing wing with Kadri as his center. He isn't playing small, he's been crashing the net a lot and mucking it up. Hasn't done much offensively though

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He has been playing wing with Kadri as his center. He isn't playing small, he's been crashing the net a lot and mucking it up. Hasn't done much offensively though

Add "float down the wing and take a weak, very stoppable wrister" and that describes most of his career in Philly. He went to the front of net for us too, but considering how good his skating is, you would expect that kind of toughness in every other area of the ice.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Jury is still out. I think it was a pretty even trade. Flyers filled a need, Leafs filled a need. I don't think either will be HOFers but I think they will both have long NHL careers, barring any significant injuries.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Love his checking style - bear-hugging no hitting lol

I have NEVER understood why we went JVR and not Turris..like the day of the draft even. Turris always seemed to have more promise. I know we all hoped he would become LeClaire like and his Jersey roots but the guy is like the Hank Basket of hockey...has all the intangibles (size, etc) but doesnt mean he actually ever utilizes them or has the skill to go along with

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Van Useless has been disappointing from the start. The 2006-2007 season was pretty much his fault. Not getting the first overall pick was definitely his fault.

Then this loser thought he knew everything so he goes to an awful college program in an awful college league and was nothing but mediocre. People who actually played in the NHL and managed NHL teams told him to turn pro but of course he knew better, apparently from his experience playing New Jersey youth hockey, that bastion of hockey talent. Of course maybe the Flyers should have let him play two more years against players whose professional careers would be in real estate. But remember, don't rush the young players!!!

Not only is he one of the ugliest Flyers of all time, he may earn the distinction of being the only forward drafted by the Flyers in the first round over the last two decades who doesn't turn into a really good player. How do you like that? The Flyers pretty much can't do wrong drafting forwards in the first round. Unless they have the second overall pick and select Van Useless.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
JVR has had two games in Toronto, chill. (Laugh). I still think long term it could benefit both sides. Schenn is definitely not in shape and we're struggling out of the gate like a lot of teams.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
JVR is much better when he is greedy with the puck.

Always liked him and hope he can revert back into the JVR we saw during the playoffs a yr or so ago.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Van Useless has been disappointing from the start. The 2006-2007 season was pretty much his fault. Not getting the first overall pick was definitely his fault.

Then this loser thought he knew everything so he goes to an awful college program in an awful college league and was nothing but mediocre. People who actually played in the NHL and managed NHL teams told him to turn pro but of course he knew better, apparently from his experience playing New Jersey youth hockey, that bastion of hockey talent. Of course maybe the Flyers should have let him play two more years against players whose professional careers would be in real estate. But remember, don't rush the young players!!!

Not only is he one of the ugliest Flyers of all time, he may earn the distinction of being the only forward drafted by the Flyers in the first round over the last two decades who doesn't turn into a really good player. How do you like that? The Flyers pretty much can't do wrong drafting forwards in the first round. Unless they have the second overall pick and select Van Useless.

Some of that I don't agree with but it is pretty astounding with how well we do in the draft with forwards especially in the first round, that when we finally get the highest pick we've ever had in franchise history we missed on it. JvR still has time to go, but at this point in their careers, I'd much rather have Couture, Voracek, Sutter, Turris, Pacioretty, S. Kostitsyn, Perron, Benn or Simmonds. And thats just forwards, there were a lot of good defensemen taken in that draft as well. We picked Kevin Marshall two picks before the Habs picked Subban. Shattenkirk, Alzner, McDonagh, Blum, and Hickey all came out of that as well. It wasn't the strongest draft in the world but it certainly was probably our worst in a long time. We missed bad on a lot of picks. Marshall, Klotz, Kalinski, B. Phillips, M. Kempe.

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
isnt JVR trying to play thru a foot injury?
players playing thru a injury cant win. see "insert Flyer player here"
play hurt and struggle and you get ripped. sit out and try and get better and your not tough and your a *****.
havent seen that before around here:sarcasm:

I'd make the Carter trade over and over again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd make the Carter trade over and over again.

Knowing we get Couturier as well as Voracek, me too. That doesn't change the fact that he caught an insane amount of grief for not being elite while playing through major injuries.

As for JVR, I got tired of him always having the potential to be great. Next year was always "his" year, until it came and went and we had to wait for the year after. I'm wondering if B. Schenn will end up the same way.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Last year really every expert throw expectations at him:

MacKenzie, Hockey News, Milbury and all the others. All are saying he is the upcoming star. He will dominate the flyers with his scoring.... :handclap:

I´am also tired of players with high ceiling and low results....

Carter..... high and wide.... but he could if he want or weren´t injured
JVR....don´t used his size....but he can when he isn´t injured
Lupul....he is injured.....but when he would not be injured....

and so on....

I only care about the result on the score sheet and the effort on the ice. I can´t stand Carter no more than before. He plays like an ballerina, he should have gone to figure skating not to the nhl.

Same with JVR.....

Maybe he will learn to use his weapons. I wish him all the best, but i´am not sad, that he is gone. Especially for his salary he isn´t worth it!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad