Thanks Chevy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Chevy is the same GM he was over the past few years. He has a very good feel for the team and has a plan. He's been patient in executing the plan, thanks largely to the support an patience of a very good owner (Chipman).

I also think that last season Chevy was able to bring in a coach that he meshes well with.

Both of them tend to be a bit traditional in supporting the "intangibles", which explains their support for guys like Thorbs and Stuart (and Harrison). But at this point, you have to wonder whether they might know a thing or two about NHL teams and locker rooms, and especially the importance of having those types of players when you are bringing in young players that will be your future leaders. I expect that Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry are learning a lot about what it takes to be a successful NHLer by the vets on the team, and that is important.

I gave Chevy a "B" last off-season, and I think that's what he deserved then and now. If his draft picks and the futures from the Kane/Bogo trade turn out to be as good as some think, then I'd bump his grade up.

I would agree with most of this post Whillleee. I gave him a C last summer and IMO he deserved it last summer and thru most of the season. With a number of changes we all were begging for a long time finally done I'm ready to bump him up to a B-.

Getting closer....:laugh:

White Out 403*

I'm not sold on chevy but, certainly, his trades and signings this year have caused me to reconsider to some extent.

But as a previous poster noted, why wait until year 4 to make badly needed changes? Are we simply to forget 3 years of mediocre hockey and management, and just say, hey, awesome? 16 teams in a 30 team league make the post season. It's a cap world. It shouldn't take 4 years to push a bubble team into the post season.. and chevy has.

I'm over the moon with playoff hockey but that doens't mean I have to hang a picture of chevy in my basement now does it?

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
If you don't like our "AHL GM" and his decisions nothing will make you see otherwise.

If we win a round it will be "luck"
If we win the cup it will be a "fluke"

No point in arguing with people who won't change

Agree. Chevy hasn't been perfect with the Pavs situation laid at his feet (however that isn't looking as bad as it once was), but he has done what they promised to do from the start. The Jets now have a playoff caliber team with a bright future.

Far from a junior B level GM as some were characterizing him.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I'm not sold on chevy but, certainly, his trades and signings this year have caused me to reconsider to some extent.

But as a previous poster noted, why wait until year 4 to make badly needed changes? Are we simply to forget 3 years of mediocre hockey and management, and just say, hey, awesome? 16 teams in a 30 team league make the post season. It's a cap world. It shouldn't take 4 years to push a bubble team into the post season.. and chevy has.

I'm over the moon with playoff hockey but that doens't mean I have to hang a picture of chevy in my basement now does it?
That's one perspective. I look at it as not mortgaging our future for a quick exit from the playoffs. Our prospect pool was not deep enough and trading away picks and what little prospects we had to just sneak into the playoffs would have been a mistake, IMO.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Exactly, TBH it's a bit embarressing how some fans of the Jets act now that we're in the playoffs.....on the second last game of the year. But I'm happy were in, happy that fans are happy, but we really haven't accomplished much yet. Making the playoffs doesn't singal you as a good team, lots of teams make them not exactly a huge feat. It's what you do in the playoffs that matter and determine if your a good team or not.

I was waiting for when somebody officially moved the goal posts.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
After the Kane/ Myers deal, and the pickups of Perrealt, Stempniak and Tlusty, I will upgrade my rank of Chevy to a B

I think he's done a very good job, he's stepped up this year, and made moves that we needed. If it weren't for his post ASG moves we wouldn't be in the playoffs.

However, the goaltending will always hold him back from getting a better grade. I firmly believe if he had never signed Pav to that big contract, or subsequently failed to correct his mistake, we would have been going to the playoffs for the 2nd or 3rd time in a row this year. That cannot be overlooked.

But, that is all water under the bridge, and overall I am very happy with his work.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I've always been a bit more positive towards CHEVY than you (IMO) but this post pretty much sums up my opinion. More than 50% of the teams in the NHL make the playoffs, so suddenly after the second last game of the season we sqeak into the playoffs......were not in the bottom 47% of the NHL bottom feaders and this makes CHEVY a genius or Excutive of the Year? I think not, finally did the moves many of us had been calling for a long time. The whole thought of what the hell took you so long. But whatever were finally in the playoffs, let's see what we can do.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
After the Kane/ Myers deal, and the pickups of Perrealt, Stempniak and Tlusty, I will upgrade my rank of Chevy to a B

I think he's done a very good job, he's stepped up this year, and made moves that we needed. If it weren't for his post ASG moves we wouldn't be in the playoffs.

However, the goaltending will always hold him back from getting a better grade. I firmly believe if he had never signed Pav to that big contract, or subsequently failed to correct his mistake, we would have been going to the playoffs for the 2nd or 3rd time in a row this year. That cannot be overlooked.

But, that is all water under the bridge, and overall I am very happy with his work.

Agreed.

jetkarma*

That's one perspective. I look at it as not mortgaging our future for a quick exit from the playoffs. Our prospect pool was not deep enough and trading away picks and what little prospects we had to just sneak into the playoffs would have been a mistake, IMO.

Agreed and that was noted at the time. Short term pain for long term gain , delayed gratification. Nothing is perfect but the prudent way to build this franchise was to do it as has been done , imo .

Trying to get to this point years ago wouldn't have unfolded this way.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I've always been a bit more positive towards CHEVY than you (IMO) but this post pretty much sums up my opinion. More than 50% of the teams in the NHL make the playoffs, so suddenly after the second last game of the season we sqeak into the playoffs......were not in the bottom 47% of the NHL bottom feaders and this makes CHEVY a genius or Excutive of the Year? I think not, finally did the moves many of us had been calling for a long time. The whole thought of what the hell took you so long. But whatever were finally in the playoffs, let's see what we can do.

THe fact that more than half the teams make the playoffs is a tad misleading. Many of those teams make the playoffs year after year and moving them OUT of the playoffs is not an easy thing to do.

also, not many of us are calling Chevy a genius or executive of the year. Most of us are just saying he's done pretty well. I'd give him a B myself. There's a middle ground between calling him an AHL GM and calling him a genius...

...and I don't know why you keep mentioning that we didn't clinch till the second last game. Who cares? We've been in a playoff spot almost the entire season...

As far as why he didn't make any of these moves before, I would suggest it was because this season was different. This season we were actually IN a PO spot before the trade deadline...not 3 or 5 points out. We weren't "close," we were in. I'd say he was pretty smart not to have bought in under those circumstances. If we'd been a few points out this year and he made moves we'd likely still not have made it. I mean the moves he made this year didn't move us UP in the standings right? They basically just allowed us to stay where we were...

Last edited:

boanst

May 25, 2013
[mod] I am not sure if you are serious or just highly misinformed about this game, the NHL and how it all works.

The season is not a timing thing. Clinching a playoff seed with 99 points is what really matters here, our season record is how we are measured.

When we look back on this season, and this may pain you to hear, we will talk about the points this team was able to gather, along with making the playoffs.

What will not be discussed on any level, by anyone that truly knows what they are talking about, is when the Jets secured the playoff spot.

Guaranteed you will not hear one intelligent, well versed human being that gets paid to report or talk about this game state the following:

(Fictional Rona Round Table)

First Person: "Well the Jets finished the season with 97/99 points, making the playoffs in the absolute toughest division in the league, exceeding most if not all predictions that they would finish bottom 3 in the Western conference.
BUT WAIT! There is a big caveat here, they did not secure a playoff spot until the second last game of the season!!!! 80 full games it took this team, and subsequently their GM Chevy, to get the job done"

Silence hits the round table, a collective nodding of the entire panels head.

Second Person: "True, Chevy really laid an egg there, making moves so late in the season, depriving his players the opportunity of securing that playoff spot with 4, hell maybe even 5 games left in the season"

Third Person: "I questioned his timing as well. I like the way this team plays, but not having that playoff spot wrapped up sooner, well, Chevy really dropped the ball here. HIs team could have avoided the stress of competing down to the wire for that spot. That stress can cause ulcers, and ulcers can reduce your health. Chevy has reduced the health of this team by creating stress that could have easily been avoided!"

Forth Person: "Chevy is a monster. He is going to orphan these player's children, widow their wives. Ulcers kill."

First Person:
"There you have it, Chevy the widow, orphan and ulcer making GM of the Winnipeg Jets are in the post season, phhhh, after 81 games."

Second Person: " Not a big feat, when you consider the Leafs had a playoff spot wrapped up in like 40 games, back in 2012."

The entire table nods in approval.

Too bad this wasnt real. Not because I believe it to be true but because it would amuse me like crazy.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Thanks Chevy. Thanks for resisting the quick fix. Thanks for restocking the cupboards to overflowing. Thanks for tweaking the team during a crisis. (Will anyone want to trade with you again though?) Thanks for improving our third and fourth lines before the deadline. Oh, and thanks for bringing in an awesome coach. Thanks for helping to bring playoffs to this city again.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Noel was no placeholder coach. Chipman thought he could do the job. That should be obvious -- he hired the guy. There's no way he was going to hire some stiff he thought was going to fail.

Anyone who watched the first three years of the Jets saw lots of confusion. And lots of failure. But mainly confusion, which begets failure.

Even Greg Selinger could have increased the franchise value. It was going up no matter what Chipman did. I mean, he had Noel coaching and Pavelec playing 60 games and it still went up.

Chevy could have improved the goaltending quite painlessly and that alone might have put the Jets in the playoffs before this year. And he wouldn't have had to strip the cupboard anywhere near bare to improve the fourth-line to something approaching NHL calibre.

Yet, the team outperformed what the experts expected out of them each year except for Noel's portion of season 3. This team was expected to be next to last place in the entire East both of the first 2 years, but did much better than expected. Not sure how much it actually had to do with Noel, but it was on his watch.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
THe fact that more than half the teams make the playoffs is a tad misleading. Many of those teams make the playoffs year after year and moving them OUT of the playoffs is not an easy thing to do.

also, not many of us are calling Chevy a genius or executive of the year. Most of us are just saying he's done pretty well. I'd give him a B myself. There's a middle ground between calling him an AHL GM and calling him a genius...

...and I don't know why you keep mentioning that we didn't clinch till the second last game. Who cares? We've been in a playoff spot almost the entire season...

We're very close in his rating, you rate CHEVY a B and I rate him a B-......very close.

I mention clinching second last game, without winning the game.....b/c how some are acting like it was a slam dunk or CHEVY as the Excutive of the year. We're finally not one of the bottom 50% in the NHL and some want to crown him a genius? I don't get that point is all. Took us 4 years to finally get into the top 50%......don't see how or why some are ready to give him the keys to the city.

IMO when grading someone you expect a basic level of competence, this gets you a grade of a C from me. Any significant failures (without equally very good positives) over time gets you less than a C grade IMO. If you regularly perform at a very high level, pull the wool over the eyes of other GM's, etc you get a grade of higher than a C grade.

I'm ready to bump CHEVY up to a B-. He's done some major mistakes, normal moves that I would expect any GM to do, a bit too inactive, made the best of a bad situation (Kane), like the Bogo move, good trade at the TD.

Love we made it into the playoffs, I don't have huge expectations in the playoffs but hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'm really interest what we do this summer to maintain and build on what we done this year......and not fall back a step next year. I would hate to expect or depend on Pavs (Hutch) posting career numbers next year as the basis of us making the playoffs.....if we are We might not make it next year.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
When the Jets first came back in 2011, it was said repeatedly by Mark Chipman and the entire organization that the Jets were a project, they had a vision for how to build a team, and that it would take time. Maybe "five year plan" was not literally said, but it was more than extremely clear that it wasn't a quick procedure. They never lied or misled about this, not even once.

What has been made very, very clear since then is that they meant it. We can quibble about individual decisions with respect to coaching, goaltending, or whatever, but the vision has remained. This would be a team that would build by way of draft picks, scouting, and a strong farm system, so that the well would not run dry, and that once they became good, they would remain good for a long, long time.

As far as I can see, they have succeeded, almost entirely, so far. Sure, nobody's been perfect - there were mistakes such as Setoguchi, maybe Pavelec should have been bought out, maybe Noel should have been replaced a year earlier...who knows? Even Sammy Pollock made mistakes, even Scotty Bowman wasn't perfect.

People have complained that until this year, Cheveldayoff was too passive and didn't make trades, etc. What these people have conveniently ignored is that prior to this year, almost any trade the Jets could have made would have been a trade where the Jets were acting from a position of weakness, and the rest of the league knew it.

What could the Jets have reasonably done, say, two years ago? Byfuglien for a third-line centre that would have maybe given us an edge in 2012-2013, maybe even got us into the playoffs, but then become utterly insignificant? Hockey history is littered with trades like that, all of them ill-advised. Nope. Chevy waited, and the reason he didn't make any big trades before this year is that, before this year, he was never able to act from a position of strength. Good, smart management involves waiting at least as much as acting, in much the same way is the best musicians are the best musicians at least partly because not only do they know what notes to play, but also when not to play.

Think of the best, most consistent teams of the past 20 years - the Detroit Red Wings immediately come to mind, and maybe Chicago, over the past 10 years. Both of them have been built in a similar way - don't panic, have a vision, stick to it, realize that some years it doesn't work out, but that doesn't mean you're on the wrong track.

That's the difference between the Jets and the Oilers - the Oilers blow everything up every two years (or less) and start over, with the result that they've been going nowhere for a decade, and are probably doomed to keep going that way for the foreseeable future.

I'm unbelievably excited about making the playoffs this year, but even if everything had collapsed in the last week, I'd still be excited, but for next year, because this is a team that's building on its strengths, and even if they win the Stanley Cup this year (stranger things have happened), there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that they'll be even better next year. This doesn't mean that they'll win the Cup again next year if they win it this year - keep in mind that quite often, the best teams don't win every single year - only a fool, in my opinion, really believes that the Kings were better than the Blackhawks last year...no...they were better than the Blackhawks for a particular two-week period last year, but that was enough.

This is a journey. The journey was more fun this season than I could have possibly imagined, more fun that it's been since the WHA days of Hull/Hedberg/Nilsson. I'm super excited for the playoffs, and for next year. And the year after. And on and on.

The best thing about management, whether you're running a sports team, an assembly line, or anything else, is when you have a plan, you put that plan together, and you watch it come together over time, with the bumps on the road to be expected. To me, so far, this is exactly what has happened in Winnipeg, and it's been joyous to watch.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
When the Jets first came back in 2011, it was said repeatedly by Mark Chipman and the entire organization that the Jets were a project, they had a vision for how to build a team, and that it would take time. Maybe "five year plan" was not literally said, but it was more than extremely clear that it wasn't a quick procedure. They never lied or misled about this, not even once.

What has been made very, very clear since then is that they meant it. We can quibble about individual decisions with respect to coaching, goaltending, or whatever, but the vision has remained. This would be a team that would build by way of draft picks, scouting, and a strong farm system, so that the well would not run dry, and that once they became good, they would remain good for a long, long time.

As far as I can see, they have succeeded, almost entirely, so far. Sure, nobody's been perfect - there were mistakes such as Setoguchi, maybe Pavelec should have been bought out, maybe Noel should have been replaced a year earlier...who knows? Even Sammy Pollock made mistakes, even Scotty Bowman wasn't perfect.

People have complained that until this year, Cheveldayoff was too passive and didn't make trades, etc. What these people have conveniently ignored is that prior to this year, almost any trade the Jets could have made would have been a trade where the Jets were acting from a position of weakness, and the rest of the league knew it.

What could the Jets have reasonably done, say, two years ago? Byfuglien for a third-line centre that would have maybe given us an edge in 2012-2013, maybe even got us into the playoffs, but then become utterly insignificant? Hockey history is littered with trades like that, all of them ill-advised. Nope. Chevy waited, and the reason he didn't make any big trades before this year is that, before this year, he was never able to act from a position of strength. Good, smart management involves waiting at least as much as acting, in much the same way is the best musicians are the best musicians at least partly because not only do they know what notes to play, but also when not to play.

Think of the best, most consistent teams of the past 20 years - the Detroit Red Wings immediately come to mind, and maybe Chicago, over the past 10 years. Both of them have been built in a similar way - don't panic, have a vision, stick to it, realize that some years it doesn't work out, but that doesn't mean you're on the wrong track.

That's the difference between the Jets and the Oilers - the Oilers blow everything up every two years (or less) and start over, with the result that they've been going nowhere for a decade, and are probably doomed to keep going that way for the foreseeable future.

I'm unbelievably excited about making the playoffs this year, but even if everything had collapsed in the last week, I'd still be excited, but for next year, because this is a team that's building on its strengths, and even if they win the Stanley Cup this year (stranger things have happened), there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that they'll be even better next year. This doesn't mean that they'll win the Cup again next year if they win it this year - keep in mind that quite often, the best teams don't win every single year - only a fool, in my opinion, really believes that the Kings were better than the Blackhawks last year...no...they were better than the Blackhawks for a particular two-week period last year, but that was enough.

This is a journey. The journey was more fun this season than I could have possibly imagined, more fun that it's been since the WHA days of Hull/Hedberg/Nilsson. I'm super excited for the playoffs, and for next year. And the year after. And on and on.

The best thing about management, whether you're running a sports team, an assembly line, or anything else, is when you have a plan, you put that plan together, and you watch it come together over time, with the bumps on the road to be expected. To me, so far, this is exactly what has happened in Winnipeg, and it's been joyous to watch.

Well Said!

Nice article in the Free Press about Chevy, good read:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/The-architect-299354311.html?cx_navSource=d-popular-views

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
That 2011 roster was not even close to what they are today... Man oh man, some of you guys should go look back at it and then wonder what could chevy have done any differently? most that roster is either retired or playing in europe..

LADD,LITTLE,WHEELER,STU,SLATER,THORBS,PAV,Toby and Buff are the only guys from 2011 still here.. the rest, outside of Oduya,Fehr and Hainsey aren't in the NHL anymore.

So when you break it down

One line plus 2/3rds of the 4th line... plus 3 d men and a goalie are left from 2011..

There's really very little he could have done any differently really when you go back and look... our cupboards were bare.. a one line team wasn't gonna make the playoffs, Kane never lived up to his expectations here, bogo didn't either, heck, burmi didn't either really..

There was only so much you could do with the roster and team we inherited.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
That 2011 roster was not even close to what they are today... Man oh man, some of you guys should go look back at it and then wonder what could chevy have done any differently? most that roster is either retired or playing in europe..

LADD,LITTLE,WHEELER,STU,SLATER,THORBS,PAV,Toby and Buff are the only guys from 2011 still here.. the rest, outside of Oduya,Fehr and Hainsey aren't in the NHL anymore.

So when you break it down

One line plus 2/3rds of the 4th line... plus 3 d men and a goalie are left from 2011..

There's really very little he could have done any differently really when you go back and look... our cupboards were bare.. a one line team wasn't gonna make the playoffs, Kane never lived up to his expectations here, bogo didn't either, heck, burmi didn't either really..

There was only so much you could do with the roster and team we inherited.

So true. To expect that type of turnaround in less than 5 seasons, is very unreasonable

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Beginning of the season, I gave him a C. Liked where the drafting and development of prospects was, but thought Chevy's resume was incomplete given the trajectory of 'draft and develop'.

Then, we saw the continuing development of Scheif and Trouba, the emergence of Lowry's beast-mode and progression towards and elite shut down C, the development of Hutch, and finally, the work at the TD that made this a 4 line team, and ultimately resulted in a playoff spot.

Combine the strengthening of the roster with one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, and two 1sts in 2015, and I now give him a solid B. Not much was sacrificed in terms of future, while progressing in the here and now. I'm happy.

For me, an A requires a SC. Lets hope my final grade changes at the end of this PO run. ;)

I'm a pretty tough grader, but I think he gets an A if we win a series. If we make the Conference Finals and he gets an A+. If we make the Stanley Cup Finals, we invent a new letter ahead of 'A'. And if we win the Cup then I think the simulation ends and the Matrix is defeated... :laugh:

Anyway, thanks and good job Chevy. I'm not totally sure how thankful we'd all be if the part of your plan where - against all odds - Ondrej Pavelec puts up a .950 SV% in March and April didn't pan out, but hey, let's not look the gift horse in the mouth here... :nod:

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
To build an winning organization, for the long run, you have to have a vision, a plan, and a consistency of approach.

From day one, Chevy was out in front with the template - building through the draft, with the emphasis on skill and character. He has stuck doggedly to this approach and avoided the ole panic moves, or for that matter rushing prospects, when it was perceived in some quarters (especially this board) that progress was not fast enough......

When the Kane thing blew.....it was dealt with inside of a week, with good assets coming back, improving our depth for a successful playoff run, and freeing up cap space for future key resignings....

Everyone talks about the goal tending thing, sure....but we do have great prospects in the pipeline and now have some asset depth to make other moves in this area....

The arrow on this organization is pointing up and onwards...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
When Chevy came out to give the awards, I loved it that there was a nice pause before announcing the next person. The Chevy chant was great, and you could tell he was blushing a bit.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
When Chevy came out to give the awards, I loved it that there was a nice pause before announcing the next person. The Chevy chant was great, and you could tell he was blushing a bit.

That was awesome! It was great to see everyone showing him their appreciation.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm a pretty tough grader, but I think he gets an A if we win a series. If we make the Conference Finals and he gets an A+. If we make the Stanley Cup Finals, we invent a new letter ahead of 'A'. And if we win the Cup then I think the simulation ends and the Matrix is defeated... :laugh:

Anyway, thanks and good job Chevy. I'm not totally sure how thankful we'd all be if the part of your plan where - against all odds - Ondrej Pavelec puts up a .950 SV% in March and April didn't pan out, but hey, let's not look the gift horse in the mouth here... :nod:

Wow - I'm a tougher grader that you are, Gm0ney? If my glass is half full, you must have surreptitiously filled yours to the brim. ;)

I think people are too stuck on my grades: I like to leave myself some room so that I don't have to try to enter the Matrix when I run out of grades. ;) My B probably equals an A for others. Just semantics.

I think this team is going to make some noise - they're not going to roll over for the Ducks, that's for sure. A lot of that has to do with Chevy's TD moves, and the hiring of Maurice (and the Perreault signing, which I loved from day one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad