Thanks Chevy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
In a very short 4 seasons, Chevy and company have done an amazing job of stocking our prospect pool to a level some now consider higher than any other organization.

When the Kane fiasco hit, it was at a crucial time in the season when the team didn't need a bad distraction from their playoff hunt.

Cue Chevy pulling off a masterful trade that not only addressed a dressing room issue, it made us a better team instantly, with an added bonus of adding some quality prospects to our pool, and acquiring a key asset in a 1st round pick this off-season.

Then we hit the trade deadline, and Chevy rewards the hard work this team had done to that point, by adding quality depth in Tlusty and Stempniak.

We do not get here if Chevy does not make the moves he made.

Chevy has taken allot of heat over the past 4 seasons, and he has also had some strong supporters as well, me being one.

Today, love him or hate him, he deserves some love for all his hard work the past 4 years.

Thanks Chevy. Thanks True North and Thanks Winnipeg Jets!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hear hear. I stuck by his draft and develop plan throughout and had to explain to a few people why we needed to be patient the first few seasons. There were a few stumbles along the way like Devin Setoguchi, but overall he has done well and especially came through at the trade deadline this year.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

It was a PLAN . A plan that worked despite so so many posts telling some of us it wasn't and wouldn't .

Of course it has , and the best thing is the plan is long term and we , as has been mentioned , haven't sacrificed our future for the present . now looks good , very good , the future looks even better . Isn't that exactly what you want your GM to put in place?

Of course it is .

Thank you Chevy , btw heard you on the radio , I have a a great white suit I bought in Miami , perfect shape , wore twice. We're similar in size , you can have it if you wear it , you've earned it ! And you would look good in it , really.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
He still has not corrected his big mistake - not buying out Pavs (yes the same guy that posted 3 shutouts to get us into the dance) :sarcasm:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Playoffs Achieved
0esVOPO.png

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
And the best is yet to come. The organization is built for the long run.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
ah, that "5-year process" that nobody in the organization, Chevy himself, EVER alluded to... not once. Long live the famous "5-year process". :laugh:

jetkarma*

Crickets .... Crickets .... Crickets ....

So wrong , about so many things .

Pretty quiet for a long while now .

Kind of nice.

Lot's of cold revenge being served. Not unexpected though .

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Crickets .... Crickets .... Crickets ....

So wrong , about so many things .

Pretty quiet for a long while now .

Kind of nice.

Lot's of cold revenge being served. Not unexpected though .

Agreed. Wonder if this thread will get as long as the "evaluate Chevy" thread? :laugh:
We already know the answer to that.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Have been a big Chevy supporter since the hiring was announced, and it seems that he has done some most excellent work.

Thanks, Chevy. Here's to SCP 2015!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Along that way I have had some questions and doubts seep in, only natural, I think. I never felt the connection or comfort that Claude Noel was a fit here and I do think we stumbled pretty hard those first few seasons as a result, but it happened, we endured it and most of all, the entire organization from management to the players learned from it and to this day I believe are better off for it. Collectively they learned to lose as a group and have since learned how to pick themselves back up, dust off and learn to become winners. Chevy bringing in his own guy in an experienced Paul Maurice was very key (I do believe Noel was more of a Chipman and co./Manitoba Moose pick to start things off, and hey, that's okay but it just didn't work out in the end).

I've always felt Chevy could have done a more competent job filling out the depth portions of the roster which always seemed to hurt us. But I have always found comfort and trust in what Kevin Cheveldayoff and co. are doing here, whether they were unproven on the job or not. I'm in the group that do see this as a process and there is a long-term plan here to sustain being a competitive organization on and off the ice. One thing is concrete, we were never going to waver from drafting and developing as the one constant root and foundation of our organization. Perhaps we didn't pick a hard line that some wanted, but you know what? it hasn't hurt us in my opinion. Whether we were going to ride this core group led by Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Byfuglien, etc.. was to be determined. It took some time to sort and figure out. We tied up quality NHL assets along the way, said goodbye to some (Kane, Bogosian) and hello to others. Chevy has missed on some acquisitions be it Jokinen (but he was a stop-gap until Scheifele took over it all is not lost in that 2-year UFA acquisition), Setoguchi, Ponikarovsky, etc. But I think he's hit some home runs on others in Frolik, Perreault, Stafford, Myers, etc. Some may not like the time it took but we were going to come to the realization whether or not we could ride with this group or we couldn't. As stated, Noel failed that "see what we have period" and it was prolonged and took a lot of patience to get through. It took some trial and error, but Maurice was key to that end result of 'finding out'. Had we not have been able to rely on this group, I have little to no doubt Chevy (with Maurice's guidance since his arrival) would have made quality trades to alter the direction.

All things considered, it's been 4 years and I am very happy with the NHL roster and how it's constructed/been kept together for the most part in terms of key players, our drafted and homegrown young talent in Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, followed by rookies Chiarot and Hutchinson, all who are playing very key roles in our depth chart and are key factors to our success this year. I love our group of prospects. Some will make it, some will flounder and not make it; but that's just the way it goes. Morrissey, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Petan, Copp, Armia, Kosmachuk, Comrie, Lipon, Lemieux, Glover, Kostalek, etc. Nice, quality group. It doesn't end there, we've got two 1st rounders to add to the cupboard this June, among other picks and selections, and I am confident we'll add some quality prospects when we make those selections. The ability to replenish the roster, have competition from within, and ammunition for trades looks to be strong headed forward here given the abundance of assets we currently have at our display. We can hold on to some, many, or all headed forward depending on how things go. That is a great thing.

I like what we have done to get to where we are in the 4 years since the relocation. I am very happy with the present. I look very much forward to our future. I like the foundation, culture and stability in which TNSE has implemented and established from the top down from David Thomson, Mark Chipman, Craig Heisinger to Kevin Cheveldayoff to the scouting department to Paul Maurice, etc. And to the players who have put in the work and formed the identity we have now and will hopefully have for years and years to come; doing things one way - The Winnipeg Jets way.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not one boast, but am happy to see Chevy and our management staff getting some much deserved props. I always believed that the team was never as bad as some thought and that the strength of the rest of the division/league has been overestimated by many of the same.

I really enjoy watching this team and believe we have an even brighter future.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Chevy deserves a lot of credit for sticking to his guns and not trying to take too many shortcuts during this time.

I could sit here and rattle the things I would consider to be mishaps, but the good has outweighed the bad. Especially when you consider the last 15 months. He got a real coach, he popped his trade cherry in a huge way, and got the team some help when their chances at the playoffs became real. My patience wore thin last summer for awhile, but that feels like ages ago now.

Chevy gets a well deserved pat on the back. I anticipate more to come here, as well as some self back-patting unfortunately. Just remember that a pat on your own back is 18 inches away from a kick in the ass.:naughty:

But its not over yet, plenty more to do still. But for now, my money is on Chevy becoming Executive of the Year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great idea for a thread. Chevy deserves a lot more credit then he gets around here. He has made a couple missteps but that is true for every GM. Overall, he has done a very good job at strengthening the current roster while at the same time giving us the prospect depth that is the envy of the league. This will be a good team for years to come. And I don't doubt for a minute that Chevy will be given the green light to spend as needed to the cap to keep and improve this team. Ownership will love the spotlight and jump in revenue that comes with being a playoff team in a hockey crazed town.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Great idea for a thread. Chevy deserves a lot more credit then he gets around here. He has made a couple missteps but that is true for every GM. Overall, he has done a very good job at strengthening the current roster while at the same time giving us the prospect depth that is the envy of the league. This will be a good team for years to come. And I don't doubt for a minute that Chevy will be given the green light to spend as needed to the cap to keep and improve this team. Ownership will love the spotlight and jump in revenue that comes with being a playoff team in a hockey crazed town.

Yep. And to think for just a moment, from top to bottom, NHL roster, to prospects, compare the state of the franchise right now, April 2015, to that of when the relocation took place May 2011. Big, big, big difference... :nod:

I feel pretty good about what has been built and put into place in just 4 years time. It takes time, effort, and patience and we've seen our management group not waver from the model they've put into place in order to get this team and organization sustaining consistent long-term success. From day one we have been told we don't want to be a one-and-done team, in one year and out the next. Now, it should be remembered that just because we've made the playoffs this year doesn't mean anything for next year, we could easily miss given the competitiveness of the NHL these days. But, we stand a fine chance and that is a great thing.

We can only hope this is the first step of many for this organization headed forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad