Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You watch too much Sportsnet.

And Baseball America. And Fangraphs. And MLB Pipeline. And basically every reputable baseball prospect outlet.

But, y'know, I'm sure they're all in Rogers' pocket and Keith Law and his 17th ranking is the lone sane man out there to stand up to corporate greed and social engineering.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Teoscar needs to cut down his Ks and get better defensively if he is to be a legit good player. He is at -0.1 WAR right now. And barely above 100 OPS+. Not sure what I think of him now. He could be just an average hitter with below average defensive ability.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
They were dropped on agreement to a Peace Bond that limits his liberty. It's a negotiated deal, not a case of charges being dropped for lack of merit.

This isn't the same thing as a plea bargin, but it has a family resemblance.
No there absolutely were not.

Its not a negotiated deal, the charges were dropped because there was no chance of conviction to proceed.

Read the news about it, the crown specifically says that because his girlfriend won't come to testify, they dropped the charges because they can't convict.

Nothing in that says anything about a negotiation.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hardly an indicator of innocence

There was literally a video of Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend out and dragging her unconsciously down a hall

She later gave a press conference claiming remorse for her part in the incident and later venting anger at her husbands dexreased earning power.

Not wanting to testify doesn’t mean anything st all, she could just be protecting her golden goose
I’m sure protecting her golden goose is exactly what she’s doing. What’s done is done.

You just knew this is how it was going to end. What a cluster f*** and now fans never get to learn what happened.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
No there absolutely were not.

Its not a negotiated deal, the charges were dropped because there was no chance of conviction to proceed.

Read the news about it, the crown specifically says that because his girlfriend won't come to testify, they dropped the charges because they can't convict.

Nothing in that says anything about a negotiation.

When you agree to a peace bond ahead of time, you've negotiated an agreement with the Crown to do so. That's how these things are done. If there was no prospect of conviction at all, then Osuna's defense wouldn't have agreed to the peace bond, they'd have let the case fall apart on its own without agreeing to the limitations that a peace bond imposes.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What free agents do you guys think would be good to target this off-season?

Obviously I'd love Machado, but I doubt Rogers would pony up or that he'd want to come here. He's the guy worth paying though if we're ever gonna do it. He's still really young, and will age well with our young core, plus he's an elite level player at a premium position.

More realistically though:

Corbin
Happ
Herrera
Chissenhall
Harvey
Pomeranz
Markakis

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Obviously I'd love Machado, but I doubt Rogers would pony up or that he'd want to come here. He's the guy worth paying though if we're ever gonna do it. He's still really young, and will age well with our young core, plus he's an elite level player at a premium position.

Corbin
Happ
Herrera
Chissenhall
Harvey
Pomeranz
Markakis

Machado's a 3B. I don't think a year of being terrible at SS makes him a SS. That's not to say it wouldn't be awesome if they signed him - it would, and he would fit in with the core because he's still so young - but no one should look at him as filling a spot at a premium defensive position.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario

Corbin
Happ
Herrera
Chissenhall
Harvey
Pomeranz
Markakis

Realistically, I don't think the Jays and Machado would have enough mutual interest to get a deal done. Same thing with Bryce Harper so I hope the discussion around them over the offseason being a fit with the Jays doesn't come up too often.

In an ideal scenario, Corbin would be a great get and I've previously discussed why. Happ is a possibility but depending on how the Yankees do in the postseason, he may be a guy that chases a Championship ring. Herrera would be a nice get, might be a tough sell bringing him in with no certainty on a closing gig though. Chisenhall is a guy I have liked for a number of years and he obviously would have connections with current management. Not sure where the Jays could find playing time for him with 3rd seemingly handled by Drury and Vladdy Jr. and the OF having some depth too with Teosacar and McKinney likely battling things out for the 3rd OF spot. Pitching is where the team has needs, especially on the starting side, and I think they will likely target 1 or 2 starters plus whoever gets added as an invite to spring training. Trevor Cahill, Tyson Ross, and maybe Hyun-Jin Ryu would be my preferred realistic targets although all of them carry injury risk. Josh Tomlin will be available too and while I don't particularly want him, I recognize the connections and how he could eat some innings. More RP value deals in the same vein as Seung-Hwan Oh should also be a priority.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Corbin
Happ
Herrera
Chissenhall
Harvey
Pomeranz
Markakis

We know they’ll need to find a bat behind Vlad, starting pitching and a corner outfielder that can catch throw and hit.
Having said that, I’d audition internally before looking at FA.

They’ll likely sign a relatively inexpensive starter.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Corbin
Happ
Herrera
Chissenhall
Harvey
Pomeranz
Markakis

Brett Gardner as a better version of the role Granderson\Pearce played this year would be ideal.

Love Corbin, but he'll be a Yankee. Buy low on Pomeranz\Eovaldi\Gio. Also like Wilson, Warren, Diekman, and Kelly as relievers.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Tonight is Gibby s last home game as Jays’ manager. Well, at least for a few years.

Big mistake to let him go. He has done a remarkable job with this team and what hes had to endure this season. I still think he would have been the perfect manager for a young team next season. Will be interesting to see who they bring in. My hope is someone that is young and brings a new approach with baseball playing background.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Machado's a 3B. I don't think a year of being terrible at SS makes him a SS. That's not to say it wouldn't be awesome if they signed him - it would, and he would fit in with the core because he's still so young - but no one should look at him as filling a spot at a premium defensive position.

Hes a shortstop, hes always been a shortstop, he was playing 3b as he had no choice, hes a very good 3b man but hes an even better ss imo.

Gibbons going is for the best, good guy, trkes hard, loves the game. Wish him well

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Interesting question for you all: Do we see the Jays as a "window franchise" going forward or an annual contender going forward? Historically, I feel like the franchise has been a "window franchise" with periods of success followed by periods of drop off.

Is it even possible to be an annual contender while in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees considering the differences in spending power?

Here are the Blue Jays payroll $ amount differences over the last 5 years compared to Boston and New York:

2018: $77 Million less than the Red Sox, $28 Million less than the Yankees
2017: $23 Million less than the Red Sox, $22 Million less than the Yankees
2016: $55 Million less than the Red Sox, $68 Million less than the Yankees
2015: $45 Million less than the Red Sox, $84 Million less than the Yankees
2014: $29 Million less than the Red Sox, $73 Million less than the Yankees

I get that there is a lot more to success than payroll, and that the Blue Jays farm system producing waves of quality talent consistently would be needed while also maintaining efficiency to the internal budget to sustain annual contention. Can that be achieved or is it a better plan to continue being a "window franchise?"

Reactions: hoc123

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Hes a shortstop, hes always been a shortstop, he was playing 3b as he had no choice, hes a very good 3b man but hes an even better ss imo.

The numbers disagree with your assessment and suggest that any team signing Machado to be their SS this off-season is getting bad defensive SS.

Machado produced a -12 Defensive Runs Saved mark over 1222.1 innings played at SS this year. His Range Runs above average mark was an awful -11.6 and his UZR/150 mark of -8.6 was terrible. He ended up ranked 49th in defensive value at SS this year among SS's that played at least 130+ innings at the position. He salvaged his year end defensive numbers by being strong at 3rd for the Dodgers and that should be where he plays next year if the team signing him wants to maximize his defensive value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad