Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It's too bad really. The guy has some special talent.

Obviously my frustration with Sanchez was shining through in my previous quote.

It's too bad his career took this turn.

The lack of reliability from Sanchez really opens up a hole in the roster. I don't think Jays management can safely rely on penciling him into a rotation spot. Going into the spring that leaves just Stroman and Borucki as locks for next year's staff.

Another wasted season from Sanchez leaves them looking at the need to get two reliable starters this winter. Gavilio can probably handle the 5th spot, with SRF and the other youngsters starting at Triple A.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Funny...we never did hear from the victim, did we? And yet, we've been painted a vivid picture of what occurred that night. Huh...interesting.

Hardly an indicator of innocence

There was literally a video of Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend out and dragging her unconsciously down a hall

She later gave a press conference claiming remorse for her part in the incident and later venting anger at her husbands dexreased earning power.

Not wanting to testify doesn’t mean anything st all, she could just be protecting her golden goose

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The resolution of the Osuna situation is a stark reminder of just how much went WRONG with this team this year.

It's almost astounding.

I was just thinking: "What went right this season?"

I came up with three examples:

Diaz proved to be a much better back up infielder that Goins ever could be.

And the bullpen was pretty good until Osuna was charged and management later traded off some pieces once the season was lost.

Happ was good until he was traded.

Elsewhere the team was a horror show for large parts of the season. The rotation was a injury riddled disaster, the infield was wiped out and the outfield ended up being three low on base guys, two of whom have intriguing power.

Until the young guys came up and started doing some things, there wasn't a lot to cheer for this season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The resolution of the Osuna situation is a stark reminder of just how much went WRONG with this team this year.

It's almost astounding.

I was just thinking: "What went right this season?"

I came up with three examples:

Diaz proved to be a much better back up infielder that Goins ever could be.

And the bullpen was pretty good until Osuna was charged and management later traded off some pieces once the season was lost.

Happ was good until he was traded.

Elsewhere the team was a horror show for large parts of the season. The rotation was a injury riddled disaster, the infield was wiped out and the outfield ended up being three low on base guys, two of whom have intriguing power.

Until the young guys came up and started doing some things, there wasn't a lot to cheer for this season.

It was a disaster of a season for sure.
The off-season will be interesting

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So now we can trade for him back. Bichette + Jansen :sarcasm:

Not sure if this gives him anymore value or not. Probably, this result makes me wish we hung onto him, even if he didn't play, he likely has more value this offseason with this out of the way. Oh well, ownership didn't want him around anymore so there's no much you can do.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A reminder that Osuna didn't even appeal his suspension. Freely handed over half a years salary. The woman moved back to Mexico and didn't want to come back to Canada to testify.

It's all over now, I have my personal opinion on the matter, but it doesn't matter. Houston is a fitting organization

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
To be fair, if the alleged victim is uncooperative there really is no case, whether an assault occurred or not.

'twas told there were photos documented by police showing the victim on the night of with bruises and cuts.....that evidence is enough to proceed with trial.

Given that those didn't exist, and that was all a fabrication, the lack of a witness most certainly would cause the case to completely fall apart like a Chinese newspaper.

Yeah, this result doesn't necessarily mean Osuna didn't assault her.

You're correct. Also doesn't mean he did.

Hardly an indicator of innocence

There was literally a video of Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend out and dragging her unconsciously down a hall

She later gave a press conference claiming remorse for her part in the incident and later venting anger at her husbands dexreased earning power.

Not wanting to testify doesn’t mean anything st all, she could just be protecting her golden goose

Uh huh. And therefore, we should assume a "vicious assault", which the public had (has).

A reminder that Osuna didn't even appeal his suspension. Freely handed over half a years salary. The woman moved back to Mexico and didn't want to come back to Canada to testify.

It's all over now, I have my personal opinion on the matter, but it doesn't matter. Houston is a fitting organization

With all the reputational risk involved, I'm certain that his agent, the MLBPA, the MLB and the Blue Jays each dictated that. There's rarely an appeal of a suspension without the backing of the MLBPA. And in this current environment, that was never going to happen.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So now we can trade for him back. Bichette + Jansen :sarcasm:

Not sure if this gives him anymore value or not. Probably, this result makes me wish we hung onto him, even if he didn't play, he likely has more value this offseason with this out of the way. Oh well, ownership didn't want him around anymore so there's no much you can do.

That approach, though the absolutely correct one, would have required patience and maturity from the public. Both things that are severely lacking.

I don't blame Rogers. A publicly traded corporation must, at all costs, protect the shareholders. Rep risk is toxic. It was an easy call from that point of view.

It set the franchise back, and will penalize the fans slightly in terms of on-field product for a season or two. But honestly, the fanbase at large deserves it based on their behaviour.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
There is zero logic in thinking he is innocent. Only a fanboy who refuses to believe their hero is an asshole would think he he did not abuse her in some way.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Funny...we never did hear from the victim, did we? And yet, we've been painted a vivid picture of what occurred that night. Huh...interesting.

The most important part of this story is that Cartel connections can not be underestimated. It is very convenient that the accuser all of a sudden refuses to travel to Canada to testify. Osuna's Sinaloa connections were known prior to this even happening. He got off, congrats to him, but if you do some digging it isn't hard to conclude that he probably isn't a "good guy", at which point its up to you to guess whether or not he actually did something. This was a lose-lose for us from the start, oh well.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The most important part of this story is that Cartel connections can not be underestimated. It is very convenient that the accuser all of a sudden refuses to travel to Canada to testify. Osuna's Sinaloa connections were known prior to this even happening. He got off, congrats to him, but if you do some digging it isn't hard to conclude that he probably isn't a "good guy", at which point its up to you to guess whether or not he actually did something. This was a lose-lose for us from the start, oh well.

Agreed 100%. There was always risk involved with the player, and we've discussed his background in this thread many a time, moreso even preceding the arrest. Had nothing happened this year, he would have likely been shopped anyway.

My criticism of the situation and the parties involved has more to do with the timing of unloading the asset (which, as stated, makes sense from an ownership perspective far more than a on-field management perspective), and, perhaps moreso, the Yunelling of the situation, which we documented prior. No reason to delve back into it now.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
'twas told there were photos documented by police showing the victim on the night of with bruises and cuts.....that evidence is enough to proceed with trial.

If the alleged victim isn't in the country, refuses to travel here for trial (no victim no trial) and expresses a desire to move on with her life, the crown won't pursue charges. Especially if other things have happened behind the scenes that we may not be privy to (e.g., anger management classes). None of us know what happened that night, and I didn't even read the "reports" on the incident because there's no way to verify them (and any leaks would be highly illegal). So I'm not making a judgement either way. But if we're forced to make one based on some unrealistic scenario, it's likely simply based on statistics that an assault occurred.

Although, also based on statistics and this is something that the media doesn't report on, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mutually abusive situation. Research actually shows that men are more likely to be abused domestically and more likely to be seriously injured. Of course, that doesn't excuse anything that might have occurred on Osuna's end. And I'm not expressing myself well here, I don't mean to point fingers at Osuna's girlfriend, I'm merely making a ham-fisted attempt at explaining the statistics on domestic abuse that exist from a perspective that isn't often reported and may or may not apply to this incident.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If the alleged victim isn't in the country, refuses to travel here for trial (no victim no trial) and expresses a desire to move on with her life, the crown won't pursue charges. Especially if other things have happened behind the scenes that we may not be privy to (e.g., anger management classes). None of us know what happened that night, and I didn't even read the "reports" on the incident because there's no way to verify them (and any leaks would be highly illegal). So I'm not making a judgement either way. But if we're forced to make one based on some unrealistic scenario, it's likely simply based on statistics that an assault occurred.

Although, also based on statistics and this is something that the media doesn't report on, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mutually abusive situation. Research actually shows that men are more likely to be abused domestically and more likely to be seriously injured. Of course, that doesn't excuse anything that might have occurred on Osuna's end. And I'm not expressing myself well here, I don't mean to point fingers at Osuna's girlfriend, I'm merely making a ham-fisted attempt at explaining the statistics on domestic abuse that exist from a perspective that isn't often reported and may or may not apply to this incident.

No one is point fingers at her whatsoever. My criticism is of the public, or at the very least, the loud great unwashed.

Everything you've stated is factual and based in logic, which is fine by me. Though I will disagree on the first sentence; the crown will indeed continue to pursue charges if the crime is deemed serious enough (significant assault, coupled with hospital reports, neighbor accounts, and the statement of the arresting police officer). You see peace bonds signed often in cases of severe verbal disputes, mutual domestic assault, etc. when the victim, or the individual deemed the victim, does not want to testify.

Reactions: Mach85

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
No one is point fingers at her whatsoever. My criticism is of the public, or at the very least, the loud great unwashed.

Everything you've stated is factual and based in logic, which is fine by me. Though I will disagree on the first sentence; the crown will indeed continue to pursue charges if the crime is deemed serious enough (significant assault, coupled with hospital reports, neighbor accounts, and the statement of the arresting police officer). You see peace bonds signed often in cases of severe verbal disputes, mutual domestic assault, etc. when the victim, or the individual deemed the victim, does not want to testify.
If the assault is significant enough, I agree with you. But considering Osuna is travelling and working freely, we can assume what's known to police about this case doesn't reach that standard. Although like I said, I have no idea about what's rumoured, other than the reported facts (Osuna arrested, police witnessed injuries after the fact). I agree with you that the desire for salacious details turns cases like this into a feeding frenzy that gets pretty disgusting, even if the vast majority of accusations are founded.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the assault is significant enough, I agree with you. But considering Osuna is travelling and working freely, we can assume what's known to police about this case doesn't reach that standard. Although like I said, I have no idea about what's rumoured, other than the reported facts (Osuna arrested, police witnessed injuries after the fact). I agree with you that the desire for salacious details turns cases like this into a feeding frenzy that gets pretty disgusting, even if the vast majority of accusations are founded.

He obviously did something egregious enough that MLB suspended him for 75 games and the Blue Jays/Rogers did not want to employ him any longer.
We don’t know all the facts, but you’d have to be rather naive not understand why the “court of public opinion” convicts him.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He obviously did something egregious enough that MLB suspended him for 75 games and the Blue Jays/Rogers did not want to employ him any longer.
We don’t know all the facts, but you’d have to be rather naive not understand why the “court of public opinion” convicts him.
Did you not read my post? I said that if I were forced to make a decision on what happened, I know what I'd be betting on (altho the MLB is not a criminal court, so that in itself is not irrefutable evidence, more like strong evidence). The rest of the discussion was a general one with DJQ about the vagaries and pitfalls of modern mass media and social media storms.

Reactions: Trawna Phan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad