Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Atkins would have seen Merryweather for 1.5 seasons in Cleveland, which means that this is a player he knows more about than some other random prospect. Believe it or not, this actually means something. Who gives a crap if he hasn't seen him pitch this season? Recovery from TJ is normal nowadays, and he's already seen what he can do when healthy.

The Indians actually added him to their 40 man roster AFTER his "terrible" 2017 season, so even they saw something that they obviously liked in an overage pitcher with a 5.32 ERA (ohhh nooo, ERA!!) otherwise they wouldn't have used a roster spot on him. You'd see what it is that they liked if you actually read a scouting report, but that is probably asking too much from you, and why would you need to do that when statline scouting exists and a 5.32 ERA season obviously means he's terrible?

Formerly the best fastball in the Indians system too, fwiw.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Toronto Blue Jays have the fifth-best farm system in baseball according to MLB Pipeline’s ranking from last month and general manager Ross Atkins spoke glowingly of the team’s prospects over the weekend. ESPN senior writer Keith Law doesn’t agree.

https://www.tsn.ca/law-on-jays-it-s-not-a-top-10-system-1.1168004
The Toronto Blue Jays have the fifth-best farm system in baseball according to MLB Pipeline’s ranking from last month and general manager Ross Atkins spoke glowingly of the team’s prospects over the weekend.

ESPN senior writer Keith Law doesn’t agree.

“It’s not a top 10 system. I think that’s absurd. I understand that teams like to boast about their own farm systems, but the objective evidence is simply not there. I find that really empty,” Law said Wednesday on Landsberg in the Morning.

“Look, everybody thinks they have a good farm system, but it is disturbing when you exaggerate to that extent. The Blue Jays have a top-heavy system. They have arguably three prospects who are among the elite in the game and then below that it gets very thin very quickly.”

The three Law is referring to are likely Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Bo Bichette and Danny Jansen, who has held his own in 44 at-bats at the big-league level.
Law, who worked for the club from 2002 to 2006 in the scouting department and as a special assistant to GM J.P. Ricciardi, disagrees, saying the Jays’ system lacks depth.

“Farm systems that look like this are never in my top 10,” Law said. “The top 10 systems in baseball, objectively, should have both star-calibre prospects and quite a bit of depth of future average-or-better major leaguers. They don’t have the latter.”

The Jays added to their prospect pool with a flurry of trades this summer, but Law isn’t overly excited about the return.

“If you look at the results from the trades now, really they waited too long to trade a couple of key pieces and the returns have been very meager,” he said.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Keith Law is one of the biggest blowhards in sports media and that is saying something. Atleast with the Skip Bayless of the world you know they are basically playing a character to bring the money in lol. He is just petty and bitter. Not even a top 10 system lol list the 10 out Keith.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Atkins would have seen Merryweather for 1.5 seasons in Cleveland, which means that this is a player he knows more about than some other random prospect. Believe it or not, this actually means something. Who gives a crap if he hasn't seen him pitch this season? Recovery from TJ is normal nowadays, and he's already seen what he can do when healthy.

The Indians actually added him to their 40 man roster AFTER his "terrible" 2017 season, so even they saw something that they obviously liked in an overage pitcher with a 5.32 ERA (ohhh nooo, ERA!!) otherwise they wouldn't have used a roster spot on him. You'd see what it is that they liked if you actually read a scouting report, but that is probably asking too much from you, and why would you need to do that when statline scouting exists and a 5.32 ERA season obviously means he's terrible?

I'm not sure why you are getting so offended.

I don't'dislike Atkins. I don't dislike the trade even, assuming they felt it was the best return. I even said when the news was breaking that if we are getting a lower grade prospect, at least it will be likely someone Atkins/Shapiro know a bit about.

I simply don't like saying that Merryweather is going to have a significant impact on our roster, and the optics of saying you are happy with the return, given JD's 1st, 4th and 22nd in MVP voting seasons are still very fresh in the fans minds. As I said, Merryweather appears to have a solid HR rate, and even his BB rate is decent, but his H and ER rates are very high. Maybe he's a late bloomer. Maybe he's a guy that doesn't stand out in the minors and comes to the majors and has a "significant impact".

That's impossible for anyone to say.

Thus, is why I don't like Atkins boldly proclaiming he is very happy with the return and that the PTBNL will have a major impact on the roster.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
That's odd phrasing by KLaw...he acknowledges all teams boast about their systems, yet somehow the Jays are the only team that's pulled the wool over the eyes of the scouting services to get them to "exaggerate" their ranking...just because?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That's odd phrasing by KLaw...he acknowledges all teams boast about their systems, yet somehow the Jays are the only team that's pulled the wool over the eyes of the scouting services to get them to "exaggerate" their ranking...just because?

Yeah, that's what I don't get. Like... he says "it is disturbing when you exaggerate to that extent". Shapiro must be more powerful than we've given him credit for if he's forced Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, MLB.com, and Fangraphs to all be really, really high on the Jays farm system.

At least Keith Law is here to see through every other prospect evaluator's lies to set us straight.

Reactions: Mach85

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The Toronto Blue Jays have the fifth-best farm system in baseball according to MLB Pipeline’s ranking from last month and general manager Ross Atkins spoke glowingly of the team’s prospects over the weekend. ESPN senior writer Keith Law doesn’t agree.

https://www.tsn.ca/law-on-jays-it-s-not-a-top-10-system-1.1168004

“Farm systems that look like this are never in my top 10,” Law said. “The top 10 systems in baseball, objectively, should have both star-calibre prospects and quite a bit of depth of future average-or-better major leaguers. They don’t have the latter.”

2018 MLB Organizational Talent Rankings

State of the System: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. alone carries enormous value, and the combination of Vlad Jr. and Bo Bichette gives the Blue Jays the best prospect duo in the game. Yet the Blue Jays also have impressive depth as well, with big leaps forward from Kevin Smith, Cavan Biggio and Sean Reid-Foley, impressive returns from a 2017 international class led by 17-year-old righthander Eric Pardinho and a strong 2018 draft class.

:laugh:

Reactions: phillipmike

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I dislike this FO....but if they overhaul the FO this quickly after the short-term waste is already done, it'll be an even bigger joke.

just sell the team to MLSE already.

Huh? I mean all that really does is have Rogers sell half the team to Bell (and some Tanenbaum combination)

How does that improve the fortunes of the club at all?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Huh? I mean all that really does is have Rogers sell half the team to Bell (and some Tanenbaum combination)

How does that improve the fortunes of the club at all?

Look how MLSE is running its 3 teams.

Money is no object. Elite executives are pursued and acquired. Elite players are pursued and acquired.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Keith Law says "Jays have a top 10 system" = no story

Keith Law criticizes the Jays and say they do not = story and we give him clicks and material to work with.

Wasting time discussing him. He is in the business of getting people to talk about him and by us taking his opinion at face value is giving him what he wants. Has to get those subscribers.

Clearly he is wrong, nothing to discuss.

Reactions: Kurtz

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Valid concerns. Aside from the 3 mentioned and Nate Pearson it does get a little dicey after that.
Negative nancy at your service.
No it doesnt get dicey at all.
SRF
Zeuch
Paradinho
Groshans
Kloffanstein
Alford
Smith
Hiraldo
Martinez

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I heard the interview this morning, it was like Landsberg and Cauz didn't know that BA and MLB Pipeline had the Jays system ranked top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad