Post-Game Talk: Thank You Based Drai

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
My thought on the game.

1) Too many stupid penalties. The PK looked good, that's a bonnus.

2) Gags seems to be grabbing that second line spot, can he play LW? It looked to me like whenever RHN and Gags were on the ice, Gags would take the FO, which can be another reason to play Gags on the second line.

3) Drai looked very good.

4) I liked Nygard, he seems to become a bit more confident as he gets more familiar with NA and his linemates.

5) Looking at all their preseason games, if Rittich goes down or regresses, the Flames are going to be in trouble.... Really big trouble. And I will not be surprised if Rittich regresses this year.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
How has Brandon Manning looked? I've seen some posts about "Manning-Bearpig" but I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or not lol

Are they actually good?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
How has Brandon Manning looked? I've seen some posts about "Manning-Bearpig" but I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or not lol

Are they actually good?

He's been okay.

If they're going to run with benning and 1 young guy in the top 6, I would be okay with manning as the number 7 based on his play in camp.

Reactions: La Bamba

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Totally fair comment and why I've said that players like Gagner, Kass, Chiasson, etc will slide in and out of the topsix. I think Neal will stick there and should. But this is a much better situation to have than last year where we had limited players suitable to help out on topsix.

By no means am I saying at this point that Gagner is equal measure to the stars of this team. Nuge has put it in a totally different orbit and good for him. But Gagner can help out if he bags 40pts or so. For sure Gagner will have bottomsix time as well and will be shortleashed in some games. Gagner is inconsistent, I don't think he can play 80.

I really hope Kass can play more games than he has at a top pace. Sky is the limit with the dude, a much better player than widely acknowledged, just that he has had huge problems being that for any length of time.

I really like though how Drai particularly will praise players like Kass and tell them what talent they have. Remind them of it. That's a good thing to do.

I agree, Kassian is a strong skater and has pretty good hands and a sneaky shot. I think Tip can teach him what he needs to do to be really effective playing with Connor and Leon. If he’s skating hard, creating space and shooting the puck a lot he’s going to be very effective in that spot.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Are they actually good?
Manning has been solid. He played one game with Bear and one split with Bear and Bouchard. He’s been better than expected.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Gagner is found money after Chiarelli's insane trade of Strome for nothing. He's got solid hockey sense that enables decent offensive production but is exposed by bad boots and lacklustre defensive play. On this team his greatest asset is as a veteran Pro's Pro who can offer some leadership support while chipping in some offence when protected.

I don't see Gagner sticking as second line winger with Nygard offering elite speed and finishing better suited to enable this slow team to play with pace in its top six. Burdasov is the other wildcard option with sniping ability on a team that has too many pass first options. Gags will move around this roster in sheltered minutes and help secondary PP.

The blueline battle is interesting with Benning being quite poor through exhibition season.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nice post. We need some of the guys from the AHL to jump in, and it seemed to me Marody was closest. Gags is only going to be around this year, maybe next season. I could see him retiring actually at that point. Who knows, maybe he kicks MSL overdrive and hangs around but I don't think so.

But I absolutely love the current accountability under Tippet. REAL accountability, not stated. I like how he turned the 6-1 loss as a positive in that it was really evaluative and showed a lot. I don't doubt the young players learn from it. We need them to.

As you know I've turned the page on Pulju. I'm a less good person than Holland, RNH, Drai, McD who have kept the door open. I don't think it happens here.

But I'm here for Benson to show when he's ready. Or others. until then we need hands on deck that can produce now.
I also love this.

I saw you posting about how pretty much everyone should be cut, and then right after the game, there were like 13 cuts made.

Spot on.

Reactions: MessierII

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Manning has been solid. He played one game with Bear and one split with Bear and Bouchard. He’s been better than expected.
I would be fine with him sitting as our 6/7 over having a rookie sit in the press box.

With injuries Jones and Lagesson and Bear will all get opportunities this year to show what they have at the NHL level.

Reactions: MessierII

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I like Laggeson. Guy is a cool as a cat, he doesnt get fazed easily. Him and Bear have really surprised me. Bear makes heads up plays all over the offensive zone. You don't see these two just blindly throwing pucks out of the defensive zone.

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Responses to both;

Neal is sure going to be getting some gravy service here as well. He's going to like playing here a whole lot more than in Calgary.

Theres a quantum difference. In Calgary he didn't get as much primo spots and due to the hierarchy on that team they were telling him with toi that there were Flames go to's and there was Neal. They were going with their guys.

Neal is being accepted here with open arms pretty much how the Flames chose to handle Lindholm.

Don't count out Neal having a better season that either Lindholm or of course Lucic this year.

Neal will be properly utilized here and Tippet is very good at using player resources.
I think Neal will bounce back in Edmonton- how much I am not sure, but have a better season than Lindholm? Elias will be 24/25 this season and is coming off 78 points. He is just entering his Prime. Neal is 32 and hasn't even hit 60 points since 2013-2014. Seems a tad optimistic to me

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I would be fine with him sitting as our 6/7 over having a rookie sit in the press box.

With injuries Jones and Lagesson and Bear will all get opportunities this year to show what they have at the NHL level.
Manning is pricey to sit in the PB as a #7.

With Brodziak taking up cap space on LTIR... I think they'll want to save every penny they can... especially if they end up signing Burdasov as well (which they should).

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Manning is pricey to sit in the PB as a #7.

With Brodziak taking up cap space on LTIR... I think they'll want to save every penny they can... especially if they end up signing Burdasov as well (which they should).

He costs the same regardless of where he sits.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yes but we still have to pay his.... replacement.

So if we dress him or put him in the A it's pretty much a wash.

It saves cap space by having a Bear/Jones/Lagesson on the team instead of Manning.

"Pretty much a wash" isn't enough when this team is as tight to the cap as it is... every dollar will help as they already have Brodziak counting against the cap on LTIR.

If they want to sign someone like Burdasov it will help as well... because he may cost more than a player like Cave/Jurco... so that small savings by having Manning in the AHL will be a BIG benefit if that cap savings goes towards having a better, more productive player on the roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not every instance of someone calling out your name involves an activity where you smoke a cigar afterwards...

But its the way that they say it..

I can't help it, it rings my bell.

In anycase imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. often duplicated, never bettered. yada yada

Everything, or nothing like that..;)

its hard to put a copyright on a name like Replacement..;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But its the way that they say it..

I can't help it, it rings my bell.

In anycase imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. often duplicated, never bettered. yada yada

Everything, or nothing like that..;)

its hard to put a copyright on a name like Replacement..;)

A clone is the perfect duplication of somebody.

Just saying... ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A clone is the perfect duplication of somebody.

Just saying... ;)

I fed that line. I get an assist.

So one could even say you're the replacement.

Or that you got Bizzy and half the board is..

Something odd around here, don't adjust the dial up;)

Newer posters be wondering whats going on

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I fed that line. I get an assist.

So one could even say you're the replacement.

Or that you got Bizzy and half the board is..

Something odd around here, don't adjust the dial up;)

Newer posters be wondering whats going on

Well, if I ever come up with another username like Yamamotor then we’ll know something’s up. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad