Post-Game Talk: Thank You Based Drai

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not even a reasonable argument . Manning is a guy that shouldn't be in the league of course he would sign a contract that pays him 8,000,000.00 . Most up and coming players would not sign a low contract that takes most of their prime years up . If he has any kind of agent his agent would make sure he never excepted it .

Your orvenal argument is base on an educated guess or an opinion . Manning at 8 million is a fantasy land argument .

It’s just an extreme example to show a point. Point being it’s possible to predict and speculate on a contract a player would sign given his current situation, level of play etc. What we are talking about is Nurse in his 40 game, 11 point season. I think, and many others at the time thought it’d be realistic to sign him EARLY long term at around 4M and that contract should have been offered.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nice game from Gagner. Liked his work with Drai as well.

Just a week ago on this very board I was reading how Gagner was setting the "low waterline" for Benson, Jurko, Nygard to burst through thereby rendering Gagner to the trash heap.

Other posts expounded on how Gagner was a Piece of shit that should be rated on a feces scale. (these posts actually occurred here, you know who you are)

A third view had it that I disliked Benson solely because Benson was primed to take Gagners position away and that it was Gimme that Benson would be topsix THIS season.

A whole faction of posters were setting a spot at McD and Drai's table because Benson is ready and he's that good.

Funny how all those views are being made to look silly in light of the weeks events.

Vets rule until prospects don't drool.

I'll take an established vet with 450NHLpts over maybe NHL players any day of the week.

Gagner has looked good in two outings. The only other player in the list above that has looked good is Jurko.

Now its a given that none of the parties that maligned Gagner, once again, will come forward and acknowledge that the dislike of this player, just because he's prone to unseat AHL upstarts, will come forward here.

The Edmonton Oilers are better, this season, with Gagner on or around the topsix and who can obviously be another guy who can play with skill. That's good for the Oilers. That should probably be considered at some point..

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its positive for the club that the Oilers now have McD, Drai, Nuge, Neal, Gagner as some talent that can play in topsix.

Calgary had an advantage last year in having 4 of their players that could produce. We only had 3. I expect Neal to have a really good return here and Gagner could have a 40 or more point season. Far cry from where the 4th leading Oilers scorer was last season.

In anycase its a lock before the season starts that we will have at least 4, maybe 5, productive forwards this season. Last season our 4th leading scorer was a D. Darnell Nurse. We need more offense, and getting it from the looks of things.

The object of any org should be to accrue talent that can play. The object of any team with McD and Drai on it would be to add some capable offense to supplant that. Holland, almost by default, and just one trade, Neal for Lucic, has done that.

Pulju who?

Reactions: Tremor and Nunymare

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Wow, that was a low effort play my Hanifin on the Drai goal. Gets turned easily, and then proceeds to lazily back check and watch the give and go instead of tying up Drai's stick.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Just a week ago on this very board I was reading how Gagner was setting the "low waterline" for Benson, Jurko, Nygard to burst through thereby rendering Gagner to the trash heap.

Other posts expounded on how Gagner was a Piece of **** that should be rated on a feces scale. (these posts actually occurred here, you know who you are)

A third view had it that I disliked Benson solely because Benson was primed to take Gagners position away and that it was Gimme that Benson would be topsix THIS season.

A whole faction of posters were setting a spot at McD and Drai's table because Benson is ready and he's that good.

Funny how all those views are being made to look silly in light of the weeks events.

I'll take an established vet with 450NHLpts over maybe NHL players any day of the week.

Gagner has looked good in two outings. The only other player in the list above that has looked good is Jurko.

Now its a given that none of the parties that maligned Gagner, once again, will come forward and acknowledge that the dislike of this player, just because he's prone to unseat AHL upstarts, will come forward here.

The Edmonton Oilers are better, this season, with Gagner on or around the topsix and who can obviously be another guy who can play with skill. That's good for the Oilers. That should probably be considered at some point..
Are you surprised that people think you dislike benson because he might take a job from gagner?

You’ve been bitter towards RNH since he was “gifted” top line minutes while gagner was moved down the lineup which you said resulted in gagner never having a chance with skill players (which he still had plenty of ice time with skill)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its positive for the club that the Oilers now have McD, Drai, Nuge, Neal, Gagner as some talent that can play in topsix.

Calgary had an advantage last year in having 4 of their players that could produce. We only had 3. I expect Neal to have a really good return here and Gagner could have a 40 or more point season. Far cry from where the 4th leading Oilers scorer was last season.

In anycase its a lock before the season starts that we will have at least 4, maybe 5, productive forwards this season. Last season our 4th leading scorer was a D. Darnell Nurse. We need more offense, and getting it from the looks of things.

The object of any org should be to accrue talent that can play. The object of any team with McD and Drai on it would be to add some capable offense to supplant that. Holland, almost by default, and just one trade, Neal for Lucic, has done that.

Pulju who?
The only reason I don't want Gagner with Nuge and Neal is purely due to speed cause both him and Neal are pretty darnslow.

Solid prefer a guy like Nygard or Burdasov there... However they need to show as well to do so.

If Nygard or Burdasov show up then you have 2 solid top lines and the. Gagner and Chiasson producing on the third line.

That said ideal rarely happens and I'm fine with Gagner is there as the best guy for the job. I'd just prefer someone else show up.

Also, I love Benson. I just don't see how he works with Nuge and Neal. Top line with Drai and McDavid works but he isn't quite ready for that. Benson works best with faster line mates that can score, which is exactly what McDavid and Drai are. Sadly he didn't show enough to earn a look there

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are you surprised that people think you dislike benson because he might take a job from gagner?

You’ve been bitter towards RNH since he was “gifted” top line minutes while gagner was moved down the lineup which you said resulted in gagner never having a chance with skill players (which he still had plenty of ice time with skill)

You've said this half a dozen times already this fall. I've responded that my comments about Nuge have been very positive, I adore the way he is playing these past couple years and that he's grown to take more of a leadership role as well as upping his production appreciably.

I could wax on at length about the strides Nuge has taken, and have, and it wouldn't matter. You'd come at me saying I somehow hate Nuge.

The comments I'm referring to happen ALWAYS regarding Gagner and to present day. Perhaps some of those posters can address their own apparent continued dislike of Gagner.

The Oilers are better for having Nuge remain on the team, and for adding Neal and Gagner that can play. Why malign that?

But hey, take me to task for an opinion expressed half a dozen years ago. As if its current...

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You've said this half a dozen times already this fall. I've responded that my comments about Nuge have been very positive, I adore the way he is playing these past couple years and that he's grown to take more of a leadership role as well as upping his production appreciably.

I could wax on at length about the strides Nuge has taken, and have, and it wouldn't matter. You'd come at me saying I somehow hate Nuge.

The comments I'm referring to happen ALWAYS regarding Gagner and to present day. Perhaps some of those posters can address their own apparent continued dislike of Gagner.

The Oilers are better for having Nuge remain on the team, and for adding Neal and Gagner that can play. Why malign that?

But hey, take me to task for an opinion expressed half a dozen years ago. As if its current...
Your opinion was still current last year when gagner was traded to the team.

Anyways, moving on.

The oilers are better with both of them on the team, just worried if that second line will be a little too slow if gagner and Neal are both on it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Other posts expounded on how Gagner was a Piece of **** that should be rated on a feces scale. (these posts actually occurred here, you know who you are)

I agree but I think we'll also see a lot of inconsistent play and fading from Gagner. His skating worries me and I don't know how effective he will be over the course of 82 games. But he does have the skill to play in the top 6 and if he finds some chemistry and gets off to a hot start he could buy some time for them to find a more long term solution. Hopefully the slap in the face of being sent down relatively early in camp will be enough to push guys like Benson and Marody to really step up and make their mark.

Bako is gonna be lit to start the season so they should be winning and building that confidence on the ice.

Benson - Marody - Yamamoto
Russell - Mcleod - Maksimov
Currie - Malone - Gambardella
Vesey - Hebig - Safin

Samo - Bouchard
Jones - Day
Lowe - Manning

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree but I think we'll also see a lot of inconsistent play and fading from Gagner. His skating worries me and I don't know how effective he will be over the course of 82 games. But he does have the skill to play in the top 6 and if he finds some chemistry and gets off to a hot start he could buy some time for them to find a more long term solution. Hopefully the slap in the face of being sent down relatively early in camp will be enough to push guys like Benson and Marody to really step up and make their mark.

Bako is gonna be lit to start the season so they should be winning and building that confidence on the ice.

Benson - Marody - Yamamoto
Russell - Mcleod - Maksimov
Currie - Malone - Gambardella
Vesey - Hebig - Safin

Samo - Bouchard
Jones - Day
Lowe - Manning

Totally fair comment and why I've said that players like Gagner, Kass, Chiasson, etc will slide in and out of the topsix. I think Neal will stick there and should. But this is a much better situation to have than last year where we had limited players suitable to help out on topsix.

By no means am I saying at this point that Gagner is equal measure to the stars of this team. Nuge has put it in a totally different orbit and good for him. But Gagner can help out if he bags 40pts or so. For sure Gagner will have bottomsix time as well and will be shortleashed in some games. Gagner is inconsistent, I don't think he can play 80.

I really hope Kass can play more games than he has at a top pace. Sky is the limit with the dude, a much better player than widely acknowledged, just that he has had huge problems being that for any length of time.

I really like though how Drai particularly will praise players like Kass and tell them what talent they have. Remind them of it. That's a good thing to do.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

In a perfect world the likes of Benson would've crushed it and given us another top 6 option. Gagner has the skill to be in top 6 but his speed and defensive play (which IMO has been better in his 2nd go around as an Oiler but will be tested more in a top 6 role) are what could hold him back. Good on Gagner for coming to play while everyone wants his job, if he does well he could keep his playing career going for a few more years as long as his contract isn't too bad. Better to have a vet like Gagner that needs to be leapfrogged vs. rookies walking in and taking jobs they aren't ready to take.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Totally fair comment and why I've said that players like Gagner, Kass, Chiasson, etc will slide in and out of the topsix. I think Neal will stick there and should. But this is a much better situation to have than last year where we had limited players suitable to help out on topsix.

By no means am I saying at this point that Gagner is equal measure to the stars of this team. Nuge has put it in a totally different orbit and good for him. But Gagner can help out if he bags 40pts or so. For sure Gagner will have bottomsix time as well and will be shortleashed in some games. Gagner is inconsistent, I don't think he can play 80.

I really hope Kass can play more games than he has at a top pace. Sky is the limit with the dude, a much better player than widely acknowledged, just that he has had huge problems being that for any length of time.

I really like though how Drai particularly will praise players like Kass and tell them what talent they have. Remind them of it. That's a good thing to do.

Completely agree, the addition of Neal and the additions to the bottom half of our roster should make things much better for the club as a whole. Gagner is at least a guy that can play with and put up numbers with skill, prior to his arrival last season we had 3 players like that (4 if you include Chiasson). You need everyone pulling their weight to have a good team, and Gagner seems primed to do that and will be valuable as an offensive player for us providing depth scoring.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In a perfect world the likes of Benson would've crushed it and given us another top 6 option. Gagner has the skill to be in top 6 but his speed and defensive play (which IMO has been better in his 2nd go around as an Oiler but will be tested more in a top 6 role) are what could hold him back. Good on Gagner for coming to play while everyone wants his job, if he does well he could keep his playing career going for a few more years as long as his contract isn't too bad. Better to have a vet like Gagner that needs to be leapfrogged vs. rookies walking in and taking jobs they aren't ready to take.

Nice post. We need some of the guys from the AHL to jump in, and it seemed to me Marody was closest. Gags is only going to be around this year, maybe next season. I could see him retiring actually at that point. Who knows, maybe he kicks MSL overdrive and hangs around but I don't think so.

But I absolutely love the current accountability under Tippet. REAL accountability, not stated. I like how he turned the 6-1 loss as a positive in that it was really evaluative and showed a lot. I don't doubt the young players learn from it. We need them to.

As you know I've turned the page on Pulju. I'm a less good person than Holland, RNH, Drai, McD who have kept the door open. I don't think it happens here.

But I'm here for Benson to show when he's ready. Or others. until then we need hands on deck that can produce now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Completely agree, the addition of Neal and the additions to the bottom half of our roster should make things much better for the club as a whole. Gagner is at least a guy that can play with and put up numbers with skill, prior to his arrival last season we had 3 players like that (4 if you include Chiasson). You need everyone pulling their weight to have a good team, and Gagner seems primed to do that and will be valuable as an offensive player for us providing depth scoring.

Its funny that Neal dogged it in Calgary and is bringing his best showing here. I'm seeing the Neal that is sniping and looking to turn it around and knowing what kind of season he could have slotting in with any of McD or Drai, or Nuge with or without Gagner and so on.

Neal is getting into spots, getting open, and getting mustard on shots.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nice post. We need some of the guys from the AHL to jump in, and it seemed to me Marody was closest. Gags is only going to be around this year, maybe next season. I could see him retiring actually at that point. Who knows, maybe he kicks MSL overdrive and hangs around but I don't think so.

But I absolutely love the current accountability under Tippet. REAL accountability, not stated. I like how he turned the 6-1 loss as a positive in that it was really evaluative and showed a lot. I don't doubt the young players learn from it. We need them to.

As you know I've turned the page on Pulju. I'm a less good person than Holland, RNH, Drai, McD who have kept the door open. I don't think it happens here.

But I'm here for Benson to show when he's ready. Or others. until then we need hands on deck that can produce now.

IMO Gagner may have a little more tread on the tires but he'll have to sign for $2 million or less to stay in the big show. He has value at that type of number.

Agreed that Marody showed the best. Ironically he reminds me of Gagner just less feisty but with a better stick defensively. McLeod one day will be a solid middle 6 center for us, both could use more time in the AHL to get their games to new levels.

Pulju is the forgotten man at this point, until something happens I could care less about him tbh.

Benson has skills but he needs more work and seasoning.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its funny that Neal dogged it in Calgary and is bringing his best showing here. I'm seeing the Neal that is sniping and looking to turn it around and knowing what kind of season he could have slotting in with any of McD or Drai, or Nuge with or without Gagner and so on.

I wanted him as an UFA (I also wanted Looch so wtf do I know? lol!) because he can flat out shoot the puck and we need guys that can snipe. Big body that can play physical (even dirty) and gets into open areas, a legit sniper to play with Nuge or load up the top line when need be.

Reactions: TB12

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Yep. When he grabbed that rebound in tight and immediately shot in top cheddar... my jaw dropped.

I know it hit the bottom of the cross bar and bounced out but still that shot is quick, accurate and an absolute piss missile.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wanted him as an UFA (I also wanted Looch so wtf do I know? lol!) because he can flat out shoot the puck and we need guys that can snipe. Big body that can play physical (even dirty) and gets into open areas, a legit sniper to play with Nuge or load up the top line when need be.
Yep. When he grabbed that rebound in tight and immediately shot in top cheddar... my jaw dropped.

I know it hit the bottom of the cross bar and bounced out but still that shot is quick, accurate and an absolute piss missile.

Responses to both;

Neal is sure going to be getting some gravy service here as well. He's going to like playing here a whole lot more than in Calgary.

Theres a quantum difference. In Calgary he didn't get as much primo spots and due to the hierarchy on that team they were telling him with toi that there were Flames go to's and there was Neal. They were going with their guys.

Neal is being accepted here with open arms pretty much how the Flames chose to handle Lindholm.

Don't count out Neal having a better season that either Lindholm or of course Lucic this year.

Neal will be properly utilized here and Tippet is very good at using player resources.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Total conjecture...but is there any kind of chance in the slightest that Neal gets a shot at playing with McDavid and Draisatl?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I don't know what's being talked about, the vast majority of posters (including IATL, who has never been a big fan) seem to be cheering for Gagner.

I think I've seen Aerchon call Gagner garbage, but he's the master of hot takes so I wouldn't think too much on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad