Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson
Baertschi-Sutter-Virtanen
Spooner (Roussel)-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Myers
Hughes-Tanev

Markstrom
Demko

The above isn’t a playoff team. Benning still has some work to do. Not impressed with that defense either.

What's funny is that is a cap max team. :laugh:

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
What's funny is that is a cap max team. :laugh:

not sure we can even afford that tbh, we've got 17m in cap space and would have to sign Myers which would cost $7m(generous estimate) and then re-sign Boeser, Hutton and Leivo with 10m? dont think thats do-able

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Prediction: The Myers contract will be originally reported as something so incredibly absurd that when it ends up being slightly less awful it will be seen as a success.

Reactions: xtra

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
No one is taking Schaller unless something is added

Spooner is a much bigger issue than Schaller. Even if you put Spooner in the minors he's taking up over $2M in cap space.

The problem is that management has taken the one bit of leverage they had (i.e. cap space) and squandered it on nothing that will really improve the team. So now they're like half the league trying to ditch crappy contracts with no value.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Prediction: The Myers contract will be originally reported as something so incredibly absurd that when it ends up being slightly less awful it will be seen as a success.

7 years $52.5m is my prediction as to what it actually comes out as

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
not sure we can even afford that tbh, we've got 17m in cap space and would have to sign Myers which would cost $7m(generous estimate) and then re-sign Boeser, Hutton and Leivo with 10m? dont think thats do-able
Maybe its just me, but in addition to all these signings required and likely to happen, i still worry about Luongo's recapture penalty a lot.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Maybe its just me, but in addition to all these signings required and likely to happen, i still worry about Luongo's recapture penalty a lot.
Too many people are glossing over this! 3m in dead cap space, with Luongo healthy right now and zero games to be played between now and the season I just don’t see how Vancouver can get away without this hurting. Hossa was investigated for his retirement, so it will have to be legit reason why he goes on LTIR

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Too many people are glossing over this! 3m in dead cap space, with Luongo healthy right now and zero games to be played between now and the season I just don’t see how Vancouver can get away without this hurting. Hossa was investigated for his retirement, so it will have to be legit reason why he goes on LTIR

is being 450 years old a good enough reason?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
They are absolutely going full out for Myers. And at this point i dont think they have much choice. The Miller trade signalled we're going for it now, gotta add to this backend or were going nowhere.

I dont agree with it, but im expecting minimum 6x6.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

The worst part about that is it would probably be looked at as an excuse about why the team didn't make the playoffs instead of seen as poor planning of a terrible execution of this horrid management team.

#blamegillis #firebenning

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
They are absolutely going full out for Myers. And at this point i dont think they have much choice. The Miller trade signalled we're going for it now, gotta add to this backend or were going nowhere.

I dont agree with it, but im expecting minimum 6x6.
That’s low expectations!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The only way the rumors make some sense is if they're replacing guys. So you'll have Myers in, and Tanev out. Benn would be viewed as maybe a slightly cheaper replacement for Hutton (who will also be traded) assuming he signs for under $4M AAV on a 2-3 year deal.

Assuming you ditch Spooner and Schaller in the minors, and then trade Tanev and Hutton for basically draft picks, you should have room to sign Myers, Benn and Boeser for around $20M total.

Similarly, Sutter and Eriksson could be swapped for guys on similar salary just for the sake of change.

I don't know if the roster will actually be better though. The defense would probably look like:

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Stecher
Benn-Biega

Or some such.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
why would we given a 3rd paring Dmen like Benn 3 years at 3 million... at the age of 31

Because that’s what happens in Free Agency.

It’s the worst possible way to improve your team.

Drafting and shrewd trading/asset management are 1 and 2. FA is for managers who can’t do either of these things well and rely on throwing massive dollars and term at players that almost certainly won’t live up to it.

It’s not like the NBA where actual star players routinely hit the market; guys like Tavares and Panarin almost never become available. Most star players in the NHL never make it there, so you end up with the second and third-tier players trying to get paid like first-tier players. And they do, every time.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
why would we given a 3rd paring Dmen like Benn 3 years at 3 million... at the age of 31

As noted, likely because you need someone to replace Hutton on the LS at a lower cap hit. It seems like Hutton is going after $4M+ AAV.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
after picking up miller i am totally lost as to how we do much without moving out large salaries. buyout spooner maybe, but how are we even in a conversation with myers until we move tanev or sutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad