Confirmed with Link: TEUVO TIME!!!!!: Turbo signs 5 year extension

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wow. I’m not trying to be a jerk but just because TT plays on the pk doesn’t make him a higher level defensive player. Being an offensive threat can make you a good pk’er. I’m glad he’s bought into working harder defensively, and Rod is pushing the right buttons but he’s not comparable to Lindholm. Pump the breaks a bit. It’s a market deal.

I’d still cringe if the guy was out on a 3 on 3. He’s still going to pass when he needs to shoot. He’s still not a boards player. He is what he is, a skilled passer who meshes well with the guy we’re building around. He hasn’t magically become a different hockey player.

For the record, I agree. TT has a lot of warts as a player. He also has genuine talent in some areas of the game, and meshes well with our star center. He's not a versatile player at all. His game is specific and limited, and he's good at playing that specific style of game. End of the day, he's a good complementary player on a fair market rate deal. This is not some big discount, this is not a guy who's about to break out for twice the points, this is not a guy who's going to suddenly start driving play and getting pucks for himself. Teravainen will make pretty passes and occasionally shoot lasers if somebody else gives him the puck to do it. He does that well, and doing that well gets you points, and points are important. You can't win without scoring. But he needs a cast of good players around him willing to do the other parts of the game in order to put up those points in a way that a guy like Aho doesn't.

I'm happy he's signed, but I'm definitely in the 'pump the brakes just a little' camp.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm cool with this.
you-may-be-cool-but-you-will-never-beridingaroundthewall-of-3914897.png

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like that Tuevo Hartford Jerseys I just ordered might age well.

As much crap as I’ve given him earlier in the season, it’s still a good deal at a good price.

I’m still curious as to where the cutoff lies on the how many deals we got to make and contracts we have to sign to satisfy the spend money crowd. Obviously we are not there yet.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Looks like that Tuevo Hartford Jerseys I just ordered might age well.

As much crap as I’ve given him earlier in the season, it’s still a good deal at a good price.

I’m still curious as to where the cutoff lies on the how many deals we got to make and contracts we have to sign to satisfy the spend money crowd. Obviously we are not there yet.
Well we are most likely not going to make the playoffs this year and have had the lowest payroll in the league, at least until TT's deal kicks in. Do you think we're there yet?

Last edited:

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Well we most likely not going to make the playoffs this year and have had the lowest payroll in the league, at least until TT's deal kicks in. Do you think we're there yet?

I’m not one to think spending money just to spend is a wise way to conduct a successful business and don’t think it necessarily equates to playoff appearances and success. Where I normally like to see money come into effect is when you have a good core base of players that are reasonably cost controlled and you have need for one or two pieces. That said I think if the right opportunities arrive then by all means spend. I don’t agree with overpaying and more so, over terming a contract for a player based on emotional value. While it does factor in you have to look at the market and the replacement value and cost of that player example Ferland. I also don’t like making big contracts based on suspected growth when they haven’t shown the capabilities. Aho and TT were two major ones we needed done. I think we need one more top 6 piece and a goaltender but I’m hesitant giving the kind of money and term for the free agent class of goalies coming out so the goaltender gets some more time to work itself out. I’ve said all along that I don’t believe franchise goaltenders are bought but are rather created from within.

To straight answer your question, no I don’t think we’ve spent all we should have as of yet. I have faith my wants get done. Aho’s getting done, resign Marty, Svech’s BFF, if Ferland is reasonable lock him up find a good short term solution for the net. That’s about where I stand. Just don’t overpay for multiple years and saddle us with more wasted salary.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
are u saying that this board is overly reactive to short term trends? where the heck do u get off, mister?
Pretty personal question for a message board don't you think? :sarcasm:

I think even with droughts and streakiness, even a dip in production from 60 points, this would still be a solid deal. He's not an ideal first line winger, but he's pretty solid and has good chemistry with Aho. If we had even more talent on this team, I see no reason he couldn't work as a complimentary player away from Aho, but until recently our 2nd line was what McGinn/Staal/Williams?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Pretty personal question for a message board don't you think? :sarcasm:

I think even with droughts and streakiness, even a dip in production from 60 points, this would still be a solid deal. He's not an ideal first line winger, but he's pretty solid and has good chemistry with Aho. If we had even more talent on this team, I see no reason he couldn't work as a complimentary player away from Aho, but until recently our 2nd line was what McGinn/Staal/Williams?

I think this is a the major issue: how can you criticize TT for only producing with Aho when there isn't another consistent scorer on the team? Next best are Williams (27), Ferland (25 on the same line as TT and Aho), and Svech (22).

There isn't the depth on this team to merit splitting up Aho and TT yet.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
One of the reasons TT is better with Aho than without Aho is that Aho is the only legit NHL center we have. In other words, *every* winger we have is better with Aho than without him. It's easy to say that Ferland has chemistry with Aho, or Teravainen has chemistry with Aho, but I don't think that's the case. Aho is the only center we have capable of bringing out the best in his wingers. Niederreiter played one game with McKegg and he was invisible. Played the second with Aho and scored twice.

I'll say the same thing about TT that I said before. We really don't know what type a player he is on a good offense, because we've never seen him on a good offense. He was 21 on a deep Chicago team in 2015, so I don't think we can glean too much from that season. The numbers say he's a very good NHL player, and he will be in his prime for all five years of this extension.

As far as whether he's a "driver" or a "complementary" player, let's wait and see when we have a representative NHL offensive unit. It's entirely possible he's even better with Matt Duchene or Brayden Schenn as his center. We simply don't know because any time a player is away from Aho, it means he's with McKegg, Wallmark, Rask, Staal, Bishop or Roy, so it's really hard to judge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad