Terry Trafford Missing (Update: RIP)

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
@MarkSeidel:

"Shut the **** up you fraud & ambulance chaser! RT @OHLinsiders I'm working to get any confirmation I can on Terry's status. #PrayForTerry"

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Absolutely disgusting. My thoughts and Prayers to the Trafford family.

To the entire Saginaw Ownership, Management and Coaching staff :

You really sent a message.

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
@CindyPom

"BREAKING: Dad of missing OHL player Terry Trafford tells @globalnewsto son's body found half an hour ago. Missing frm Michigan since last wk"

Just awful.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Absolutely heartbreaking news. I wonder what the Spirit are going to say about this. RIP Terry

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Hopefully people can keep this respectful and not go out on a witch hunt as none of that really matters at this point. I can't imagine what his parents and close family/friends are going through. I feel so sorry for them. There are better days ahead.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Very sad.
Having been thru death of 2 teen friends when in high school, it's devastating to soooo many on a bunch of levels.

now is time to think of the family and friends of the Trafford family,

People will look for blame, it's natural. But let's all be respectful.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
SLEEP WELL TONIGHT

So it's their fault he had "troubles," "needed mentoring" at 20, and ended up taking his own life (presumably)? There's certainly fault to be had, but I fail to see how it's necessarily theirs at this point. Way to be the first to cast the blame, though.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Suicide is never the answer and Saginaw should not be held responsible for this.

RIP Terry Trafford.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So it's their fault he had "troubles," "needed mentoring" at 20, and ended up taking his own life (presumably)? There's certainly fault to be had, but I fail to see how it's necessarily theirs at this point. Way to be the first to cast the blame, though.

I don't see somebody casting blame but questions need to be asked and unfortunately these questions should be asked now because there's a good chance people will try and sweep this under the rug. Do you let Terry be an adult and make his own choices being 20 or since he was living with the owner of the team does the owner take responsibility and make sure he's taken care of?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Feel sorry for Terry and his family in this situation. Apparently his girlfriend said he was depressed for quite a while. Some people hide this issue for years. Can't blame the team for someone committing suicide. I am sure they feel guilty to an extent but many players have been sent home for years and not responded like Terry did. Time for prayers not blame.

Last edited:

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
STATEMENT FROM DAVID BRANCH, COMMISSIONER OF THE OHL
Toronto – On behalf of the Ontario Hockey League, our teams, players and staff I want to express our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Terry Trafford. This is a tragic situation for all involved.
We will work closely with the Saginaw Spirit to provide any support required to the players and staff during this very difficult time. In addition, all of our teams will be offering support to their players.
I would like to thank investigators in both Ontario and Michigan, the media for informing the public and for all who provided information. We will cooperate fully with any investigations.

STATEMENT FROM THE SAGINAW SPIRIT
Saginaw – It is with very heavy hearts that we announce that late this afternoon we were informed by the Michigan State Police that the body of Terry Trafford has been found.
Our deepest condolences are with Terry’s family and his friends both in Ontario and Michigan. Terry played on our team and was a member of the Spirit family for the last four years and he will be missed.
We have reached out to Terry’s parents and will look to provide them with support over the coming days. In addition, we met with team players and staff this evening, along with our Team Chaplain.
On behalf of the Spirit we would like to thank the police who were looking for Terry, the media for providing updates and all who provided information. The coming days will be difficult and we will endeavor to keep the community and media apprised of arrangements and other details.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Such sad news! was really hoping for a different outcome, depression is a terrible thing that affects people from every walk of life. I am glad that programs like Bell's Let's Talk are trying to shine more light on the issue, its such a shame that things like this happen every single day.
something I don't understand is how a truck with an apb out on it can sit in a Wal-Mart parking lot for 7 days before being noticed? I know at this point that really doesn't matter but it just strikes me as odd.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Absolutely disgusting. My thoughts and Prayers to the Trafford family.

To the entire Saginaw Ownership, Management and Coaching staff :

You really sent a message.

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT
Firstly my heart goes out to Sky and the Trafford family. I can't imagine what they are going through right now.

My thoughts exactly. My biggest question is why was he the only one punished when there was clearly other players on the team involved in the partying in Owen Sound. From what I can gather about what was said about that on the Saginaw board is that the other players couldn't be punished because of pressure from NHL teams and agents. All the players should have been punished or none at all. This whole situation leaves such a sour taste in your mouth.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Such sad news! was really hoping for a different outcome, depression is a terrible thing that affects people from every walk of life. I am glad that programs like Bell's Let's Talk are trying to shine more light on the issue, its such a shame that things like this happen every single day.
something I don't understand is how a truck with an apb out on it can sit in a Wal-Mart parking lot for 7 days before being noticed? I know at this point that really doesn't matter but it just strikes me as odd.

Is there info saying the truck had been there for 7 days....

I brought up Bell Lets Talk on another forum. We are trying to figure out ways to help people with depression. Now unfortunately this happens which should bring a bigger spotlight on it.

Rosalie

Nov 18, 2007
Montréal
Not pointing any fingers at this time as it is way to early to come to any conclusion and hopefully this entire situation will come to good ending for all, but hopefully this situation will prompt the CHL to establish a stronger support structure for these boys while in the hands of their club. The CHL is run like a business and in many situation players on these teams are treated like NHL players with a "tuff it out attitude". The CHL needs to realize that these kids are still kids and the league should make it mandatory for each team to have qualified personnel dealing with these kids on a personal level on almost a daily basis.

I totally agree. :nod:

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Suicide is never the answer and Saginaw should not be held responsible for this.

RIP Terry Trafford.

According to reports Saginaw violated league policy of disclosure of drug use on the team. Denying terry the support networks made available to him for violating the drug policy. So yes Saginaw is responsible Dave Branch himself said he was never made aware that Terry was caught smoking pot. My guess is Saginaw didn't tell the league in order to protect the more prominent players involved in the Owen Sound incident. Also league policy on firs time offence for smoking pot is only a written warning not suspension unless it's second time offence. Saginaw is guilty of many things here people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad