Tell me why Nashville shouldn't be viewed as the Cup favorite

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
They are. The Penguins haven't been great. Flower is the reason they're alive. People who have watched both teams would pick the Preds.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
They are. The Penguins haven't been great. Flower is the reason they're alive. People who have watched both teams would pick the Preds.

Exactly. I find those people who are still picking the pens to beat Preds are all east coast fans that have barely seen the western playoffs at all much less Preds games.

At this point I think that the Senz have a legitimate shot to beat them, and I would even pick Anaheim to beat the Pens if they somehow came out of the Preds series but at this point, Preds are the favorites because they are simply playing the best hockey of all the teams. And frankly, INEC.

Ps. Habs were idiots to trade Subban, wow has he picked up his game in the playoffs. I was never the biggest Subban fan but he is a perfect fit on that D and is clearly a guy that knows when to elevate his game.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This Nashville team reminds me of the 2012 LA Kings.

A team nobody expected to be a contender riding a ridiculously hot goaltender with the right defensive game/structure in place to make the most of it.

If they do win it all this year Rinne's taking home the Conn Smythe ala Jonathan Quick in '12.

Everyone expected the Kings to be a contender that summer after they traded for Richards. It took them a while to get it together but then they hired Sutter and traded for Carter.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Exactly. I find those people who are still picking the pens to beat Preds are all east coast fans that have barely seen the western playoffs at all much less Preds games.

At this point I think that the Senz have a legitimate shot to beat them, and I would even pick Anaheim to beat the Pens if they somehow came out of the Preds series but at this point, Preds are the favorites because they are simply playing the best hockey of all the teams. And frankly, INEC.

Ps. Habs were idiots to trade Subban, wow has he picked up his game in the playoffs. I was never the biggest Subban fan but he is a perfect fit on that D and is clearly a guy that knows when to elevate his game.

Yeah I would also put the Ducks ahead of Pit. Leaning towards a West team winning this year.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I think they are at this point. The media isn't going to come out and say it, but I think that most who've closely watched the playoffs would say they're the favorites.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
They've been pretty impressive so far this Spring. Holding Chicago to 3 goals is no easy feat. Scoring 13 against the Hawks defense is rather impressive as well.

The Blues tried to out muscle them and that didn't work.

So far they showed a lot of poise in their first two games in Anaheim.

I think they could go all the way.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
To answer the OP: Because "favorites" are determined by the public at large -- just like betting odds -- and do not necessarily reflect the true likelihood of an event occurring. It's not like it's a designation that is bestowed after a passion-free deliberation of hockey experts who consult a set of irrefutable, proven statistics.

Plus, when you have the reigning champion still in the picture, you're always going to have a large number of "to be the best you have to beat the best" people siding with the known (in the context of the SCF) commodity.

Is that right or wrong this year? I dunno. Speaking of the Pens, I look at them without Letang and figure they wouldn't be the favorite against that Nashville D, but then I look at the playoff stats of the Nashville forwards, and I'm not exactly overwhelmed. So who knows, and really, who cares. What does being the "favorites" really matter, anyway?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
To answer the OP: Because "favorites" are determined by the public at large -- just like betting odds -- and do not necessarily reflect the true likelihood of an event occurring. It's not like it's a designation that is bestowed after a passion-free deliberation of hockey experts who consult a set of irrefutable, proven statistics.

Plus, when you have the reigning champion still in the picture, you're always going to have a large number of "to be the best you have to beat the best" people siding with the known (in the context of the SCF) commodity.

Is that right or wrong this year? I dunno. Speaking of the Pens, I look at them without Letang and figure they wouldn't be the favorite against that Nashville D, but then I look at the playoff stats of the Nashville forwards, and I'm not exactly overwhelmed. So who knows, and really, who cares. What does being the "favorites" really matter, anyway?

A lot of people say this about the Preds forwards- I get that and I know we probably do need some more production for the 2nd and 3rd lines.

But I do think a big reason for the forward stats is that we DO get such great offensive production from our D. I mean, something has to give. Assuming our D does their normal thing, if our forwards are also putting up big numbers we would have to be scoring 5 or 6 goals per game, and that is not going to happen in the playoffs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
didn't they come into the playoffs with the worst last 25 games of the season or something of all playoff teams?

Not to mention up against chicago.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pittsburgh and Nashville should be fun to watch. Crosby and Malkin vs Nashville's defense will be epic to watch.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They should be.

Against a healthy PIT maybe not, but I think this mobile D core can match up against PIT's forwards, and I think NSH forwards can do enough damage to PIT's D.

The only wild card in my mind is Rinne vs Fleury, because both are out-performing expectations. And maybe they both do until the very end, maybe they both regress, or maybe only on of them does...

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
It makes no sense why anyone is picking an injury riddled Pens team struggling against all opponents vs a team steamrolling the competition. Is anyone watching these playoffs? Even if you hate advanced stats the eye test draws the same conclusions.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looks like they'll be making the cup finals now. They can definitely beat the Senators, but I'm pretty confident going into the series if the Penguins make it. The difference between Crosby and Malkin vs Fisher and Jarnkrok (assuming Fisher is healthy) is just too much. The Predators have a much better defense than the Penguins, but that's not as big as the difference between the two down the middle.

Hopefully Arvidsson is okay, he's a great player.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Looks like they'll be making the cup finals now. They can definitely beat the Senators, but I'm pretty confident going into the series if the Penguins make it. The difference between Crosby and Malkin vs Fisher and Jarnkrok (assuming Fisher is healthy) is just too much. The Predators have a much better defense than the Penguins, but that's not as big as the difference between the two down the middle.

Hopefully Arvidsson is okay, he's a great player.

Goaltending is a tie based on Rinne's play. Pens forwards are much better. Preds d is much better. Does a good offence beat a good defence?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Would be a good final. Injured C with good D vs injured D with good C, and 2 great goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad