Tell me why Nashville shouldn't be viewed as the Cup favorite

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
-Good regular season numbers
-Easily the most impressive playoff team

I know they're a small market but they're playing unreal hockey right now, they deserve more attention.

in season:
5th in CF%
8th in xGF%

playoffs:
2nd in CF%
2nd in xGF%

Bodes well for historic Cup winners

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If Crosby is out long term they probably are the favorite at this point

No, that would make Washington the favourite. If Washington can get past Pittsburgh curse, they can beat any team remaining. Too deep.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Just about all your offense is coming from you defenseman, not a problem if you think they can keep it up for two more series

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They were a low seed, and it's a small sample size in the playoffs.

And they do get a lot of credit after sweeping the Hawks. And now leading 3-1, for sure they will get more and more credit.

And a lot of people have been picking them for a while now.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Because they were 8th in the West. This could all just be a fluke. No matter who they play they will be the road team in every round.

But I digress, if I were a betting man I would have put it all on Nashville after they swept Chicago. They have unbelievable momentum right now. Laviolette is a playoff monster.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
No, that would make Washington the favourite. If Washington can get past Pittsburgh curse, they can beat any team remaining. Too deep.

Sorry Washington has not shown anything to suggest they will win the Cup so far could even see Rangers giving them a run for it if they beat Pittsburgh

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The offense. Not on par with its defense and goaltending.

Actually I may be in the minority, but even then a lot of Preds and even non-Preds fans agree with me that offense is actually the Preds strong point. In the regular season although we had a top 10 defensive team, our forwards defensive play was more in the middle, and our defenseman were mostly offensive minded. Goaltending was also suspect. When your defense is the most mobile and scores hte most in the league and your top 9 is full of deadly offensive players, your offense is your defense. Blues have actually been the better defensive team especially in their own zone this series, but Preds have been extremely dangerous offensively that the better defense means nothing in the end. Blues offense is very subpar and thus the Preds barely need to play well in their own zone to prevent chances. But when the Blues offense is on, you can clearly tell the Preds have struggled in their own zone, more so than the Blues struggling in theirs when the Preds offense is pumped with steroids.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Just about all your offense is coming from you defenseman, not a problem if you think they can keep it up for two more series

They've kept up a good amount of offense all season. If teams continue to allow them to generate chances I don't see why they can't continue to produce. If they begin to take away the blue line them our forwards have some fire power to them.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Rinne can go from the way he's playing now to unplayable at the snap of your fingers. Whether he will, I don't know but if he does, we're not winning.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
if Crosby is out long-term they should be viewed as the favourites as much as the Caps

at this point it's about avoiding injuries for all the top teams

I still don't trust Rinne, that's still my biggest issue. I love the way he handles the puck and you can't argue against his stats this post-season but meh

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Washington didn't even look like a Cup favourite against Toronto. Whether they get by Pittsburgh or not, I think Nashville is the favourite, including in a scenario where they play Pittsburgh if Crosby is out.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
in season:
5th in CF%
8th in xGF%

playoffs:
2nd in CF%
2nd in xGF%

also bodes well for historic Cup winners. They are easily the most impressive team this postseason.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
They are. They were before the season began after they got Subban as well, but the reg. season didn't go as expected. Who cares though, they're bringing it at the right time.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Washington didn't even look like a Cup favourite against Toronto. Whether they get by Pittsburgh or not, I think Nashville is the favourite, including in a scenario where they play Pittsburgh if Crosby is out.

People just underestimated how good Toronto was so it's not a surprise that Toronto gave them a good fight. They played like a ~100 point team outside of a lousy October with Andersen returning from injury and 7-8 rookies making their debut. That's top 10 in the league.

Nashville is a good choice to come out of the West right now but Washington has laid waste to Pittsburgh possesion wise and the only reason they find themselves behind is Fleury playing unbelievably well. Holtby is picking up his game now and they have the depth to win against Pittsburgh, especially if Crosby is out long term.

I can see Washington winning three straight right now with Crosby out and wrapping up the series in 6, comfortably beating either one of Ottawa/NY. Nashville will find it tough against Anaheim or Edmonton IMO. Both teams playing well and have much better centres than St Louis.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
The lack of offense (specifically from their forwards) this series should temper expectations.

Beating Chicago was great, but may not have been as big of a feat as attributed.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Rinne isn't good enough, hot streaks don't change that lots of weak goalies have hot streaks.
Offense isn't deep enough, bottom six lack talent.
Chicago got old and overrated and St Louis aren't very good for a playoff team.
Teams that place in the bottom 3 of the conference almost never win. Yes LA kings happened one time and so did the 300 million dollar lotto winner.
They're inferior to the Ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad