OT: Teh Philadelphia Severty Sixers: Let’s Keep Doing This For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy -Draft Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Raptors could lose all 3 of Gasol, Freddy and Serge. Plus might cut Terence Davis. They might not be a playoff team this year.
tenor.gif

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Dwight was legit good last year. It’s just not what I expected.

I lost who tweeted this but I saved the tweet:

“Dwight Howard’s block percentage was just 1% lower than that of Myles Turner, who led the NBA in blocks per game this past season. Howard played nearly 10 minutes fewer per game than Turner did. Made efficient use of his playing time in LA.”

Reactions: Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So this is what it looks like to have a legit, smart, sports executive running a team. The Sixers went from being a dumpster fire when their bubble ended, to getting Doc Rivers and Daryl Morey. In just a short time you have seen the impact Morey has had, Rivers will have a similar impact on the players from a coaching standpoint. I also can't imagine Morey won't add another player or two of significance.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Okc is hilarious. Every 3 years they're gutting their team for draft picks a year after taking a step forward

OKC can't get FAs to come there and struggles to resign their own players, so this is actually the right strategy, draft a lot of high upside guys, resign them early, let them peak there, then use a sign and trade to extract value as they depart. Rinse and repeat.

With young, athletic teams that have great depth, find a coach that loves an up tempo style and run opponents into the floor.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
OKC can't get FAs to come there and struggles to resign their own players, so this is actually the right strategy, draft a lot of high upside guys, resign them early, let them peak there, then use a sign and trade to extract value as they depart. Rinse and repeat.

With young, athletic teams that have great depth, find a coach that loves an up tempo style and run opponents into the floor.
I mean I didn't say it was wrong, just that it's hilariously predictable. They're perpetually "on the cusp"

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wood demonstrates a dilemma with young players in the NBA, he took four seasons to put it together and become more than a fringe roster player - so how many spots can you reserve for "slow learners?" And how do you identify the ones that will finally become players.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Wood demonstrates a dilemma with young players in the NBA, he took four seasons to put it together and become more than a fringe roster player - so how many spots can you reserve for "slow learners?" And how do you identify the ones that will finally become players.
The NBA has the largest learning curve of any of the major sports. Most players are slow learners by that standard.
Most players begin to peak around age 27 or so and team development concepts have to be aware of this.
Wood has looked like a good NBA player for years. Many Sixer fans wanted him signed when he was with us.
Wood's a casualty of the Curryball era where teams devalue bigs.
Its just harder to be an impact player as a big. You have to be competent both ways.
Which is why Okafor's been one of the worst players in the NBA since he entered.
Which is why Wood had to prove he was more than a shot blocker to get the minutes he deserved.

People also still cling to draft position and PPG averages because those pop off a scouting report i guess.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Okafor's problem is/was he wasn't competent either way. He's just as terrible on offensive as he is on defense. When your NCAA team scores better with Plumlee on the court that's a major red flag that his fans swept under the rug. Undersized, unathletic, can't rebound, no left hand, can't stretch the floor, doesn't pass the ball. If it wasn't for his pre NBA pedigree he would be playing in China right now lol. He played in a Duke system that also made Shelden Williams a top 5 pick.

Reactions: Carter Hart

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Okeafor just came along too late, but he was also plagued by a mediocre work ethic and then the knee injury was the coup de grace.
However, it's not like Noel has had a spectacular NBA career.
Maybe, Embiid being the outlier, centers are obsolete.

It may well be if Simmons ends up at 6'11 and adds another 10 lbs of muscle, that he's the ideal center in a few years.
And that the ideal front court are 3 guys from 6'8 to 6'11 who run like gazelles and can jump through the ceiling and switch off defensively without a hitch, though at least one has to be a dead eye 3 point shooter to space the floor on offense.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wood was like the best player in Summer League one year. A shame the Sixers couldn’t have taken advantage of having him as a backup big in say 2019.

I would love to know how that 2015 draft played out. I refuse to believe Hinkie believed Okafor was BPA. Everything pointed to him being a horrible fit, both for the Sixers and the modern NBA. He either took him with the intention of flipping him at the first opportunity or someone from above stepped in and made the pick.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
The sixers have enough money to sign a backup PF or backup PG. which position takes precedence and who are the potential targets? I think I would go PF since I don’t want mike Scott playing major minutes

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can play Simmons at PF, and even move Howard over for a few minutes.
I'd like to see a SF, Thybelle 6'5, Milton 6'5, Smith 6'3, Curry 6'2, Green 6'6, Ferguson 6'6.
Like to have someone 6'7 -6'8 with more quicks than Harris to matchup against scoring SFs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
PFs are not really a thing anymore. You’re either a big or a wing. They need another ball handler. Right now it’s just Simmons, Shake, and Maxey and those guys aren’t really traditional PGs to begin with.

Rumor was they were interested in Augustin but he just signed a three year deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Burke got 3yr/$9+M from Dallas, Burks got 1yr/$6M, WTF!

At some point you're just better off to scour the G-league for the next McConnell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad