OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers are here to Shake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I don't want to get better. I want to field a team that is going to win a championship. I like harris a lot, always have but he is a guy that is seriously deficient on the defensive side and doesn't do much out side of scoring which he does well. Imo getting a top 5 draft pick on a rookie deal is far more valuable than tobias harris. Now factor in we just lost an emerging contributor in Shamet as well and another one of our first rounders and you can see how we have just completely compromised the future of this team going forward. By doing that you say to yourself this team is ready to compete for a championship and when i look at this roster there are far to many holes to confidently say that.

We have seen teams win championships when they acquire young talent and assets and then trade that talent for a title run. Boston being a great example, as well as lakers and Cavs. Boston got ray allen and garnett from al jefferson jeff green gerald green and two first round picks. Lakers got pau gasol for marc gasol and 2 first.

We have traded cov saric 2 first round picks shamet for Tobias harris and Jimmy Butler. We aren't getting the studs other teams have gotten. We are getting free agents that are no longer all stars.
But wait youre the guy that told me shooting is the most important skill in basketball. That guys dont get paid to play defense and pass.
Why hate on Tobias then? He's one of the best shooters/scorers in the game and will be getting more open looks here than he's gotten in his life.
And he's 26 and has improved every year so very likely he hasnt played his best ball yet.

Oh wait, I know. He's not a well-known name on a popular team like i dont know, Lonzo Ball when he was at UCLA, he's not an easy stan so you cant get behind him.

Kemba Walker is starting the East All Stars. Tobias has been better this season than Kemba's ever been.
What does the mid-season All Star designation have to do with the actual impact of a guy on the court?

The Sixers did what the Phillies should have done with Machado at the deadline last year.
Get the man you want longterm and bank on your organization selling itself to that guy every day he shows up for work.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
But wait youre the guy that told me shooting is the most important skill in basketball. That guys dont get paid to play defense and pass.
Why hate on Tobias then? He's one of the best shooters/scorers in the game and will be getting more open looks here than he's gotten in his life.
And he's 26 and has improved every year so very likely he hasnt played his best ball yet.

Oh wait, I know. He's not a well-known name on a popular team like i dont know, Lonzo Ball when he was at UCLA, he's not an easy stan so you cant get behind him.

Kemba Walker is starting the East All Stars. Tobias has been better this season than Kemba's ever been.
What does the mid-season All Star designation have to do with the actual impact of a guy on the court?

The Sixers did what the Phillies should have done with Machado at the deadline last year.
Get the man you want longterm and bank on your organization selling itself to that guy every day he shows up for work.

I like tobias, i have made that clear. But he is a FA. I much rather have used a collection of assets to go after anthony davis or someone of that ilk. Meanwhile we just gave the clips the assets to get Davis.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Given everything going on in the league and everything that happened last summer, my biggest takeaway from this is that the Sixers feel like the biggest FAs are simply going to LA and NYC if they're leaving their current teams.
This has gotta be it.
I think not even getting a face to face meeting with LeBron last summer despite having the best competitive advantage must have been a eye opener.
Klay/KD arent leaving. Cousins is unnecessary. Kawhi wont leave TO to come to Philly. AD wants LA and the price would be too steep.
Jerry West wouldnt have let Tobias walk if he was GM of Indiana. Only the Nets, Knicks, Lakers, Clips can bank on building a team that way.

Now best case scenario youve got the Bird Rights of 4 guys who are capable of max play which gives you a lot more flexibility as you enter the luxury tax zone.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
As this day as moved on, the more this smells like Harris is sticking around a Jimmy is a 50/50

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Given everything going on in the league and everything that happened last summer, my biggest takeaway from this is that the Sixers feel like the biggest FAs are simply going to LA and NYC if they're leaving their current teams.

I do think it was a little heavy on the Harris return, but if you're confident he re-signs, he's a perfect fit and those don't come around very often, especially given how narrow your profile is to bridge the fit clash between your two stars.

I would still put out feelers for davis. And if he was interested in signing long term i do an embiid davis swap without hesitation.

We will never be FA players, and we have never been. Have to resign harris and then hope you can win with a nucleus of simmons, embiid and harris going forward, but that is just wishful thinking.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I like tobias, i have made that clear. But he is a FA. I much rather have used a collection of assets to go after anthony davis or someone of that ilk. Meanwhile we just gave the clips the assets to get Davis.
In what reality though? In what world is a package highlighted by Shamet and the MIA 1st better than what BOS could offer this summer?
Tatum + a 2nd is worth more than that.

Make a deal that beats BOS's, then you have an argument.
And then you have to remember the deal at the deadline would have to be so good NO would be willing to forgo talks with Ainge in the summer to sign off on it.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
In what reality though? In what world is a package highlighted by Shamet and the MIA 1st better than what BOS could offer this summer?
Tatum + a 2nd is worth more than that.

Make a deal that beats BOS's, then you have an argument.
And then you have to remember the deal at the deadline would have to be so good NO would be willing to forgo talks with Ainge in the summer to sign off on it.

embiid straight up for davis. beats any package there is.

then throw whatever you have at kawhi. A trio of simmons kahwi and davis even for just a half of a season would get us a better chance to win a championship than any other roster you could potentially put together over the next 5 years.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This has gotta be it.
I think not even getting a face to face meeting with LeBron last summer despite having the best competitive advantage must have been a eye opener.
Klay/KD arent leaving. Cousins is unnecessary. Kawhi wont leave TO to come to Philly. AD wants LA and the price would be too steep.
Jerry West wouldnt have let Tobias walk if he was GM of Indiana. Only the Nets, Knicks, Lakers, Clips can bank on building a team that way.

Now best case scenario youve got the Bird Rights of 4 guys who are capable of max play which gives you a lot more flexibility as you enter the luxury tax zone.

You are 1oo percent correct. Harris / Colangelo/ Brown overplayed their hand big time in thinking that they could attract a FA to this area. It has never been a destination for premier basketball players and never will be. Hinkie knew the only way to get studs to this team were through the draft or trade. So he did his best to up the odds at doing that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

then throw whatever you have at kawhi. A trio of simmons kahwi and davis even for just a half of a season would get us a better chance to win a championship than any other roster you could potentially put together over the next 5 years.

You're going to trade Embiid to call Rich Paul's bluff?

Most of the time PR is what you make of it, but this franchise cannot trade Embiid. You have a true superstar who wants to be exactly where he is. That's not realistic. Same with Giannis moving.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You're going to trade Embiid to call Rich Paul's bluff?

Most of the time PR is what you make of it, but this franchise cannot trade Embiid. You have a true superstar who wants to be exactly where he is. That's not realistic. Same with Giannis moving.

like i said i would put out feelers to see if he would extend here , if so i make that trade if not of course i would keep embiid.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This has gotta be it.

It really does. LeBron chose nothing of consequence over a legit contending quality core. If you don't learn from that, I don't know how to help you.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013

This isnt 2k. You dont trade Embiid for Davis in reality. Jo is a better player anyway.

Basically your plan is trade the best big in the league for the 2nd best.
Then pray Kawhi develops an addiction to cheesesteaks and its roll out the banners.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This isnt 2k. You dont trade Embiid for Davis in reality. Jo is a better player anyway.

Basically your plan is trade the best big in the league for the 2nd best.
Then pray Kawhi develops an addiction to cheesesteaks and its roll out the banners.

In what ways is embiid better than davis? No what i am saying is that tobias and jimmy can walk this year. So if you're going to go for broke go for broke with a legit stud like kawhi. A trio of kawhi , simmons, and davis could win you a championship this year even against the warriors. That is how good that trio would be

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Better the Clips than the Lakers with LeBron or the Celtics. Go ahead, let LAC get Davis. That doesn't impact the Sixers and doesn't present another big team we have to go through to win a title. If we can get Harris and Butler signed this offseason, and given we can offer more money and term than others while still playing on a championship level team, why wouldn't they sign, the Sixers just established themselves as a main championship contender in the East for the next 4-5 years. And then give these guys a little time to figure out their roles, and they're going to be dominant once it all gels.

Reactions: Ruck Over

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
  • i think they absolutely have to re-sign Harris to make this look better..Jimmy i am not sold on as a fit for the team..plus i think he has aspirations to play in a big market cause he thinks he is a super star

Reactions: Jtown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It's a flyer that makes a little sense for zero cost. He's got some talent.

(He's also not good and should never see the floor. Ever.)

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I think you're out to lunch JTown. Fretting that the Sixers made themselves better, have 4 players that could be considered in the top 30 (one top 7, one top 12, one top 17, & Harris), with all but Butler having a reasonable expectation of improving seems premature for disaster. The Sixers trading a mystery box of a Miami 2021 wasn't going to help this team soon. You'd be into the first year of Simmons 2nd contract by then, and have two years remaining on Embiid's deal. Plus whatever other moving parts were shuffled around, likely a max Butler (this is a pre-trade scenario). That's a lot to gamble to keep players that "will probably leave after their 2nd contracts." Is a top 5 draft player (if the draft pick were to convey that high) going to convince Embiid to stick around after his next two years? Or will a massive front 4 keep the winning and him happier?

C'mon man. Shamet was a good young player, with appears to be potential at becoming a solid player, or supersub bench player. He's not the reason you don't acquire Harris (plus Harris should be able to replace his volume 3pt shooting).

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Looking at the heat maps for each starter, Harris really is exactly what we needed.

I would've thought Jimmy to be a bit more diverse and spread around. I get the high finish rates at the rim, but I thought of him a bit more Derozan like with mid range jumpers.

Fly the new 6ers in today, practice/walk-through tomorrow morning, maybe tonite, and watch some good unorganized school-yard ball tomorrow night. Enjoyable indeed.

Reactions: Here4ThaList
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad