OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers are here to Shake

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Still trying to process all of this... it all sounds amazing on paper but their bench is still clearly incomplete. Still gotta wait and see how the rest of the deadline unfolds and who hits the buyout market. I really am gonna miss Landry, not gonna lie.

Also, one thing that's really gone under the radar here: Give Brand credit for keeping all this under wraps. For all the trade rumors flying around, there was no indication that the Sixers were in on Harris (much like the Butler deal), or that the Clippers were even actively shopping him. If they are planning to be in on AD, it makes sense though.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Their bench is what now?

TJ
Scott
Bolden
Korkmaz
Amir

You got Fultz/Smith/Patton who are either hurt or recovering.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Their bench is what now?

TJ
Scott
Bolden
Korkmaz
Amir

You got Fultz/Smith/Patton who are either hurt or recovering.

Plus Boban.

Any chance Smith is back this year?

They will probably add 1 or 2 more pieces to the bench.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Kinda lost in all of this trade stuff, Sixers get a bit more international again. The Sixers as a model UN is a good thing, moar plz.

Butler trade saw us lose a Euro
Muscala trade saw us lose a Euro
Harris trade saw us GAIN a Euro

Now, we bring one in and the potential comedy gold between Joel and Boban is next level, everyone stop watching basketball, actually, fold the NBA, these guys need to find a comedy troupe like SCTV, Up Right Citizens Brigade, Monty Python, or FunnyorDie.

On a less serious note, Boban is also a UFA at the end of the year. Pending this audition, I'd love for the Sixers to be able to resign him. Embiid needs a decent back-up. Not earth shattering, but X > Amir Johnson.

With expiring contracts of Mike Scott ($4.3m) and Amir Johnson ($1.5m), how much of a raise does Boban expect coming off $7m? There's roughly a $1.2m gap there as is. (Korkmaz is prolly the missing money conceptually, I forgot about him, just as the Sixers have done.) This also allows Bolden to play more 4/5 in the deeper reserve role attuned to his current talent level. Which is something he can take the time to improve in. Bolden flashes great, but consistency isn't there, and with the Sixers being so competitive so soon, I'm not sure I want to wait on him.

And about Shamet, does his trade imply the Sixers may be higher on Shake Milton than I first thought? Not like the two are interchangeable currently for the value fo the trade. But internally, do the Sixers see Milton filling the same spot? Korkmaz has been passed over, : (. Or has he? Yes, : (.
And TJ, should be the 13th guy on the roster, FOREVER. Spirit Animal

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
the past 17 games Simmons has averaged 3.76 turnovers a game. If that is the case, simmons is even more problematic than I initially thought.

It's not a ton of Minutes. I'm just saying they think that's an angle worth pursuing in bursts.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's not a ton of Minutes. I'm just saying they think that's an angle worth pursuing in bursts.

then thats poor coaching or trying to appease ben. Ben does a lot of good things , running half court offense is not one of them. If he just focused on getting o boards he could actually contribute.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
i dont know much about the NBA.

is this a good trade.

Based on stats this Tobias guy seems like a good player who can be a piece for a long while.

on another matter

as i said I don't know jack but I don;t like Simmons as the point guard. I'd go with embiid, tobias, simmons front guard
butler and reddick in the backcourt.

but again i know jack so don't get angry at me if its a bad idea

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Now, we bring one in and the potential comedy gold between Joel and Boban is next level, everyone stop watching basketball, actually, fold the NBA, these guys need to find a comedy troupe like SCTV, Up Right Citizens Brigade, Monty Python, or FunnyorDie.

Well, Boban and Harris already have their own show. Expect guest appearances by Joel and probably TJ now.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Starting (not necessarily, but pieces fit)
1 Simmons
2 JJ
3 Butler
4 Harris
5 Embiid

Subs
6 Boban
7 Scott
8 Bolden
9 TJ
10 Korkmaz
11 Amir

Inactives/Hurt/Recovering
12 Patton
13 Fultz
14 Smith
15 Milton
16 ? (where did Corey Brewer find space) 10-day contract

The roster is full, waives/buy-outs need to accompany any new additions. This looks like the end of the road for Amir. Patton is a UFA after this year, his option declined just like Korkmaz, so the two of them are buy-out fodder as well.
That's three guys who are easily replaced if better options come along, and are all cheap enough that a buy-out shouldn't be crippling if the new guy isn't so greedy. There's also the empty spot for a 10-day contract, correct? The Sixers bench is still booty, but now that there's a big booty (Boban) hopefully Joel can rest and remain fresher during games, both in the ones that matter, and those that don't.
Boban and Bolden give me more confidence in the bench bigs than any combination of Muscala/Chandler/Amir.

Small chance Smith comes back this season and contributes a warm body.

There's a path to success here. Moreso right now, than just 24 hours previously.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i dont know much about the NBA.

is this a good trade.

Based on stats this Tobias guy seems like a good player who can be a piece for a long while.

on another matter

as i said I don't know jack but I don;t like Simmons as the point guard. I'd go with embiid, tobias, simmons front guard
butler and reddick in the backcourt.

but again i know jack so don't get angry at me if its a bad idea

tobias is a very good player, and young too. Problem is that he is not a good defender and he is a FA. Another Problem is that we gave up some very valuable assets that would provide us some flex ability going forward. Another problem with this deal is that it signifies that we are in win now mode, and there isn't a team in the nba that is on par with the Warriors. At best we can finish 2nd in the nba. Next year I thought would be the year to go for it since Klay Thompson and Durant's Free Agency could weaken the warriors, as well as boogie cousins inevitable absence. Even if the Lakers load up next year they still will not contend with this era of warriors team which is historically great.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
On the flip side, you gotta try eventually. Embiid won't be this good forever. You gotta take your shots, Golden State doesn't looks as formidable right now. The Sixers starting 5 should be really good and should go toe to toe with the Warriors starting 5. Boogie won't be able to lock down Embiid and Draymond couldn't stop Ben to save his life last time.

That leaves Durant/Klay/Steph on Jimmy/Tobias/JJ.

Those 3 guys are offensive HOFers. How are they are on D?

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
tobias is a very good player, and young too. Problem is that he is not a good defender and he is a FA. Another Problem is that we gave up some very valuable assets that would provide us some flex ability going forward. Another problem with this deal is that it signifies that we are in win now mode, and there isn't a team in the nba that is on par with the Warriors. At best we can finish 2nd in the nba. Next year I thought would be the year to go for it since Klay Thompson and Durant's Free Agency could weaken the warriors, as well as boogie cousins inevitable absence. Even if the Lakers load up next year they still will not contend with this era of warriors team which is historically great.
There's a chance Boston, stockpiling assets and thinking they have all the answers, will be left in the dust. They have a pending FA whom may be leaving, devauling asset in the Sacramento pick, and Tatum and Brown have come back down to Earth with a non-fitting Hayward just there. Horford is also, how to say, old; not decrepid, yet not spry.

If the Sixers just keep waiting for something to happen in the future, it will likely not come to fruition, or the landscape will change to turn the once thought benefit into a null.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
On the flip side, you gotta try eventually. Embiid won't be this good forever. You gotta take your shots, Golden State doesn't looks as formidable right now. The Sixers starting 5 should be really good and should go toe to toe with the Warriors starting 5. Boogie won't be able to lock down Embiid and Draymond couldn't stop Ben to save his life last time.

That leaves Durant/Klay/Steph on Jimmy/Tobias/JJ.

Those 3 guys are offensive HOFers. How are they are on D?

right. Try eventually, the assets we gave up are still going to be assets we have next year. But try this year? You want to place a bet on a team other than the warriors winning the championship? Next year is the year to really go for it, for a variety of reasons. The east will weaken with the departures of kyrie and potentially leonard. Milwaukee might come back down to earth. Leaving us as the best team in the East.

Before you put too much stock in that win against the warriors just remember they were without Klay Thompson their 3rd best player. Over the past two years the Warriors have a horrible record when klay Thompson misses games. Having a guy like that stretching the d out and the ability to just hit dagger after dagger is a rare asset.

The weakness we have is JJ. JJ is so vital as pretty much our second option on offense , but is so underwhelming on defense. A younger reddick was competitive on the defensive of end, this version is just overmatched most nights.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There's a chance Boston, stockpiling assets and thinking they have all the answers, will be left in the dust. They have a pending FA whom may be leaving, devauling asset in the Sacramento pick, and Tatum and Brown have come back down to Earth with a non-fitting Hayward just there. Horford is also, how to say, old; not decrepid, yet not spry.

If the Sixers just keep waiting for something to happen in the future, it will likely not come to fruition, or the landscape will change to turn the once thought benefit into a null.

doing something just to do something is better than waiting for the right moment to do something?

The sixers are behind the 8 ball for a lot of reasons in today's nba. The biggest reason is that we are not a premier Free Agent destination In fact the sixers best FA signing in the 2000 has been jj reddick who they had to massively overpay. So knowing that , the only way the sixers are ever going to better themselves is through drafting and trades. If this group fails to win a championship, high probability embiid and ben leave down after their second contracts.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
doing something just to do something is better than waiting for the right moment to do something?

The sixers are behind the 8 ball for a lot of reasons in today's nba. The biggest reason is that we are not a premier Free Agent destination In fact the sixers best FA signing in the 2000 has been jj reddick who they had to massively overpay. So knowing that , the only way the sixers are ever going to better themselves is through drafting and trades. If this group fails to win a championship, high probability embiid and ben leave down after their second contracts.
It's not doing something just to do something. The Sixers are better today, than they were yesterday. You lamented trading of the Miami pick because it makes you less flexible to make a move in the future. What are you waiting for? That pick just got us Tobias Harris.

Of course there is uncertainty about (Butler or) Harris resigning. But that's a risk worth taking. Embiid and Simmons are our rocks, we'll have money to spend one way or another this off-season to buy some fine shrubbery. It was unlikely the Sixers kept that Miami pick to select a player.

Reddick signed to a way unproven team. They also had to pay Johnson $11m that first year. But guess what? The Sixers aren't the same unproven laughing stock they were when JJ and Amir first signed. They're in a different reality currently. They paid JJ $23 last year, and $12.25 this year, averages out to $17.625, which today, would put him at #58 on NBA cap-hit scale, below Evan Turner $17.86 and above Tristan Thompson $17.46. That seems like fair value. And moving into next year, getting to remain close to his family in NYC, shouldering even less of a load potentially, he may take even less again.

But about the Sixers getting better, they just traded for a dude, and they already have the free agents to be in town, with exclusive negotiation access. If it is so difficult for the Sixers to get quality FA to town, it makes sense they get them early, before other teams can compete for attention. They have the cap room, the years of them being below the floor are over. What are they to do with that projected money other than spend it?

Lamenting the loss of Shamet and the Miami 2021 pick is reasonable, but poo-poo'ing the acquisition of Harris is not yet valid. Wait until the off-season, if he walks, then it was very foolhardy to trade for him. But the concoction that Hinkie left, that Colonjello tried to mess up, Brand/Brown are turning into the fruits we only dreamed about at the end of the 2012-13 season. We've come a long way, very fast.

Edit: The staff that selected Shamet is still employed by the Sixers. Maybe they get lucky again and have an archetype they'll look for to replace him.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The "problem" with future picks is you don't know what they'll turn out to be. Boston is seeing that now. That 2019 Kings 1st looked a lot better when the trade was made than it does today. The same thing could happen with that Miami pick. Getting a player like Harris is well worth that risk imo. Obviously it matters a bit if they sign him or not.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's not doing something just to do something. The Sixers are better today, than they were yesterday. You lamented trading of the Miami pick because it makes you less flexible to make a move in the future. What are you waiting for? That pick just got us Tobias Harris.

Of course there is uncertainty about (Butler or) Harris resigning. But that's a risk worth taking. Embiid and Simmons are our rocks, we'll have money to spend one way or another this off-season to buy some fine shrubbery. It was unlikely the Sixers kept that Miami pick to select a player.

Reddick signed to a way unproven team. They also had to pay Johnson $11m that first year. But guess what? The Sixers aren't the same unproven laughing stock they were when JJ and Amir first signed. They're in a different reality currently. They paid JJ $23 last year, and $12.25 this year, averages out to $17.625, which today, would put him at #58 on NBA cap-hit scale, below Evan Turner $17.86 and above Tristan Thompson $17.46. That seems like fair value. And moving into next year, getting to remain close to his family in NYC, shouldering even less of a load potentially, he may take even less again.

But about the Sixers getting better, they just traded for a dude, and they already have the free agents to be in town, with exclusive negotiation access. If it is so difficult for the Sixers to get quality FA to town, it makes sense they get them early, before other teams can compete for attention. They have the cap room, the years of them being below the floor are over. What are they to do with that projected money other than spend it?

Lamenting the loss of Shamet and the Miami 2021 pick is reasonable, but poo-poo'ing the acquisition of Harris is not yet valid. Wait until the off-season, if he walks, then it was very foolhardy to trade for him. But the concoction that Hinkie left, that Colonjello tried to mess up, Brand/Brown are turning into the fruits we only dreamed about at the end of the 2012-13 season. We've come a long way, very fast.

I don't want to get better. I want to field a team that is going to win a championship. I like harris a lot, always have but he is a guy that is seriously deficient on the defensive side and doesn't do much out side of scoring which he does well. Imo getting a top 5 draft pick on a rookie deal is far more valuable than tobias harris. Now factor in we just lost an emerging contributor in Shamet as well and another one of our first rounders and you can see how we have just completely compromised the future of this team going forward. By doing that you say to yourself this team is ready to compete for a championship and when i look at this roster there are far to many holes to confidently say that.

We have seen teams win championships when they acquire young talent and assets and then trade that talent for a title run. Boston being a great example, as well as lakers and Cavs. Boston got ray allen and garnett from al jefferson jeff green gerald green and two first round picks. Lakers got pau gasol for marc gasol and 2 first.

We have traded cov saric 2 first round picks shamet for Tobias harris and Jimmy Butler. We aren't getting the studs other teams have gotten. We are getting free agents that are no longer all stars.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Given everything going on in the league and everything that happened last summer, my biggest takeaway from this is that the Sixers feel like the biggest FAs are simply going to LA and NYC if they're leaving their current teams.

I do think it was a little heavy on the Harris return, but if you're confident he re-signs, he's a perfect fit and those don't come around very often, especially given how narrow your profile is to bridge the fit clash between your two stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad