Teemu's Book (Boudreau comments)

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
It was also well documented that one of the players (from the Ducks duo) was willing to fight it out with civilians in that night club, shouting out threats when the bouncer got involved... He was even named out by eye-witnesses.

Professionalism at it's finest and surely a fitting way to celebrate your non-playoffs season.
Really grasping for straws now

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It was also well documented that one of the players (from the Ducks duo) was willing to fight it out with civilians in that night club, shouting out threats when the bouncer got involved... He was even named out by eye-witnesses.

Professionalism at it's finest and surely a fitting way to celebrate your non-playoffs season.

Those "civilian" Finns probably wouldn't shut up about Vatanen.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Who is "him" (comments regarding him)? Boudreau? Because Teemu made comments basically questioning Getzlaf as a captain. So Getzlaf could easily be pissed at comments about Getzlaf.

"If Boudreau were as bad of a coach..." would only matter if Teemu never said anything bad about Getzlaf.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing I'm taking from Getzlaf's comments. Before, it was easy to dismiss Selanne as being bitter about his decline and blaming Boudreau, it happens all the time. But for Getzlaf to say that Teemu has no idea how many times he's gone to bat for him, it makes me wonder if players didn't agree with Teemu, but were fighting a losing battle.

Then again, Getzlaf could be solely pissed that Teemu questioned his captaincy, which is probably just as likely. But these comments definitely make me wonder, whereas the book excerpts never did.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Really grasping for straws now

There certainly happened something between Getzlaf and some random people at the club but the stories vary from a little fight to an argument. I wouldn't call it well documented event though. Anyhow, that year wasn't Getzlaf's finest hour but he has grown a lot since then. It's stupid to use it against Getzlaf at this point.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There certainly happened something between Getzlaf and some random people at the club but the stories vary from a little fight to an argument. I wouldn't call it well documented event though. Anyhow, that year wasn't Getzlaf's finest hour but he has grown a lot since then. It's stupid to use it against Getzlaf at this point.

No doubt something happened but who cares? Regular people have disagreements in bars all the time and nothing normally comes of it just like nothing came of the situation with Getzy in Finland. If it was something serious the North American media would have caught on and really made a big deal out of it.

He was away on a meaningless tournament and went out on a night where he had no real obligations the next day, big deal.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
would really love to hear teemu sound off on RC, and for that matter would we really rather have RC?...EVERY coach/player/person has there flaws, infact i remember bylsma being a top coach in the NHL not to long ago and how he is is job-less....and guess what, sutter (whom everyone seems to think is the 2nd coming of al arbour) WILL get fired AGAIN....im not taking a side here or trying to back BB as i have my own concerns, but those guys "complaining" about him should and should have focused on there OWN game and not on what the coach is doing.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

What does that have to do with the leader Getzlaf is today?

He did go to bat for Teemu on multiple occasions, but had to pick his battles. As he said, he is the captain of the hockey team, not the captain of just one player, but Teemu wanted to make it all about Teemu, not about the team.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Millionaires are funny.

I know thats not useful :) but really... playboys getting everyyhing they want. Yes they work hard and yes their rare talent says they deserve it.

But business is business. You cant play personal relationship rules and business at the same time.

Sell books. Win games. Earn icetime.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
No doubt something happened but who cares? Regular people have disagreements in bars all the time and nothing normally comes of it just like nothing came of the situation with Getzy in Finland. If it was something serious the North American media would have caught on and really made a big deal out of it.

He was away on a meaningless tournament and went out on a night where he had no real obligations the next day, big deal.

Because when celebrities do it, it's interesting.

Also you have to think about the context here, most Finns take these hockey tournaments seriously. Then some Canadian comes and almost gets into a fight with locals and talks some crap. He's going to be seen as the bad guy in this situation no matter what. And of course local rumor magazines are going to make thing of it which makes it even worse.

Just like I said, it shouldn't be used against Getzlaf at this point.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Also you have to think about the context here, most Finns take these hockey tournaments seriously. Then some Canadian comes and almost gets into a fight with locals and talks some crap. He's going to be seen as the bad guy in this situation no matter what. And of course local rumor magazines are going to make thing of it which makes it even worse.

In Selänne's book there was also the incident that happened in Nagano Olympics 1998.

Finland had won Sweden 2-1 at play-off stage but the more experienced players took a Canadian off-night before that off-day morning and went to celebrate. Finland afterwards lost 4-7 to Russia. Selänne wasn't part of that merry group and was disappointed how some couldn't wait a few days and celebrate after the tournament. They couldn't keep their head together.

Selänne himself hadn't ever boozed during international duty since it takes 3-4 days to recover after heavy drinking. It's a question of professional pride.

Ryan Getzlaf shouted "I'm the captain of Ducks!" at the Circus. "Three minutes and you are all down!". That night of Spring 2012 was reported in every major magazine of Finland. His birthday celebration (before a game day) at night club Tiger didn't get that much press on the other hand.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
In Selänne's book there was also the incident that happened in Nagano Olympics 1998.

Finland had won Sweden 2-1 at play-off stage but the more experienced players took a Canadian off-night before that off-day morning and went to celebrate. Finland afterwards lost 4-7 to Russia. Selänne wasn't part of that merry group and was disappointed how some couldn't wait a few days and celebrate after the tournament. They couldn't keep their head together.

Selänne himself hadn't ever boozed during international duty since it takes 3-4 days to recover after heavy drinking. It's a question of professional pride.

Olympic Games and the World Championships are a huge difference. The Olympics are indeed a matter of pride, as the best of the best are competing for one of the major titles in the hockey universe. The World Championships are a group of players that have either been eliminated in the NHL and don't feel like taking some time off yet and second rate competition. It's not an overly serious competition. For players in our home countries, maybe, but in the grand scheme of things, the World Championships are nothing more than a vacation with some questionable hockey sprinkled in.

Ryan Getzlaf shouted "I'm the captain of Ducks!" at the Circus. "Three minutes and you are all down!". That night of Spring 2012 was reported in every major magazine of Finland. His birthday celebration (before a game day) at night club Tiger didn't get that much press on the other hand.
And that quote ("and ye all be fallen" or whatever it was exactly) was seriously amazing.

Also, there's a pretty vast difference between being actually willing to fight someone and shouting threats.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think what some of the Austrian team did last Olympics was far worse than Getzlaf's incident in Finland. They were 2 days out from competing for the next round when they had their massive binge.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

What the **** does any of this have to do with the subject at hand?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Nothing. It's an attempt to prop Selanne up by knocking Getzlaf down. That's all.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
What the **** does any of this have to do with the subject at hand?

It proves two my favourite ducks are bad guys, both Teemu and Getz. :sarcasm:

Seriously this will get us nowhere, just dissing player to protect another player who also is mocked. Even Ducks leading players ain't perfect, they make mistakes and say things, get over it. Only mistake I see Teemu has ever done with the book is let it to be released so early, and not being able the predict that storm it will make up in socal. Should've published it year from now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad