Ansar Khan: Teemu Pulkkinen waived (claimed by Wild)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Weird question but with Frk and Pulks being picked up off waivers will this effect our conditional picks? If so what round are you thinking?

I found this, I don't know if there's anything else to it...but I don't think we get anything

When teams lose their rights to a first-round draft choice, because that player was not signed to a contract and consequently re-entered the entry draft or became an unrestricted free agent, they are awarded a compensatory draft pick. This selection will be the same numerical choice as the first round draft pick who was not signed, but in the second round. For example, if a team cannot sign the seventh overall first round draft choice, it will receive the seventh pick in the second round of the next draft as compensation.[8]

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 11m11 minutes ago

#mnwild working 5-on-5 now, and Pominville's back on line 2, Pulkkinen line 4. So Boudreau could just be going with Pulkky on the PP

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 11m11 minutes ago

#mnwild working 5-on-5 now, and Pominville's back on line 2, Pulkkinen line 4. So Boudreau could just be going with Pulkky on the PP

Why, so they can watch him one time the puck 10 miles wide of the net?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Bertuzzi would clearly be an upgrade over Miller. I'd not have resigned Helm left Sheahan to centre AA and Vanek. I just saved us $4.5M and made our team better.

No, you haven't.

Little Bert isn't a clear upgrade on Miller. He's likely to be better offensively, but defensively, not a chance. You're rolling the dice, but that's a 400k gambit.

Losing Helm does not make the Red Wings a better team. It would give them more flexibility in terms of cap, but you don't lose a guy like Helm who does what he does and improve your roster. Maybe it lets you make a deal for a guy like Fowler and you improve your D, but then you're making other moves too. Are you still a better team if you're trading Nyquist or Tatar too?

It is a gross oversimplification to just say "Helm bad"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Said it during the pre-season and I'll say it again here.

Little Bert needs to put together a good AHL regular season campaign before I start pining for him to be in Detroit.

4 games in and he has 0 G and 1 A. It's great that he turns up for the playoffs every year, but it's a long season and kid needs to show more over the regular season.

Really like his skill set and versatility, but he needs to be more consistent and more productive.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Little Bert needs to put together a good AHL regular season campaign before I start pining for him to be in Detroit.

I think tying an evaluation of Bertuzzi to a strict production metric might be an inaccurate way to assess his readiness. I don't think Bertuzzi is viewed as a future top 6 forward in the NHL so I think his offensive production, while a relevant consideration, is unlikely to be paramount.

If he has a full season at the 15+ goal 35+ point level in the AHL and demonstrates a broad and competent game while retaining his aggressiveness and physicality, he likely will have demonstrated enough to be put in the hopper to earn a legit spot on the 3rd or 4th (almost certainly 4th) line out of camp.

If he takes a substantial step back this year, or plateaus, it's also likely he will get passed up by some other guys and start trending more Landon Ferraro than AA.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think tying an evaluation of Bertuzzi to a strict production metric might be an inaccurate way to assess his readiness. I don't think Bertuzzi is viewed as a future top 6 forward in the NHL so I think his offensive production, while a relevant consideration, is unlikely to be paramount.

If he has a full season at the 15+ goal 35+ point level in the AHL and demonstrates a broad and competent game while retaining his aggressiveness and physicality, he likely will have demonstrated enough to be put in the hopper to earn a legit spot on the 3rd or 4th (almost certainly 4th) line out of camp.

If he takes a substantial step back this year, or plateaus, it's also likely he will get passed up by some other guys and start trending more Landon Ferraro than AA.

Yeah, I just think he has the offensive skillset to where he should be pushing for a bigger role in GR and also more points.

The way folks were talking about him in the preseason though, passing AA and being a top prospect, he needs better production to justify that type of talk.

He could probably be ok in a 4th line role right now, but I think he can end up a 2nd or 3rd line winger, and guys with that potential need to show more at the AHL level, IMO.

It's early still. He seems to be a slow starter and hot finisher. Which why I think consistency is especially important for him. If you can't be consistent at the AHL level, why would the Wings think you can be at the next level?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Bertuzzi's value as a prospect will ever be valued through his production.

He is a guy in Abdelkader-mold, which has shown better flashes of offensive brilliance than Akader ever.

Bertuzzi will come in at some point, through 4th line duties and then will rise in the team hierarchy. Different path than other TOP9 players like Mantha, who will never fit to 4th line duties and have to be instantly ready for TOP9 role, before promoted.

I don't care less about his AHL regular season point scoring, he has proven year after year he is a great playoff performer when stakes are higher.

He is just one of a kind.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think Bertuzzi's value as a prospect will ever be valued through his production.

He is a guy in Abdelkader-mold, which has shown better flashes of offensive brilliance than Akader ever.

Bertuzzi will come in at some point, through 4th line duties and then will rise in the team hierarchy. Different path than other TOP9 players like Mantha, who will never fit to 4th line duties and have to be instantly ready for TOP9 role, before promoted.

I don't care less about his AHL regular season point scoring, he has proven year after year he is a great playoff performer when stakes are higher.

He is just one of a kind.

Even guys like Joker and Ferraro had productive AHL seasons before they were given a 4th line spot. I don't think another pedestrian regular season and hot postseason is why the Wings are looking for.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Even guys like Joker and Ferraro had productive AHL seasons before they were given a 4th line spot. I don't think another pedestrian regular season and hot postseason is why the Wings are looking for.

Some people are just different. I see Bertuzzi as that kind of guy. His production means nothing. There's players who have huge production in AHL and never pan out in NHL. Bertuzzi is exact opposite. He is a role player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some people are just different. I see Bertuzzi as that kind of guy. His production means nothing. There's players who have huge production in AHL and never pan out in NHL. Bertuzzi is exact opposite. He is a role player.

Maybe... but there's not really much of a track record of the Wings operating this way to support this.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Poor Pulkkinen, he's so uncared for by Wings fans that even his farewell thread turned into a thread about a better prospect.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Said it during the pre-season and I'll say it again here.

4 games in and he has 0 G and 1 A. It's great that he turns up for the playoffs every year, but it's a long season and kid needs to show more over the regular season.

Really like his skill set and versatility, but he needs to be more consistent and more productive.
Goal and an assist tonight so far. I think he'll be okay.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, our boy Pookie is having a rough time getting ice on the Wild. Only about 7-8 minutes a game. He has 1 goal in 5 games and only 3 shots.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Well, our boy Pookie is having a rough time getting ice on the Wild. Only about 7-8 minutes a game. He has 1 goal in 5 games and only 3 shots.

Its almost like everyone overreacted about losing the 16-17th best forward in the system. Detroit can probably pick him up on waivers in a few weeks if they really want him/had room for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad