Waived: Teemu Pulkkinen (Assigned to Iowa)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Suter,Parise,Prosser. Who will be the last one to retire as a Wild player? My money is on Prosser.

$650kx8 deal for Prosser after the season, signing bonus of a new popcorn machine and margarita's in the pressbox? :sarcasm:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who takes his spot though? The 4th line would be Dalpe-Ek-?

Or am I missing someone obvious?

I know his value isn't on the 4th line, and yeah, not really room in the top 9 with everyone healthy.

Russo on KFAN this evening suggested that Ek may move to wing and get a shot with Granlund/Koivu when Haula comes back.

Pure speculation on his part, but worth a try.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Because we picked him off of waivers from Detroit, they get first crack at getting him back, and can then assign him to Grand Rapids, as though he passed through waivers, right?

If that's the case, I won't be surprised if they reclaim him.

I'm not 100% sure what he means by swapping, but to answer baghead's question, it doesn't sound like Detroit has first crack at Pulkkinen.

Sounds like you were right, baghead. Detroit DOES have first crack at reclaiming Pulkkinen.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Definitely will help improve the Iowa team. I remember a few years back when some people were suguesting trading Spurge for this guy. Good thing that never happened.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Buy Pulkkinen out of his contract and let him go to KHL / NLA / SHL.
Bigger European ice fits him better than NHL ice.

He scored 61 points in 46 games last season for Grand Rapids. I don't see any reason why Fletcher wouldn't want him helping out Iowa.

A buyout makes very little sense.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Definitely will help improve the Iowa team. I remember a few years back when some people were suguesting trading Spurge for this guy. Good thing that never happened.

Taken out of context; you forgot the key part to those trade proposals (Nyquist). At the time Pulkkinen was lighting the AHL on fire and Nyquist was in the midst of a 27 goal season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Hate to argue, but again, context. Spurgeon was entering the last year of his deal and wasn't re-signed yet. At the time, it seemed like we may be trading him to a team as a rental. It made sense that we would be looking for a young scorer at RW or C positions.

But I do agree with your sentiment, I'm quite glad we've still got Spurgeon. It's also a good reminder that trading for prospects is very risky. Some turn out to be gold, others are just fools gold.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Hate to argue, but again, context. Spurgeon was entering the last year of his deal and wasn't re-signed yet. At the time, it seemed like we may be trading him to a team as a rental. It made sense that we would be looking for a young scorer at RW or C positions.

But I do agree with your sentiment, I'm quite glad we've still got Spurgeon. It's also a good reminder that trading for prospects is very risky. Some turn out to be gold, others are just fools gold.

Trading him to another team wouldn't have been as a rental though because he still had RFA status.

But yeah, really shows what a risk trading proven players for prospects with potential can be.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Good to see Pulkkinen doing well in Iowa.

Also, those white Iowa Wild sweaters are still so sexy. I love our current whites, but I would have been just as happy to get a white version of our current greens as our away sweaters.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if there is any way for him to make it in the NHL? Time is running out for him.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I wonder if there is any way for him to make it in the NHL? Time is running out for him.

Hard to say exactly what the problem is with him. He's not that weak or slow that he shouldn't be able to find some way to be effective in the big league. I think it's mostly mental and he's probably trying to do things that gets him in the lineup or keeps him there rather than focusing on playing hockey with his strengths.

I do hope something clicks for him and he's able to put the pieces together. The element he would add to the team is such an extra special one.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
I don't get it. Do wild have a weapon like pulks on the pp? No? Why not try it then? He ain't that bad of a player...

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
I see a couple of things happening to pulks in the next 1-2 years. Either he plays in switzerland or KHl. Or he puts 30goals in 50 games in the nhl.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I don't get it. Do wild have a weapon like pulks on the pp? No? Why not try it then? He ain't that bad of a player...

He was given PP time his first time up here.

Unfortunately it was probably in the wrong spot.
He was playing in the slot and everything about his reputation says he should probably be playing the point, dropping down to the top of the circles like we used Spurgeon and getting fed 1-timers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad