Prospect Info: Teddy Blueger | Center | Shattuck St. Mary's | 2nd Round, 52nd overall

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
I'd be surprised to see him head to Oshawa, Shero and Co seem pretty pro NCAA.

I would be very shocked if Teddy went to Oshawa this year. There was a coaching change in Mankato this offseason and Hastings' first task was to fly to Latvia and pitch his program to Teddy`s parents. Although there is precedent for this: a couple seasons ago the Mavs recruited Lance Pitlick who was drafted by Medicine Hat over in the WHL and also drafted in the 2nd round (By Edmonton). Long story short, Pitlick doesn´t play a game in an MSU uniform and bolts for Medicine Hat the next season. I doubt this is another Pitlick situation, but you never know.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Didn't Pitlick play his draft year in MSU? Any idea whether it was Pitlick or the Oilers driving the decision to switch to the WHL?

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Didn't Pitlick play his draft year in MSU? Any idea whether it was Pitlick or the Oilers driving the decision to switch to the WHL?

He did play, that was an oversight on my part. As for why Pitlick left, I never heard anything definitive, but the main consensus was that he didn`t cut it academically.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He did play, that was an oversight on my part. As for why Pitlick left, I never heard anything definitive, but the main consensus was that he didn`t cut it academically.

hopefully Teddy is willing to put in the work both on and off the ice, any idea what sort of role he'll get in his rookie year?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
As a product of SSM... the Beluga is happy to read of Sid's extension (center). His family rejoices.

beluga-whale.jpg

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
hopefully Teddy is willing to put in the work both on and off the ice, any idea what sort of role he'll get in his rookie year?

Teddy should be able to jump right in and make an impact; MSU`s top two point scorers last season were freshmen in Matt Leitner and JP Lafontaine (nephew of Pat). The glaring issue the Mavs have had in the three seasons I´ve been covering them is the lack of a potent offense, which is something I think Mike Hastings will solve given his USHL successes.

They´ve averaged 105 goals and 2.74 goals per games the past three seasons, which`ll get you in the teens in total offense in the ¨old¨ WCHA (Which there`s one more season of). As for this season, obviously it´s next to impossible to have Teddy duplicate his Shattuck numbers, but I`d say if he gets between 15-20 points on the year its a successful season. As for where he lines up? Of course, hard to tell with the new coach, but there is a chance he could be on the first line when they skate for the season opener at Alabama-Huntsville October 12th.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Teddy should be able to jump right in and make an impact; MSU`s top two point scorers last season were freshmen in Matt Leitner and JP Lafontaine (nephew of Pat). The glaring issue the Mavs have had in the three seasons I´ve been covering them is the lack of a potent offense, which is something I think Mike Hastings will solve given his USHL successes.

They´ve averaged 105 goals and 2.74 goals per games the past three seasons, which`ll get you in the teens in total offense in the ¨old¨ WCHA (Which there`s one more season of). As for this season, obviously it´s next to impossible to have Teddy duplicate his Shattuck numbers, but I`d say if he gets between 15-20 points on the year its a successful season. As for where he lines up? Of course, hard to tell with the new coach, but there is a chance he could be on the first line when they skate for the season opener at Alabama-Huntsville October 12th.

Thanks for the info, would be great if you could give us some updates throughout the season :).

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Apologies if this has been asked already, but are there any videos of this kid playing out there on the web? Tried youtube and didn't see anything. Just would be curious to see how Teddy plays. Thanks

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wish I had saved some of the WJC games to my PVR. Is Latvia going to be in the world juniors next year or were they relegated?

His numbers in Shattuck, while light years behind Sid and Parise's, are comparable to Erik Haula's. He spent a year in the USHL, but has had a productive NCAA career since, if nothing else.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Wish I had saved some of the WJC games to my PVR. Is Latvia going to be in the world juniors next year or were they relegated?

His numbers in Shattuck, while light years behind Sid and Parise's, are comparable to Erik Haula's. He spent a year in the USHL, but has had a productive NCAA career since, if nothing else.

Latvia beat Denmark in OT to avoid relegation this year.

Eleven

Solid As The Sun
Sep 22, 2009
Ohio
Speaking of SSM, did Sid's parents pay the tuition or did he get a free ride? Does anyone get a free ride there?

A boy on my son's team is going there this year, 40K a year.

You see all these kids from all over the world going to SSM, and I always wonder, am I that poor, or are there that many rich people out there?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
You see all these kids from all over the world going to SSM, and I always wonder, am I that poor, or are there that many rich people out there?

They are that rich. Blugers family certainly is wealthy and there's another Latvian playing SSM system and he is a son of our former PM so no further questions there. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bleuger's family are cabbage farmers. It's all crazy cabbage money.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Too bad we traded Staal. They could've conspired to make mad loot...

:sarcasm:

Ironically, southern Minnesota is big on corn and soybean farming. Perhaps this is the reason Teddy chose Mankato :sarcasm: Actually, probably the better reason is that MSU´s old goalie coach is now the prep assistant at Shattuck. Someone asked about athletic scholarships at Shattuck, I see nothing of the sort. Therefore, the Bluegers were forking over 50 grand last year...and this isn´t Harvard. This is a prep school in a town of 23,000 in the middle of Minnesota that´s the birthplace of the Tilt-A-Whirl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad