Prospect Info: Teddy Blueger | Center | Shattuck St. Mary's | 2nd Round, 52nd overall

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for the great input!!

Now, after getting us all pumped, he'd better become the next Paul Stastny or we have to kill you ;)

I tried not to hype him up too much, which is why I started with 'I think he was picked quite early' :) but I really wanted Toronto to grab this kid in the 4th or 5th round if he was available. Great pick for Pittsburgh, he loves North America and had the speed and thinks the game well enough to play in the NHL one day. Hope this pick pans out for you guys!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Interesting, have you seen him play much?

Not really but from what i hear he has decent skillset though a little bit undersized can be physical and bring some hits when needed,he needs to improve his game a lot and work hard if he even wants to dream about NHL.If all goes well i think 3-4 years is enough time to make him a decent player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Shero always manages to pick a guy with a high pick that leaves people asking, "Wait, who is this?". It gives me palpitations when he does it with his 2nd round pick. :laugh:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Shero always manages to pick a guy with a high pick that leaves people asking, "Wait, who is this?". It gives me palpitations when he does it with his 2nd round pick. :laugh:

I was wondering if this kid was dating Lemieux's daughter since she's playing at SSM also :sarcasm:

Plus, he's not a defenseman. :sarcasm:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Yeah this is a head scratcher. They must have seen something the rest of us haven't. At least I hope so. I don't think the 2nd round is a great place to try for a player who is a long shot to become a decent player.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
More from the Pens site...

headshot-blueger.jpg

Name: Theodor "Teddy" Blueger
Selection: Second Round (52nd overall)
Position: C
Height: 6-0
Weight: 171
Amateur Team: Shattuck-St. Mary's (HIGH-MN)

Notes: The 6-foot, 171-pound Blueger appeared in 51 regular-season games this year with Shattuck-St. Mary’s, scoring 24 goals and 64 assists for a team-leading 88 points while leading his team to its second-straight USA Hockey National Under-18 title. A native of Riga, Latvia, Blueger was a member of Latvia’s entry at the 2012 World Junior Championship in Calgary and Edmonton, tallying three points (1G-2A) in six games. He also represented Latvia at the World Under-18 Championships.

In his own words: “At first it was tough. When I came over here, the level was a lot higher than what I was used to playing … My best assets are my hockey sense and vision, passing and creating scoring chances for myself or for my teammates. But at the same time, I’m a complete player and can play in all situations and defend too … It’s an unbelievable feeling (being drafted by Pittsburgh), just a little overwhelming. I’m just really happy right now. I can’t really describe the emotions.”

Sexton’s Take: "Blueger is a highly skilled player. He left Latvia very early to come over to Shattuck-St. Mary’s and has shown really steady progress. He fits what we look for. The upside on him, offensively, is very high.“

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
I cover MSU Mankato hockey, and Teddy has said several times that he´s coming to Mankato this fall. So much for the Sioux City rumor. Anyway, I´m excited to see him: From what I saw during WJCs he´s what the scouting reports have said: He´s good but he´s getting better. Obviously though I´ll know more when I see him play week in week out, but solid pick by the Pens. FWIW, I said he´d be a steal anytime after the late 2nd round, so maybe the Pens´ scouts heard me?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I cover MSU Mankato hockey, and Teddy has said several times that he´s coming to Mankato this fall. So much for the Sioux City rumor. Anyway, I´m excited to see him: From what I saw during WJCs he´s what the scouting reports have said: He´s good but he´s getting better. Obviously though I´ll know more when I see him play week in week out, but solid pick by the Pens. FWIW, I said he´d be a steal anytime after the late 2nd round, so maybe the Pens´ scouts heard me?

Cool, we'd love some updates from time to time in our sticked prospect thread if you'd be willing.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd be surprised to see him head to Oshawa, Shero and Co seem pretty pro NCAA.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Would he get a top six role in Oshawa?

The only guys potentially returning from the Generals' top six are Nicklas Jensen, Scott Laughton, Boone Jenner, and Lucas Lessio. Andy Andreoff was OA this past season and will graduate, and Christian Thomas can return as OA, but is likely headed to the Rangers' AHL club. The only other possibilities I can see are JP Labardo, though he's better as a 3C, or import Sebastian Uvira.

So barring trades/rookie phenoms, I'd say there's 1 or 2 spots available in the Gens' top six.

Tyfighter

Aug 22, 2008
The only guys potentially returning from the Generals' top six are Nicklas Jensen, Scott Laughton, Boone Jenner, and Lucas Lessio. Andy Andreoff was OA this past season and will graduate, and Christian Thomas can return as OA, but is likely headed to the Rangers' AHL club. The only other possibilities I can see are JP Labardo, though he's better as a 3C, or import Sebastian Uvira.

So barring trades/rookie phenoms, I'd say there's 1 or 2 spots available in the Gens' top six.

I heard that Nicklas Jensen is going to play in Sweden next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad