Prospect Info: Teddy Blueger | Center | Shattuck St. Mary's | 2nd Round, 52nd overall

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
a9hn188_large.jpg

Blueger's on the right I believe;

TheHockeywriters said:
Lativia’s #21 Teodors (Teddy) Blugers is a potential latter round 2012 NHL entry draft pick. The centreman plays for Shattuck St. Mary’s, a high school in Minnesota, for which he has scored 33 points in 20 games so far this season.

The school has some obvious high-end alumni including Sidney Crosby,Zach Parise, Jack Johnson, Drew Stafford and Jonathan Toews.

He is a solid two-way player with a strong work ethic. I had the opportunity to talk with him after they lost 14-0 to Russia in round robin play at the 2012 World Junior Championship.

While he has just 1 assist in 4 games thus far at this year’s tournament, keep in mind just how difficult it is for a first year draft eligible prospect to make an impact at this level. Fellow Shattuck alumni Toews, for instance, had just 2 assists in 6 games in this first championship.

Also known as Ted Blueger

2010-2011 SHATTUCK-ST.MARYS HIGH-MN 54 24 42 66 32
2010-2011 SHATTUCK-ST.MARYS PREP HIGH-MN 54 24 42 66 32
2011-2012 SHATTUCK-ST.MARYS HIGH-MN 51 24 64 88 63
2011-2012 SHATTUCK-ST.MARYS PREP HIGH-MN 51 24 64 88 63

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
44th place in PPG in the USHS, undersized - not impressed at all with player slike bozon still on the board... sigh

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Blueger born in Latvia, lived there until age 14, but speaks flawless English. Turns out he attended English-language school there.

Blueger's favorite player, and one he tried to pattern his game after, is Pavel Datsyuk.

From Dave Molinari's twitter. It seems like a reach but the scouts obviously felt he was going earlier than he's listed, He'll play at least 3 years of College so I don't think we should start hating on him until we've seen how he performs at that level.

Who wouldn't want to have the Latvian Pavel Datsyuk?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
44th place in PPG in the USHS, undersized - not impressed at all with player slike bozon still on the board... sigh

at 6'0 171 he's not undersized, he'll probably be 185 after a few years in college.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Committed to Minnesota State (Mankato) for 2013-14. Not a top address but a solid WCHA team. Probably going to play for Sioux City in the USHL next season. Definitely a long-range prospect.

Was this a Grillo pick? Shattuck St. Mary's being in Minnesota and all.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Committed to Minnesota State (Mankato) for 2013-14. Not a top address but a solid WCHA team. Probably going to play for Sioux City in the USHL next season. Definitely a long-range prospect.

pity he's not going straight to NCAA.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is one of those crap-shoot picks where the scouts obviously see something beyond the stats that they like. Not sure why they'd grab a guy like this in Rnd 2.
[edit - just saw the 3rd round goalie pick]

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
From Dave Molinari's twitter. It seems like a reach but the scouts obviously felt he was going earlier than he's listed, He'll play at least 3 years of College so I don't think we should start hating on him until we've seen how he performs at that level.

Who wouldn't want to have the Latvian Pavel Datsyuk?
I know a dad that has a son on the Lafontaine Royals team that reced their SSM's game. You could see he likes Dats. He plays that "always 10' from the puck" kind of game. He looked kind of wirey to me but very involved. IMO he had a lot of Krejci's look to his game.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
pity he's not going straight to NCAA.

Fret not, it was a typo over at eliteprospects.com. Blueger is going to Minnesota State this fall. Sioux City held his USHL rights but the kid is bypassing them.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Fret not, it was a typo over at eliteprospects.com. Blueger is going to Minnesota State this fall. Sioux City held his USHL rights but the kid is bypassing them.

Nice, I think he confirmed it on his interview on the Pens site. You would have no clue he's Latvian after hearing him speak.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

Was this a Grillo pick? Shattuck St. Mary's being in Minnesota and all.
Chuck Grillo is not with the team anymore.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I thought he was picked quite early, but in limited viewings this season I think he'll be a good player. He's a bit undersized, but very fast with good hands and a good shot. He played well at the WJC (where I saw him) and will take on a larger role with the Latvian U20 team in the next two WJC and will also likely receive extra development time with the Latvian National Team. He should do well in NCAA with his speed, but will definitely need to bulk up in his time there if he wants to be a successful pro.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I thought he was picked quite early, but in limited viewings this season I think he'll be a good player. He's a bit undersized, but very fast with good hands and a good shot. He played well at the WJC (where I saw him) and will take on a larger role with the Latvian U20 team in the next two WJC and will also likely receive extra development time with the Latvian National Team. He should do well in NCAA with his speed, but will definitely need to bulk up in his time there if he wants to be a successful pro.

Thanks for the great input!!

Now, after getting us all pumped, he'd better become the next Paul Stastny or we have to kill you ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad