Ted Nolan Appreciation Thread

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'm a fan of Teddy. I think he did a good job with the players and teaching hard work and commitment. I know that's become a joke around here, but a lot of you underestimate how important that is. Ted has been criticized for not having a system, but it's hard to even know whether that's true. His system was appropriate given the complete lack of skill on this team this year. His system is to keep everything simple and work hard. Most important, I think it speaks volumes about Ted that the players did not appear to have any serious locker room issues and came to play hard all season long. Not too many coaches could probably pull that off. Look at Toronto. Look at the rumors in LA (which may or may not be true). Look at San Jose. Give the guy some credit.

Anyway, I appreciate what Ted did for the team and the city and I hope he gets another opportunity elsewhere.

Thing of it is, none of these players, not a one, got anywhere near the NHL without knowing all about - and rigorously applying for years - hard work. So how much of that exactly did Nolan truly "teach" any of them?

Seems to me that Nolan didn't "teach" anything so much as he leveled the playing field, so to speak, for the benefit of those who only have "works hard" going for them (ie: Flynn, Mitchell, neither of who should have spent any quality time in the top 6). I disagree with those who claim that Nolan wasn't any good for the rookies and preferred the vets; I don't think age was ever a factor in his decision-making. But he sure did seem to favor those who he saw as visibly "trying hard".

I get it that some players, like some people, can end up taking roles and opportunities for granted after a while. And perhaps having a guy like Nolan who isn't going to shy from rewarding grinders is a good thing, because it can smack awake those who take ice time for granted, etc. But it's only a good thing for so long. A whole season of plugging guys like Flynn and Mitchell ahead of the Larssons, Hodgsons, and Girgorenkos, doesn't really do a thing for anyone over the long haul.

I see Nolan, who referenced his own personal and cultural background as the source of his "gotta work hard against the odds" rhetoric, as a genuine guy of the blue collar coach variety. Great stuff. But stuff that is perhaps better suited to a lower level of hockey where kids still need constant lecturing about "work ethic" rather than merely the odd reminder.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
I remember being in Constitutional Law when I saw that the Sabres hired LaFontaine and Nolan. I actually left class, because I was so psyched.

I wish Ted the absolute best. And as a person, I think he's terrific. GO LATVIA.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I'd like to appreciate Nolan taking on a thankless task.

Nolan knew he was going into an ugly situation when Lafontaine brought him in. he still took the chance and tried his best with what he had.

But, It's really hard to appreciate him more with all the drama the zealous Nolan loyalists and Sabre haters are doing right now.

They're trying to make Murray into an evil bad guy for taking over Regier mess and not making miracle moves to turn a team into an instant playoff contender.

Murray's job is to build a long term cup contending team. That's the Owner's mission statement. It's not rush along and sign a bunch of mediocre players and try and give Nolan a playoff bubble team.

Sabres we're slated to use the picks from the 2014 and 2015 draft and build a new core with. That's what they did. I'm looking forward to the future.

Good luck Nolan. I hope you get a new gig soon.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't know why I have such bitterness towards him, but I'd be lying if I said otherwise, so this is me being honest.

I think it has something to do with the spite he exhibited after the deadline, rubbing it in our faces that he was going above and beyond to see to it that he does his job and guide the team to wins. I also consider myself more of a coach poster than a GM poster; meaning, I'm more concerned with how the D looked in game 56 versus who's being dangled as trade bait or who we had conversations with and who they pertained to. So the lack of good coaching on a game to game basis bothered me. Whatever.

I don't wish anything ill for him, I'm just glad to see him go.

This is the appreciation thread, so I will say thanks for your time here and for being a good guy and good for the city and community and a good face for us in the league ranks. I wish it worked out better.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Thankful he accepted this no win situation he was put in. Maybe he went to far with with discipline but he held people accountable during a hopeless season. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind, no double talk, didn't let fear of being fired prevent him from being a straight shooter.

Hope he enjoys the next 2 years of paid vacation though, he earned it.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I hindsight it was pretty obvious that this coaching staff was a "tank crew". They were assembled to keep the group together and have have them keep doing the right thing even though they were getting beat up on a nightly basis. And they did that job splendid. Honestly, I have no complaints about Nolan's work or his assistants. They did their job and for that I am thankful.

But the tank is over and they're no longer needed. That's the harch reality.

Thank you Teddy and good luck. Once a Sabre, always a Sabre. Unless you end up in Toronto because then you're dead to us. ;)

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Every great tank needs a commander. He was ours and he was the best. Good luck Ted and thank you!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
As Jame noted, Nolan was the right Sabres coach for the right time.

Nolan knew he was going into an ugly situation when Lafontaine brought him in. he still took the chance and tried his best with what he had.

But, It's really hard to appreciate him more with all the drama the zealous Nolan loyalists and Sabre haters are doing right now.

They're trying to make Murray into an evil bad guy for taking over Regier mess and not making miracle moves to turn a team into an instant playoff contender.

Murray's job is to build a long term cup contending team. That's the Owner's mission statement. It's not rush along and sign a bunch of mediocre players and try and give Nolan a playoff bubble team.

Sabres we're slated to use the picks from the 2014 and 2015 draft and build a new core with. That's what they did. I'm looking forward to the future.

Exactly. Nolan did exactly what was asked of him: Play a full 82-game season with an under-talented and mis-cast (center roles, etc.) roster, develop youngsters as best as possible, and showcase pending UFAs, all without any realistic hope of making the playoffs.

I didn't watch as much this year as past, but I do feel the play at the end of the season was markedly better than the beginning. As another posted noted, despite being DFL in the league in so many categories - Goals For, PP%, PK%, Corsi / possession, probably shots allowed, probably FO%, etc., there were few blowouts.

Thing of it is, none of these players, not a one, got anywhere near the NHL without knowing all about - and rigorously applying for years - hard work. So how much of that exactly did Nolan truly "teach" any of them?

Seems to me that Nolan didn't "teach" anything so much as he leveled the playing field, so to speak, for the benefit of those who only have "works hard" going for them (ie: Flynn, Mitchell, neither of who should have spent any quality time in the top 6). I disagree with those who claim that Nolan wasn't any good for the rookies and preferred the vets; I don't think age was ever a factor in his decision-making. But he sure did seem to favor those who he saw as visibly "trying hard".

I get it that some players, like some people, can end up taking roles and opportunities for granted after a while. And perhaps having a guy like Nolan who isn't going to shy from rewarding grinders is a good thing, because it can smack awake those who take ice time for granted, etc. But it's only a good thing for so long. A whole season of plugging guys like Flynn and Mitchell ahead of the Larssons, Hodgsons, and Girgorenkos, doesn't really do a thing for anyone over the long haul.

I see Nolan, who referenced his own personal and cultural background as the source of his "gotta work hard against the odds" rhetoric, as a genuine guy of the blue collar coach variety. Great stuff. But stuff that is perhaps better suited to a lower level of hockey where kids still need constant lecturing about "work ethic" rather than merely the odd reminder.

I agree Nolan showed no favoratism to the vets.

However, why is the bolded ever wrong? Why is it ever wrong in hockey? Why is it ever wrong in life? If you re-read your post, I think you answered your own question.

As to the underlined, I don't recall that Larsson was healthy-scratched, certainly not frequently.

I thought Nolan's handling of Hodgson this season was fine - perhaps even ideal - moved him to wing, then demoted him to 4th line when he wasn't consistent defensively. Please note Hodgson had several good - and complete - games late in the season. We can speculate if that would have happened had his role and linemates not changed this season.

Grigorenko was a one-arm-tied situation from the start due to the contract, roster makeup, and overall talent level. On a better team, with greater organizational depth, he would have never burned his 1st yr ELC so soon, and more traditionally progressed through junior and AHL. I am stating obvious, but my point is Nolan could not fix the circumstances which led to the result. Not clear to me another coach could have done differently.

CoHo 19 says “Hi”. :sarcasm:
Exactly.
Thankful he accepted this no win situation he was put in. Maybe he went to far with with discipline but he held people accountable during a hopeless season. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind, no double talk, didn't let fear of being fired prevent him from being a straight shooter.

Hope he enjoys the next 2 years of paid vacation though, he earned it.
Agreed.
I hindsight it was pretty obvious that this coaching staff was a "tank crew". They were assembled to keep the group together and have have them keep doing the right thing even though they were getting beat up on a nightly basis. And they did that job splendid. Honestly, I have no complaints about Nolan's work or his assistants. They did their job and for that I am thankful.
But the tank is over and they're no longer needed. That's the harch reality.

Thank you Teddy and good luck. Once a Sabre, always a Sabre. Unless you end up in Toronto because then you're dead to us. ;)
Fully agree. Lots of working-world organizations bring in an interim caretaker at a site after a former regime is swept out the door, while the right / best future leader is identified / groomed / released from current role.

Nolan did the same thing, gladly, consistently, and with the near-certainty he would not be around for the build up from the bottom.

The job of the interim caretaker in the corporate world is to keep morale up enough to avoid crippling talent exodus to other companies. The Sabres are under contract, so physical exodus is not possible, but the number of times this season the majority of the roster was mentally checked out for a long stretch was rather limited, and IMO, certainly not the last couple months.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to win, even if he doesn't have the best plan or players to do so. Good luck going forward Teddy.

Thanks for doing the most unthankful coaching job in the entire NHL.
And in agreement with those last two posts above, it's not clear to me there was a better man for the Sabres than Nolan the past 18 months.

Best wishes in life / hockey / modeling mens leather goods.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I appreciate that he had the players working hard. I don't feel that there was a loser's mentality in that locker room, though who can tell for sure from our perspective.

I said it in another thread, but the outcome of this season has gone about as well as you could hope. We say players develop and work hard, a lot of close games, and though we got last place, we just barely did it, and injuries were likely a reason why we didn't get 29th or higher. Not that I was hoping for injuries, but it's nice to know that the talent level on this team as is, before adding McEichel / Kane / Reinhart / etc.

Teddy caused a great deal of stress for me, but I think his contribution to the team in not letting them slip into losing helplessness despite being 30th place was huge. I'm glad he won't be around next season, but I think he helped to set a decent foundation for the "now get better" part of the rebuild.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
However, why is the bolded ever wrong? Why is it ever wrong in hockey? Why is it ever wrong in life?
Most people in Buffalo think that way... I 'work hard' so I should be in a better spot. But, life isn't fair. Just because it looks to someone like another isn't working hard, and doesn't do things the right way, if they're better than you, they're better than you.

Look at this logically with Ted Nolan's job. With Nolan's skillset, his main job is being a motivator. Thus, Nolan should be motivating his talented players to do their best, not rewarding Matt Ellis with their spots. When Nolan was whining about how his team wasn't working hard 3 games into the season, I'm like... THAT'S YOUR JOB! It's the one thing you're good at!

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
CoHo 19 says “Hiâ€. :sarcasm:

Trying to get me going? lol

But seriously, if this was not a Nolan appreciation thread, I'd point out that he just got given what he's been giving to Hodgson for months - put in a position where he was never going to succeed, then punished for performing precisely as anyone should expect for the circumstances, then stuck listening to his boss invent a story to rationalize the outcome that the boss himself set up. Hodgson may not have a lot of sympathy for Nolan right now, but he's got enough first hand experience to understand what he's going thru.

As for Hodgson's work ethic, don't let Nolan's bus tossing of the kid fool you into thinking there's any substance to the notion that he doesn't "work hard". As others have pointed out again just today, not all players have the same style, not all guys are going to "look" like they're "working hard" the same way, and really, it takes all types. Nolan's just not equally good dealing with all types, and it probably doesn't help his coaching rep that he's got a pretty limited tool box of "motivational strategies".

Guys like Moulson, Hodgson, Stewart and Stafford (to name a few ;)) are always gonna draw the ire of a coach like Nolan. Hodgson's unassuming demeanor and lack of resume simply made him the easiest target, and as the season progressed his way of not responding "angry" to Nolan's sticks made it seemingly "personal". There was no turning back after Hodgson failed to "get angry" with the Vancouver humiliation.

If Hodgson's on-ice play reflects his personality, he's not the type to "get angry" the way Nolan can appreciate. And if Nolan's pressers are anything to go by, then whatever the topic is, he's stubborn to a fault. These two were not a good fit, but just because Nolan rationalized his stubborn approach with inferences that Hodgson doesn't "work hard" and "won't let himself be coached" doesn't mean those assessments reflect what really went on. In fact, given that we're talking about a kid who has been spoken off in glowing terms for those very qualities - Nolan's assessment reflects more upon Nolan himself, and how he interpreted his own inability to adapt to work with different types.

Sorta like how TM is now rationalizing his own decisions concerning Nolan, coming up with plausible explanations that deflect onto Nolan - rather than outright admitting that Nolan merely produced precisely as anyone would expect under the circumstances created by his boss.

Funny in a way... A player and coach wired so differently that they could never be an ideal fit, and yet now with so much in common....

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Interesting since the driving force all year in any discussion about Nolan were the Nolan haters. Those haters happen to also be the driving force of the thread on the main board. If you click on the post total, it lists who posted in the thread and how many times. The top posters are the usual Nolan haters from our board as well as other Sabre posters. There are maybe 3 or 4 non-Sabre fans in that thread with double digit post totals.

Last edited:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Interesting since the driving force all year in any discussion about Nolan were the Nolan haters. Those haters happen to also be the driving force of the thread on the main board. If you click on the post total, it lists who posted in the thread and how many times. The top posters are the usual Nolan haters from our board as well as other Sabre posters. There are maybe 3 non-Sabre fans in that thread with double digit posts.

Interesting, but not surprising? Some people see injustice with the outcome (tank + Nolan's situation), but those who are more heavily involved are those who have had strong beliefs/opinions from the onset and took Nolan's firing as a trigger to let it all (pro or con) out.

Maybe the one good thing everyone can agree on that comes from Nolan's "relief of duties" is that the dialogue will finally shift away from whether or not the Sabres' coach ought to be fired. I mean truly, it's like a dream come true, so refreshing not to have a "coach controversy"!

Well, at least until November when it'll start up again for the new guy.:D

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I think Nolan was an effective safeguard against the fabled "toxic environment" or "losing culture" more than anything else

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Interesting, but not surprising? Some people see injustice with the outcome (tank + Nolan's situation), but those who are more heavily involved are those who have had strong beliefs/opinions from the onset and took Nolan's firing as a trigger to let it all (pro or con) out.

I was more commenting on this odd perception some have. They are seeing this wide conspiracy of hate for our team from the wider hockey world. They see it being feed by Nolan zealots and Sabre haters. When in realty the overwhelming amount of posts about Nolan here and on the main board are from Sabres fans. Fans that either have no issue with the firing or are gleefully celebrating it. So I found it interesting that the poster I quoted sees things in the exact opposite manner in which they are playing out.

Maybe the one good thing everyone can agree on that comes from Nolan's "relief of duties" is that the dialogue will finally shift away from whether or not the Sabres' coach ought to be fired. I mean truly, it's like a dream come true, so refreshing not to have a "coach controversy"!

Well, at least until November when it'll start up again for the new guy.:D

Not until November? You're being generous :laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nobody is celebrating the firing in the main thread..... they're correcting a lot of bull ****.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Nobody is celebrating the firing in the main thread..... they're correcting a lot of bull ****.

With all due respect its what you and a few other perceive to be ********. And its still doesn't change the fact that our posters are the driving force of that thread. Its not a tidal wave of Nolan fans and Sabre haters driving it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
With all due respect its what you and a few other perceive to be ********. And its still doesn't change the fact that our posters are the driving force of that thread. Its not a tidal wave of Nolan fans and Sabre haters driving it.

No. It's bull ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad