Ted Nolan Appreciation Thread

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
I have been as hard as Ted anyone. I am not unhappy he is gone. That being said, his team played hard through adversity, his kids learned to work and the locker room will be ok (a huge risk going into this).

Thank you, Ted, and best wishes. You will find your fit somewhere and remain one of Buffalo's sons.

Last edited:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Nice thought, this tread.

I've been hard on the guy too, and not taking back a word of it either. This includes the words about his seemingly sound character. Gotta respect a guy who works so hard to be above it all and honorable.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
He deserves to be gone, he's not a great coach, but not everything he did was bad.

He got the players to show up and give an honest effort more than I've seen from them in many years. Whether in spite of him or because of him, the young guys who should be here long term (Ristolainen, Girgs, Foligno, Ennis, Larsson, even Zadorov sometimes) showed steady developmental improvement.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Nolan was the perfect coach for this season. Thank you for your service, Ted. I'm comforted knowing there will never be a round 3.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Nolan was the perfect coach for this season. Thank you for your service, Ted. I'm comforted knowing there will never be a round 3.

Spot on. He kept the team motivated and competing amidst consecutive last-place seasons. But never managed to improve them enough to alter the last-place outcomes. Perfect tank coach.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nolan fan, I still appreciate the playoff run in 1995... He's a better coach than many give him credit for being but Murray saw it differently.. I can't wait to see who replaces him and their ability to build the new Sabre team from bottom up... Good luck Ted...

The Ugly Truth*

Good luck to Ted!

He did well (almost TOO well!) with the team he was given and is now a fall guy. His reported differences of opinion with the GM sealed his fate. If Babcock ends up just trolling Toronto, Nolan might just be the next Leaf coach...

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
He did well (almost TOO well!) with the team he was given and is now a fall guy. His reported differences of opinion with the GM sealed his fate. If Babcock ends up just trolling Toronto, Nolan might just be the next Leaf coach...

Nolan will never coach in the NHL again unless Pat LaFontaine becomes an owner.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
He deserves to be gone, he's not a great coach, but not everything he did was bad.

He got the players to show up and give an honest effort more than I've seen from them in many years. Whether in spite of him or because of him, the young guys who should be here long term (Ristolainen, Girgs, Foligno, Ennis, Larsson, even Zadorov sometimes) showed steady developmental improvement.

I suspect it's more in spite of him. Between natural stages of development/ages and the slew of extra ice time available, the guys you named were simply bound to at least appear as if they took a step forward. Personally I don't think Foligno or Ennis did (taking into account production versus extra opportunity this season, there's just not any significant diff), while Riso, Girgs, Zads and Larsson were each going to appear to have progressed simply by stepping up to the NHL.

Come to think of it, I cannot name one guy who was magically reclaimed during Nolan's tenure unless it's possibly Myers? Conversely, I can think of a few career grinders who he "got the most out of" merely by playing them so far up by the depth chart that they got the minutes (Flynn, Mitchell), and at least three vet forwards who stepped back under Nolan's coaching/strategies, etc. (Moulson, Hodgson, Stafford) - more if you're looking at points per 60 for one example of a measurement, including Ennis, Flynn, Foligno, etc.

Lots of factors at play, sure, but without being able to name one guy who hands-down genuinely improved during Nolan's tenure and yet being able to name several who had worse showings, I'm just not seeing truth in the myth that Nolan "got the most out of a pathetic roster". :help:

Karate Johnson*

Ted got us McEichel and provided one of the biggest WTF moment ain Sabres history when we hired him.

Hope he enjoys the rest of his life with his money he earned to command this tank.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
I wouldn't mind him going to Toronto, won't happen but anyways I believe he's always been a great coach (saying he is not, i'm sorry that is just not right at all) his work in the Olympics is a testament to what he can do. I gotta tell ya guys since I am in an "away building" so to speak I can't stand the Leaf section on this board, it is so annoying there (i'm not putting everyone under that label of being annoying but I feel so out of place) but it is just a wrong balance of people who post stupid things much of the time and mods who will delete absolutely anything no matter how mild no swearing, just plain old don't like that you had a point about something or disagreed with something dumb someone posted even if it was in a polite way. I often wonder if mods are this way everywhere on here or if some people just like the ridiculous power of pushing the delete button or closing a thread. Yay.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
I wouldn't mind him going to Toronto, won't happen but anyways I believe he's always been a great coach (saying he is not, i'm sorry that is just not right at all) his work in the Olympics is a testament to what he can do. I gotta tell ya guys since I am in an "away building" so to speak I can't stand the Leaf section on this board, it is so annoying there (i'm not putting everyone under that label of being annoying but I feel so out of place) but it is just a wrong balance of people who post stupid things much of the time and mods who will delete absolutely anything no matter how mild no swearing, just plain old don't like that you had a point about something or disagreed with something dumb someone posted even if it was in a polite way. I often wonder if mods are this way everywhere on here or if some people just like the ridiculous power of pushing the delete button or closing a thread. Yay.

Come over to the dark side my son, release your inner feelings, release the Sabres force!!

Seriously, Nolan is a bad coach. I'd love to see him in Leaf land.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm a fan of Teddy. I think he did a good job with the players and teaching hard work and commitment. I know that's become a joke around here, but a lot of you underestimate how important that is. Ted has been criticized for not having a system, but it's hard to even know whether that's true. His system was appropriate given the complete lack of skill on this team this year. His system is to keep everything simple and work hard. Most important, I think it speaks volumes about Ted that the players did not appear to have any serious locker room issues and came to play hard all season long. Not too many coaches could probably pull that off. Look at Toronto. Look at the rumors in LA (which may or may not be true). Look at San Jose. Give the guy some credit.

Anyway, I appreciate what Ted did for the team and the city and I hope he gets another opportunity elsewhere.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
Come over to the dark side my son, release your inner feelings, release the Sabres force!!

Seriously, Nolan is a bad coach. I'd love to see him in Leaf land.
I appreciate your welcome!!

What makes him bad in your opinion?

What about when he took a horrible Latvian team and made them into something nobody would ever have dreamed? Their best ever showing in the Olympics! A fluke... ? I understand hating coaches though when they been in the system too long, etc.. if we want to talk about bad coaches look no further than Ron Wilson.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The right coach at the right time.

Thanks Teddy, and enjoy the 2 years severance pay.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
I'm a fan of Teddy. I think he did a good job with the players and teaching hard work and commitment. I know that's become a joke around here, but a lot of you underestimate how important that is. Ted has been criticized for not having a system, but it's hard to even know whether that's true. His system was appropriate given the complete lack of skill on this team this year. His system is to keep everything simple and work hard. Most important, I think it speaks volumes about Ted that the players did not appear to have any serious locker room issues and came to play hard all season long. Not too many coaches could probably pull that off. Look at Toronto. Look at the rumors in LA (which may or may not be true). Look at San Jose. Give the guy some credit.

Anyway, I appreciate what Ted did for the team and the city and I hope he gets another opportunity elsewhere.

After listening to the Nolan presser and how the end of the year meetings went with the players..I'm not sure all were on board.

Who knows:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad