Teams with the best prospect pools

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
When your third best prospect projects to be a career third liner...

He's projected to be a 3rd liner not because of his value but because of his skillset. He's not a goal scorer or offensive dynamo. You need those kinds of players on successful teams. It's the same reason national teams don't always just take the top 12 players.

If he reaches his projection, he should be one of the top 3rd liners in the league.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
When your third best prospect projects to be a career third liner...

Lander has potential to be an elitle 3rd line checking center with great leadership. He'll probably be the Oilers captain one day. I'd say that's a great prospect for the Oilers.

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He's projected to be a 3rd liner not because of his value but because of his skillset. He's not a goal scorer or offensive dynamo. You need those kinds of players on successful teams. It's the same reason national teams don't always just take the top 12 players.

If he reaches his projection, he should be one of the top 3rd liners in the league.

i feel like he could be compared to mike fisher in the sense that he is very valuable to the team he plays for, and can be a decent 2nd-liner or an above average 3rd-liner.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Lander has potential to be an elitle 3rd line checking center with great leadership. He'll probably be the Oilers captain one day. I'd say that's a great prospect for the Oilers.

I agree, he seems to me like a little bit lesser version of Ryan O'Reilly on both defensive and offensive end.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Been there, done that! Plus I already mentioned what I taught about more than half of those guys and my basic reasons behind it. Also, no offense but are you really saying that all the guys you mentioned are great prospects? You've basically named most of your forwards who you think might have some chances at one point or another - how does that show the depth and quality of a pool ? Most team could do the same and enumerate most of their forwards since they all have many young prospects and projects,it doesn't make them great based on that alone!

your opinion means nothing because you apparently know very little about them

huberdeau, bjugstad, howden, grimaldi all have home-run potential, so yes, they are great prospects. dadonov, shore (top-50 prospect on HF last yr, and did nothing to lose that status), mcfarland, repik, shirokov, knight and wilson all have shown tremendous potential and are in that next tier.

yes, hyman, trochek and donskoi are projects but have been very impressive so far (either statistically (hyman) or internationally (trochek, donskoi)

most teams cannot put lists together like florida's. sure, you could scroll a bunch of random names down to try and make it look like you can - but the depth of skill and quality is why i named those particular players and omitted guys who have shown very little or no potential to us (like joe basaraba, josh birkholz, AJ Jenks, etc.)

It's not like i've ranked them mid or bottom of the pack either. I've mentioned earlier that I ranked them around 6th but depending on one's definition of a prospect, they could replace Edmonton in my top five. I've also mentioned that by adding 2 high end talent in front that would push them in the top no doubt. So really what are you looking for here?

and my response to you was your reasoning for naming ranking them sixth was very poor and ignorant. saying florida doesn't have depth at forward is pretty silly and just shows you really don't know what you're talking about.

Yes a lot of people do consider them #1 but far from being everyone!!! Adding that my comments must be based on ignorance based on the fact that you think Florida is #1 and I didn't agree with that statement - goes to show how you view things and your reasoning! There's a lot of good ways to express yourself and get your message across but trying to discredit those who simply do not share your ideas isn't one of them!

i didnt call your comments ignorant because you didn't agree with me. i called them ignorant because you said florida lacks depth at forward and, unless you're looking at a different set of prospects than i am, you're wrong. you're either disillusioned or ignorant, likely the second one. i doubt you know enough about guys like drew shore, corban knight, garrett wilson, etc. to properly assess this group of prospects. that's the point.

You like them, i get it and respect that - but it doesn't mean that everyone who won't agree with everything you said is ignorant for not pushing the same "agenda". Just take a look at this thread you might notice that not everyone put them as the #1 without a doubt!

that's fine. i'm not even saying florida IS #1. i dont know enough about ottawa's prospects, or the islanders, etc. to even pretend that i could compare them to ours.

my gripe with you is your REASONING for ranking them sixth. not the actual ranking. you said we don't have forward depth and that is laughably inaccurate.

Anyway, have a great day!![/QUOTE]

Big Mr S

Aug 16, 2011
your opinion means nothing because you apparently know very little about them

huberdeau, bjugstad, howden, grimaldi all have home-run potential, so yes, they are great prospects. dadonov, shore (top-50 prospect on HF last yr, and did nothing to lose that status), mcfarland, repik, shirokov, knight and wilson all have shown tremendous potential and are in that next tier.

Have you even took the time to read my previous post ? The one where i said :

As for forwards, it's not as deep as i would like. They have Hub which i really like and Howden is showing good potential and development. I'm not completely sold on Bjugstad and Shore. Grimaldi is a hit or miss project which could turn out to be a bust or a great pick up. Repik does show potential at the AHL level which hopefully will translate in the NHL. McFarland is slowly getting there but still need time. Dadonov was a nice surprise last year and i like the kid but i don't consider him a prospect now. Jenks still needs development.

In no way I have blasted or diminish them. I even went on saying how i liked your depth at the D position and i really like your future G. Anyway there's really no point of pursuing this conversation as you simply don't seem to be able to accept the concept that some else might not evaluate some of your prospects the same way you do.

Dismissing their ideas by saying that the reasoning behind it is this or that as it differs from yours, is simply childish. You don't have to agree with me but since we are talking about prospects, your views are just as right as mine at this point since it is too early, therefore most of it is based on speculation of what we believe they will achieve in the future. That doesn't make one more right than the other. Otherwise pretty much everyone from fans to professional scouts would agree on every prospects - which is far from being the case.

Prospects projection and evaluation is not an exact science. You could ask 20 professional scouts and you will get 20 different answers. It will vary for each individual based on the frame of reference used, one's definition of depth, how you qualify a prospect and the tools used to evaluate their progression based on their projected ceiling, and many more factors... and of course your own personal opinion will come into play.

This is starting to look like some hockeybuzz forum. Next time, why not try to be a little more civil about it. I'm not agreeing with everything you said but i still answered you with respect by defending my ideas - not by trying to demolish yours.

I think we can move on. Instead of wasting your time attacking me so hard, why don't you try to educate us more of your prospects/projects that you consider to be unknown to those not wearing the Panthers glasses. That might be a more constructive and effective way to actually do something relevant.

Last edited:

squidz*

TcpipPunch.jpg

This is directed towards anyone who ever "signs" a post with their handle, or ends a forum comment with "cheers."

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I respect your opinion but these choices were based on my view! Everyone has there own preferences which is why the actual ranking will vary depending on who's making the list. People tend to forget sometimes how deep Detroit's pool actually is since they can afford to let them develop until 21-22-23 years old! Also, I'm not a Detroit Fan so this is not a homer choice!! :) But with guys like :

Almqvist, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Mursak, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Smith, Tatar, etc... I would call that a strong prospect pool!

Well, that you have your own view is good and all, but when something is this obvious, Panthers prospect-pool being #1, then you just look stupid not even having them in your top5. You can argue all you want, but you are wrong. You could ask any scout and I can almost guarantee that everyone will have Cats pool in their top3.

Huberdeau (Memorial cup MVP, some scouts say he easily could have gone first in the draft)
Markstrom (Arguably the best goalie-prospect not in the NHL)
Gudbranson (A man among boys. A great defenseman prospect and a blue-chipper for the future).
Howden (Amazing skater, and scored 40 goals on a MJ team that wasn't anything more than a decent WHL team last year)
Bjugstad (A project, but his upside is sky-high. Looking like a Getzlaf-ish clone.
Shore (A great season, and a very underrated prospect around here.)
Petrovic (Amazing year for Red Deer, excellent in both ends and a good skater)
McFarland (Starting to produce more in the O. Might be the type of player that is more suited for the pro game with his shot and speed).
Grimaldi (Top10 talent in the draft, but fell cause of size and maybe because of his strong religion attachment).
Robak (Rochesters only good defenseman last year. Was great in juniors and has all the talent that is needed, only lacks a bit on the physical side)

And to this you can add Bengtsson, Brickley, Dadonov, Jenks, Timmins, Shaw, Trocheck, Hyman, Donskoi, Brittain, Comrie, Pacan++

No team comes anywhere close to this (maybe Sens) prospect-pool.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Based on that logic, taking 2 high end forwards out of a system would not dramatically affect that particular team I suppose ? Same applies if you add them. But to quote you...lol...

Again i mentioned about 4 times now, the main reason i left them out MY top 5 was mainly because they are not as deep positionally as Detroit and don't have has many potential high end talent forwards. I don't get you beef here - it's MY personal opinion, it doesn't discredit yours or anything! No need to take everything so personal. I've just explained my general view on most of your prospects. Each prospects from Detroit has already been described a few times. What more do you want from me!? I gave you my opinion, explained the reasons behind them, mention quickly which of your prospects i like or not and why. To reiterate, i do not think Florida is as deep as Detroit. Most of Detroit's forward are top 6 potential with high ceiling, which is lacking from Florida's system. But your team as a better defensive group. I think also Huberdeau is probably better than their best forward, some of Detroit's have higher ceiling but it doesn't mean they will reach it - and markstrom is better than their best G. But a few players doesn't equal depth in a system. Otherwise Phili would be pretty high simply based on Schenn and Couturier....

Why start a thread asking people to comment on THEIR views for the teams THEY think as the best prospect pools - when most people seem to be looking to confirm their personal biased opinion. From what i understand, i am allowed to rank each individual prospect from each team based on my perspective, on what i've seen from them over the years, their progression, what ceiling i think they could reach, how deep the big club is, etc.... Notice that I mentioned I and MY a few times.. You can disagree with me but don't try to force your take onto other people if you don't agree with theirs. Just don't agree with me, simple as that ! No harm there! Such a big fuzz because you are considering your team as the Best prospect pool (little biased here?) when i have slotted them at 6-7. It's not like i didn't recognized the quality pieces that are there and ranked them 15-20...Cmon! Jeez...this will be a few pages only because i mentioned Detroit was in my top 5. Some of you don't agree, fine - can we move on now or is it that much of a sin?!

Forgot to mention: I'm not even a Detroit fan! I'm a Sens fan....'recycled" from the Nordiques back in the days eheh

Florida has better depth at all three positions, yet Detroit is ranked ahead of them in your eyes? Wow :amazed:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Well, that you have your own view is good and all, but when something is this obvious, Panthers prospect-pool being #1, then you just look stupid not even having them in your top5. You can argue all you want, but you are wrong. You could ask any scout and I can almost guarantee that everyone will have Cats pool in their top3.

Huberdeau (Memorial cup MVP, some scouts say he easily could have gone first in the draft)
Markstrom (Arguably the best goalie-prospect not in the NHL)
Gudbranson (A man among boys. A great defenseman prospect and a blue-chipper for the future).
Howden (Amazing skater, and scored 40 goals on a MJ team that wasn't anything more than a decent WHL team last year)
Bjugstad (A project, but his upside is sky-high. Looking like a Getzlaf-ish clone.
Shore (A great season, and a very underrated prospect around here.)
Petrovic (Amazing year for Red Deer, excellent in both ends and a good skater)
McFarland (Starting to produce more in the O. Might be the type of player that is more suited for the pro game with his shot and speed).
Grimaldi (Top10 talent in the draft, but fell cause of size and maybe because of his strong religion attachment).
Robak (Rochesters only good defenseman last year. Was great in juniors and has all the talent that is needed, only lacks a bit on the physical side)

And to this you can add Bengtsson, Brickley, Dadonov, Jenks, Timmins, Shaw, Trocheck, Hyman, Donskoi, Brittain, Comrie, Pacan++

No team comes anywhere close to this (maybe Sens) prospect-pool.

I agree. Its ridiculous to think that they wouldnt be in the top five, let alone ahead of Detroit. Rankings are based solely on people's opinions, and are wrong all the time, but its so obvious that Florida has the better prospects of two.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I agree. Its ridiculous to think that they wouldnt be in the top five, let alone ahead of Detroit. Rankings are based solely on people's opinions, and are wrong all the time, but its so obvious that Florida has the better prospects of two.

For me it all comes down to top end talent first, depth second to which Florida has 3 top enders.

I think Philly is a perfect example of a team that doesn't have good depth but 2 top end guys who I probably would rate in the 15-20 range just based on 2 guys

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who?

From what I saw, it was 100% RNH among those decided.

The difference between RNH and the 3 guys picked after him is not that great, I am guessing if you polled all GMs a couple might pick one of the other 3 guys first(although most probably would lean towards Larsson)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Personally I don't see why Chicago should be top 5..

1. Florida
2. NY Islanders
3. Edmonton
4. Ottawa
5. Los Angees

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I still don't get all the unhype around blues prospects.....

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Grachev
Allen
Rattie
McRae
Cole
Bishop
Sonne
Junland
Jaskin
Della Rovere
Ponich

A fairly deep pool of grit and talent.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I still don't get all the unhype around blues prospects.....

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Grachev
Allen
Rattie
McRae
Cole
Bishop
Sonne
Junland
Jaskin
Della Rovere
Ponich

A fairly deep pool of grit and talent.

Of the bunch I would only consider Tarasenko a top end prospect but even then the whole Russia thing scares me slightly(ie he will bolt in a couple years)

In terms what i would consider a top end prospect

Good chance they turn into a top line player(70+ points), 2 way second line player(60+), top pairing defenseman or #1 goalie

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
So Detroit was ranked 12th before the draft and added Jurco, Ouellette and Sproul. A couple teams ranked behind Detroit (MIN, OTT, and NJD) clearly leapfrogged Detroit. How does this add up to Detroit moving into the top 10? If your list of star prospects includes 3 second rounders from this year, who haven't proven anything since the draft, you've got serious depth issues.

Depth issues? Detroit? Really?

I think you're mistaken bud.

Detroit had a good draft. And those 3 mentioned are good prospects. We're doing a top 20-25 prospects poll on our board now. Take a gander. You might learn something.

One of those 2nd rounders, Ouellet, just got in at 16. Jurco was 8th. So no, the latest draft didn't make our prospect pool. But it certainly made it deeper. Other names that MIGHT make our top 20...... Andersson, Mrazek, Ferraro, McCollum, Marchenko, Backman, Larsson, Tvrdon, Nestrasil, Parkes....... So yeah, we got depth.

I don't jack about other prospect pools so I can't rank or argue rankings but if your team has a better pool then Detroits then, Congrats, youre in great shape, cause our rocks.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Even Florida fans are underrating Bjugstad. This kid is a gamer.

I'm not. I love this kid. He's going to be gigantic when he fills out and he's already a great talent. He improved leaps and bounds as the season wore on, he was just as good as any Minnesota forward by the end of the year. I don't know how anybody can't be sold on him. It seems three of Florida's college guys, including Drew Shore and Corban Knight, get very underrated by some fans of other teams.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Personally I don't see why Chicago should be top 5..

1. Florida
2. NY Islanders
3. Edmonton
4. Ottawa
5. Los Angees

Chicago's prospect pool is better than LA's. You have the Oilers at third and the only thing that seperates the Oilers and Hawks is RNH, without RNH the Hawks would have a better prospect pool than the Oilers.

Said it countless times, Chicago's prospect pool is extremely underrated on this board. The Hawks have had 9 first/second round picks the past 2 drafts. The Hawks could probably have a top 10 prospect pool just with the kids they've taken the past two years... and then when you add guys like Jeremy Morin, Dylan Olsen, Marcus Kruger, Brandon Pirri, Kyle Beach etc, to that mix and Chicago is without question a top 5 prospect pool in the NHL.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Of the bunch I would only consider Tarasenko a top end prospect but even then the whole Russia thing scares me slightly(ie he will bolt in a couple years)

In terms what i would consider a top end prospect

Good chance they turn into a top line player(70+ points), 2 way second line player(60+), top pairing defenseman or #1 goalie

You don't think Jaden Schwartz has a good chance to develop into one of those types?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Chicago's prospect pool is better than LA's. You have the Oilers at third and the only thing that seperates the Oilers and Hawks is RNH, without RNH the Hawks would have a better prospect pool than the Oilers.

A 1st overall pick is a pretty significant leapfrog.

Said it countless times, Chicago's prospect pool is extremely underrated on this board. The Hawks have had 9 first/second round picks the past 2 drafts. The Hawks could probably have a top 10 prospect pool just with the kids they've taken the past two years... and then when you add guys like Jeremy Morin, Dylan Olsen, Marcus Kruger, Brandon Pirri, Kyle Beach etc, to that mix and Chicago is without question a top 5 prospect pool in the NHL.

What matters is what players do after they're drafted.

I'd take LA's pool over Chicago's pretty handily. Better top end and depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad