Speculation: Teams most mentioned on players "No Go Lists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m born and raised in Winnipeg, and I’d say Winnipeg.

Winters are cold and dark.
Crime is a major problem.
The roads are ****.
During the summer it’s nice, but hockey season isn’t in the summer. And crime gets much worse in the summer...

I still love my Jets but I can understand why players wouldn’t want to live here.
Not saying you're wrong, but if you think Winnipeg has a " major crime problem", then you need to get out more.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
RIght now, Probably Ottawa, Arizona tied for first. Then Edmonton at third.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No Lucic came there because he was massively over paid and no one else offered him that much money and term.

Have you ever been to Winnipeg or Buffalo? I mean i assume youve been to Edmonton too. No way Ottawa is the clear cut worst from a quality of life standpoint. Ottawa is consistently rated one of the best cities to live in, in north america. Its safe, clean and close to major cities on the eastern coast. Obviously the worst place to go if a player is wanting to win at the moment but there is more to the decision than that.

Clearly Ottawa is not a destination but as an Oilers fan to have the first comment singling out a single city... Take a quick look in the mirror before pointing fingers is all im saying.

Apparently this is wrong. It has been reported that other teams offered him more. I'm guessing if that is true, it was the NMC that locked him in to Edmonton. But yes, Edmonton is likely on a lot of lists as well. An Oilers fan suggesting another city doesn't mean they are saying they wouldn't be on the list either, for what its worth. Ottawa and Edmonton would both be on the lists because of management - one has had buffoon GM's for over a decade, the other has an owner who won't spend to win.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I’m born and raised in Winnipeg, and I’d say Winnipeg.

Winters are cold and dark.
Crime is a major problem.
The roads are ****.
During the summer it’s nice, but hockey season isn’t in the summer. And crime gets much worse in the summer...

I still love my Jets but I can understand why players wouldn’t want to live here.
lol no... When winnipeg sucked I would agree with you. The winters can be brutal there. But now that theyre in the playoffs often, I would say its middle of the pack as far as player interest goes.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Exclude desirable cities like NYC
I imagine the top 5 right now would be:
NJD

Maybe they should study up on geography before making major multimillion dollar decisions? Prudential Center is *14 miles* from MSG. Whatever's 'desirable' about living in NYC... is easily reachable even if you happen to play your home games a few miles outside. One could even (gasp) live in NYC and play home games in NJ!

Reactions: MitchMurphy

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It was I remember seeing an interview with him wearing a McDavid shirt saying he wanted to play with the best player in the world. This would be my list.

EDM
MIN
OTT
NJ
BUF
What?? why minnesota?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Players get polled on this almost every year and Edmonton + Winnipeg are always the overwhelming favorites.

Though Ottawa might be catching up.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
EDM / OTT at the top

BUF / ARI next tier

After that you might see a few guys who put TOR / MTL, but not because of team success or city, they just don't want the spotlight of playing in intense hockey markets.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Sorry guys but players love Minnesota. Great place to raize a family, consistently competitive and good grassroots hockey. Plenty of NHLers make their home in Twin Cities in the summer.

For this list, Id say all the Canadian teams. Seems players prefer playing in the states

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If recent history has shown us anything it is the poorly run franchise, and the cult like media following teams that are at the tops of most players list. Then places where there is nothing to do or limited appeal to players of certain cultures.
So you have
The Canadian Teams because of the Media/Pressure that turns away most (some of it poor climate looking at you Winnipeg)
Arizona, Florida (panthers), Carolina, Detroit, and Columbus.
with the obvious Odd exception here or there. Those seem to be near the top of everyone's do not trade list (reportedly anyway)

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
As an Islanders fan I have to unfortunately say Long Island. Not many FA’s have signed here and until they break ground on the new arena(which hopefully will be soon) I don’t think many players like splitting time between Brooklyn and Nassau. Though the new leadership with Lou and Trotz and winning will hopefully squash my first sentence

Reactions: The Real JT

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Player poll had Vancouver as a top 5 destination. Swing and a miss!

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Buffalo, NYI are likely at the top of the list right now.

Montreal is the most electric barn to play in, in the league and has all that history no way they are up there. Some guys love the no pressure in Arizona and its sunny and warm.

Vancouver is top 5 to visit but other than that it is way less desirable than other cities in the USA.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It's been a little while since we had one of these and I think you can already see why these are never a good idea. Bash the market/city threads are never welcome additions. Closed.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad