Friedman: Teams like Henrique

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Sorry you want to move the 2024 1st ++ for a 33 year old bottom 6er? That has Foligno deal or worse written all over it.
You really are uneducated to the game of hockey or just have tunnel vision for your own team and don't want to look at other games or stats from around the league. Stop typing out non sense if you have literally no clue on what your talking about. Guy is almost a lock for 20 goals and 45 points every season while being a very good 2 way Center that can win faceoffs and responsible defensively, he can easily fit in on teams top 6 as he has the skill still or if needed slide down to a third line defensive role if needed. but he is way more effective and useful then Foligno at this stage in his Career period and a bargain of a contract Also. so yes he will easily fetch a late first or a 2nd and a B level prospect.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rico did so much for the community in NJ. Great locker room guy too from what I've heard. Favorite memory is the goal. Miss him.
I think the best fit for him is the devils to be honest…. He’d be great for the locker room and the young players

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Jack Drury + PHI 3rd for Henrique with $1 million retained

Drury is NHL ready and I think his game would compliment Anaheim's Center group well. He is a leader and a workhorse.
i think it’s an alright offer, prob hold off and see if a team offers a first.

Center wise we’re prob pretty packed does drury play wing at all.. I don’t think he beats out zegras mctavish Lundy…. And we prob have a top center in this draft + gaucher coming soo.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dealt this deadline, but it will be easier to trade him next year. A team would really have to want him enough to pay extra for retention next season and it wouldn't be cheap.

Also I think Ducks fans would be happy to keep him. We like him a lot.

Jets could use him and need no retention but I see a 10 team NTC :laugh:. Nevermind!

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jack Drury + PHI 3rd for Henrique with $1 million retained

Drury is NHL ready and I think his game would compliment Anaheim's Center group well. He is a leader and a workhorse.

Drury seems similar but less proven than what we already have in Lundestrom.

What the Ducks need to compliment their young forwards, are some bigger bodied wingers who can play. It's the biggest reason why we hesitate to want to give up on Comtois, he projects to be the type of player of which we need more.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

What the Ducks need to compliment their young forwards, are some bigger bodied wingers who can play. It's the biggest reason why we hesitate to want to give up on Comtois, he projects to be the type of player of which we need more.
Main reason I’d love to get a late 1st…. Should be some of those guys available with a late 1st and our 2nd.

I’d love to see us go all forwards with our first 3-4 picks

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
i think it’s an alright offer, prob hold off and see if a team offers a first.

Center wise we’re prob pretty packed does drury play wing at all.. I don’t think he beats out zegras mctavish Lundy…. And we prob have a top center in this draft + gaucher coming soo.

That makes sense. Carolina has smaller forwards that play a heavy game in Ponomarev and Rees. They have Gunler who is big but not physical.

Gleb Trikozov is bigger with a heavier game and talented. But I'm not sure how Anaheim feels about getting Russian prospects over.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That makes sense. Carolina has smaller forwards that play a heavy game in Ponomarev and Rees. They have Gunler who is big but not physical.

Gleb Trikozov is bigger with a heavier game and talented. But I'm not sure how Anaheim feels about getting Russian prospects over.
Guess we’ll see how the draft falls if we go for michkov.

We did draft Mintyukov last year, and galimov the year before so I don’t think we are against them like we used to be.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Hasn't Henrique mostly been a winger these last couple of years? He's basically been used as a winger that takes faceoffs. So not sure if teams still view him as a center.

I do like him though and think he would be a solid add for a playoff team.

Well, a winger that is good at faceoffs checks the box for the playoffs anyway..

I might be wrong, but him being used as a winger instead of center might be more about being more of a goalscorer than a playmaker than because he's a defensive liability.

Because my impression is he's a good all around hockey player.

Am I correct?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well, a winger that is good at faceoff checks the box for the playoffs anyway..

I might be wrong, but him being used as a winger instead of center might be more about being more of a goalscorer than a playmaker than because he's a defensive liability.

Am I correct?

Pretty much this

He plays wing mostly because zegras and mctavish don’t play well on wing… and Henrique does fine there.

If zegras didn’t look so bad on the wing I imagine Henrique would be centering his line.

I think it’s a plus that he shows he’s capable of playing center or wing comfortably, allows teams to move him to top 6 winger when trying to load up top 6. He’s just an all around good compliment to any line up and locker room.

The big concern is how much will the ducks retain to make it plausible for contenders, and how much those teams will pay

Reactions: samsagat

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Well, a winger that is good at faceoffs checks the box for the playoffs anyway..

Am I correct?

I'd say somewhat correct. Henrique isn't any sort of a liability defensively and is a solid all around player as you said.

The Ducks have always moved him back and forth between center and wing depending on the needs of the roster over the years. When they were still aiming to contend, he mostly played center. Now that their focus in the past couple years has been squarely on developing their top young players, Henrique is most often lined up as a winger beside one of the two top young centers. But even then, it's more of a winger/center hybrid role and he's quite often fulfilling a centers usual duties in the defensive end.

Reactions: samsagat

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Have always like Rees game. The Ducks aversion to Russian prospects lasted a decade but appears to be over, ironic timing really.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Jets could use him and need no retention but I see a 10 team NTC :laugh:. Nevermind!
There was an interview with the Athletic recently where he acknowledged that he could get traded this year and seemed fine with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's willing to waive to go to any playoff team with how bad it is in Anaheim right now:

On his style of play and where he would fit on a contender:

“I feel like my game is that kind of complete game,” he said. “I can play up the lineup if need be. I can play down the lineup. And on those good teams, there’s some great players that if you go there, you’re most likely not playing on the first line. They’re going for it. Those teams are filled with superstar guys. But I feel like my game, I can play anywhere and play different roles in different situations need be and fill in.”

On where the Ducks are currently at and where he is at in his career:

“Pat (Verbeek) has a great vision for the future here in the next number of years,” he said. “But now I’m in a different spot where I’m the veteran guy. Again, contract situations — all that kind of comes back into play. I don’t really worry about that stuff too much. I just try to focus on my game and let that stuff take care of itself. Control what I can control. Wait and see what happens.

“Just try to leave a good impression for the young guys here or the guys that I’m playing with or the staff. Whoever it is if I’m not here in a couple of years.”

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Henrique seems like the best option the Avs have left to fill their 2C spot with Toews and O'Reilly both off the board, wouldnt be surprised to see them push hard for him. I'd love for the Bruins to be in on him as well, as middle 6 depth, but it'd be tough for us to make the money work.
Granlund (nashville) is alsoa vers good option

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Seems like a likeable enough guy
Apparently all 32 GMs received the following note from Elliotte:

1677174989233.png

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If the ducks retain him to 2.9-4 range I think he becomes super appealing to a lot of teams, and that 2nd year becomes a big bonus.

Super versatile and a good locker room vet…. I think the devils and avs make most sense. Bruins and canes up there too.

Devils I’m not sure arent ready to make all in type moves tho, prob happy just to make the playoffs.

Really just a matter of whether the Ducks are willing to go there, tying up the retention for 2 years. Plus, spending the actual cash. But if the return for Henrique is good enough, seems like it'd probably be worth it.

I'd certainly reckon he's worth more with retention than their prized summer "flipping Klingberg" project.

At $4M...ehhh, that second year is probably "okay". At $3-3.5M though, it does start to become a potential bonus. Especially for teams wanting cost-certainty going forward, or not quite ready to go "all-in" with pure rentals this year.

A lot of teams that would certainly make sense for him at that point.

The Avs to me, absolutely fit like a glove. It'd give them exactly what they need, with some cost-certainty and they don't have to go hunting for a #2C again next year. They've got the pieces to support him and a pretty glaring need for a guy like him.

But the real appeal of Henrique is that he's super easy to integrate into a lineup. If you can get the cap number down to something that fits, as a player...he's so easy to plug in wherever you need. So pretty much any playoff team could use him.

-Devils, that extra year might be appealing if they think this is just the beginning of their window opening. But i feel like he's not exactly what they might be looking for. Seems like they might be after more of a "high end finisher", where they already have a version of Henrique in Haula.

-Bruins, i can see the appeal of adding that versatile depth to load up for a last run with Bergeron/Krejci...and then have at least something in place for next year, if they are in fact done after this.

-Carolina, they've also tended to be partial to guys who aren't pure rentals. But like the Devils, seems like they might be more in the market for a guy to do what Pacioretty was supposed to, as a top-end offensive player. Maybe they go out and get both, as they could certainly use another middle-6 guy who can play center like Henrique. Get that offensive player in a separate deal?

-Dallas, to me would be the other really good, natural fit. They've got a pretty noticeable hole in their Top-9 that a guy like Henrique would fill nicely. Would fit with some of the flexibility they seem to like in their lineup outside that "top line" to reshuffle things day-to-day.

-Edmonton, is the real wildcard to me. I think Henrique would get a real top notch target for them, if the cap can be whittled down enough, and/or Puljujarvi jettisoned the other way to make it work. He'd kinda kill several birds with one stone for them. A guy who could easily flow with things whether they want him at Center if they're stacking up McDrai and still want to be 3 deep down the middle, or easily shift to the wing otherwise. Take some defensive zone draws, kill some penalties, bring some responsible play wherever they put him. Plus, an extra year of reasonable salary would help with their situation on that front as well. Weirdly seems like they're more interested in Klingberg instead though...so...:dunno:

But really...he'd fit on any playoff team. It's just a matter of whether the return gets big enough for Anaheim to commit to the retention next year too. With Horvat and ROR gone, and Toews semi-retired now...i do think there's a chance that ratchets up a bidding war to where it'd make sense.

The other consideration is obviously...do the Ducks want to remove a guy like Henrique? Or do they want to just keep the guy and let him continue to be an insulating piece and set a positive example for the young guys?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
The other consideration is obviously...do the Ducks want to remove a guy like Henrique? Or do they want to just keep the guy and let him continue to be an insulating piece and set a positive example for the young guys?
It comes down to how badly Verbeek wants to solidify our chances at a top 3 draft pick and a chance at Bedard this season. Trading away Henrique will definitely make the team a lot worse, and if he could add a 1st round pick in the draft this year... yeah it could make a lot of sense for the Ducks right now.

Reactions: biturbo19

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Whoever gets him won’t regret it. He is the type of guy that you want in the playoffs. Enough skill to score and works hard on defense.

He will be asset for next year too. Probably can get just as much next year when you flip him.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Carolina has a history of betting on guys coming off injuries (Pacioretty) and injured rentals going into the Playoffs (Vatanen).

Hasn't worked out great for them. But I think they would still be interested here. Henrique plays their style naturally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad