Dreger: Teams interested in Viktor Olofsson

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
And to follow on this: It's not like Olofsson isn't a WILLING defender....he tries and is actually a pretty solid backchecker/puckhound on the rush. He's just not very good at reading the play in his own zone and reacting to it. He'd do just fine in a system where he has a defined role in the defensive zone.
I'm not advocating for VO in Carolina, but the Canes play a tight structure and are one of the few teams that play man-to-man in their own zone. So that may alleviate some of his read issues.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Anyone buying Olofsson will have buyer’s remorse the moment he steps on the ice for them. He is a worse skating version of dzingel
I'd be pretty worried if the Sabres traded him to someone like the Islanders his skills actually fit pretty well with a guy like Barzal.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Olofsson has another level wrt board play and passing that he showed in spurts. Hopefully a new situation can get him back there

Reactions: Digable5

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Niche skill sets are only great if they bring actual value to a team. For as good as his goal scoring is, his play reading, skating, and defense just as equally bad. there isnt value there. analytics or no analytics.
Olofsson's niche skillset is the most valuable niche skillset in hockey

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I find it hilarious given that it's "draft season" where fans drool over these types of prospects and scoff at the notion, "all he does is score". Then, when that actual player is available...to the tune of a pretty reliable ~30G per season and literally nothing else...suddenly he's a bum and nobody wants him. :laugh:

I think it's an interesting object lesson in what "upside" really means. 30G upside sounds amazing. But the reality is less exciting.

Basically the modern day Radim Vrbata. Scores goals with a wicked collection of shots. That is all.

I do still think there are teams that could benefit from that, if applied correctly and expectations overall are kept in check. Just isn't the sort of player that tends to end up in a bidding war. Usually more the sort of player that a fringe/bubble team signs to try to give them that extra little boost to get them over the edge into the playoffs.

Flames, Preds, Penguins, maybe Wings all come to mind as possibilities.

Reactions: Digable5

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Which team is well centered but lacks scoring and cannot afford top shelf players? I would love to see him in Carolina.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Because even at 50% he is a negative asset. Poor skater and doesn’t play defense. Why pay for a guy who may play 8 minutes a night on the 4th line?

This narrative is ridiculous and keeps being repeated by posters that have never really even watched Olofsson play a game. Someone says it, someone else repeats it, and all of a sudden, false narratives are fact on HF.

Olofsson had a really bad year. He played on the third line all season and never found any chemistry with linemates, but still potted 28 goals. He is currently lost in Granatos system, but to say he can't skate and he doesn't try on D is just false. Watch the video below, watch his backcheck in the first 3 seconds of the video, and tell me he doesn't play D and can't skate.

Reactions: Zman5778

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is just another Athanasiou. One dimensional "scorer" who doesn't score that much and sucks at defence. You would think if offence is your only good thing, you would be better at it. 40-50 pts and -15to -25 is not a player most teams need or want.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
This narrative is ridiculous and keeps being repeated by posters that have never really even watched Olofsson play a game. Someone says it, someone else repeats it, and all of a sudden, false narratives are fact on HF.

Olofsson had a really bad year. He played on the third line all season and never found any chemistry with linemates, but still potted 28 goals. He is currently lost in Granatos system, but to say he can't skate and he doesn't try on D is just false. Watch the video below, watch his backcheck in the first 3 seconds of the video, and tell me he doesn't play D and can't skate.

He looks like a black hole there, or is the vid just not loading?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He was also -23 to get those 28 goals. How much benefit do 28 goals do when you also are -23? He also racked up that bad of a plus minus while not even hitting the 15 minute a night mark. Imagine giving him any more ice time.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
He was also -23 to get those 28 goals. How much benefit do 28 goals do when you also are -23? He also racked up that bad of a plus minus while not even hitting the 15 minute a night mark. Imagine giving him any more ice time.
Imagine refering to plus/minus in 2023. If you don't want him what is your point?
Crapping on the player? Let's talk about Zadina.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Imagine refering to plus/minus in 2023. If you don't want him what is your point?
Crapping on the player? Let's talk about Zadina.

Go ahead, talk about Zadina, doesn't bother me one iota. Plus/minus is a valid stat when within your own team, and he was well ahead of everyone that wasn't a defender and plays not that many minutes. It was giving an opinion on a player on a discussion forum. You know the thing we all do on this discussion forum. Just cause you don't like an honest assessment of the player, doesn't mean it is crapping on him. AA played for the Wings and he is very much the same kind of player as Olofsson.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
A little bit of context that seems to be overlooked at times about Olofsson:

- The Sabres are LOADED at the forward position. The reason why he was benched and could see himself getting traded is that they have all of the offensive fire power that they need and have to make room for rookies/players that bring size, penalty killing, variety, etc... (Greenway) that is currently missing from the roster.

- Previous Sabres' coach Ralph Krueger either benched Jeff Skinner or put him on the fourth line because "other players did a better job of following his principles". I bring this up because, the "defense/team principles" coach never had a problem with Olofsson. And, the free wheeling, do what you do best coach in Don Granato let him focus on scoring goals. The effort and team play is there but the fit/ability might be subpar.

- Allowing too many goals has been a team problem for the Sabres. They allowed the 7th most goals against and its not all Olofsson's fault. Goaltending, defense and young roster were all contributing factors. As others have said, on a team that can better shelter his deficiencies his metrics would look a ton better.

- He played the third line and 2nd PP with 21 of 28 goals coming from even strength. Tage Thompson scored 27 even strength goals from the 1st line with Skinner and Tuch and playing 3 more games.

- If he were a more complete player he probably wouldn't even be available at only $4,750,000 for 1 more season. Assuming the Sabres retain salary, he has value. I think he will garner a 3rd. Trying to turn him into an NHL ready asset seems unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad