Weekes: Teams interested in Jake Allen

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Allen is not going anywhere because Price is a total gamble.

If the Habs trade him then it's going to be impossible to motivate the youngsters since the team is saying that we are intending to tank. Terrible for team spirit and development.

I seriously doubt the Habs are going to do this just to help some other team....unless it's a ridiculous offer.

A 2nd? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
If the Habs can sign Samsonov, then I'd deal Allen. Then just have him and Montembeault if Price can't go.

Allows us to get assets for him and get a younger Samsonov in net not costing any assets. While gaining some for Allen who is a steady 1B and can help any team in net.

For some reason I could just see a Murray and Allen tandem in Toronto both going 41 games each.

Montreal could take on Holl and and a sweetener to help facilitate it cap wise.

Holl fills in a spot on the right side on defense for the Habs with a potential departure of Petry.

Then opens the door for a similar situation at the deadline like Dadonov, Drouin, Byron. Holl being a UFA year get more assets back.

Reactions: malcb33

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A
If the Habs can sign Samsonov, then I'd deal Allen. Then just have him and Montembeault if Price can't go.

Allows us to get assets for him and get a younger Samsonov in net not costing any assets. While gaining some for Allen who is a steady 1B and can help any team in net.

For some reason I could just see a Murray and Allen tandem in Toronto both going 41 games each.

Holl fills in a spot on the right side on defense for the Habs with a potential departure of Petry.

Then opens the door for a similar situation at the deadline like Dadonov, Drouin, Byron. Holl being a UFA year get more assets back.
Lot of interesting options Montreal has with Allen. Or they could keep him until deadline. Still get a 2nd then

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Finding a goalie to tandem with Montembeault is the easiest move Hughes will have to make. As the worst team in the league last year, Montreal is first for waiver claims so they will have their choice of every team's 3rd goalie that needs to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A

Lot of interesting options Montreal has with Allen. Or they could keep him until deadline. Still get a 2nd then

I think Allen is a very solid goalie and on a better team, he provides more value than HF board posters will admit. He's likely the best available goalie when you factor in cap hit.

Teams are calling for sure. Habs are in a interesting spot with Price. If Allen is traded, don't be surprised if we get a 1st in that deal. Supply/demand/cap space is a major issue and Allen has loads of value

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Allen is a good goalie. Montreal needs trade him for a 2nd round pick. Rebuild just started and we need to have a chance at Bedard. Or at the very least top 3 pick.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Allen is a good goalie. Montreal needs trade him for a 2nd round pick. Rebuild just started and we need to have a chance at Bedard. Or at the very least top 3 pick.
Allen is too good for a team to tank?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty much this, yeah.

If Price is on LTIR, I'd be OK with Monty and Primeau in another tank year. I believe Price will play 20-40 games this year.

Sigh the Hamburger again if you need to. We should not go after Samsonov IMO.... even if Allen is traded.

Putting words in my mouth. He simply does not help. And why not get a decent return for him when we are rebuilding.

If we trade Allen, we are getting more than just a 2nd rounder. His value in this goalie market / limited cap space is high due to the low cap hit. There is a reason why teams are calling... cap space vs value you get. A brilliant signing by Bergevin. Allen as a UFA this summer gets way more than $2.8M.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If Price is on LTIR, I'd be OK with Monty and Primeau in another tank year. I believe Price will play 20-40 games this year.

Sigh the Hamburger again if you need to. We should not go after Samsonov IMO.... even if Allen is traded.

If we trade Allen, we are getting more than just a 2nd rounder. His value in this goalie market is high due to the low cap hit.
I very much doubt we are tanking. And certainly not in a sense that we're going to start the season with Sam frigging Montembeault as our #1 goalie. Primeau needs a full year in the AHL if he is ever to develop into a legitimate NHL player.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I very much doubt we are tanking. And certainly not in a sense that we're going to start the season with Sam frigging Montembeault as our #1 goalie. Primeau needs a full year in the AHL if he is ever to develop into a legitimate NHL player.

Fair but depends on the offers for Allen and what Price is telling them about his knee after that injection he got a month ago.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I think the smart thing to do is low key tank. Starts with trading Allen while he has good value. Zero point in keeping him with such a good draft coming up. No secret teams that will not be competing this year will want a shot at Bedard and company.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think the smart thing to do is low key tank. Starts with trading Allen while he has good value. Zero point in keeping him with such a good draft coming up. No secret teams that will not be competing this year will want a shot at Bedard and company.
Potentially going into the season without an NHL-caliber goalie is not a low key tank. It's an insanity and the surest way to destroy the cohesion of your locker room. It's not going to happen.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Potentially going into the season without an NHL-caliber goalie is not a low key tank. It's an insanity and the surest way to destroy the cohesion of your locker room. It's not going to happen.
Teams trade players all the time knowing they will not be competitive. It's not like this is a new concept. Part of the business and being a pro. It's no secret this team is not ready to compete. Main goal should be to get max value for players over a certain age. Regardless of the position they play.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I like the trade idea but Habs won't be trading Allen at 50%. $2.8M is low enough for what you get.
If it takes 50% retention to create more value for teams like Toronto or Edmonton, I'm all for it. The trade needs to help the cause though, so it needs to be a high pick or solid prospect coming back.

Allen would be an excellent plan B for goalies like Cambell or Murray as he can amicably hold down a starters role if need be

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Honestly with the exception of Suzuki, Anderson and Caulfield, what locker room is there to worry about cohesion in? All the rest are dead man walking from what I can see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad