Friedman: Teams interested in Evan Rodrigues

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why? Because at the bottom end of lineup the Sabres have more depth than Leafs

What are you basing that on? I sure hope you aren't over rating your team off a hot start like a lot of fans did last year before the Sabres crashed and burned. Leafs bottom 6 has been incredible.[/QUOTE]

I don’t see them trading Rodrigues on his own. He could be part of a larger multiplayer trade done.

He’s an RFA after the year.

Buffalo has 5 UFA forwards in Larsson, Girgrnsins, Vesey, Sobotka, and Sherry. They likely resign Larsson and/or girgrnsons

Young pkayers to promote next year... Thompson, Asplund, Ruoatsalianen, Cozens, Pekar, and others.

Right now it appears him and Vesey and Sobotka are the 11th and 12th forwards in the line up.

Later this year Buffalo could trade for a top 9 forward using their defense as trade bait.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Scandella + ERod for Toffoli. Change of scenery for the forwards with a bottom 4 defenseman to even things out.

I know Scandy and TT have been discussed, maybe ERod is a good sweetener.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
What are his strengths? Edmonton desperately needs something going in its bottom 6

Good bottom six playmaker, undersized, can play all three forward positions, good enough to be plugged into the top line on a pinch, but also isn't good enough to demand ice time either. He's mostly been the 13th forward this year and hasn't done anything to endear himself to Buffalo fans when he has gotten the chance to play

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

What are you basing that on? I sure hope you aren't over rating your team off a hot start like a lot of fans did last year before the Sabres crashed and burned. Leafs bottom 6 has been incredible.[/QUOTE]

I said bottom. Leafs signed Spezza. LOL. How much depth can you have, if you sign him. Nick Shore? I'm not disputing the top 6, though their two-way play is debatable, but there are lots of questions about Leafs depth. That's the weakness, not Marner, Tavares, Matthews. We won't even talk about how soft they are. Okay?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
He's a try hard tweener with low IQ and a tendency to fall down, maybe serviceable on bad teams with flashes of competency, but pretty much a hole in your lineup if you want to be good. Have at it

Reactions: BananaSquad

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What are you basing that on? I sure hope you aren't over rating your team off a hot start like a lot of fans did last year before the Sabres crashed and burned. Leafs bottom 6 has been incredible.

I said bottom. Leafs signed Spezza. LOL. How much depth can you have, if you sign him. Nick Shore? I'm not disputing the top 6, though their two-way play is debatable, but there are lots of questions about Leafs depth. That's the weakness, not Marner, Tavares, Matthews. We won't even talk about how soft they are. Okay?[/QUOTE]

Spezza has been an extra forward most of the year. When Spezza is an extra you are pretty good.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I said bottom. Leafs signed Spezza. LOL. How much depth can you have, if you sign him. Nick Shore? I'm not disputing the top 6, though their two-way play is debatable, but there are lots of questions about Leafs depth. That's the weakness, not Marner, Tavares, Matthews. We won't even talk about how soft they are. Okay?

Spezza has been an extra forward most of the year. When Spezza is an extra you are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Is this for real? Spezza? Do you mean from a decade ago? He can take a faceoff now. That's it. Ottawa passed on him. He's making $700,000. That should tell you something. He won't even make one NHL team next year. He's done.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Spezza has been an extra forward most of the year. When Spezza is an extra you are pretty good.

Is this for real? Spezza? Do you mean from a decade ago? He can take a faceoff now. That's it. Ottawa passed on him. He's making $700,000. That should tell you something. He won't even make one NHL team next year. He's done.[/QUOTE]

I mean, if you have to nitpick the Leafs extra forward then you are REALLY stretching in your argument.

Reactions: Chainshot

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I didn’t know pageau “set the world on fire” himself... hmmm...

pageau baring an injury or a total collapse will return a 2nd. Thats been the low end for a good 3rd line center. There is potential for the return to go higher. Pageau has been playing top 6 minutes for Ottawa but that is only because Ottawa sucks this year.

Either way a solid 3rd lien center, who can chip in offensively and is a solid defensive forward/penalty killer. Not to mention he seems to step up his game in the playoffs.

So yeah he has proven more, plays center and will probably have more teams interested in trading for him. I don't see Rodrigues having 2nd round pick value (at least right now he could bounce back) and his slow start to the season has done nothing to increase his value

so yeah there is definitely a difference in value between the players but please go ahead and say otherwise

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
What are his strengths? Edmonton desperately needs something going in its bottom 6
He is a smart player, has his moments, but needs a little more size, speed, grit, which at this point in his career, he ain't getting. Classic tweener, too good for the AHL, not good enough to play consistently in the NHL.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Friedman was saying on a local Buffalo show today that a few teams were taking a hard look at him last season and are still interested ..

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like I've seen him play some center. Is he any good at it?

The Oilers could desperately use a bottom six center with a bit of skill right now.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

No they dont, they just have more depth players lol. The Sabres have 3 legit top 6 forwards lol[/QUOTE]
Marjo and Mitts are probably top 6ers on most non playoff teams. Mojo is a beast and played very well during Boston’s run. Mitts isn’t a top 6 C yet but would do well on Eichel or Skinners wing. Tage Thompson is developing nicely in the AHL and will be a top 6er by the end of the year. Let’s not get crazy with hyperbole.

You’d also be hard-pressed to a better 4th line than Buffalo’s LOG line.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He makes two million. It would have to be like for like in salaries unless there is a bigger deal.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Could he be an option in a Toffoli swap? Toffoli ab upcoming UFA, while Rodrigues is an RFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad