Friedman: Teams interested in Evan Rodrigues

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
[QUOTE
Why are the Sabres trading him? Every game I catch he is good.[/QUOTE]

Why? Because at the bottom end of lineup the Sabres have more depth than Leafs

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would like to see deals around these guys, possibly with the addition of picks: Kapanen, Pageau.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was just about to say the Leafs would take him. Another guy like Hyman who busts his ass and works hard. Would love to have him but salary likely doesn't work.

Why are the Sabres trading him? Every game I catch he is good.

Not exactly sure where he would fit in a full Leafs lineup. Definitely not above the 4th line, and 2 mill is way too expensive for a guy who is probably not much of an upgrade over Timashov/Moore (despite being 3x the price).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So picks will be key factor in the deal.
You said no to a first.

A 2nd doesn't make up the difference between a smallish 26 year old F with a career high of 29 pts and a 23 45 pt guy. I get you want to get a better player than the one you are giving up, but the 2 particular guys you mentioned are TOO much better for the price you are willing to pay.

If you don't like the sticker price, shop at a different place.

Reactions: sjci

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's had a terrible start to the season just like the last two seasons. It makes zero sense for a team that lacks depth at forward to trade away an average asset when he's also at his lowest point value wise. I'd rather keep the depth than add a 4th round pick. If Buffalo was concerned about adding picks they could have not wasted their time with Vesey instead.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You said no to a first.

A 2nd doesn't make up the difference between a smallish 26 year old F with a career high of 29 pts and a 23 45 pt guy. I get you want to get a better player than the one you are giving up, but the 2 particular guys you mentioned are TOO much better for the price you are willing to pay.

If you don't like the sticker price, shop at a different place.
Pageau ends contract in the summer, Ottawa is in distress and may agree to a choice and a medium prospect. Many times I saw how Toronto fans do not really appreciate Kapanen back in the summer and were ready to give it almost to the end of the first round, maybe this has changed, but I say it as it is.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What are his strengths? Edmonton desperately needs something going in its bottom 6
A universal forward who can play a winger or a center can play decently on a PK, lacks physical strength and for some reason this season didn’t look very good, unlike the last two seasons. In general, the player for bottom 6 is 30-35 points per season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pageau ends contract in the summer, Ottawa is in distress and may agree to a choice and a medium prospect. Many times I saw how Toronto fans do not really appreciate Kapanen back in the summer and were ready to give it almost to the end of the first round, maybe this has changed, but I say it as it is.

We actually appreciate him a lot, but he's also a guy who is expendable in the right deal. I don't know anyone who has said Kapanen is worth less than a late first or a couple of quality 2nd round picks, but he usually is used in a package to get a top 4 RD. Same with Johnsson. Marner and Nylander are up for trade too, but that doesn't mean we do not expect the appropriate bounty to be coming the other way.

We wouldn't move Kapanen for Rodrigues unless a 2nd and probably another pick was tacked onto him, and even then it would only be done because we need cap room for something else.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
[QUOTE
Why are the Sabres trading him? Every game I catch he is good.

Why? Because at the bottom end of lineup the Sabres have more depth than Leafs[/QUOTE]

What are you basing that on? I sure hope you aren't over rating your team off a hot start like a lot of fans did last year before the Sabres crashed and burned. Leafs bottom 6 has been incredible.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Why? Because at the bottom end of lineup the Sabres have more depth than Leafs

What are you basing that on? I sure hope you aren't over rating your team off a hot start like a lot of fans did last year before the Sabres crashed and burned. Leafs bottom 6 has been incredible.[/QUOTE]

There is no overrating based on last year. This team is totally different from last years 10 win in a row team.

Added: Brandon Montour, Colin Miller, Jimmy Vesey, Henri Jokiharju, Victor Olofsson, Marcus Johansson and of course the most important change Ralph Krueger. The Sabres literally improved 6 of the 18 skaters in the lineup. That is 33% of the roster upgraded and not just tiny upgrades. Sabres have added 3 top 4 dmen, a legit top 6 center, a guy who will be fighting for the Calder and Vesey, who while off to a very slow start has scored 50 goals the last 3 years combined. Not to mention a year of development for Dahlin and Mittelstadt.

This Sabre team will prove everyone wrong in November. 20 points and a top 3 record in the league the first month of the season isn't enough but after November when they are still in a playoff spot will.

As for ERod I would hope to bundle him with Scandella and return a quality asset. A good prospect or a 2nd+3rd. Scandella alone should return a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->