Friedman: Teams have started kicking around on Morgan Frost

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
yes they have controlled stats play, and they have looked competitive. they bash everyone in their reasonable path.

but they are losing the goals against battle. and their finish versus their competition is not competitive at all.

I would argue this line is present for in-seats fans, to get back some credibility. And it is a terrible bet, as it has no lasting lustre.
Other teams would love to have 4th lines that control play while bashing heads in.

That’s kind of what a 4th line is supposed to do

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Other teams would love to have 4th lines that control play while bashing heads in.

That’s kind of what a 4th line is supposed to do
Control play, lol. while being outscored completely?
and giving no young players a chance to break into the lineup, because you're so one-dimensional? and you cannot afford to play certain players with your 4th line?

No. No. No.

Flyers 4th line is a huge pointless exercise.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
and giving no young players a chance to break into the lineup, because you're so one-dimensional? and you cannot afford to play certain players with your 4th line?

No. No. No.

Post didn't age real well. I'm guessing you're a big fantasy hockey player but not big on watching the actual games.

There's a reason players like Deslauriers and Hathaway are valued by coaches and their teammates, and often play on winning teams.

Look at Kaprizov's numbers with and without Deslauriers on the Wild. Do you think the Hughes brothers wouldn't love to have a guy like Miles Wood still in the lineup in New Jersey?

Young players like Brink, Foerster, Cates and Tippett are flourishing in Philadelphia. There is plenty of room for them and the Deslauriers line.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

No. No. No.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the 4th line yet AGAIN impacting the game big time last night?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Do you watch the games? Did you see the 4th line yet AGAIN impacting the game big time last night?

The 4th had a nice game last night--Poehling played like a madman after a couple games in the press box and drove their offense.

But 44 is still a massive weak link. Late 1st period, they had one of their GRINDING shifts where they all end up beneath the goal line hitting stuff, and then when they finally got the puck after 15 seconds, Deslauriers just ended up turning it over for a Sabres breakout where Dahlin ripped one off the crossbar. He doesn't have the patience/vision to turn a puck recovery into an opportunity or the skill to get it cleanly back to a defenseman. He turns offensive zone time into opposing rushes constantly and doesn't defend all that well in his own end.

As I've said before, Poehling and Hathaway are perfectly good 4th liners. But Deslauriers is one big goofy black hole. When the lineup is healthy, sliding Laughton or Cates onto that 4th with Poehling and Hathaway probably turns that into a fantastic unit--and also keeps a 4th line offensive talent off the top 2 lines.

Post didn't age real well. I'm guessing you're a big fantasy hockey player but not big on watching the actual games.

There's a reason players like Deslauriers and Hathaway are valued by coaches and their teammates, and often play on winning teams.

Look at Kaprizov's numbers with and without Deslauriers on the Wild. Do you think the Hughes brothers wouldn't love to have a guy like Miles Wood still in the lineup in New Jersey?

Young players like Brink, Foerster, Cates and Tippett are flourishing in Philadelphia. There is plenty of room for them and the Deslauriers line.

Watched every game of Deslauriers' Flyers career. This post is wild.

1. Deslauriers is not Miles Wood. Wood can skate and produce decent 4th line offense. He has nearly 30 more of them than Nic D in almost 200 fewer career games. Wood has posted 20+ points in 5 of his 6 full NHL seasons. Deslauriers has 0 in 9 years, and has only paced to do so once. Granted, Wood plays more minutes per night—but that's because he actually has utility and isn't a liability.

2. Kaprizov played 20 career games in the same lineup as Nic Deslauriers, they came at the end of Kirrill's 108 point season. During those 20 games, he had 29 points. He had 79 in the other 61 games, so that's a PPG difference of about .16. Are you seriously attributing that to a 4th liner he played 6 career minutes with? Not that he was a superstar in a stretch run to the playoffs—it was Nic D!

Deslauriers seems like a great dude and teammate, but he's just not a very effective NHL player. If the Flyers didn't have anyone else to play there—like now, with Couturier hurt—then fine, but he draws the ire when the team is fully healthy and there's a guy like Frost in the press box and a guy like Laughton or Cates on the 2nd line.

Last edited:
Reactions: chadateit

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The 4th had a nice game last night--Poehling played like a madman after a couple games in the press box and drove their offense.

But 44 is still a massive weak link. Late 1st period, they had one of their GRINDING shifts where they all end up beneath the goal line hitting stuff, and then when they finally got the puck after 15 seconds, Deslauriers just ended up turning it over for a Sabres breakout where Dahlin ripped one off the crossbar. He doesn't have the patience/vision to turn a puck recovery into an opportunity or the skill to get it cleanly back to a defenseman. He turns offensive zone time into opposing rushes constantly and doesn't defend all that well in his own end.

As I've said before, Poehling and Hathaway are perfectly good 4th liners. But Deslauriers is one big goofy black hole. When the lineup is healthy, sliding Laughton or Cates onto that 4th with Poehling and Hathaway probably turns that into a fantastic unit--and also keeps a 4th line offensive talent off the top 2 lines.

Watched every game of Deslauriers' Flyers career. This post is wild.

1. Deslauriers is not Miles Wood. Wood can skate and produce decent 4th line offense. He has nearly 30 more of them than Nic D in almost 200 fewer career games. Wood has posted 20+ points in 5 of his 6 full NHL seasons. Deslauriers has 0 in 9 years, and has only paced to do so once. Granted, Wood plays more minutes per night—but that's because he actually has utility and isn't a liability.

2. Kaprizov played 20 career games in the same lineup as Nic Deslauriers, they came at the end of Kirrill's 108 point season. During those 20 games, he had 29 points. He had 79 in the other 61 games, so that's a PPG difference of about .16. Are you seriously attributing that to a 4th liner he played 6 career minutes with? Not that he was a superstar in a stretch run to the playoffs—it was Nic D!

Deslauriers seems like a great dude and teammate, but he's just not a very effective NHL player. If the Flyers didn't have anyone else to play there—like now, with Couturier hurt—then fine, but he draws the ire when the team is fully healthy and there's a guy like Frost in the press box and a guy like Laughton or Cates on the 2nd line.

Pretty great shift for a 4th line black hole, starting with the big hit right at the beginning

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Quoted & Bolded for emphasis.

They are plenty of hockey attributes that simply cannot be measured. Stat bois will never come to terms with it but it’s fact.

The Flyer's 4th line is quite simply disconnected from the Flyer's purposes, of building for the future. Until someone from the team clarifies how important it is, and how playing 3 nothings for the future on a purely physical 4th line helps everything else out.

Yes, I watched the 4th line impact the game last night. To me, it's the same old shit...(1) they hit everything that moves. And that play style leaves little to no opportunity for anyone else to play with them from Flyer-land (Laughton? Allison) (2) The are usually on the losing side of the scoring ledger...whatever in a Flyer's season where many would prefer losing. But no pretending they are breaking even.

Let me try to be more subtle...the Flyer's 4th line can be an effective dee-zone or o-zone starter for Torts. But they cannot sustain anything with confidence. ANd they cannot allow any random player to fill in lest their value get killed, or that player get killed. It is lowest value bullshit. And whenever a player like say Morgan Frost doesn't play, I immediately think "hmm. couldn't Poelhing.Deslaurier.Hathawaty sit for him instead? PLus whatever players to make up a real NHL line to support Frost's skills, could they play?"

Let's be clear. Flyers are not winning any games because Hatahaway Deslaurier and Poehling are patrolling on the 4th line for 10 minutes a game. They're not really losing because of it either. But when it comes time to allocate ice time, the 4th line should always be the group that gets benched. Period,

Or something like that.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers 4th line don't control play. They have terrible shot attempt metrics, and terrible goal metrics.

The Flyers are not a winning team with Nic D on board. They're a .457 team - good for 26th overall. And the team has been outscored 34-20 at ES when he's been on the ice.

Young players like Brink, Foerster, Cates and Tippett are flourishing in Philadelphia.

Cates is having an awful season and Foerster is struggling mightily.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Lol I acknowledged this when it happened. Want me to post that sick Nick Seeler dangle goal from last year? Blind squirrels.

Anyway Frost scratched AGAIN tonight someone just take this player away from Tortsland.
Seeler is a great #6/7 D-man fwiw.

Frost
Hart

Holloway
Bourgault
Campbell
1st
2nd

Sounds good to me

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

Pretty great shift for a 4th line black hole, starting with the big hit right at the beginning
i had a hole in one once on a 225 yard par 3. I've played golf about 4 times in my life.

Lol I acknowledged this when it happened. Want me to post that sick Nick Seeler dangle goal from last year? Blind squirrels.

Anyway Frost scratched AGAIN tonight someone just take this player away from Tortsland.
Seelersky

Reactions: Rich Nixon

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Someone needs to shoot Torts into the sun. Frost creates chances every night, and Noah Cates who really doesn’t do anything gets 1C minutes when Couturier is out of the lineup. Cates has yet to be scratched
I think the Cates experiment is an important and worthwhile one. To see if he can grow into a bigger offensive role, after a fantastic rookie campaign last year where his defence was 95th percentile+, and his offense was impressive given his role/line placement. For me, the battle-to-be-scratched should NOT be between Cates and Frost, by any stretch.

Fourth line should be a line where other more skilled players can be inserted, so that the players with the most upside, in-game and for the future, can be played. Flyers should work this angle as time goes by, especially if they conclude both Brink AND Foerster belong, and there is resultant pressure throughout the forwards for playing time. May just take some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad