Friedman: Teams have started kicking around on Morgan Frost

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
before I even make an offer I need to know why is he benched? is there off ice issues we don't know about?

He led the team in ES scoring last season and was their best forward the last 2/3.

This season he, along with many others, struggled the first 2 games.

Tortellini picked Frost and decided to blame him and now won't get him back into the lineup. Torts is a POS. Hopefully for Frosts sake he gets traded to a competent franchise with a coach that isnt an arrogant prick.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
In the first 2 games, Frost centred a terrible line with Tippett and Atkinson on his wings. They all played horribly.

Since then, Atkinson has rebounded huge, at least in terms of points scored if not so much for his wholeice surface play,, and earned a spot playing with Couturier. And in the last 2 games, Tippett has also found that same home. They both played their way out of their intial terribleness.

In meantime, Frost got sidelined for no other reason than (a) we have 2 bona fide rookies, Bonk and Foerster, who cannot play anywhere but with skilled e.g top 3 line players and (b) we have an untouchable 4th line with great physical chemistry but no points at all after 7 games. DesLaurier, Poehling and Garnett whatever. And I get it, nobody else SHOULD play with thsee 3 knuckleheads without getting their head caved in, they play a neanderthal game. SO until someone on the roster finds a way to break their way onto the absolutely moronic impact 4th line...Frost will be the odd man out on the Flyers rebuild.

So I get it. Frost has been sacrificed for 2 younger offensive wannabees, and the implicit trust in a gritty no-skill 4th line with little upside. It should continue to get ink, Frost is no superstar, but he can certainly play everyday for the Flyers, both now and when they hope to be good.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
In the first 2 games, Frost centred a terrible line with Tippett and Atkinson on his wings. They all played horribly.

Since then, Atkinson has rebounded huge, at least in terms of points scored if not so much for his wholeice surface play,, and earned a spot playing with Couturier. And in the last 2 games, Tippett has also found that same home. They both played their way out of their intial terribleness.

In meantime, Frost got sidelined for no other reason than (a) we have 2 bona fide rookies, Bonk and Foerster, who cannot play anywhere but with skilled e.g top 3 line players and (b) we have an untouchable 4th line with great physical chemistry but no points at all after 7 games. DesLaurier, Poehling and Garnett whatever. And I get it, nobody else SHOULD play with thsee 3 knuckleheads without getting their head caved in, they play a neanderthal game. SO until someone on the roster finds a way to break their way onto the absolutely moronic impact 4th line...Frost will be the odd man out on the Flyers rebuild.

So I get it. Frost has been sacrificed for 2 younger offensive wannabees, and the implicit trust in a gritty no-skill 4th line with little upside. It should continue to get ink, Frost is no superstar, but he can certainly play everyday for the Flyers, both now and when they hope to be good.
Game 1 Philly won 4-2 and Atkinson scored. Frost played 12 mins, -1
Game 2 Philly lost 5-2. Frost 0 and 15 mins played

that doesnt get you healthy scratched…

Game 3 Frost scratched Philly won 2-0. Atkinson played 19 mins, Tippett 17. Both no point.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
So what. That’s all he can offer. He sucks. Torts has done this before with skilled forwards , especially young ones. He has a job with the only team in the league that would hire him.
Torts is a cancer to todays game. He is bad for the sport and as soon as he is shot into the sun the better.
Do you think he was a Briere hire or he was forced into it?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
fair enough, still raises a cpl small red flags. As a leaf fan I feel Keefe may not be able to keep Frost in check. But his play and need for a top 6 player make this somewhat interesting.
However I think the assets available to go after Frost are going to be used to get a Dman 1st.
Keep Frost in check? What does that even mean? Frost played very good last year and did nothing crazy 2 games he played to start the season. Team 1-1. Must have been some lazy back check at the end of the 5-2 loss to Ottawa.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Keep Frost in check? What does that even mean? Frost played very good last year and did nothing crazy 2 games he played to start the season. Team 1-1. Must have been some lazy back check at the end of the 5-2 loss to Ottawa.
It means there may be a lil more than missing a back check as the reason he is being held out.
Hell based on the goals I saw Ana score, a good 3 or 4 more players deserve to be benched.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It means there may be a lil more than missing a back check as the reason he is being held out.
Hell based on the goals I saw Ana score, a good 3 or 4 more players deserve to be benched.
Especially the goalie.
Nothing wrong with Frost attitude, off-ice or whatever it is called. Taking the benching like a pro. Should be flying next game.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Do you think he was a Briere hire or he was forced into it?

Torts? Torts was hired before Briere, and the reason the Flyers' GM and President search was entirely internal was likely that the franchise was telling candidates that Torts was to stay no matter what. In fact, the new CEO of the ownership group says he wants Briere, Torts, and Jones to work as a "triumvirate" and share power equally.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Flyers want to much, suiters will be offering too little.

Nothing will come of this. Eventually there will be an injury and Frost will be back in.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I do know this as a Flyer fan....whoever gets Frost is going to be thrilled...and we likely will not get close to full value for him....I am livid at the way he is being treated.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty clear Torts doesn't care for Frost at all. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything, because Torts is an imbecile.

But i do have some reservations about...what exactly is Frost as a player? He has the real feeling of an awkward "tweener" to me. Plays a skilled, Top-6 sort of game...but isn't necessarily good enough to want in your Top-6. Doesn't really bring any of the stuff you typically associate with positive contributions in more limited minutes in a Bottom-6 role either.

One of those guys who seems more likely to be "good on a bad team", so to speak. Filling in top minutes with good linemates and a big chunk of PP time. But on a team that slots in two quality Top-6 Centers ahead of him...he seems liable to end up a bit lost and in want of a role.

That said...it's absolutely bizarre and would frustrate the heck out of me if i were in Briere's shoes...to have my idiot coach making bizarre decisions like that, tanking any trade value the guy might have. Like even if you're Torts and you happen to want Frost gone...the fastest route to getting that accomplished is still probably just to play him a bunch, in cushy minutes and let him pile up some offensive results for a bit so he's easier to move.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If Frost is moved, the Flyers need a center prospect in return. I'm worried that said prospect will be another "grinder/checker/greasy/try hard" and not a skill guy. It just fits Tortorella and how he wants the game to be played. Skill bad, physicality/checking good.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Yeah that torts guy is just horrible. Why the heck is deslauriers getting time???

Oh wait.

Bet the same people laughed at the hurricanes use of Martinook back in the day but now laud them for their great and effective bottom 6.

A week ago that trio was significantly higher on that chart. In a week they will have fallen off it entirely. Do you want to know why that is?

That line has one of the highest offensive zone start % in the league. They've been at/over 70% since the season started. That's double what most 4th lines get.

So, in a small sample, a line that is starting 7 out of 10 shifts in the opponents end is going to likely produce more shots for than shots against, which is the essence of those stats. But the problem is: they suck ass and are failing to keep the puck in the opponents' end, get it out of their own, or score, period. If you look at their individual charts for those xGF stats, they start way up in the 80% range through games 1 and 2 and then crash down into the 40s and below by last game.

So, they're a forward line with basically no defensive advantages that is being used in one of the most sheltered offensive roles in the league and has yet to score a goal. They suck. They're completely ineffective.

Sometimes stats require context.

Last edited:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Game 1 Philly won 4-2 and Atkinson scored. Frost played 12 mins, -1
Game 2 Philly lost 5-2. Frost 0 and 15 mins played

that doesnt get you healthy scratched…

Game 3 Frost scratched Philly won 2-0. Atkinson played 19 mins, Tippett 17. Both no point.
agreed. both of us think that suppressing Frost is a weird choice.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Could see the Leafs looking into Frost at 50%.

A 3C with some offensive upside potential could be good, especially if he can skate.

Maybe something around Robertson (796) and Timmins (1.1) for Zamula (775) and Frost at 50% (1.05)?

Would let Kampf go to the 4th line, and could do a 3rd line with Jarnkork and Domi.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Could see the Leafs looking into Frost at 50%.

A 3C with some offensive upside potential could be good, especially if he can skate.

Maybe something around Robertson (796) and Timmins (1.1) for Zamula (775) and Frost at 50% (1.05)?

Would let Kampf go to the 4th line, and could do a 3rd line with Jarnkork and Domi.

God. That’s horrendous.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Frost is moved, the Flyers need a center prospect in return. I'm worried that said prospect will be another "grinder/checker/greasy/try hard" and not a skill guy. It just fits Tortorella and how he wants the game to be played. Skill bad, physicality/checking good.

Somebody like Minten?

I wouldn't call him unskilled, the kid was playing NHL games at center for the Leafs at 19 but he's already looking like a good defensive player

Somebody Better than him or that type of player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad