Friedman: Teams have started kicking around on Morgan Frost

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I'd love to have him come to Toronto.
One of my favourite Greyhound alums from my short stint living in the Soo

Too late, Dubas' gone amigo. Maybe the Pens might want him then?

Salary means Philly gets Robertson + cap dump? Better than Norlinder but still yikes.

Never read anything linking Philly to Norlinder Ld like him are on all teams. Easy pass.
Up that offer for a guy who would have been 2nd on your team ( by 8 pts) last year.

Waaay better than Norlinder

different than Philly (org) had interest in preseason. Ld not a need at all.

Man, that Habs fixation of yours... SMH Anywho hasn't Briere been part of the Flyers management group since 2021?

Wonder what kind of value VAN could offer? Garland, podkolzin and a 1st for Frost?

I think Podkolzin and the 1st would be more attractive without Garland's big cap hit.

could work. philly tends to overlook off-ice stuff. sens need to add tho.

Not much though, maybe a 3rd?

Would do Beck + Armia? Maybe add something small.

Frost for Owen Beck ?

Man that would hurt. Beck's gonna be good for a long time in the NHL. I mean does Frost's superior offensive skills make up for everything Beck brings to the table?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Man that would hurt. Beck's gonna be good for a long time in the NHL. I mean does Frost's superior offensive skills make up for everything Beck brings to the table?

It's more about timeline and fit - we need a legit 3C and Frost fits our team's timeline really well, I also think that he would fit the MSL coaching style well.

Beck will be great, but I imagine he will end up more like Danault without the same offensive upside. I think based on how this year has gone (albeit Allen stealing all the games) the Habs will be ready to be a lot more competitive as early as next year (Hutson + Reinbacher will make the jump) and Frost fits that a lot better than Beck who might be another 1-2 years out.

A lot also hinges on our draft position

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Deslauriers hell of a shift. Two big hits, a zone entry, and a great assist on a Hathaway goal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was completely idiotic to healthy scratch an 24 year old offensive center like Frost on a rebuilding team that's weak down the middle and struggles to score at ES and on the PP. And they did it for six games just to keep together a 4th line with a dumb nickname that couldn't do anything offensively until it added Scott Laughton.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It was completely idiotic to healthy scratch an 24 year old offensive center like Frost on a rebuilding team that's weak down the middle and struggles to score at ES and on the PP. And they did it for six games just to keep together a 4th line with a dumb nickname that couldn't do anything offensively until it added Scott Laughton.

The irony of you showcasing “almost scoring” plays while lambasting the 4th line who has been controlling play and creating scoring chances but can’t finish is rich

Reactions: Breeze 44

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The irony of you showcasing “almost scoring” plays while lambasting the 4th line who has been controlling play and creating scoring chances but can’t finish is rich
the 4th line has not been controlling play. they have been thoroughly outscored by their competition. and their inability to finish anything they do create is not unexpected. to me, they add a ostly meaningless snarl to the Flyer's play that has to be equalled by their teammates who would rather, you know, score goals than score body checks. if Tortorella ever cares to explain his affinity for such a pointless line, and why it adds to the overall gameplan, then I'll listen. Otherwise, they are quite simply useless.

although the fans in the rink seem to like them. and that's probably an important factor to the culture rebuild in Philly. so they have that going for them. pretty weak sauce though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually the 4th line has been controlling play in terms of SCF% and xGF%, but they leak too many HDCA. But it's a SSS. Hard to tell if it's mistakes due to getting used to each other, the defensemen they play with, or fundamental flaws.

Frost will play, Flyers are not dumping him for chump change, if he's traded, it'll be in a package for an under 25 year old 2C or top 3 D-man - that is, a core piece for the rebuild. But Flyers have no urgency to do anything, they're not making the playoffs, they have talent coming down the pipeline and are starting 9 players 25 and under. So Briere can see how things shake out, and whether someone makes him "an offer he can't refuse." He has veterans he can move and cap room to spare.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Trust me Philly, what you need is Barclay Goodrow leading the rebuild charge with intangibles. I’d even do straight up.
This post is funny because Goodrow has a bad contract and has not been very good this season, so the proposed deal would greatly benefit New York at the expense of Philadelphia. It is funny because it is not a very balanced trade and is unfair to one team. It’s amusing because one team does well and the other team gets shafted. I enjoyed your attempt at humour, thank you for your contribution to this thread.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
the 4th line has not been controlling play. they have been thoroughly outscored by their competition. and their inability to finish anything they do create is not unexpected. to me, they add a ostly meaningless snarl to the Flyer's play that has to be equalled by their teammates who would rather, you know, score goals than score body checks. if Tortorella ever cares to explain his affinity for such a pointless line, and why it adds to the overall gameplan, then I'll listen. Otherwise, they are quite simply useless.

although the fans in the rink seem to like them. and that's probably an important factor to the culture rebuild in Philly. so they have that going for them. pretty weak sauce though.
Yes they have.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Actually the 4th line has been controlling play in terms of SCF% and xGF%, but they leak too many HDCA. But it's a SSS. Hard to tell if it's mistakes due to getting used to each other, the defensemen they play with, or fundamental flaws.

I laid this out on the previous page, but I can almost guarantee you those % stem mostly from a ~70% offensive zone start deployment in a very small sample, and not due to any particular "control" over play. With Laughton down there now, I think it's safe to say they'll start to see way more defensive zone deployments and those possession indicators will plummet (which was beginning to happen even before the lineup change).

Deslauriers had the best game of his Flyers career the other night thanks to his sweet assist and another nice tip play very early on. Or maybe best period, since it was all in the first. For the rest of the game, he still turned the puck over 2-3 times in his own zone and threw countless passes to nowhere in the neutral and O-zones.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t hate it. But I think Ottawa needs to move salary.
No thanks from Ottawa they need a right handed two way centerman who is great in the dot and is 6'3. They lack size up front. They can wait for him to come back. They would need a very substantial plus to come with Frost to consider it.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto

Frost will play, Flyers are not dumping him for chump change, if he's traded, it'll be in a package for an under 25 year old 2C or top 3 D-man - that is, a core piece for the rebuild. But Flyers have no urgency to do anything, they're not making the playoffs, they have talent coming down the pipeline and are starting 9 players 25 and under. So Briere can see how things shake out, and whether someone makes him "an offer he can't refuse." He has veterans he can move and cap room to spare.
lift your head out of the analytics, which do no real favors for this line. and ask yourself...what is the purpose of a rebuild Flyers playing these 3 players together? what does it earn you?

I am left thinking it earns you almost nothing at the expense of experimentation of other potential NHL players. A solid 4th line to facilitate the competitiveness of the other lines, and overall development? Lauuughable.

starting off with these 3 was only ok if they quickly were broken up to facilitate the experimentation. And it has started...Laughton down there is both stylistically acceptable and not counter-productive to too many big picture plans, although let's not completely tank his value or impact either.

the trend should be 33-66% of DesLaurier/Poehling/Hathaway sitting as the season goes on...there's just no reason for it to be otherwise.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a Jets fan I like Frost, at least I do from what I've seen. Doubt the two teams could agree on any price to get him unless they really liked a prospect that the Jets would consider expendable in return for Frost. Hopefully he can go some where and be successful

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Deslauriers had the best game of his Flyers career the other night thanks to his sweet assist and another nice tip play very early on. Or maybe best period, since it was all in the first. For the rest of the game, he still turned the puck over 2-3 times in his own zone and threw countless passes to nowhere in the neutral and O-zones.
Good to see that trio, minus one of their core, actually score. But it took a lot of puck luck.

Remember. Every time you take a penalty, the other teams gets a 15-25% chance to score, as opposed to 3-4%.. That alone should put Deslaurier on the sidelines, if any accurate analytic measured that, he would be buried.

Btw. Bobby Brink has 1x2 minute minor and has drawn...7 opposing penalties! That is an way underrated and impactful stat, powerplays are way too powerful compared to regular play to ignore it, so if his play dictates that type of call and response! Watch for it as he glides his way to Calder trophy consideration....

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
This post is funny because Goodrow has a bad contract and has not been very good this season, so the proposed deal would greatly benefit New York at the expense of Philadelphia. It is funny because it is not a very balanced trade and is unfair to one team. It’s amusing because one team does well and the other team gets shafted. I enjoyed your attempt at humour, thank you for your contribution to this thread.
Might want to check your sarcasm detector - it might be broken.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Good to see that trio, minus one of their core, actually score. But it took a lot of puck luck.

Remember. Every time you take a penalty, the other teams gets a 15-25% chance to score, as opposed to 3-4%.. That alone should put Deslaurier on the sidelines, if any accurate analytic measured that, he would be buried.

Btw. Bobby Brink has 1x2 minute minor and has drawn...7 opposing penalties! That is an way underrated and impactful stat, powerplays are way too powerful compared to regular play to ignore it, so if his play dictates that type of call and response! Watch for it as he glides his way to Calder trophy consideration....
Agree with most but… how many more games you win with a 4th line with three Brink types?
Maybe winning this season isnt the only factor to consider.

Me i am not too fond of a 4th line going out there with purpose of drawing penalties.
I want a 4th line who will hit, grind and play more when the opposition starts to try to intimidate skill guys.
i dont expect em to draw penalties or score. Fine with the occasional fluke goal.
and i sure dont want em taking dumb calls. Is it the case so far?

Cates-Laughton handling 3rd-4th line C is fine. Fine with Poehling as extra.

Missing a scoring lw. Hopefully we land a nice one next draft.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Yes they have.
yes they have controlled stats play, and they have looked competitive. they bash everyone in their reasonable path.

but they are losing the goals against battle. and their finish versus their competition is not competitive at all.

I would argue this line is present for in-seats fans, to get back some credibility. And it is a terrible bet, as it has no lasting lustre.

Reactions: BillDineen

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks should have interest.

Need a C stopgap until Nazar or Moore are NHL ready in a couple years

24 yr old Frost showed what he could do last year, and Hawks C depth is atrocious with them wasting October on this dumb Reichel at C experiment which has only hurt Reichel and Hawks

Now Athanasiou will be lining up at C which is not much better or a real solution

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Agree with most but… how many more games you win with a 4th line with three Brink types?
Maybe winning this season isnt the only factor to consider.

Me i am not too fond of a 4th line going out there with purpose of drawing penalties.
I want a 4th line who will hit, grind and play more when the opposition starts to try to intimidate skill guys.
i dont expect em to draw penalties or score. Fine with the occasional fluke goal.
and i sure dont want em taking dumb calls. Is it the case so far?

Cates-Laughton handling 3rd-4th line C is fine. Fine with Poehling as extra.

Missing a scoring lw. Hopefully we land a nice one next draft.
three Brink types is only the 4th lines initial hypothetical offering on the side of Skill. they simply don't exist. but the 3 Neanderthal offerings do exist, and they got played for the first 9 games.

a 4th line is whatever you choose to make of it, on any hockey team. Flyers should pursue their best accompaniment to their path. I myself do not value low skill lines, they have to supplement it with finishing ie. goals to a reasonable rate. And as for intimidation? That is a 100% non-factor for considering value. Because it is an imaginary value to your squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad