LeBrun: Teams contacting Kyle Connor

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This is the best LeBrun reporting he's ever done. It's obvious but at least it's probably true.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is the best LeBrun reporting he's ever done. It's obvious but at least it's probably true.
Who would tell a media person about RFA contacts? Why would they do that?

Answers: Agents. To boost their negotiating position.

Media types benefit too, by getting clicks.

Reactions: KingBogo and hn777

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Is this the year of the offer sheet?
It should be. Not sure what Connor wants or what Winnipeg is offering but speaking from an Isles POV, Anders Lee wants seven years and probably 7 mil per year and the Isles aren't giving in so far but some other team might. Lee will be 29 years old next week. Meanwhile Connor is a good bet to score 30 goals every year and hasn't hit his prime yet. Feels like a situation where every team should be pleading with guys like Connor to sign an offer sheet instead of dumping huge piles of money on UFA contracts they'll regret by the second year.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
No doubt all of the high profile RFA’s have been contacted by teams.

Exactly ... NHL teams still interview the likes of Matthews, Eichel, Mcdavid, even though they knew that they weren't drafting anywhere near #1 overall.

Its an opportunity to make an impression... for potential future ufa status/trades or to get a read on a players personality/interest in your club... without tampering. It is wise to do, even though you may not be interested in an offer sheet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Even if teams aren't contacting RFAs their agents are likely telling LeBrun and their other media shills that they are. It's all part of the dance.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I see Detroit giving him an offer sheet. But I think Winnipeg could fetch a dumb return if he were to sign one.

Only downside of Connor is he's not a driver, more of a guy to dive into the play and does it well.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
It might be that the other elite RFA's are more realistic in their contract expecations and would theoretically sign an offersheet that is in line with the market ($8.5-9.0M) when the main comparable is Kucherov @ $9.5M. I don't see any team going to the crazy land (McD $+) for Mitch Marner as is reported. And I highly doubt that MM would sign an existing market value deal or it would likely already be done.

If they are going to offersheet a player “in line with the market,” they might as well not offersheet the player.

Market value will only have the original team match.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I see Detroit giving him an offer sheet. But I think Winnipeg could fetch a dumb return if he were to sign one.

Only downside of Connor is he's not a driver, more of a guy to dive into the play and does it well.
If the Jets do let Connor go to a big offer sheet I hope it's to a team that is likely to provide one or more lottery picks.

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If they are going to offersheet a player “in line with the market,” they might as well not offersheet the player.

Market value will only have the original team match.
Too logical for HFBoards. Who let you in?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If the Jets do let Connor go to a big offer sheet I hope it's to a team that is likely to provide one or more lottery picks.

Totally agree, Detroit sucks at drafting now too so why not give them to a team that's good at it? Also, Connor becomes the Red Wings best player if he ends up there.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Ehlers is better, and on a great contract. Connor's terrific but his numbers were boosted playing on the top line with Scheifele and Wheeler, and on the 1st PP. If someone makes a stupid high offer the Jets should let him go and use the cap space to address their gap on RD or 2C. They have a very good young winger in Vesalainen ready for a roster spot.
Yeah, you'll notice the only people saying Connor is better in this thread aren't Jets fans. They see similar stats and a player who's better around the net and think he must be the more valuable one.

Connor works well with Scheifele and Wheeler but Ehlers can drive any line. The Jets really struggled in transition this year for pretty much any line other than the one Ehlers is on. He's a zone-entry machine.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

He's still pretty young. Not everyone is a play driver right off the cuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad