Dreger: Teams considering a sign and trade for Taylor Hall

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
this dude is poison

Nah. He just needs a team with a good leadership group (like Evander Kane) that holds him accountable and a coaching staff that helps him adjust his game now that he's slowed down.

Eric Staal was way worse, didn't try at all. Hall is just bad because he's trying to run through a wall over and over, thinking he can still play like he did 3-4 years ago.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don’t know what to make of this. From an opposing GM point of view, I suppose this may be a chance to “buy low” on Hall if you are convinced this season is an aberration. You’d have to ignore the fact that you’d have to protect him from the Kraken and that his future cap hit vs performance would be worth it. The bigger issue is that from Hall’s point of view, he’s in a terrible bargaining position and it would be better for him to have an audition with a Cup contender at the deadline and test UFA waters again, or have the flexibility to bet on himself and sign another 1 yr deal.
I'm honestly curious if the 1 year Sabres idea was his own idea or his agent persuading him to.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Nah. He just needs a team with a good leadership group (like Evander Kane) that holds him accountable and a coaching staff that helps him adjust his game now that he's slowed down.

Eric Staal was way worse, didn't try at all. Hall is just bad because he's trying to run through a wall over and over, thinking he can still play like he did 3-4 years ago.
I agree this guy has never been on a team with leadership , he has always been "the guy " . The Bruins have had that vet leadership when they brought in Chara and even Mark Recchi they showed the way for Bergey , Marchand and others , now they are the leaders . Sequin had the talent but he did not want to buy in, where as Pasta has taken too it . But I think in the right situation and if is willing to be lead , it might salvage halls career. I could be all wet but I just thought I would throw that out there....

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs will sign him one year, one million.
Hall had the opportunity to do something similar to this just this past offseason. The Avs reportedly offered 1 year 6M, and Hall preferred the 8M Buffalo was asking.

hes said it’s all about winning...and yet his actions show the opposite.

Hes going to go where he can get paid.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I don’t know what to make of this. From an opposing GM point of view, I suppose this may be a chance to “buy low” on Hall if you are convinced this season is an aberration. You’d have to ignore the fact that you’d have to protect him from the Kraken and that his future cap hit vs performance would be worth it. The bigger issue is that from Hall’s point of view, he’s in a terrible bargaining position and it would be better for him to have an audition with a Cup contender at the deadline and test UFA waters again, or have the flexibility to bet on himself and sign another 1 yr deal.

You make a very good point about expansion protection.

A sign and trade doesn't make sense.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Staal made it abundantly clear that who ever trades for him will be sorry.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I just cant see how he gets much more than 5m from a team right now.
We are in a flat cap era, with owners loosing tons of cash.
How do you spend big $ on a guy whos team has lost 18 games in a row?

Does he have the ability to be worth way more? Heck yes.
But he is having at best an average mid 6W type season statistically right now. 43 point pace, above average posetion stats and not many goals.

He will be 30 next year, so I dont think you can really count on him bouncing back to being a 65-75pt winger, although its not impossible either.
His biggest problem may be he only has 2 goals, although his shooting % is ging to remain at 2.5% long term either (career 10.6%)

I can MAYBE see someone giving him a short term (2-3) year contract bewteen 5.5 and 6, but to say thats whats holding up a trade seems insane.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So everyone is in agreement that Hall's agent is "leaking" (read: fabricating) all these updates, right? Like how Hall and the Sabres were both mutually interested in pursuing a long term deal a few weeks ago?

They must be pretty desperate, wonder if buffalo has essentially told him there's no future for him as a sabre.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Hall had the opportunity to do something similar to this just this past offseason. The Avs reportedly offered 1 year 6M, and Hall preferred the 8M Buffalo was asking.

hes said it’s all about winning...and yet his actions show the opposite.

Hes going to go where he can get paid.

Where did you hear that? Heard he was offered 4–4.5 from 3 different teams: Edmonton, Nashville, and Colorado.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Dreger gets fed info from Darren Ferris. So whenever one of Ferris' clients is involved, you can almost be certain the information is coming from him directly. We saw this a ton with Marner.

I'm not saying Dreger doesn't have other sources, I'm just saying when it comes to Ferris' clients, I'm always skeptical about what Dreger says.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
As much as it pains me to defend Darren Dreger, he did not say "sign and trade". He said "trade and sign". There is a huge difference. As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, a "sign and trade" makes no sense. However, a team could conceivably trade for Hall with an intent to resign him, but they can wait and see how he performs for the rest of the season before making the commitment.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I really wanna want Taylor Hall for what he can be capable of, but reality prevents me from doing so...

He had the choice to go sign with a winner last off-season and what do he choose? He chose the total dumpster fire that is Buffalo. That to me is a major red flag, says to me he doesn't give a flying f*** about winning. He's a passenger, plain and simple...

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'd take for Hall if hes willing to sign a 2 year deal @ 4.5M per. He can bet on himself the same way Barrie did.

Oilers dont exactly have 7 forwards worth keeping anyways.

If buffalo wants a 1st rounder they better be ready to take James Neal's contract as well. Worst case scenario they can just buy him out and its 2M against the cap. Either that or he just stays on LTIR so he never has to play a game for them.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'd take for Hall if hes willing to sign a 2 year deal @ 4.5M per. He can bet on himself the same way Barrie did.

If buffalo wants a 1st rounder they better be ready to take James Neal's contract as well.
Worst case scenario they can just buy him out and its 2M against the cap. Either that or he just stays on LTIR so he never has to play a game for them.
I think that's prob the only way he gets a first at this point.

And I think it's a realistic ask.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

If buffalo wants a 1st rounder they better be ready to take James Neal's contract as well. Worst case scenario they can just buy him out and its 2M against the cap. Either that or he just stays on LTIR so he never has to play a game for them.
It should take at least two firsts just to accept Neal as a cap dump. We don't have 2 million to spare with the albatross deals of Skinner and Okposo.

Hall you can have for free at this point, I'd never trade for him. He's trash. He's the dumbest forward on our roster and that says something considering our other players.

If someone has space and we retain 50% I could see some GM on a bubble team gamble a 5th on him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal made it abundantly clear that who ever trades for him will be sorry.
Staal took a home town discount so he could stay in MN, and got traded anyway, even though he had only one year left on his contract and had done nothing but outperform his contracts in MN. Not surprising that he is a less than enthusiastic camper anywhere but there, living away from his wife and three kids.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
There's a video you can find on Youtube of an inside look on Buffalo FA day. It's presented as Buffalo's idea.

In the video the agent asks Adams why just a one year deal, are you interested in a longer deal and Adams says just one year because of the uncertainty of everything with Covid etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad