Dreger: Teams considering a sign and trade for Taylor Hall

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
While giving term to Hall is 'scary', if you can get him signed long term at a significant cap discount it's an intriguing idea. Like for example if you can get him signed to a 6.5M * 6. I think you stop and think about it for sure.
Especially with the cap eventually going up, it can be a bargain deal.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
When does sign and trade ever happen in the NHL? Why would anyone do that when the only advantage the current team has to sign a player they don't want to an 8 year term?
The advantage? It could be helpful for expansion purposes for 1. 2nd, it gives a team the opportunity to get the player for longer than 15 games. GMs aren’t that ecstatic about paying without assurances.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames need to shake up their core and they desire to have some more size in the line-up. I think the probability of signing Gaudreau again is low. His fiance is a nurse working in the greater Philly area. He has 1 yr at $6.75M left on his contract after this season. While Philly may or may not be a good trade partner, there are other teams in the vicinity that may be. So, I think it likely that he will be traded for futures.

Who do you replace him with? Someone that needs protection during the expansion draft, someone with speed, someone with some pedigree in scoring, and someone with a reasonable contract and term.

Should Buffalo extend Hall to a shorter term and cap, I could see interest in him by Calgary.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agree with most here...Way too much risk to give this guy huge dollars and term...One time Iam actually glad we have the cheapest owner in the league

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It has been reported earlier this year (prior to signing with Buffalo) that Hall wanted to sign with a team that could challenge for the cup and was willing to sign for a lower salary.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
True they didn’t give up assets. But if they have to retain to make a deal (which seems likely) it will diminish their return.

That makes it an awful lot of cash just to gain a small asset. As a fan I could care less about the cash expenditure. But I wonder how the ownership will view it.... 6/7 mil for a second and/or prospect.

To that last point, I have no clue what is or is not important to the Pegula’s. But I gotta think Adams isn’t entirely comfortable with this situation.

With that all said let me add my disclaimer that I’m not a Buffalo fan so I will not pretend to understand all the nuances of their organization.
Meh, when your a billionaire 4 to 5 million is a drop in the bucket. The pegulas have paid out well over a 100 million in buyouts, coach/GM terminations and are still worth more than when they started.
Your reading to much in to the coinage aspect.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
While giving term to Hall is 'scary', if you can get him signed long term at a significant cap discount it's an intriguing idea. Like for example if you can get him signed to a 6.5M * 6. I think you stop and think about it for sure.
so a players ppg that has gone from
1.22 to 0.98 to 0.77 to this year's 0.52
with 2 goals on the season playing with an elite player, and you want to sign him to 6 years?
Risky....

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I don’t know what to make of this. From an opposing GM point of view, I suppose this may be a chance to “buy low” on Hall if you are convinced this season is an aberration. You’d have to ignore the fact that you’d have to protect him from the Kraken and that his future cap hit vs performance would be worth it. The bigger issue is that from Hall’s point of view, he’s in a terrible bargaining position and it would be better for him to have an audition with a Cup contender at the deadline and test UFA waters again, or have the flexibility to bet on himself and sign another 1 yr deal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Correction, Dreger: Buffalo is looking for sign and trade Hall because his value is shit otherwise.

Granted, I don't doubt for a second some GMs will still treat Hall was the premium gamebreaker he keeps getting touted as.

Why would a sign and trade increase Hall's trade value? There would seem to be fewer teams interested in Hall extended than there would Hall with an expiring deal. This is not a Mark Stone or a JG Pageau type of situation. (Those were not "sign and trades" but it's reasonable to assume that Ottawa allowed some information to flow for a price considering how quickly both signed extensions.)

If anything, I think it much more likely that Hall is looking for security.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Seattle is the biggest wildcard in Hall's appetite for extending. There will be a flat Cap next year but effectively $82 million in new Cap space is unlocked with Seattle entering the league. That creates opportunities for multiple teams to move money and offer bigger deals.

If Hall were to extend with a new team I think it will be something like 1 year, $6 million. The thinking being that it takes a solid 2-3 months to gel with a new system and the COVID restrictions make that even more difficult to adjust to a new team. By joining a Cup contender now and extending one year past the flat Cap he can make a proper run to UFA.

Reactions: stringunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If Hall were to extend with a new team I think it will be something like 1 year, $6 million. The thinking being that it takes a solid 2-3 months to gel with a new system and the COVID restrictions make that even more difficult to adjust to a new team. By joining a Cup contender now and extending one year past the flat Cap he can make a proper run to UFA.

That's a great point about more salary room, but it underlines how it will cost more for a team to acquire Hall extended whether Buffalo charges more or not. After all, if teams want to offload salary to Seattle it'll still cost assets.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sign and trades make little sense in the NHL.

If you are a player do you really want the team trading for you giving away more assets to get you?

Granted I know a lot of you would say Hall with term is worth less than without term.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If you are a player do you really want the team trading for you giving away more assets to get you?

???

Players who are being traded could easily love to know that the team acquiring them wants them and has them in their plans long term. We haven't seen sign & trades, but we've seen trades and immediate signings, and I'd be shocked if acquiring teams didn't offer additional assets for the opportunity to speak to agents prior to making a deal. And teams that acquire that player who really want them get to express it, and get the security they want. Honestly, everyone wins except for hfboards posters thinking about asset management.

Like I've said, I'd be shocked if NYI didn't happily pay a bit more for Pageau for the opportunity to communicate. Still, I don't think it helps Buffalo at all in this case, because I think the expiring contract is a plus for most interested teams.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
???

Players who are being traded could easily love to know that the team acquiring them wants them and has them in their plans long term. We haven't seen sign & trades, but we've seen trades and immediate signings, and I'd be shocked if acquiring teams didn't offer additional assets for the opportunity to speak to agents prior to making a deal. And teams that acquire that player who really want them get to express it, and get the security they want. Honestly, everyone wins except for hfboards posters thinking about asset management.

Like I've said, I'd be shocked if NYI didn't happily pay a bit more for Pageau for the opportunity to communicate. Still, I don't think it helps Buffalo at all in this case, because I think the expiring contract is a plus for most interested teams.
Considering this happens all the time change my mind and agree with you.

Reactions: stringunspecified

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Can we just agree ban anyone that still feels the need to repost the same old played out "1st overall pick" jokes when referencing Taylor Hall? Finally bringing people together in the trade forum.

It is so tired at this point...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad