Speculation: Teams calling the Jets about Trouba

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Lawless just mentioned that the Jets are very high on Tkachuk, and there has been some rumbling at the combine about Trouba for the #4 +.

Personally, if the Jets can sign Trouba I would much prefer moving Myers in a deal for the #4, if the Jets are keen on doing that.

If the Jets move a D to draft Tkachuk, you'd wonder if they might consider moving Connor for a really good young LHD. Maybe Connor to Anaheim in a deal for Theodore?

Don't think Edmonton would move #4 for Myers.

How many LW'ers do we need to draft? So let's trade our best young dman to get another LW? Might as well draft Benson at 22.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Another winger would be just what we don't need lol.

Especially Tkachuk.

I believe that picking Tkachuk at #4 would be a mistake. Doesn't matter whether you're the Jets, Oilers, Avs or whoever else.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Don't think Edmonton would move #4 for Myers.

How many LW'ers do we need to draft? So let's trade our best young dman to get another LW? Might as well draft Benson at 22.

Now, what if the Leafs take Laine? :D

Trade Trouba for #4 +. Pick Tkachuk.

Soon...

Tkachuk-Matthews-Wheeler
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Dano / Armia

In a year or two, Roslovic re-unites with Matthews and Tkachuk to re-create that dynamic trio. :D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Especially Tkachuk.

I believe that picking Tkachuk at #4 would be a mistake. Doesn't matter whether you're the Jets, Oilers, Avs or whoever else.

Watched Tkachuk a fair bit in the Memorial Cup. He's much better than I thought.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So the Buff and Ladd saga's kind of wore on me a bit because they were pending UFA's and I didn't want to end up with nothing. Trouba is a different story he is a very valuable controlled asset so I am up for a bit of cheap entertainment......let the games begin.

My preference would be to keep him as part of our young core but if that isn't possible then so be it, lets maximize the asset value and roll on. Despite what some HFBoards bargain hunting trolls think he will fetch a kings ransom.

GJG

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If the Jets got #4 and Klefbom from the Oil, that may be good value, but I still don't like the message it could send. That we won't pay market value to players we've drafted and developed when the time comes.

If they don't like the number, bridge him. He has no alternative other than to hold out. Hold out. Eventually he'd have to come back and play.

Tkachuk seems like overkill at the position to me. Unless you plan to then trade Connor, which makes zero sense to me too.

Unless Matthews is the pick, then drafting Tkachuk makes some sense. Maybe Leafs would part with Marner for Connor?? We'd throw Armia in for good measure to play with their first pick, Laine.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Why move him now? Can't we bridge him for 2 years then trade him with a year left before he is a ufa?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So the Buff and Ladd saga's kind of wore on me a bit because they were pending UFA's and I didn't want to end up with nothing. Trouba is a different story he is a very valuable controlled asset so I am up for a bit of cheap entertainment......let the games begin.

My preference would be to keep him as part of our young core but if that isn't possible then so be it, lets maximize the asset value and roll on. Despite what some HFBoards bargain hunting trolls think he will fetch a kings ransom.

GJG

That's the piece i struggle with PS, why wouldn't it possible?

Say he wants $7+ mill for 6 years. Well, that's fine Jacob. You can ask for whatever you want. Ask for Buff money. Ask for PK money. You're not getting that. Sit.

He has very few options.

Sign a offer sheet? Go ahead, we'll match, unless it's outrageous. Then we'll take the picks or work out a trade. He's asked for a lot of money, fine. The Jets aren't in a cap crunch. They aren't putting any pressure on our cap situation. In fact, if i have to move someone out because of cap issues, there's about 10 guys i move before i get to Trouba.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Why move him now? Can't we bridge him for 2 years then trade him with a year left before he is a ufa?

Yep. It's not this contract i'm worried about. It's the next one. I'm good with having to trade him then, not now.

If its to get #4, well, be careful. You may run into the same situation then with #2, #4, with whatever pick wants to get paid.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep. It's not this contract i'm worried about. It's the next one. I'm good with having to trade him then, not now.

If its to get #4, well, be careful. You may run into the same situation then with #2, #4, with whatever pick wants to get paid.

This seems like the classic Lawless rumor to gain attention. Kid with a local connection sells well, look how far they took the Hamonic thing. I remain highly skeptical that TNSE is interested in moving Trouba especially for another young forward. Either that or they are really optimistic about what Morrissey will be able to do as a rookie next year. Even If Josh can effectively fill Trouba's minutes it just pushes the lack of depth on defense down the road 2 years when Toby is up. I don't see our management team putting themselves in that position.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If the Jets got #4 and Klefbom from the Oil, that may be good value, but I still don't like the message it could send. That we won't pay market value to players we've drafted and developed when the time comes.

Exactly.

If they don't like the number, bridge him. He has no alternative other than to hold out. Hold out. Eventually he'd have to come back and play.

He might have one alternative... begins with "off", ends with "eet". But we can match. Cap space is not an issue.

NTDP plays against both NCAA and USHL teams ;)

(though they didn't exactly dominate NCAA teams when Tkachuk-Matthews-Roslovic was a line)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Edmonton might do the 4th overall + Davidson. They aren't giving up Klefbom or Nurse plus that 4th.

Not straight up, maybe with an add. We can't afford to lose defense is my point.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agreed Channelcat.

Seems to come back to their belief that Toby and Stu are important pieces as LH d. I hope that changes, with a focus on a young core. Another reason why I wouldn't move Trouba.

I think Theodore is getting a little overrated. He's a high end piece, but he's not as valuable as Connor IMO. It's debateable if Theo is much better than Morrissey, if he is at all.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
IF the team goes that route I think Philly is a great option. Either Provorov or Sanheim could be a good fit (not necessarily 1 for 1). I really hope they keep him though. I still think he will be a dominant Dman in this league. I would much rather they move Myers.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
It bugs me when we say that TNSE won't pay market value. They WILL pay market value. They WON'T do an overpayment.

Overhart can ask for the sun moon and stars, doesn't mean he's going to get it. Reilly is a perfectly reasonable comparable IMO. Maybe Trouba can squeeze a bit more out of Chevy, but not much...

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015

Tkachuk seems like overkill at the position to me. Unless you plan to then trade Connor, which makes zero sense to me too.

Unless Matthews is the pick, then drafting Tkachuk makes some sense. Maybe Leafs would part with Marner for Connor?? We'd throw Armia in for good measure to play with their first pick, Laine.

I don't believe TNSE has a problem with paying market value. As a matter of fact, I think the mandate is to pay beyond that (if warranted)......to pay, absolute value; based on what a particular player brings to this team/community.

The message would be.....if you don't want to be in Winnipeg, and wear the Winnipeg Jets logo; we'll accommodate you, with a trade. On TNSE's terms and schedule. It's a business, no hard feelings. But to be viable...the tail can't wag the dog.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Some of these trade ideas are pretty radical. Trading Trouba is really not cool unless something unreal comes back, we really need the depth on defence. Trading for the fourth pick and drafting yet another winger is a head scratcher. I don't want to trade Connor he will be better than Tkachuk. But we really can't pay a bunch of wingers much more than what Connor, Ehlers and Laine are going to make in their prime. If we get Laine, were tapped out there. We need strength in other places in the lineup.

If Trouba is not wanting to be here that's a different scenario, but even then the best solution would be a simple one, trade him for another young d that is equally talented...one of Hanifin or Provorov for example.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Wouldn't be keen on a trade unless the return was a 23 year old or younger D man who is capable of playing either side and beating top competition regularly. Needs to be a potential franchise D... or maybe franchise C.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wouldn't be keen on a trade unless the return was a 23 year old or younger D man who is capable of playing either side and beating top competition regularly. Needs tl be a potential franchise D... or maybe franchise C.

Yup that about sums it up.

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015
Yeah, I'm sure theres not much to any of it but just curious what people feel is to much for him and what they'd want back.

I'd be tempted to talk to Edmonton about RNH and pick 4. Might be an overpay from Edmonton but they are pretty desperate it seems.

So we are going to trade Trouba cause we don't want to pay him 5m and we are going to take on in a position we don't need for 6M?

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015
Do you think Trouba is worth more than Reilly? I don't. I can't see him getting more than 5m per year.

I see him worth more than Rielly. Trouba has had to play on a team with Buff, Enstrom and Myers, and has looked great. To be the best player on the Leafs who do you have to beat out....Hunwick, Franson, Phanuef, Gardnier...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad