Speculation: Teams calling the Jets about Trouba

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think I have speculated that Trouba is being shopped around for various reasons. I think that we could see him moved before or at the draft. I think if they could sign him to a resonable deal(sub 5m) they would.

Guess we wait and see what happens

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Still ticked off at Campbell for that stupid rumour about the contract demands of Buff, Trouba and Ladd.

It seemed contrived at the time, and Buff's signing basically showed how off-base it was.

I expected more from Campbell.

I'd be more displeased with Campbell's source. True North is so tight lipped about everything that you can't blame the local media for running with any tidbit they can get.

I'm assuming the source had some legitimacy in saying that. If his source was the receptionist then my view would change.

m.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be more displeased with Campbell's source. True North is so tight lipped about everything that you can't blame the local media for running with any tidbit they can get.

I'm assuming the source had some legitimacy in saying that. If his source was the receptionist then my view would change.

m.

Didn't he claimed his source was not from within the org so I have no idea who it could be.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Other fan bases and media want Trouba to be available. He's a good young player with untapped potential. Most Jets fans don't want to see him leave, for the same reasons others want him.

It's slow. Media needs something to speculate about.

Seeing how Chevy has operated in the past, it would shock me if the Jets moved Trouba this summer. Instead, I expect a 6 year deal done in September.

Scheifele may be the priority, but he could take longer. Trouba has limited bargaining power and fairly close comparables. Scheifele has Barkov. I don't see Scheifele's group 'settling' for Barkov money.

When Schiefele is unsigned heading into September, will there be rumors that teams are calling on him?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
As much as I know Trouba is good, he could crap out in 5-10 years, also is an odd fit in our system.

Better off trading him and getting an overpayment.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As much as I know Trouba is good, he could crap out in 5-10 years, also is an odd fit in our system.

If he "craps out" in 10 years, I think we've gotten more than fair value for him. What do you mean by "odd fit"? How is a young and talented defenseman an odd fit on the Jets?

I don't get all this Trouba talk, TBH. Must be a slow news cycle - many teams covet what we have in Trouba. Glad he's here, and I hope he's here for a long while and unshackled from Stuey at some point.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Other fan bases and media want Trouba to be available. He's a good young player with untapped potential. Most Jets fans don't want to see him leave, for the same reasons others want him.

It's slow. Media needs something to speculate about.

Seeing how Chevy has operated in the past, it would shock me if the Jets moved Trouba this summer. Instead, I expect a 6 year deal done in September.

Scheifele may be the priority, but he could take longer. Trouba has limited bargaining power and fairly close comparables. Scheifele has Barkov. I don't see Scheifele's group 'settling' for Barkov money.

When Schiefele is unsigned heading into September, will there be rumors that teams are calling on him?

Bob I think that is that point though. Schief is unsigned and yet we don't hear rumors about him.

I think it very likely with everything that we have been hearing about Trouba that they are entertaining offers for him.

It doesn't mean he will be getting traded 100 percent though.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think I have speculated that Trouba is being shopped around for various reasons. I think that we could see him moved before or at the draft. I think if they could sign him to a resonable deal(sub 5m) they would.

If I'm Trouba's camp, sub-$5m isn't overly reasonable on a long-term deal.

Their argument can start and end that Trouba is #2 on the Jets d. Ahead of Enstrom and Myers who both have cap hits $5.5 m or more.

Currently, Trouba's market is at least $5.5 m on a long-term deal, imo. If you sign him for Rielly money and term, great. If you sign him for Hamilton money, fine. Anything sub-$6 is reasonable, imo.

To not pay market value would be very discouraging to me.

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Bob I think that is that point though. Schief is unsigned and yet we don't hear rumors about him.

I think it very likely with everything that we have been hearing about Trouba that they are entertaining offers for him.

I'm not a big fan of the "where there's smoke there's fire" theory. Most of the time the smoke is just hot air and a lot of fans. We may never know the backstory on this and we won't know where things stand until a deal or a trade is done.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Hasn't been 'leaked' what Scheifele's camp is asking for.

What if their initial ask is $6.75 m on a long-term deal. Or $7 mill? And they don't want to budge. Honestly, it won't be far off that, IMO. Especially if they want 7 or 8 yrs. Is that 'too much'?

Would there be speculation that Scheifele would be moved, for contract reasons?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If I'm Trouba's camp, sub-$5m isn't overly reasonable on a long-term deal.

Their argument can start and end that Trouba is #2 on the Jets d. Ahead of Enstrom and Myers who both have cap hits $5.5 m or more.

Currently, Trouba's market is at least $5.5 m on a long-term deal, imo. If you sign him for Rielly money and term, great. If you sign him for Hamilton money, fine. Anything sub-$6 is reasonable, imo.

To not pay market value would be very discouraging to me.

Do you think Trouba is worth more than Reilly? I don't. I can't see him getting more than 5m per year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

All I can say if the Jets did trade Trouba that they A) better get a great return, and B) if that return doesn't include a young potentially elite D, that they'd better trade some of our forward prospects for young D because we'd be terribly thin at that point on Defense.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hasn't been 'leaked' what Scheifele's camp is asking for.

What if their initial ask is $6.75 m on a long-term deal. Or $7 mill? And they don't want to budge. Honestly, it won't be far off that, IMO. Especially if they want 7 or 8 yrs. Is that 'too much'?

Would there be speculation that Scheifele would be moved, for contract reasons?

I would guess that the leaking has been done by Trouba's agent and if it is true and they are asking for the moon then really the only speculation to make is they want to force the Jets hand into a trade.

I would give Scheif a 6.75 longterm deal right now. I wouldn't give 6 to Trouba long term though.

I like Trouba and I want him here long term but the way things are seemingly playing out, I just don't see it.

Not only that we have the opportunity with Edmonton to actually trade him for something of value the 4th overall pick and probably one of their young Left handed D.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would guess that the leaking has been done by Trouba's agent and if it is true and they are asking for the moon then really the only speculation to make is they want to force the Jets hand into a trade.

I would give Scheif a 6.75 longterm deal right now. I wouldn't give 6 to Trouba long term though.

I like Trouba and I want him here long term but the way things are seemingly playing out, I just don't see it.

Not only that we have the opportunity with Edmonton to actually trade him for something of value the 4th overall pick and probably one of their young Left handed D.

That's a whole other kettle of fish IMO. If one of those D is Klefbom or Nurse (and I'm kind of leery on Nurse long term), and we're not adding another large piece but something smaller, that's something to think about.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I wouldn't hesitate to give Trouba a $5.75 mill deal, like Hamilton. $6 is a threshold I would not go to with Trouba either. At $5.75, I can sleep comfortably at night knowing he's more valuable to the Jets than other d we have. I'd also move one of Toby or Myers.

I'm likely in the minority, but I think he is better than Rielly. He's been given significant minutes, but the a more encompassing role would show his worth. Would you want Trouba having an expanded role or Myers? Easy decision for me.

If they move a drafted player, and not pay market value, that sends the wrong message, IMO. If after 3 seasons Laine wants to be paid market value, which could be significant, are we facing the same thing.

Trading Trouba would be a mistake, IMO.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's a whole other kettle of fish IMO. If one of those D is Klefbom or Nurse (and I'm kind of leery on Nurse long term), and we're not adding another large piece but something smaller, that's something to think about.

Edmonton might do the 4th overall + Davidson. They aren't giving up Klefbom or Nurse plus that 4th.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

m.

Didn't he claimed his source was not from within the org so I have no idea who it could be.

He included players as one of his "sources". What seemed contrived was that he linked each contract "demand" to a comparable player (e.g. Kesler for Ladd, Doughty for Trouba), which suggests to me that someone might have said they thought Ladd was "looking for Kesler money", or something like that. He clearly didn't get the information directly from anyone directly involved in the negotiations, which makes it suspect from the start.

The fact that he was so far off on Buff should cast serious doubt on the veracity, not to mention that Trouba's agent flat out denied it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't hesitate to give Trouba a $5.75 mill deal, like Hamilton. $6 is a threshold I would not go to with Trouba either. At $5.75, I can sleep comfortably at night knowing he's more valuable to the Jets than other d we have. I'd also move one of Toby or Myers.

I'm likely in the minority, but I think he is better than Rielly. He's been given significant minutes, but the a more encompassing role would show his worth. Would you want Trouba having an expanded role or Myers? Easy decision for me.

If they move a drafted player, and not pay market value, that sends the wrong message, IMO. If after 3 seasons Laine wants to be paid market value, which could be significant, are we facing the same thing.

I think it all depends on term. If the Jets can get Trouba for 7 or 8 years, then I would definitely go above $6 million, because you are buying a few UFA years and that deal will likely look fantastic in a few years. Remember, Bogo got $5.14M per year a few years ago. I think Trouba would rank higher than Bogo in terms of value if you are locking him up long term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I've speculated about Trouba to Edmonton for the #4 +. I don't see a young LHD that they would be willing to give up that would enthuse me.

Maybe the Jets could consider #4 and #32 picks, and then move a pick (#22 or #32) and a forward prospect (Armia, Dano, Roslovic, Petan) for a solid young LHD.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I'm a big Toby fan, but this would solve some issues for us. If only we hadn't let the LHD well run dry. For the life of me I can figure out why Chevy hasn't acquired one....or two.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At this point I want Trouba moved to #1 LD with Buff permanently, moved, or Myers moved for a LD.

Buff/Myers/Trouba is just too much for one side, and I'd rather not have a third pairing D man making 5 million whilst the left is awash in mediocrity.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lawless just mentioned that the Jets are very high on Tkachuk, and there has been some rumbling at the combine about Trouba for the #4 +.

Personally, if the Jets can sign Trouba I would much prefer moving Myers in a deal for the #4, if the Jets are keen on doing that.

If the Jets move a D to draft Tkachuk, you'd wonder if they might consider moving Connor for a really good young LHD. Maybe Connor to Anaheim in a deal for Theodore?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm a big Toby fan, but this would solve some issues for us. If only we hadn't let the LHD well run dry. For the life of me I can figure out why Chevy hasn't acquired one....or two.

Agreed Channelcat.

Seems to come back to their belief that Toby and Stu are important pieces as LH d. I hope that changes, with a focus on a young core. Another reason why I wouldn't move Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad