Speculation: Teams calling the Jets about Trouba

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Trouba actually was looking to get out of the 'Peg, it'd be a jerk move for his agent to announce it at this point. As that would move Chevy from a position of strength to weakness in trade negotiations. Much better for Chevy to answer the phone and say "You want Trouba? So do we. But I'll listen to your offer to pry him out of our club. Better make it good." Rather than "Trouba? Yes, I know he wants out. Oh, you'll kindly take him off our hands for us? Gee, thanks..."

I'm not saying Trouba does want out. Just that, if he did, his agent might have reasonable cause to lie about it at this point. Unless he wanted to seriously damage his rep.

Bait and switch... find out who wants RHD and then see if they might consider Myers instead of Trouba.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought his answer on Trouba was pretty vague and elusive - more than I expected.

I got the impression from how he answered the question that he is open to trading Trouba, and I won't be all that surprised if Trouba gets moved. But that's just me reading between the lines from how he approached his answer to that question. He could have shut down all the trade talk by saying that Trouba is one of the core young players and that he was trying to sign him. Instead, he started with "anyone can be traded", before saying that he was going to try to sign Scheif and Trouba.

I'm probably over-interpreting things, but won't be very surprised if he gets moved.

I heard it somewhat the same way. He was clear that he was not trying to trade him but he did not try to squelch trade possibilities. I wouldn't put it that I wouldn't be surprised if Trouba is traded. He might be traded but if he is the price will be high. Also leaving the door open a crack may relate to negotiation too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Considering that Chevy's picking 2nd, and Laine is the consensus 2nd overall pick, and that he spent most of the time discussing Laine the most out of the Matthews/Laine/Pulju trio, it's a fairly safe bet. Anything can happen, and things can change, but as it stands right now, I'm fairly confident that Chevy picks Laine at 2.

Were you not confident of that before the presser? He seemed to indicate he has made his choice. Probably Laine but no more certain now than this morning.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wait - is he saying that it's not true that there's been talk? :sarcasm:

Thanks for the live reports. I'm certainly of the mindset that there's way more smoke than fire around the Trouba situation.

Sounded to me to be about as firm as it possibly could be that Trouba is not looking to be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad