Friedman: Teams calling Jets about Defencemen

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
IMO neither would be available

Dillon or Nate possibly available
The problem from the Oilers perspective is they need something better than they already have.

A legit top 3 D-man probably puts them over the top.

A trade for a depth piece would have to be for a guy on an expiring contract.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Morrisey and Pionk not a good pairing. Two smallish puck carrying D that cannot anticipate each other They pair better with bigger tougher stay at home D. Morrisey with DeMelo and Pionk with Dhillion
I rather move the one of the higher salary guys out Pionk/Morrisey/Schmidt and use cap space for a solid forward and replace the D with the press box guy or Heinola.
While I agree that Morrissey Pionk is not a good pairing, it's funny to call De Melo a bigger tougher stay at home d, when he is constantly getting run over because he isn't big.

I don't think any of the top 3 d-men are available. One because of contracts, two because of roles.

One thing I'm looking at is the emergence of Samberg as a legit PKer, do the Jets move De Melo while the time is right? He's an offensive black hole, if he gets the puck anywhere below the cirlces you almost instantly expect a turnover. His defensive awareness is pretty good, but at what point do you want a defense attacking and not defending?

Give me Morrissey-Heinola, Dillon-Pionk, Samberg-Schmidt, are the Jets better than with De Melo? That's a tough call, but I think so. If we could get a RHD prospect back, or Kovacevic back for depth, I'd move De Melo first, because he's to me the opposite of Pionk, pretty good advanced stats for mediocre results, whereas Pionk will get you offensive chances and points with mediocre advanced stats.

Reactions: RRenegade

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The problem from the Oilers perspective is they need something better than they already have.

I understand, but the Jets aren't rebuilding and have no replacements for those two top 3 D. IMO Pionk is a #3D and Josh is a #2D......can't replace those easy. Jets are pushing for playoffs, IMO they only trade Stanley, maybe one of Nate/Dillon.......thats it.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
While I agree that Morrissey Pionk is not a good pairing, it's funny to call De Melo a bigger tougher stay at home d, when he is constantly getting run over because he isn't big.

I don't think any of the top 3 d-men are available. One because of contracts, two because of roles.

One thing I'm looking at is the emergence of Samberg as a legit PKer, do the Jets move De Melo while the time is right? He's an offensive black hole, if he gets the puck anywhere below the cirlces you almost instantly expect a turnover. His defensive awareness is pretty good, but at what point do you want a defense attacking and not defending?

Give me Morrissey-Heinola, Dillon-Pionk, Samberg-Schmidt, are the Jets better than with De Melo? That's a tough call, but I think so. If we could get a RHD prospect back, or Kovacevic back for depth, I'd move De Melo first, because he's to me the opposite of Pionk, pretty good advanced stats for mediocre results, whereas Pionk will get you offensive chances and points with mediocre advanced stats.
I don’t think Kovacevic coming back to the Jets. Habs fans like him and he’s getting 2nd pair minutes. Habs likely keep him in the press box then chance him through waivers. If Jets don’t reclaim him another team would

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Can't see the Jets moving Schmidt because he's the one lefty that's super comfy playing his off side. Demelo and Pionk are the only RH shots. Moving any of thosenthree does nothing for the logjam on the left

Only scenario where one of those guys gets moved is if management wants to plant heinola or Samberg on the right side. Samberg didn't take to it on the moose, but heimola has shown promise there. Problem is that the team is putting up points while playing sub par. If the season goes to shit, then grooming heimola on the right side would make sense

TLDR version: if anyone is available, it's Stanley and mayne Dillon

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
True, where they end up who knows just like any team early in a season. That being said they have had a very tough schedule to start, missing their #1RW, HD coach and all new systems adjusting to. Watching them play last year vs this year totally different look to them, new coaching staff actually has systems. Last year even multi players called out Lowry & PMO for their lack of systems.

Are they a serious cup contender? no
Are they a much improved team this year due to coaching? Hell yeh
Jeez man, I don't know. In the Kings and Vegas games, they didn't deserve a point in either one of them but came away with 3 thanks to Hellebuyck. The high danger chances were something like 16-1 Kings in the first period of that game. I think you're looking at results, and not how the team has played. Other than the Dallas game, they've been hot garbage.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Jeez man, I don't know. In the Kings and Vegas games, they didn't deserve a point in either one of them but came away with 3 thanks to Hellebuyck. The high danger chances were something like 16-1 Kings in the first period of that game. I think you're looking at results, and not how the team has played. Other than the Dallas game, they've been hot garbage.

Games the Oilers win with McDavid or Leafs win with AM both scoring multi points in game........do those teams deserve wins? Of course they do just like when a goalie helps his team win a game. Were the Jets playing well in those two games, yes and no........gave up too many chances (bad) but also never gave up or quit and fight back for the win is positive sign. As I said Jets are 9 games into a season with some new players, completely new coaching staff with all new systems missing their HC and #1RW.........if you can't see the positives there I'm not sure what to say to you. I clearly said they are not serious cup contenders but they have absolutely played better this season compared to last which is a positive.

Reactions: TS Quint

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Morrissey is a good #2. Jets dont have another top 3 Dman. Trading for him is very, very unlikely.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Which Defenseman can the Sabres get for Olofsson?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I don’t think Kovacevic coming back to the Jets. Habs fans like him and he’s getting 2nd pair minutes. Habs likely keep him in the press box then chance him through waivers. If Jets don’t reclaim him another team would

Don’t we get first chance? And agree. I think the Habs kee him anyways

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Games the Oilers win with McDavid or Leafs win with AM both scoring multi points in game........do those teams deserve wins? Of course they do just like when a goalie helps his team win a game. Were the Jets playing well in those two games, yes and no........gave up too many chances (bad) but also never gave up or quit and fight back for the win is positive sign. As I said Jets are 9 games into a season with some new players, completely new coaching staff with all new systems missing their HC and #1RW.........if you can't see the positives there I'm not sure what to say to you. I clearly said they are not serious cup contenders but they have absolutely played better this season compared to last which is a positive.
Of course the wins count. The question is, is it sustainable?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Don’t we get first chance? And agree. I think the Habs kee him anyways
No I believe that's a waivers myth, only has to do with standings. Habs are so thin on the right side and Kovacevic has been bland and unspectacular but pretty solid and just a predictable, no nonsense player. I think Harris and even Xhekaj go down before him as they don't need waivers and as the blue line gets healthier it probably becomes more favourable for them to get top minutes in Laval

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Of course the wins count. The question is, is it sustainable?

And thats why in my first post I said: "True, where they end up who knows just like any team early in a season."

Overall they have looked improved over the 9 games, has there been some rough periods? Sure, but show me a team with less than 10 games into a season with an entirely new coaching staff, all new systems, HC missing due to COVID, missing #1RW due to injury and playing vs some tough teams to start who wouldn't of had some tough periods.

As were both wondering, how will they look over a bigger sample size is the question, I suspect better and more consistent albeit not a serious cup contender (as I said in my first post), but I suspect they will be a playoff team (pending injuries). Jets likely have this season and next with this core (after next year multi core contracts are up), then likely going full rebuild either next summer or at next years TDL depending where they sit in the standings.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Which Defenseman can the Sabres get for Olofsson?

I suspect the only ones available might be Nate, Dillon and Stanley. Jets need to make room for three good young D prospects, likely see 1-2 at some point this year added to the roster on a perm basis.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
And thats why in my first post I said: "True, where they end up who knows just like any team early in a season."

Overall they have looked improved over the 9 games, has there been some rough periods? Sure, but show me a team with less than 10 games into a season with an entirely new coaching staff, all new systems, HC missing due to COVID, missing #1RW due to injury and playing vs some tough teams to start who wouldn't of had some tough periods.

As were both wondering, how will they look over a bigger sample size is the question, I suspect better and more consistent albeit not a serious cup contender (as I said in my first post), but I suspect they will be a playoff team (pending injuries). Jets likely have this season and next with this core (after next year multi core contracts are up), then likely going full rebuild either next summer or at next years TDL depending where they sit in the standings.
Well, the Bruins weren't missing a head coach, but had a new one with new systems and were missing a top 5 D and top 20 or so forward.

As a Bruins fan who lives in the Peg, I follow the Jets too, and hope they do well. There have been some intriguing signs (55 looks way better and Perfetti looks like the real deal), but overall, their team D is still crap. They have some nice pieces coming up (I'm high on Lambert, Rashevsky, Lucuis, Salomonsson, Heinola, Samberg) so if they can hold on to, or get some good pieces back for Dubois and Scheifele, they could have a quick turnaround. Wheeler is really the only guy outside of those 2 who they'll for sure lose, and he's on the downslope. Getting Hellebuyck re-signed next year is huge.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well, the Bruins weren't missing a head coach, but had a new one with new systems and were missing a top 5 D and top 20 or so forward.

As a Bruins fan who lives in the Peg, I follow the Jets too, and hope they do well. There have been some intriguing signs (55 looks way better and Perfetti looks like the real deal), but overall, their team D is still crap. They have some nice pieces coming up (I'm high on Lambert, Rashevsky, Lucuis, Salomonsson, Heinola, Samberg) so if they can hold on to, or get some good pieces back for Dubois and Scheifele, they could have a quick turnaround. Wheeler is really the only guy outside of those 2 who they'll for sure lose, and he's on the downslope. Getting Hellebuyck re-signed next year is huge.

As a fellow casual Boston fan since I was a kid, many years ago, yes Boston has a long strong past and great hockey results. I think Boston has surprised many within the hockey world about their start this yeat, good on them.

After next year is up, some key contracts are done........its going to be interesting if management goes full rebuild or just restructure like they did back in early days on Jets 2.0.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly don't know as I didn't think the Canucks would be interested in reacquiring Schmidt. The deal probably falls apart as soon as you start talking prospect as I could see why the Nucks would want a top prospect/1st and I don't see the Jets as being in a position to be moving those assets at the moment, at least not until they keep up their current play for another 25-35 games.

I'd say too high a reach unless Horvat is signing an extension immediately. They are similar caliber players, but Dubois is younger and an RFA.

Yeah. I can see why some people are eyeing up Schmidt thinking it could work, now that there's an actual coaching staff in place and a different management team. But i don't see it as being all that realistic. There's too much contract left on him to gamble on the same thing working out differently this time. It seemed like he was going to be a good fit last time around, but just didn't really work. I doubt Schmidt himself would be at all keen to re-run that situation either, and you want players who want to be there. The baggage from the last time can really affect a player mentally. Don't need that.

I think Brendan Dillon is probably the more plausible target for Vancouver. Under the assumption that he's going to be able to play his off side as a RD. But injuries aside, Vancouver's blueline is awfully crowded at this point already. Not much in the way of "quality" but the quantity is there now. There's like 8 NHL caliber D (even if they're mostly #5/6/7 types). Plus Dermott if he ever comes back, plus a few depth/call-up guys, and Tucker Poolboys contract is still crowding things even on what might be LTIRetirement.

As for a Horvat/Dubois swap, i'm not really sure what that accomplishes. Unless Dubois is going to re-sign long-term with Vancouver and Horvat isn't going to be doable at a reasonable number. Dubois does have a little bit more "team control" but i think the leverage of that situation is damaged a little bit by all the rumblings about Dubois wanting out (and specifically to go to Montreal supposedly). That creates a challenge if you're just acquiring a potential contract standoff a couple years down the line.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
No. Elliotte thinks they might be.

Any wrestling fans here? Elliote is the Dave Meltzer of hockey.... I'm hearing this, I'm wondering if, maybe they are considering this, but If nothing happens he goes plans change

Click bait to the Extreme
You found the wrestling fan. Who is Elliote’s Elite?

I think Stanley could help the Rangers, depending on the cost. Big and mobile LHD is right up the Rangers alley.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You found the wrestling fan. Who is Elliote’s Elite?

I think Stanley could help the Rangers, depending on the cost. Big and mobile LHD is right up the Rangers alley.
I don't think the Jets are all that keen to move Stanley. The Jets don't have a single d-man over 200 lbs besides him and Dillon, and Dillon's contract is up in 2024. I'd expect Stanley to get an extension (3 or 4 years) as his 2nd RFA contract expires at the end of this year. I can't see the Jets having both leave the organization in the next 2 years, especially with Kovacevic gone, that's a little too soft of a d-corps. Besides Stanley has been good on the PK, probably better than Dillon, so there's a cheaper internal replacement. I'd expect a Dillon trade at the end of this season. I think he's likely to get the Jets a 2nd round pick, which they will want for a deeper draft. He was pretty much unmoveable this offseason with a $2.5 million signing bonus tacked on to a $3 million salary. Next year is $2 million bonus plus $2 million base salary, which is I think market value for a top 4 d-man. The hope would be that Samberg emerges as a top 4 replacement by the end of the year. Jets can still promote Declan Chisholm to #7 or higher this way. And then there is the question of what to do with Heinola, who is clearly the Jets best PP option, but lacking a path to promotion.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

The Bruins are simply head and shoulders above the Jets as a team.

There’s a few players who are absolute freaks that elevate their team as a whole. Mcdavid with his incredible offence, Makar with his mobility and puck movement. Bergeron is one of those with his two way play. One of the best ever.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is there any chance of something based around a Boqvist-for-DeMelo swap making sense for Winnipeg? We'd basically be trying for "get someone more defensively oriented to stop the bleeding", and I'm kind of vaguely hoping that putting Boqvist alongside someone like Morrissey might make conceptual sense.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Is there any chance of something based around a Boqvist-for-DeMelo swap making sense for Winnipeg? We'd basically be trying for "get someone more defensively oriented to stop the bleeding", and I'm kind of vaguely hoping that putting Boqvist alongside someone like Morrissey might make conceptual sense.
I doubt that would be popular from Jets fans. if they wanted a Boqvist type they would just play Heinola. Demelo doesnt put up the numbers but he seems to help his partner look better.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
As a Jets' fan I feel like that would favour us pretty bad. But also DeMelo is usually the only reason we're not bleeding out ourselves. But also he's had a really bad start to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad