Friedman: Teams calling Jets about Defencemen

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Until recently, DeMelo was the only D that looked good paired with Morrissey. Now this year they've got Pionk working well with Morrissey, but keeping DeMelo is insurance if Pionk gets injured, I guess?
Pionk/JoMo has been terrible. The sooner they break them up the better. Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, they are second worst in the league for giving up scoring chances.

Reactions: cg98 and hn777

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
In the latest 32 thoughts, Friedman mentions that teams have been calling Winnipeg about their D:

“Just something I was looking out for. You know, Winnipeg has a lot of D and I think there’s been some talk ‘do they clear up the logjam’. Do they make some moves to sort of free it up a bit. I think teams have called them, teams that are short on D, I think have called Winnipeg and said ‘what are you doing?’. I think what they’ve told people is they’re not going to do anything just for the sake of doing it. They understand there is interest, and maybe some guys would like to play more, but they are determined to do what they think is best for themselves.”

The Jet's have a log jam, especially on the left side and a few guys in the AHL banging on the door (Heinola and Chisholm). Jets need some more offence, preferably a top 6 W (or offensive top 9W) to play either 2nd or 3rd line. WPG does have some cap space to work with.

Likely available
Schmidt (top 4 RHD - Shoots left but plays/prefers right side)
Dillon (top 4 LHD)
Stanley (LHD)

Unlikely available
Pionk (Top 4 RHD)
Demelo (Top 4RHD)
Heinola (LHD - would need a similar age/potential fwd as a return)
Samberg (LHD - ditto Heinola)

Not available
Morrissey (Top pair LHD)

Who is looking for D?

This is not a fire sale thread. The Jet's are looking to contend now and have an abundance of bottom 6/tweener FWD depth, Attaching a mid pick or a meh prospect to a player who wouldn't upsert anyone on the 3rd line would be of no interest.

Likely available
Dillon

Unlikely available

From Florida:

What's the ask for Dillon?

Denisenko for Heinola?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
TO EDM: Brendon Dillon
TO WIN: Jesse Puljujarvi + 2nd round pick

Oilers get a defensive stud and Pulji will be properly used in Winnipeg.
I dont want to trade Dillon but that is a good offer.

And the Jets have so much success with Finnish wingers...oh, wait.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As a Leafs fan, with Muzzin out our D is a bit small/soft, a big, physical, stay at home guy like Stanley or Dillon is interesting. Dillon would require retention, don't have the cap for him, but Stanley is interesting. What would a reasonable price be?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I could see a team like Montreal having interest in a big D like Stanley. Montreal does not have a lot of depth in terms of NHL defensemen. They also seem to be trying to add size on defense. Can’t go wrong with a 6’7 young guy with a little upside…

Montreal also does have depth at forward to move a forward…
What are you on about? Habs are going to be getting two Dmen back from injury and will need to send someone down to fit everyone in.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Because they get a decent prospect + pick for a player with no future with them?
To be fair, you didn't include a pick...you added it with a question mark, meaning that it could or could not be a part of the deal. It also doesn't mention what pick is being added. I suppose it would depend on that.

I'm not a fan of them using a retention slot that's going to stay on the books for two seasons. Anaheim is rebuilding and in a great position to weaponize those slots this season and next season to gain good picks.

I'd much rather them keep it simple and take on Zaitsev along with a 1st rounder coming with him. Nothing going back necessary.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Would Winnipeg be interested in Casey Middlestat in Buffalo? Are they looking for a short or long term top six forward ?

Buffalo isn't going to get something for nothing, I get that. Middlestat is from Minnesota, so being closer to home might be a draw to sign him long term.

But what D would the Jets be willing to give up for him?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
In the latest 32 thoughts, Friedman mentions that teams have been calling Winnipeg about their D:

“Just something I was looking out for. You know, Winnipeg has a lot of D and I think there’s been some talk ‘do they clear up the logjam’. Do they make some moves to sort of free it up a bit. I think teams have called them, teams that are short on D, I think have called Winnipeg and said ‘what are you doing?’. I think what they’ve told people is they’re not going to do anything just for the sake of doing it. They understand there is interest, and maybe some guys would like to play more, but they are determined to do what they think is best for themselves.”

The Jet's have a log jam, especially on the left side and a few guys in the AHL banging on the door (Heinola and Chisholm). Jets need some more offence, preferably a top 6 W (or offensive top 9W) to play either 2nd or 3rd line. WPG does have some cap space to work with.

Likely available
Schmidt (top 4 RHD - Shoots left but plays/prefers right side)
Dillon (top 4 LHD)
Stanley (LHD)

Unlikely available
Pionk (Top 4 RHD)
Demelo (Top 4RHD)
Samberg (LHD - ditto Heinola)

Not available
Morrissey (Top pair LHD)

Who is looking for D?

This is not a fire sale thread. The Jet's are looking to contend now and have an abundance of bottom 6/tweener FWD depth, Attaching a mid pick or a meh prospect to a player who wouldn't upsert anyone on the 3rd line would be of no interest.
Can see Toronto Edmonton and probably now Pittsburgh looking. Toronto needs depth and skill. Edmonton needs consistency. Pittsburgh needs some size and grit amd upgrade for Dumoulin.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Would Winnipeg be interested in Casey Middlestat in Buffalo? Are they looking for a short or long term top six forward ?

Buffalo isn't going to get something for nothing, I get that. Middlestat is from Minnesota, so being closer to home might be a draw to sign him long term.

But what D would the Jets be willing to give up for him?
He has been a player I have targeted for a few years as a change of scenery player. Now that he appears to be living up to some of the promise, why would Buffalo trade him?

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
He has been a player I have targeted for a few years as a change of scenery player. Now that he appears to be living up to some of the promise, why would Buffalo trade him?
Because they need D, they not only have three D on Buffalo out, but also 2 in Rochester, so it's about depth.

And I don't think there is an NHL team just giving away defensemen, so we're going to have to give up something of value.

I'd miss him, but our D is just too thin.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If those are the 3 they’re willing to move, there won’t be a ton of interest. I’m sure there’s a few teams who could use a player like Schmidt but what are they going to get in return? Probably not much. As for Stanley, weren’t they trying to move him not long ago?

Now, they want to move Morrissey or Pionk, I’m sure they can get a nice return. Put Morrissey on LA, Detroit or Ottawa, they get a lot better, a lot quicker.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
If those are the 3 they’re willing to move, there won’t be a ton of interest. I’m sure there’s a few teams who could use a player like Schmidt but what are they going to get in return? Probably not much. As for Stanley, weren’t they trying to move him not long ago?

Now, they want to move Morrissey or Pionk, I’m sure they can get a nice return. Put Morrissey on LA, Detroit or Ottawa, they get a lot better, a lot quicker.
HF posters do not represent team’s actual thinking obviously. I doubt the Jet’s are looking to move any D. That is pretty much what Friedman said. He likely knows more than random posters.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
They can get a big return for Pionk and an even bigger return for Morrissey, but trading either one of them won't help them get better in the short term at all, unless it's a d-man for d-man kind of trade maybe. Those would be trades you make if you re-build or re-tool. Jets are currently in a playoff spot and their current plan is to get better now not re-tool.

Reactions: Pongs21

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Morrisey and Pionk not a good pairing. Two smallish puck carrying D that cannot anticipate each other They pair better with bigger tougher stay at home D. Morrisey with DeMelo and Pionk with Dhillion
I rather move the one of the higher salary guys out Pionk/Morrisey/Schmidt and use cap space for a solid forward and replace the D with the press box guy or Heinola.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Morrisey and Pionk not a good pairing. Two smallish puck carrying D that cannot anticipate each other They pair better with bigger tougher stay at home D. Morrisey with DeMelo and Pionk with Dhillion
I rather move the one of the higher salary guys out Pionk/Morrisey/Schmidt and use cap space for a solid forward and replace the D with the press box guy or Heinola.
Is six foot really smallish? The NHL has lost an inch in average laetely..

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Heinola is probably very available, the organization don't seem high on him anymore.

Not sure how you conclude that, he's getting time in the AHL developing a pro game, the team constantly talks highly of him and his future with the team since drafted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad