Friedman: Teams calling Jets about Defencemen

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
In the latest 32 thoughts, Friedman mentions that teams have been calling Winnipeg about their D:

“Just something I was looking out for. You know, Winnipeg has a lot of D and I think there’s been some talk ‘do they clear up the logjam’. Do they make some moves to sort of free it up a bit. I think teams have called them, teams that are short on D, I think have called Winnipeg and said ‘what are you doing?’. I think what they’ve told people is they’re not going to do anything just for the sake of doing it. They understand there is interest, and maybe some guys would like to play more, but they are determined to do what they think is best for themselves.”

The Jet's have a log jam, especially on the left side and a few guys in the AHL banging on the door (Heinola and Chisholm). Jets need some more offence, preferably a top 6 W (or offensive top 9W) to play either 2nd or 3rd line. WPG does have some cap space to work with.

Likely available
Schmidt (top 4 RHD - Shoots left but plays/prefers right side)
Dillon (top 4 LHD)
Stanley (LHD)

Unlikely available
Pionk (Top 4 RHD)
Demelo (Top 4RHD)
Heinola (LHD - would need a similar age/potential fwd as a return)
Samberg (LHD - ditto Heinola)

Not available
Morrissey (Top pair LHD)

Who is looking for D?

This is not a fire sale thread. The Jet's are looking to contend now and have an abundance of bottom 6/tweener FWD depth, Attaching a mid pick or a meh prospect to a player who wouldn't upsert anyone on the 3rd line would be of no interest.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
In the latest 32 thoughts, Friedman mentions that teams have been calling Winnipeg about their D:

“Just something I was looking out for. You know, Winnipeg has a lot of D and I think there’s been some talk ‘do they clear up the logjam’. Do they make some moves to sort of free it up a bit. I think teams have called them, teams that are short on D, I think have called Winnipeg and said ‘what are you doing?’. I think what they’ve told people is they’re not going to do anything just for the sake of doing it. They understand there is interest, and maybe some guys would like to play more, but they are determined to do what they think is best for themselves.”

The Jet's have a log jam, especially on the left side and a few guys in the AHL banging on the door (Heinola and Chisholm). Jets need some more offence, preferably a top 6 W (or offensive top 9W) to play either 2nd or 3rd line. WPG does have some cap space to work with.

Likely available
Dillon (top 4 LHD)
Stanley (LHD)

Unlikely available
Pionk (Top 4 RHD)
Demelo (Top 4RHD)

Not available
Morrissey (Top pair LHD)

Who is looking for D?

This is not a fire sale thread. The Jet's are looking to contend now and have an abundance of bottom 6/tweener FWD depth, Attaching a mid pick or a meh prospect to a player who wouldn't upsert anyone on the 3rd line would be of no interest.

I could see a team like Montreal having interest in a big D like Stanley. Montreal does not have a lot of depth in terms of NHL defensemen. They also seem to be trying to add size on defense. Can’t go wrong with a 6’7 young guy with a little upside…

Montreal also does have depth at forward to move a forward…

Reactions: Burkeocet

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I could see a team like Montreal having interest in a big D like Stanley. Montreal does not have a lot of depth in terms of NHL defensemen. They also seem to be trying to add size on defense. Can’t go wrong with a 6’7 young guy with a little upside…

Except we don't need a Logan Stanley, we somehow are above 500 playing 4 rookie dmen and are expecting Edmunson back soon and Matheson back by Christmas. So we'll likely be sending one rookie down to laval and Scratching our worst vet (wideman).

We don't need to get another bottom pairing dman.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

No, we want nothing to do with Logan Stanley. We have that type of player in spades.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Likely available
Dillon (top 4 LHD)
Stanley (LHD)

Unlikely available
Pionk (Top 4 RHD)
Demelo (Top 4RHD)

Not available
Morrissey (Top pair LHD)

Who is looking for D?

The Oilers need a LD but needs to be dollar for dollar trade

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I could see Ottawa having interest in Schmidt but a) not sure if he'd waive and b) not sure what we could give up that would help the Jets right now. If anything, we could use an extra 3rd line winger of our own.

Seems like it would need to be a 3-way trade in order to make it work... and that's assuming Schmidt will waive to Ottawa

To WPG:
Adam Henrique/Jakob Silfverberg (some retention)
Picks ?

To OTT:
Nate Schmidt

To ANA:
Nikita Zaitsev
Egor Sokolov/Roby Jarventie
Picks ?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Is Dillon any good any more? The Oilers could sure use a guy like him if he's still effective.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Maybe for a RD, I doubt a lefty....

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Buffalo would be interested in Pionk or DeMelo, but they are apparently not available.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Is Dillon any good any more? The Oilers could sure use a guy like him if he's still effective.

I think he is pretty much what you see is what you get. He is solid stay at home guy that can move the puck ok. He plays physical and he can brain fart once a game by playing too physical. He has been solid for us and if you have a partner for him that skates well and gets involved in the offense he will sit back. He likes system play and criticized the jets for having no systems last year.

I don't think we want to move him though but he does block some younger guys from getting in the lineup

Would you guys ever consider moving say Holloway for Heinola? Heinola has a lot of potential he just is blocked getting into our lineup and I think he could be a guy who really excels with your top guys.

Reactions: CupofOil

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jets need 1 more Dillon IMO.

From an outside perspective, I can definitely understand the hesitance to move a guy like that in a season where you obviously intend to go on a long playoff run. Those are the type of D that teams tend to be looking to add for the grind of a playoff push.

If there is a log jam, the solution is probably to move a younger D somewhere they can perhaps get more opportunity.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he is pretty much what you see is what you get. He is solid stay at home guy that can move the puck ok. He plays physical and he can brain fart once a game by playing too physical. He has been solid for us and if you have a partner for him that skates well and gets involved in the offense he will sit back. He likes system play and criticized the jets for having no systems last year.

I don't think we want to move him though but he does block some younger guys from getting in the lineup

Would you guys ever consider moving say Holloway for Heinola? Heinola has a lot of potential he just is blocked getting into our lineup and I think he could be a guy who really excels with your top guys.
Thanks for the rundown and no chance on the Holloway trade. Holloway is a big part of their future plans.

What do you think would be a fair price for Dillon and keep in mind that the Oilers would need to send money out to make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad