LeBrun: Teams around the NHL have made Ottawa a popular target for trade calls.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Then I wish him well rebounding in Toronto. For a 13th forward, every team already has someone similar making less than half of what Ritchie is. He would continue to clear waivers again, and the only way I can see him moving is as a cap dump, either paid or as part of a larger deal. He'd be eating the salary and cap of three Senators bottom sixers, or in my case he'd make almost as much as our bottom line of Motte, Highmore and Lammikko. He's not an effective use of cap space, and at his cap hit, was a bad signing.
Every team has a player that paces for 35-40 points and leads his team in hits while fighting heavyweights? Not sure that's true.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
They're in the middle of a season they already planned for in terms of roster room and cap room and at the time he cleared no one wanted to mess with the mess they had created.

I think with a contract coming back of some sort. Or dangling him at another time (deadline, draft/FA) it may have a different outcome. If they have to use sweetners I'd guess they'd use a prospect they didn't care for anyway, just fluff, names added to a trade that don't matter.

So you admit a bad contract or a sweetener is needed?

Then why are the sens taking him for free when they don't need him?

Can you explain that because for the last 2 pages you have defended your position and said that rtichie is so good and that the sens would win he trade.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So you admit a bad contract or a sweetener is needed? Then why are the sens taking him for free?
No. Free is an option. The bad contract would be significantly lower than Ritchie's if they took one. Think Watson's or less so they can bury it, unless it's for something that they can use. They could also wrangle the sweetner depending on the contract they receive back. The sweetner would basically be prospects that probably wouldn't crack the top-15 in their rankings if the worst came to be.

I think Ritchie should have had trade value, but no one bit when he was waived. He's in a weird place.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Every team has a player that paces for 35-40 points and leads his team in hits while fighting heavyweights? Not sure that's true.

Is he pacing for 35-40 points? Because I have him trending at 22 points...and playing in the minors.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
No. Free is an option. The bad contract would be significantly lower than Ritchie's if they took one. Think Watson's or less so they can bury it, unless it's for something that they can use. They could also wrangle the sweetner depending on the contract they receive back. The sweetner would basically be prospects that probably wouldn't crack the top-15 in their rankings if the worst came to be.

The entire premise of your trade was that the sens are taking ritchie for free. Why are you changing your words now?

Everyone has been talking about the paul for 3rd+garbage prospect+ritchie deal. You kept on replying to people who were commenting about that deal and saying that ritchie was such a good player and the sens would win the trade. If your memory is that bad just go back a couple players.

Watson is not a bad contract.

I don't think any team is going to take ritchie and his 2.5 m for charity

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The entire premise of your trade was that the sens are taking ritchie for free. Why are you changing your words now?

I'm not really changing them. I literally don't care about prospect 24 on my prospect list. If it goes through and Mike Koster or Erik Kallgren is needed at the end of the day, enjoy. But, I personally don't think it's needed.

There could be a few ways this plays out I'm just putting my touch on it.

Watson is a shit contract. Look at Clifford's who just cleared. That's not a good contract. What's he pacing for points wise?

If you think another year of Ritchie at 2.5M is charity, you should see some of the beauties handed out this July 1st.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Everyone has been talking about the paul for 3rd+garbage prospect+ritchie deal. You kept on replying to people who were commenting about that deal and saying that ritchie was such a good player and the sens would win the trade. If your memory is that bad just go back a couple players.

Austin Watson 13pts in 63 games while PKing, starting 75% defensive shifts and being a leader off the ice = CRAP

Nick Ritchie pacing for 22 pts with 55% Ozone starts & his most frequent linemates being Tavares, Matthews, Muzzin, and Reilly = Not too bad!!!

Just ignore him lol. Guys head is up his heinie.

Look at Clifford's who just cleared. That's not a good contract. What's he pacing for points wise?

And he responds by comparing Watson to possibly the most sheltered player in the league, lol.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I must just be thinking about the rest of his career then. My mistake.

Not a bad pace for the 4th line for a meatball like Ritchie to be honest.

Perhaps not a bad rate, even 22 points, but again, both in terms of fights and point pace for a fourth liner, every team has a cheaper Ritchie. He's also missed just under 200 games in 7 seasons as well, be it scratches, demotions, suspensions or injuries, so again, I'm not seeing how he's a positive asset with his contract.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I'm not really changing them. I literally don't care about prospect 24 on my prospect list. If it goes through and Mike Koster or Erik Kallgren is needed at the end of the day, enjoy. But, I personally don't think it's needed.

There could be a few ways this plays out I'm just putting my touch on it.

Watson is a shit contract. Look at Clifford's who just cleared. That's not a good contract. What's he pacing for points wise?

If you think another of Ritchie at 2.5M is charity, you should see some of the beauties handed out this July 1st.

It's pretty clear you have no idea what your talking about.

Getting rid of ritchie helps the leafs to clear cap space. Why would teams do that for free or for prospect #25 on your list? There is zero incentive for them to help the leafs out. You keep on saying that ritchie is the incentive but can't see that because of your homer glasses.

Watson at 1.5m is worth it to the sens. Sure other teams may consider him garbage but he has value to the sens. Can you say the same for ritchie? He's so valuable to his team that they have scratched and on waivers.

Again it's about helping the leafs. Even if it's 2.5m that helps the leaf clear cap so they can go after a bigger player. No one is going to do that for free or for prospect #25 on your list.

Ritchie has shown this season that he is absolute garbage and because of that his value is less than zero.

Only reason you can't see that is because of your leafs bias.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Austin Watson 13pts in 63 games while PKing and being a leader off the ice = CRAP

Nick Ritchie pacing for 22 pts = Not too bad!!!

Well, if we're using the last two years, be consistent.

Nick Ritchie - 35 in 88 - 33 point pace - (that's including this year)
Austin Watson - 13 in 63 - 17 point pace

I'm glad he's a good guy, so is Kyle Clifford. He sucks too. At least half the time he can avoid getting his ass kicked.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It's pretty clear you have no idea what your talking about.

Getting rid of ritchie helps the leafs to clear cap space. Why would teams do that for free or for prospect #25 on your list? There is zero incentive for them to help the leafs out. You keep on saying that ritchie is the incentive but can't see that because of your homer glasses.

Watson at 1.5m is worth it to the sens. Sure other teams may consider him garbage but he has value to the sens. Can you say the same for ritchie? He's so valuable to his team that they have scratched and on waivers.

Again it's about helping the leafs. Even if it's 2.5m that helps the leaf clear cap so they can go after a bigger player. No one is going to do that for free or for prospect #25 on your list.

Ritchie has shown this season that he is absolute garbage and because of that his value is less than zero.

Only reason you can't see that is because of your leafs bias.
Ritchie is good at hockey and they could get him at the low price of free. I thought that may perk some ears. What if the Leafs don't need to trade him this deadline. Hell, what if they trade a list of other players with value and you miss the boat altogether. No reason to get greedy. The only reason he's valueless is because he doesn't fit into the Leafs salary structure and they need cap space. It is not his play or how good he is.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Austin Watson 13pts in 63 games while PKing, starting 75% defensive shifts and being a leader off the ice = CRAP

Nick Ritchie pacing for 22 pts with 55% Ozone starts & his most frequent linemates being Tavares, Matthews, Muzzin, and Reilly = Not too bad!!!

And he responds by comparing Watson to possibly the most sheltered player in the league, lol.
I like Watson, and he's one player on the Sens i would target,

but, Watson has 3 points on the season and played only 29 games, and on the Leafs he's a 4th liner, obviously
Ritchie has not come close to expectations, and has 9 pts in 33 games, and has played on every line from 1st to 4th, but never got PP1 time, and on PP2, Simmonds got the net duties over him, where that is pretty much the only place he's any good
on the Sens he'd be top 9 at worse case scenario, and likely be the net presence on PP1

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
This isn't Ritchie's first season of play. He scored 15 goals in last years shortened schedule and he looked fine on Anaheim too. He has a track record.

He isn't really that expensive when considering the upside.

You shouldn't be wasting your time here, you should be convincing the other GMs to help Dubas out!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I like Watson, and he's one player on the Sens i would target,

but, Watson has 3 points on the season and played only 29 games, and on the Leafs he's a 4th liner, obviously
Ritchie has not come close to expectations, and has 9 pts in 33 games, and has played on every line from 1st to 4th, but never got PP1 time, and on PP2, Simmonds got the net duties over him, where that is pretty much the only place he's any good
on the Sens he'd be top 9 at worse case scenario, and likely be the net presence on PP1

Watson has only played 29 games due to injury. He would never be healthied.

We have this one guy named Brady Tkachuk who plays net front on PP1, so I don't think Ritchie would feature there, and the marginal upgrade he could potentially be on Zack Sanford is not worth taking on the extra year + higher salary.

Ritchie might be top 9 for us, but that is a BEST case scenario. No chance is he playing in our top 6 when healthy, and almost certainly not our top 9 either. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he would be healthied when we have a full lineup. I would take him if we could send out bad salary for the duration of his deal, but no chance I give Watson for him or a 4th, let alone both.

Watson is probably a top 9 forward for us so far this season going by deployment and value, and fills an important role on the PK and taking tons of defensive shifts against tough competition... Ritchie does not fill an important role for us at all, doesn't fill any of the roles Watson does besides physicality, and we don't have anyone internally to step into that role.

Healthy Sens:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzle - Brown
Paul - Pinto - White
Sanford - Gambrell - Watson
Extra/4th line: Gaudette, Ennis, Tierney, Kastelic

What need does Ritchie fill??? He sure as hell isn't an upgrade on any of the top 9, and the only guy in that lineup who he can replace in any capacity is Zack Sanford.... who we already have 4 other viable replacements for.
You shouldn't be wasting your time here, you should be convincing the other GMs to help Dubas out!

Don't you know? We could get him for the low price of free! This offer might not come up ever again (despite it already being an option earlier and every team in the league passing on it) and is too good to miss out on (despite it already being an option earlier and every team in the league passing on it)!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm doing the best I can for him by punking you guys on here. I think it's fair to say I won that one. Now, the ball is in the Dubes court.

Don't you know? We could get him for the low price of free! This offer might not come up ever again (despite it already being an option earlier and every team in the league passing on it) and is too good to miss out on (despite it already being an option earlier and every team in the league passing on it)!
That offer came up with Galchenyuk and Clifford and then they were traded for free or better. Galchenyuk even pulled a prospect. :popcorn:

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
With how much you like Nick Ritchie, you guys should probably keep him.

He sounds pretty amazing.

Make some cap space so you can keep him long-term.

"How bout this trade?"

We don't want what you're offering and we don't want to give up what you want

"But what I'm offering is amazing and what I'm asking for is terrible"

Ok then

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Random tidbit but I hate this thread title. Teams around the NHL aren’t the ones making Ottawa popular target for trade calls. Ottawa/what Ottawa offers is making Ottawa a popular target for trade calls.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

My guess is taking on Salary dumps with picks for UFAs. There was a rumor Ottawa was looking for a player with term, they got room in their top 6 to take on a good project like Duclair was(who i wish had stayed but w/e)

Duclair isn't a project and why would a contending team weaken itself before the playoffs by trading away a key piece?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad