LeBrun: Teams around the NHL have made Ottawa a popular target for trade calls.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
If we are being honest Nick Ritchie is a comparable player to Nick Paul and he is significantly better than Austin Watson not including contracts.

The cost to retain Paul in FA would likely be around Ritchie's contract or even north of it on a multi year pact. Watson is overpaid for his contribution. The Leafs have Clifford as their 14th forward and he cleared waivers on a 1 year deal at 1M, Watson would clear as well. The Leafs don't really want Watson but he's buriable for a cheaper price on the cap than Ritchie, which is what I would do if he was traded to the Leafs and they could use another forward option going into the playoffs if Ritchie is leaving this year.

Last year Alex Galchenyuk cleared waivers and a couple days later the Leafs traded a prospect and AHL player for him, he signed another NHL contract after that with Arizona this summer. Kyle Clifford cleared waivers and then a couple days later the Leafs traded future considerations for him. Players that clear waivers are often traded after the fact. If you can move salary in the trade like Watson or you get futures like in the Paul trade, while also getting a comparable player back with term it kind of makes sense.

A 3rd + B-prospect sounds about right for Paul.

Mr. 2 goals is not a comparable player to Nick Paul. Paul can shutdown McDavid in OT, while Ritchie likely isn't in the NHL next year.

Reactions: NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If we are being honest Nick Ritchie is a comparable player to Nick Paul and he is significantly better than Austin Watson not including contracts.

The cost to retain Paul in FA would likely be around Ritchie's contract or even north of it on a multi year pact. Watson is overpaid for his contribution. The Leafs have Clifford as their 14th forward and he cleared waivers on a 1 year deal at 1M, Watson would clear as well. The Leafs don't really want Watson but he's buriable for a cheaper price on the cap than Ritchie, which is what I would do if he was traded to the Leafs and they could use another forward option going into the playoffs if Ritchie is leaving this year.

Last year Alex Galchenyuk cleared waivers and a couple days later the Leafs traded a prospect and AHL player for him, he signed another NHL contract after that with Arizona this summer. Kyle Clifford cleared waivers and then a couple days later the Leafs traded future considerations for him. Players that clear waivers are often traded after the fact. If you can move salary in the trade like Watson or you get futures like in the Paul trade, while also getting a comparable player back with term it kind of makes sense.

A 3rd + B-prospect sounds about right for Paul.

Lol sorry, you're wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Paul is significantly better than Nick Ritchie, not really close at all, and Watson is much more valuable to us. He's our most physical player, blocks more shots than anyone, very solid on the PK, and a leader in the room. And makes less. Sens wouldn't trade Watson for a 3rd, let alone for Ritchie. Yes, players who clear waivers are often traded. Not for value, though, and that is what you are asking for. Nick Paul has been our best player on the ice in games we've won countless times. He is a very good player. I would rather keep him around and let him walk than trade him for a 90th overall pick and a nothing prospect, and we should have no issue re-signing him. If we can't re-sign him, he will easily return a 2nd.

Ottawa has no desire to move Watson or Paul. Ottawa has no desire to add Ritchie, unless sending out equivalent, bad salary - which Watson and Paul are not. I promise you, if Watson will re-sign at 1.5m/yr, the Sens will do it.

You really, really don't know what you're talking about. I don't think the Leafs should trade Ritchie for Del Zotto, but it's much, much closer than what you are proposing.

Mr. 2 goals is not a comparable player to Nick Paul. Paul can shutdown McDavid in OT, while Ritchie likely isn't in the NHL next year.

Nick Ritchie is like Austin Watson, if Watson couldn't defend, had inconsistent intensity, was paid 1m more, didn't get in shooting lanes, was forced into sheltered offensive situations with offensive players rather than starting 75% of his shifts in the D-Zone, and was some random dude rather than one of the most well-liked and respected guys in the room.

What's not to like?!?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lol sorry, you're wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Paul is significantly better than Nick Ritchie, not really close at all, and Watson is much more valuable to us. He's our most physical player, blocks more shots than anyone, very solid on the PK, and a leader in the room. And makes less. Sens wouldn't trade Watson for a 3rd, let alone for Ritchie. Yes, players who clear waivers are often traded. Not for value, though, and that is what you are asking for. Nick Paul has been our best player on the ice in games we've won countless times. He is a very good player. I would rather keep him around and let him walk than trade him for a 90th overall pick and a nothing prospect, and we should have no issue re-signing him. If we can't re-sign him, he will easily return a 2nd.

Ottawa has no desire to move Watson or Paul. Ottawa has no desire to add Ritchie, unless sending out equivalent, bad salary - which Watson and Paul are not. I promise you, if Watson will re-sign at 1.5m/yr, the Sens will do it.

You really, really don't know what you're talking about. I don't think the Leafs should trade Ritchie for Del Zotto, but it's much, much closer than what you are proposing.

Nick Ritchie is like Austin Watson, if Watson couldn't defend, had inconsistent intensity, was paid 1m more, didn't get in shooting lanes, was forced into sheltered offensive situations with offensive players rather than starting 75% of his shifts in the D-Zone, and was some random dude rather than one of the most well-liked and respected guys in the room.

What's not to like?!?
Ritchie has been a more offensively productive NHL player than Paul throughout his career. He's also a much more physical player. He is not as good defensively, nice eye.

Austin Watson at his best is a 4th line regular. Nick Ritchie at his best is middle six regular. The fact that he PK's is a nice bonus. But, he's not a very good player and he sucks up the momentum from his team by being a large punching bag. One nice thing about having a fighter is that they win the fights in order to gain momentum or get revenge or to intimidate. Watson getting punched in the face accomplishes none of that.

Ritchie isn't really bringing back any value in my proposal. Like Galchenyuk and Clifford here, he's basically free.

Del Zotto doesn't fit into the top-7 here with the Leafs set up and they plan to be upgrading that area. Del Zotto will sit in the minors. Ritchie is a middle six player that is the Leafs 13th forward that they can sit on the sidelines until they get one injury, he is also pretty physical something they don't have much of. How does that fit the Leafs needs?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not sure if the players would want to leave the peaceful metropolis of Ottawa

Are you talking about the people downtown who are all smiles with concert stage and bouncy castles? I went by downtown last weekend to see what the fuss was about in the media, and everyone was super friendly. Very Canadian vibes. Not like when other countries protest.

Here's a funny video showing scenes:

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Ritchie has been a more offensively productive NHL player than Paul throughout his career. He's also a much more physical player. He is not as good defensively, nice eye.

Austin Watson at his best is a 4th line regular. Nick Ritchie at his best is middle six regular. The fact that he PK's is a nice bonus. But, he's not a very good player and he sucks up the momentum from his team by being a large punching bag. One nice thing about having a fighter is that they win the fights in order to gain momentum or get revenge or to intimidate. Watson getting punched in the face accomplishes none of that.

Ritchie isn't really bringing back any value in my proposal. Like Galchenyuk and Clifford here, he's basically free.

Del Zotto doesn't fit into the top-7 here with the Leafs set up and they plan to be upgrading that area. Del Zotto will sit in the minors. Ritchie is a middle six player that is the Leafs 13th forward that they can sit on the sidelines until they get one injury, he is also pretty physical something they don't have much of. How does that fit the Leafs needs?

This season ritchie has been garbage.

Why do the sens want a garbage player who makes 2.5m a year? To help the leafs out? You haven't made come up with one legitimate reason of why the sens would want ritchie. Why are the sens going to add in 2.5 mil for a garbage player when they can instead give a chance to their younger players to play? If ritchie would be traded he'll be traded for another useless player.

You keep on saying he's free but seem to be missing the point that no one wants a free ritchie.

Your expecting the sens to give you paul for a 3rd and a garbage prospect and take back Ritchie for what? for charity? Get real.

Paul has been much better than him this season. Sens can easily get a 2nd for him at the deadline.

Why do you keep on ignoring the point that has been posted multiple times that sens can get a better return just for paul (2nd) so why would they take a worse return and also add in a cap dump they don't need?

Do you seriously not know how to read?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Wait, so Ottawa is paying a 4th to dump Watson, but Toronto pays nothing to dump Ritchie? Watson is a fine 4th liner, he plays his role well. We don't need him to win fights. He hits, blocks shots, PKs, and takes tons of defensive shifts.... that's all we need from a RW. Ritchie fills no role for us. Comparing him to Paul is just laughable. Paul is an elite defensive player and scores just as much as Ritchie does, while playing way tougher minutes and way tougher starts.

I never said Del Zotto was a fit for Toronto. In fact, I said Toronto wouldn't do that trade. Ritchie is not a fit for Ottawa unless we are sending out equivalent salary, which can only be accomplished by sending out Del Zotto.

Again, I will echo my previous sentiment: you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to the Sens players. There is no point in continuing this conversation.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
This season ritchie has been garbage.

Why do the sens want a garbage player who makes 2.5m a year? To help the leafs out? You haven't made come up with one legitimate reason of why the sens would want ritchie.

Paul has been much better than him this season. Sens can easily get a 2nd for him at the deadline.

Why would they choose to take a worse return and also add a cap dump that they don't need?
A big, tough middle six forward with an extra year at 2.5M is hardly a bad contract. If you can get that one for free or dump some money and pick it up, that would be a good one to target. Ottawa isn't that attractive of a FA destination and it sounds like the two forwards I mentioned would be in play, so they'll need to replace them. So, I thought a comparable player + the appropriate deadline return for the departing forward in Paul or a better player for worse player in Watson and a draft pick were pretty good guesses on value.

I don't think they're taking a worse return. I don't think Paul will return a 2nd and depending on who that B-prospect is the package may be similar or better in terms of value.

From the Leafs end given their limited draft picks the past couple years I would be against paying a 2nd for Paul to play on the 4th line at best. The difference for me between Ritchie and Paul can't be a 2nd because Ritchie has an extra year. I just couldn't stomach a minor short term upgrade for a 2nd because they get out of the 2nd year of a perfectly reasonable contract.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
A big, tough middle six forward with an extra year at 2.5M is hardly a bad contract. If you can get that one for free or dump some money and pick it up, that would be a good one to target. Ottawa isn't that attractive of a FA destination and it sounds like the two forwards I mentioned would be in play, so they'll need to replace them. So, I thought a comparable player + the appropriate deadline return for the departing forward in Paul or a better player for worse player in Watson and a draft pick were pretty good guesses on value.

I don't think they're taking a worse return. I don't think Paul will return a 2nd and depending on who that B-prospect is the package may be similar or better in terms of value.

From the Leafs end given their limited draft picks the past couple years I would be against paying a 2nd for Paul to play on the 4th line at best. The difference for me between Ritchie and Paul can't be a 2nd because Ritchie has an extra year. I just couldn't stomach a minor short term upgrade for a 2nd because they get out of the 2nd year of a perfectly reasonable contract.

If he's so good why was he unclaimed on waivers. Because no one is going to pay value for him.

SENS DON'T WANT OR NEED RICHTIE. TO THEM HE IS A WASTE OF A SPOT AND CAP SPACE.

Unless a team is also giving up a useless player I'm sure every other team will feel the same way too.

Please if you think he has so much value feel free to trade him to the other teams. I can't wait to see how much value they get for him. If he's such a reasonable contract and he's basically paul like you claim I'm sure so many teams will love to pick him up :laugh:

Based of what? 2 games where you've seen paul play? Paul is a defensive beast and will easily get a 2nd. Even if you argue that a 3rd plus prospect is better my point is ritchie has no value to the sens.
If the sens can't get a 2nd (which I think they will) I'm sure someone else will offer a 3rd plus a garbage prospect so again why would the sens take on Ritchie's contract?

Regardless the fault in your proposal is ritchie and the fact that you seem to think he has so much value and the sens would love to pick him up.

Stop being a homer.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Good news!!!

The Sens aren't looking to trade Paul or Watson, so you made that up. Watson has almost 0 chance of being dealt, and Paul will only be dealt if he won't re-sign, which seems very unlikely!

Also, if the Sens are trading them, more good news! The Sens can actually trade them to another team besides the Leafs!

Also, you clearly don't know the players you are talking about! Or the Sens needs, whatsoever!

Jeez, it's like everything you've said is really uninformed, and yet you've insisted on repeating it 6 times!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Wait, so Ottawa is paying a 4th to dump Watson, but Toronto pays nothing to dump Ritchie? Watson is a fine 4th liner, he plays his role well. We don't need him to win fights. He hits, blocks shots, PKs, and takes tons of defensive shifts.... that's all we need from a RW. Ritchie fills no role for us. Comparing him to Paul is just laughable. Paul is an elite defensive player and scores just as much as Ritchie does, while playing way tougher minutes and way tougher starts.

I never said Del Zotto was a fit for Toronto. In fact, I said Toronto wouldn't do that trade. Ritchie is not a fit for Ottawa unless we are sending out equivalent salary, which can only be accomplished by sending out Del Zotto.

Again, I will echo my previous sentiment: you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to the Sens players. There is no point in continuing this conversation.
Statistically over their careers Paul produces less than Ritchie does. Paul also doesn't fight heavyweights and lead his team in hits. How dare I compare him to Selke nominee Nick Paul?

Ritchie is an actual player though. Watson is like Clifford, he's pretty much useless. You would get more out of Ritchie than the Leafs would with Watson. I didn't feel like losing 1M in cap space was worth downgrading that much before the playoffs without incentive. If the Leafs have to take money back the parameters change.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Statistically over their careers Paul produces less than Ritchie does. Paul also doesn't fight heavyweights and lead his team in hits. How dare I compare him to Selke nominee Nick Paul?

Ritchie is an actual player though. Watson is like Clifford, he's pretty much useless. You would get more out of Ritchie than the Leafs would with Watson. I didn't feel like losing 1M in cap space was worth downgrading that much before the playoffs without incentive. If the Leafs have to take money back the parameters change.

Lol. K.

The Sens get more out of Watson than they would get out Ritchie. I don't care about what the Leafs want, because we don't need to trade with them and we don't want to trade either player, or trade for Ritchie. It's very, very simple.

Comparing offensive production from 5 years ago is the only straw you have to grasp at. Ritchie sucks at every facet of the game besides physicality, which is not an area we need to address. If you think Ritchie is comparable to Paul, well, you're one of few. If he is dealt, I hope its to Florida or Tampa so he can neutralize Matthews for 6 games and send you guys golfing. Paul has many nights where we win because of him. Don't know if Ritchie has ever had that said about him any single night in his career.

But, by all means, keep on making a fool of yourself. Everyone reading this can see it except for you.

Now, for real, I'm done. Just know that you don't know what you're talking about at all and are viewing this through blue-shaded blinders.

Reactions: LeProspector

sens13

Mar 16, 2017

Why are the sens taking money back?
Why would the sens take a worse or even same return but also take ritchie too?

You do realize this helps the leafs more right? They get to dump 2.5 mil in cap space

Can answer the above 2 questions with an actual explanation?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Why are the sens taking money back?
Why would the sens take a worse or even same return but also take ritchie too?

You do realize this helps the leafs more right? They get to dump 2.5 mil in cap space

Can answer the above 2 questions with an actual explanation?
The Sens according to Pierre Lebrun could be looking to reshape the roster for next season, while selling...

Like picking up Ritchie for free or dumping some money out and bringing him in. He's a perfectly fine NHL player with a relatively minor contract. You're moving out some mid level grinders. Why not pick one up while the price is cheap? No reason to buy low, I prefer to buy high too.

I think it helps the Sens more. They get to trade out some assets like Paul for a premium because he's cheap and expiring and bring in a comparable forward talent in Ritchie for no cost where at worst they can repeat the process again next year if need be.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The Sens according to Pierre Lebrun could be looking to reshape the roster for next season, while selling...

Like picking up Ritchie for free or dumping some money out and bringing him in. He's a perfectly fine NHL player with a relatively minor contract. You're moving out some mid level grinders. Why not pick one up while the price is cheap? No reason to buy low, I prefer to buy high too.

I think it helps the Sens more. They get to trade out some assets like Paul for a premium because he's cheap and expiring and bring in a comparable forward talent in Ritchie for no cost where at worst they can repeat the process again next year if need be.

I just watched the video to see what Lebrun said. He said they wanna sell off UFAs that they aren't interested in bringing back AND have cap space where they can be buyers for guys with term to bolster their team.

Ottawa is obviously on the upswing of their rebuild.

That means they will look to improve the team by replacing certain players with better players.

That means shed the fat and then buy players who improve the team and bring them towards the playoff picture combined with the improvement of their young core.

They don't wanna replace fringe NHLers with other fringe NHLers or replace a 3rd or 4th liner for another 3rd or 4th liner. They aren't looking to make lateral moves. They are looking to make clear upgrades.

They wanna replace that fringe nhl player with a 3rd or 4th liner and then replace a 3rd or 4th liner with a 2nd liner. You know, take advantage of the cap space and assets to improve assets or make a quality for quantity trade.

Last edited:

sens13

Mar 16, 2017

LOL sens are looking for useful players.

Please if you think ritchie has value and teams will take him for free trade him to someone else.
Sens have enough bottom 6 forwards. They don't need another one.

If he's a perfectly fine player why is getting consistently scratched and was placed on waivers? He's so perfect but can't even crack an nhl roster

Only a homer is going to think they are comparable.

WOW are you actually being serious right now? Do you know how to read? It has been repeated multiple times the sens can't get a similar return for paul without taking on a garbage contract.

Only team this helps is the leafs as they dump 2.5m in cap for free. Please take your homer glasses off so you can see that

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Please if you think ritchie has value and teams will take him for free trade him to someone else.

If he's a perfectly fine player why is getting consistently scratched and was placed on waivers? He's so perfect but can't even crack an nhl roster

Ritchie needs a draft pick or prospect attached to him for even future considerations to be brought up. Just because a bad player can't crack a good roster doesn't mean he will be a good player on a worse team.

I both agree with you, and feel your pain.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Ritchie needs a draft pick or prospect attached to him for even future considerations to be brought up. Just because a bad player can't crack a good roster doesn't mean he will be a good player on a worse team.

I think this was supposed to be directed to the homer leafs fan? That's what I've been saying that ritchie doesn't have any value to the sens

Reactions: Cogburn

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

The Leafs are 30-10-3 and completely healthy up front. They're a tough team to crack. It's hard to imagine many realistic upgrades. Even on Ritchie as the 13th forward.

I've listed a couple trades in the past couple seasons where the Leafs traded for waived players. It happens and they play on NHL rosters again.

He has an extra year it could take them some time to find the right dance partner on that one.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think this was supposed to be directed to the homer leafs fan? That's what I've been saying that ritchie doesn't have any value to the sens

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you were taking that strawman position, just that I agree with your position.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
The Leafs are 30-10-3 and completely healthy up front. They're a tough team to crack. It's hard to imagine many realistic upgrades. Even on Ritchie as the 13th forward.

I've listed a couple trades in the past couple seasons where the Leafs traded for waived players. It happens and they play on NHL rosters again.

He has an extra year it could take them some time to find the right dance partner on that one.

I get that but there traded for similar garbage players or nothing

The sens don't need ritchie so they have no incentive to take him on for free while helping the leafs free up 2.5m in cap space.

You clearly don't seem to understand that

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

This isn't Ritchie's first season of play. He scored 15 goals in last years shortened schedule and he looked fine on Anaheim too. He has a track record.

He isn't really that expensive when considering the upside.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
This isn't Ritchie's first season of play. He scored 15 goals in last years shortened schedule and he looked fine on Anaheim too. He has a track record.

Then why have all the other teams not begged to add this amazing player to their roster?

Such amazing upside according to you

It's pretty clear it's because no one is going to take him unless their given an incentive or trading for a similar garbage player but for someone reason you can't comprehend that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Then I wish him well rebounding in Toronto. For a 13th forward, every team already has someone similar making less than half of what Ritchie is. He would continue to clear waivers again, and the only way I can see him moving is as a cap dump, either paid or as part of a larger deal. He'd be eating the salary and cap of three Senators bottom sixers, or in my case he'd make almost as much as our bottom line of Motte, Highmore and Lammikko. He's not an effective use of cap space, and at his cap hit, was a bad signing.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Then why have all the other teams not begged to add this amazing player to their roster?

Such amazing upside according to you
They're in the middle of a season they already planned for in terms of roster room and cap room and at the time he cleared no one wanted to mess with the mess they had created.

I think with a contract coming back of some sort. Or dangling him at another time (deadline, draft/FA) it may have a different outcome. If they have to use sweetners I'd guess they'd use a prospect they didn't care for anyway, just fluff, names added to a trade that don't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad